Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,909 members, 7,952,660 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:29 PM

How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? (16503 Views)

'I Regret Pushing My Husband To Move Us From Okota To Lekki Phase 1' - Woman / My Mother In-law Is Doing This , And She Is Pushing Me !!! / Nigerian Lady Advises Married Men To Have Regular Sex With Wives To Stop Nagging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by tunjilee003: 8:15pm On May 22, 2019
This year January I've just gain admission to study at kwara state polytechnic. Formerly, I was living in Lagos with my parents...

My dad told me I'll be staying with his siblings including his grandmother in ilorin....

I wanted to reject the idea of staying with a relative but i had no option than to oblige to his decision..

Ever since I started staying with them they usually complain for no reason all the time.. A times they complain I eat food fastly or they Just bring things that are not idealistic....

Most of the time I'm always depressed, I don't like being a liability...I feel like moving out....i need freedom....

Pls help a brother, your advice is hereby welcome.......

11 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by nofuckz(m): 8:32pm On May 22, 2019
you need freedom, you need advice too @ same time a glutton? okay!

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by chii8(f): 8:35pm On May 22, 2019
Maybe your parents wants the relative to help keep an eye on you, try convincing your parents you are man enough.

18 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by DaniDani(m): 8:37pm On May 22, 2019
1. Talk to your dad to give you money for accommodation after stating your experience with the relatives. If he grant your request fine otherwise;

2. Talk to your coursemates(friends) to seek for squatting with them. Promise to pay a token and make sure you do that to anyone willing to help you.

3. Explore the environment where you are and see how you can earn legitimately when you are free from school. Earn and free yourself from their endless nagging.

97 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by crackhaus: 8:38pm On May 22, 2019
Do your relatives live close to the campus or what exactly?

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by tunjilee003: 8:50pm On May 22, 2019
nofuckz:
i don't need criticism i only need your say

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by tunjilee003: 8:52pm On May 22, 2019
crackhaus:
yeah it's close to school
Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by tunjilee003: 8:52pm On May 22, 2019
crackhaus:
crackhaus:
yeah it's nearer to the school
Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by crackhaus: 8:58pm On May 22, 2019
tunjilee003:
yeah it's close to school
If that's the case, then I don't expect it will be easy convincing your dad to pay for alternative accommodation.

You can either try to hustle out accommodation on your own, or just put up with whatever is going on with your relatives.
Doesn't mean you shouldn't try talking to your dad.

8 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by armyofone(m): 9:29pm On May 22, 2019
Your parents should provide for your upkeeping and expenses...that way you are catering for yourself as a student. Not depending on them in anyway. They are indirectly saying you cost them more.
You know Nigerians like leaving responsibilities for "my brother, my sister"

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by Richy4(m): 10:17pm On May 22, 2019
Reading between the line, the way u described them shows you were not interested in them being your relatives. I might be wrong though.... According to U, U said his grandmother..(meaning your great grandma right? )... His siblings.. (meaning your aunts and uncles correct? ) ... if u wanna be living there why not try to accept them expecially when they were giving you food that u never worked for..

However, I will suggest that you try and make friends with reasonable course mate that are living off campus .. with that u can visit them twice in a week, u can even study with them during the weekend but make sure they are OK with u being around...so that u don't overstay your welcome. nothing is as embarrassing as being in a place that u were not needed ...Your relatives are looking for their space.. By staying away a little, u will be giving them what they wanted..

Also try and work it out with your dad..Tell him u can't study there the way u wanted ... That u are about to fail if u continue to stay in a place that is not conducive for learning.. let him assist you with a little money so u can share a room with someone

18 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by babythug(f): 11:36am On May 23, 2019
Sometimes deciding to be positive no matter what can make all the difference!

You have to stay there for now it is what it is.

Look beyond all that has happened so far!

Be a man, ensure your going and coming is within reasonable periods. Pick one chore- ensuring there’s water, washing the car, sweeping living room etc just pick it and get it done religiously! In other words earn your keep.

Avoid engaging and joining in thier chatter/gossip/idle discussions. Over familiarity can breed contempt. Keep your distance and maintain your dignity at the same time blend in to avoid being termed as proud and so on! You can figure that out.

Make concerted efforts- raising your own accommodation fees or getting your folks to set you up in your own place

However ensure to keep the peace , you’re family you all need each other

Good luck

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by piroux(f): 1:07pm On May 23, 2019
Very often, we say people nag a lot when we haven't found out that we ourselves have character flaws.

