Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,365 members, 7,826,436 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

Breaking News: Kayode Fayemi Emerges As Chairman Elect, Nigeria Governors Forum - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Kayode Fayemi Emerges As Chairman Elect, Nigeria Governors Forum (34259 Views)

Shettima To Senators-elect: Nigeria’s Stability More Important Than Our Pockets / Lists Of Nigeria Governors Who Have Range Rover Sentinel / Kayode Fayemi Wears Bullet Proof Vest Under His Buba For Campaign. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: Kayode Fayemi Emerges As Chairman Elect, Nigeria Governors Forum by plaindealer: 6:26pm On May 23, 2019
AreaFada2:

Oh yes, Malami has to be in the reckoning. If he becomes Chief of Staff or even SGF, it would be really interesting.

You see my brother, when you dispassionately discuss politics, some people here cannot take it. They want you to take their narrow ethnic views in their "own favour".

Even back in 2014, I was arguing here on Nairaland that Fashola should become a "Super Minister" with Power & Infrastructure" included in his portfolio. Buhari exceeded my expectation. Although I am an ardent Buhari critic, I was quick to commend his choice of Fashola. Not becasuse I have anything to gain from Fashola but only in hope that he can build on GEJ's work should Jonathan lose. And to relicate his performance in Lagos. When Jonathan lost, we became even louder about Fashola getting that Super-Ministry. It looked impossible considering federal character and need to reward many party loyalist. BUT it happened. I did not go against Fashola because he's from SW.

Fashola's very modest performance in office has shown to me that FG is a very inefficient system. Even the best can wallow in mediocrity in siuch a system. It needs a complete overhaul.

In a sane country, Fashola should be concluding his first term in presidency now. Buhari has no business in Aso Rock.

I hope people finally control their ego, work in national interest and let's give Fashola a chance in 2023.

Don't be too hard on PMB, PMB is a good president, but Nigeria is a bad country full of corrupt and unpatriotic people, even the average Nigerian is corrupt and unpatriotic in a lot of ways.

Fashola excelled and accomplished a lot in Lagos state because he only had to deal with his fellow Lagosians and legislatures from Lagos state, they signed his bills and approve his budgets for his projects, his programs and policies and he did not have to deal with antagonistic elements,
tribal and unpatriotic people and budget approving lawmakers from other regions and states with incompetent and corrupt dispositions.

Fashola easily built the Lekki Ikoyi bridge and the rest of his groundbreaking projects because of his fellow Lagosians and progressive-minded legislatures gladly gave him the money and go ahead, no stumbling blocks like other corrupt elements trying to cut their own slice of the action or tribal forces in Ikorodu, Epe or Badagry crying and shouting all over the place and when he sacked people for whatever reason, their people didn't threaten to make Lagos state ungovernable or blow up this and that.

GMB as a military head of state pushed through his ideas and policies because he ran a military regime with little or no room for other forces to interrupt or derail his agenda, but it's a different story in a democratic system where he must deal with the same antagonistic elements, tribal and unpatriotic people and budget approving lawmakers from other regions and states with incompetent and corrupt dispositions.

Fashola is not immune to the same challenges PMB is facing today because this country is not designed to work optimally simply because of our tribal and regional configurations.

1 Like

Re: Breaking News: Kayode Fayemi Emerges As Chairman Elect, Nigeria Governors Forum by AreaFada2: 9:56pm On May 23, 2019
plaindealer:

Don't be too hard on PMB, PMB is a good president, but Nigeria is a bad country full of corrupt and unpatriotic people, even the average Nigerian is corrupt and unpatriotic in a lot of ways.

Fashola excelled and accomplished a lot in Lagos state because he only had to deal with his fellow Lagosians and legislatures from Lagos state, they signed his bills and approve his budgets for his projects, his programs and policies and he did not have to deal with antagonistic elements,
tribal and unpatriotic people and budget approving lawmakers from other regions and states with incompetent and corrupt dispositions.

Fashola easily built the Lekki Ikoyi bridge and the rest of his groundbreaking projects because of his fellow Lagosians and progressive-minded legislatures gladly gave him the money and go ahead, no stumbling blocks like other corrupt elements trying to cut their own slice of the action or tribal forces in Ikorodu, Epe or Badagry crying and shouting all over the place and when he sacked people for whatever reason, their people didn't threaten to make Lagos state ungovernable or blow up this and that.

GMB as a military head of state pushed through his ideas and policies because he ran a military regime with little or no room for other forces to interrupt or derail his agenda, but it's a different story in a democratic system where he must deal with the same antagonistic elements, tribal and unpatriotic people and budget approving lawmakers from other regions and states with incompetent and corrupt dispositions.

Fashola is not immune to the same challenges PMB is facing today because this country is not designed to work optimally simply because of our tribal and regional configurations.

Well, GMB is part of those who in the past who did not help in uniting the tribes of the country.

Buhari admitted that he doesn't have the energy to do much anymore, that we should limit our expectations. Well, to me that's very selfish. We have some good, young progressive and dynamic people who have the energy and skills. Fashola is one of them. Nigeria needs to grow fast. We need speed. Like China, UAE, Malaysia and others did.

Are you telling me that Buhari has better diplomatic skills to build bridges across tribes than Fashola? I doubt.

We have to optimize the system so that we cannot be using that as an excuse eternally.

Yes, Bubu probably has some good intentions. But that's not good enough. Intentions have to be put into practice.
Re: Breaking News: Kayode Fayemi Emerges As Chairman Elect, Nigeria Governors Forum by plaindealer: 12:09am On May 24, 2019
AreaFada2:

Well, GMB is part of those who in the past who did not help in uniting the tribes of the country.

Buhari admitted that he doesn't have the energy to do much anymore, that we should limit our expectations. Well, to me that's very selfish. We have some good, young progressive and dynamic people who have the energy and skills. Fashola is one of them. Nigeria needs to grow fast. We need speed. Like China, UAE, Malaysia and others did.

Are you telling me that Buhari has better diplomatic skills to build bridges across tribes than Fashola? I doubt.

We have to optimize the system so that we cannot be using that as an excuse eternally.

Yes, Bubu probably has some good intentions. But that's not good enough. Intentions have to be put into practice.

You can not force people to unite, PMB through his actions did more to unite the country than the previous administration that used religion and tribe to divide the country.

For example, they don't like him in the SE, but he did more for the SE than past administrations combined and they still hate him, why?

Tribalism of course.

Ok, Fashola is young and dynamic and you applauded PMB for making him a super minister, but what happened to Fashola's budgets and projects like the Lagos Ibadan Express? Saraki/Senate slashed it and game the most idiotic and senseless justification, in fact, they used to summon Fashola every week to defend irrelevant issues simply because PMB blocked their padding schemes. Fashola didn't go through anything like that in Lagos state, but Fashola is now in Abuja where he can not get his way without other elements from the SE, SS and the North playing spoilers based on tribal, regional and unpatriotic reasons.

What happened when Amaechi presented the Lagos Calabar coastal rail project? They ganged up to eliminate the project and divert funds for the project to fund their looting and stealing constituency project schemes even the elected officials in the SS/SE region, the main beneficiaries of the project led the assault against the project and their people here on NL jubilated and sheered them on.

Fashola in Abuja cannot escape the same realities because the mentality and priorities of the folks in the SE/SS/SW and the North are not the same. They can not say, hey Fashola, we agree with you to site this or that project here or there because it's in our National interest to do so because we are not wired or configured to read and see things that way.

We have too many hands in the pot in Abuja and they all have all sorts of issues, mostly tribal, corrupt and unpatriotic ways.

Lagos is not Abuja and you can not force people to change.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Breaking News: Kayode Fayemi Emerges As Chairman Elect, Nigeria Governors Forum by AreaFada2: 3:06am On May 24, 2019
plaindealer:

You can not force people to unite, PMB through his actions did more to unite the country than the previous administration that used religion and tribe to divide the country.

For example, they don't like him in the SE, but he did more for the SE than past administrations combined and they still hate him, why?

Tribalism of course.