I'm not saying stay there but chances are if you leave to squat with a friend despite your bad attitude, you will have the same problems. Check yourself first, are your relatives complaints valid? Seriously, sit down and evaluate yourself.

Is it a case of a bad attitude or differences in upbringing and ideologies? If you're sure you are doing everything right, then you can look for alternatives.

If your character is flawed though, you will just make enemies all around. And everyone will be glad to see you leave their house. wink

Just saying.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by Nobody: 10:39pm On May 23, 2019
Have you told your parents how it is affecting you?
Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by Lexusgs430: 10:42pm On May 23, 2019
tunjilee003:
This year January I've just gain admission to study at kwara state polytechnic. Formerly, I was living in Lagos with my parents...

My dad told me I'll be staying with his siblings including his grandmother in ilorin....

I wanted to reject the idea of staying with a relative but i had no option than to oblige to his decision..

Ever since I started staying with them they usually complain for no reason all the time.. A times they complain I eat food fastly or they Just bring things that are not idealistic....

Most of the time I'm always depressed, I don't like being a liability...I feel like moving out....i need freedom....

If you moved out, who would fund your accommodation?...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by GeneralPula: 10:43pm On May 23, 2019
A times they complain I eat food fastly

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by Afolashade00(f): 10:43pm On May 23, 2019
Keep pushing, i repeat keep pushing cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by jaxxy(m): 10:45pm On May 23, 2019
Freedom to do what? Are u in captivity? The only freedom you need is freedom to read ur books.

If it’s about food or ur upkeep tell ur dad to send u more money so u don’t disturb ur relatives much.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by flowmama: 10:47pm On May 23, 2019
You need to be patient and understand the motive behind your parents' decisions to stay with your extended family.

Maybe to properly monitor you

Or based on the size of their pockets.

But the only thing you can do is to be patient. See it as an avenue for you to be more tolerant. Do not misbehave, disrespect or insult them. If need be, spend more time in school with your studies than home..

Avoid thinking of "squatting" with your friends as your parents may not like the idea and you don't join bad eggs...

In all, patient is key here as you would be done with your studies and you'll forget about all that within 2-3 years...

Goodluck

7 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by faithfull18(f): 10:48pm On May 23, 2019
Just behave yourself, it isn't easy accomodating people.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by Nobody: 10:50pm On May 23, 2019
Play more of PS4. Sex more and you'll be fine

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by Nobody: 10:51pm On May 23, 2019
Bizvat:
Play more of PS4. Sex more and you'll be fine
cheesy
Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by grandstar(m): 10:52pm On May 23, 2019
tunjilee003:

Try and tolerate the nagging etc. Eventually you should get used to it.

A point may come when they start seeing you as a member of the household.

Are you the lazy type or do you contribute to the house? Make yourself an indisposable asset and they will treasure you.

Do they have young kids? Can you help them with their studies? Do you do work around the house (I'm no fan of housework grin)

You can also buy snacks for the kids once in a while. It could be Inexpensive snacks like biscuits or wafers.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by nairalee(m): 10:52pm On May 23, 2019
You sef stop rushing food naa. How u can your great grandma be hustling food wit you and you will still be rushing it? You wanna send her to her early grave?

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by nairalandankrah: 10:53pm On May 23, 2019
Haba when I go be ftc
Anyway, just ignore it
Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by oka4ugoo: 10:53pm On May 23, 2019
You need freedom!

We know ur type. You need freedom to be messing around. You plans has failed oo! We no go allow you carry woman for sch.

7 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by nairalee(m): 10:54pm On May 23, 2019
nofuckz:

Me sef I wonder o. He wants everything!

He wants to finish the food before the poor great grandma has finished washing her hand.

He wants to stay alone yet he wants to obey his father

He wants to commit suicide yet want advice on nairaland

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by MadCow1: 10:55pm On May 23, 2019
TRANSLATION IN PIDGIN ENGLISH:: You don enter Uni now so you wan cut chain based on say you don be bigger boys...

Abi no be so?

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives? by bukkysam(f): 11:02pm On May 23, 2019

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? / Can One Love A Particular Child More Than Other Children In The Family? / 5 Ways To Have A December To Remember With Family In Your Hometown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.