Ok, Fashola is young and dynamic and you applauded PMB for making him a super minister, but what happened to Fashola's budgets and projects like the Lagos Ibadan Express? Saraki/Senate slashed it and game the most idiotic and senseless justification, in fact, they used to summon Fashola every week to defend irrelevant issues simply because PMB blocked their padding schemes. Fashola didn't go through anything like that in Lagos state, but Fashola is now in Abuja where he can not get his way without other elements from the SE, SS and the North playing spoilers based on tribal, regional and unpatriotic reasons.

What happened when Amaechi presented the Lagos Calabar coastal rail project? They ganged up to eliminate the project and divert funds for the project to fund their looting and stealing constituency project schemes even the elected officials in the SS/SE region, the main beneficiaries of the project led the assault against the project and their people here on NL jubilated and sheered them on.

Fashola in Abuja cannot escape the same realities because the mentality and priorities of the folks in the SE/SS/SW and the North are not the same. They can not say, hey Fashola, we agree with you to site this or that project here or there because it's in our National interest to do so because we are not wired or configured to read and see things that way.

We have too many hands in the pot in Abuja and they all have all sorts of issues, mostly tribal, corrupt and unpatriotic ways.

Lagos is not Abuja and you can not force people to change.
Let's just make it simple. Buhari having raped our democracy and toppled our nascent democracy in 1984, it would something extra-ordinary for him to impress me. The people around me he punished just for doing their journalistic job. Publishing the truth. All the crawling like a democratic baby we're doing now is what we were already doing in 1979 to 1984. We should the a "mature married with kids" democracy by now.

You cannot set us back by decades, opened the chance for IBB, Abacha and all the turmoil that followed, cancel Lagos rail project, enjoy democratic presidency that you terminated other people (like Shagari, Ajasin, Olulonyo, Alli, Ekwueme, etc) and begin to form saint decades later, it doesn't work. In a serious country, Buhari cannot even become a councilor as a former coupist. Not everyone who lived through it has a short memory. I don't.

Buhari's govt inability to pass his bills through parliament where APC has a majority says a lot. Across the world, bills can be re-worked, improved and brought back to parliament. You cannot pretend to know how to play the checks and balance role/scrutiny of the executive better than NASS. Even with their faults, it still has some brilliant men. NASS is meant to be independent. If such bills and budgets are of excellent quality, they should be put to the public to debate and possibly shame NASS into pass it. If really it's great.

So Buhari was looking like "Lucozade" as NASS took the money and "ate" it? Lol. grin cheesy cheesy

Does it mean Buhari/APC have no liaison experts between Aso Rock & NASS? They could not sound out NASS before the bills or whatever is prepared and sent to NASS? To ensure NASS won't have much frown upon?

Like or not, NASS have the right to slash apparently padded budgets. The executive can prove that the cost of the project is appropriate by submitting opinions from independent experts, auditors, etc.

What exactly has BUhari done to unite Nigeria more? 5% and 97% jibe? shocked shocked shocked

And now you want to claim that Railway began with Buhari. All that coastal and nationwide rail link already planned and began partly already. Look up GEJ's rail plan. Part of Eastern-Port-harcourt and Lagos-Kano rail were back and working under GEJ already.

GEJ also built hundreds of Almajiri schools in the North to combat illiteracy that causes poverty & provides ample recruits for Boko. And Fed university in every state that hadn't oe yet, benefiting the North more too.

Well if actions and inactions by previous leaders including GMB have badly divided the country, of which Northerners have had 43 out of 59 years ruling, you cannot exonerate Buhari. He has been part of it. Or Buahari who condemned GEJ for fighting Boko ("fighting Boko Haram is fighting the North" ) can hardly be a peacemarker. Unless you have adopted a very mediocre standard.
Re: Breaking News: Kayode Fayemi Emerges As Chairman Elect, Nigeria Governors Forum by plaindealer: 4:04am On May 24, 2019
AreaFada2:

And now you want to claim that Railway began with Buhari. All that coastal and nationwide rail link already planned and began partly already. Look up GEJ's rail plan. Part of Eastern-Port-harcourt and Lagos-Kano rail were back and working under GEJ already.

GEJ also built hundreds of Almajiri schools in the North to combat illiteracy that causes poverty & provides ample recruits for Boko. And Fed university in every state that hadn't oe yet, benefiting the North more too.

Well if actions and inactions by previous leaders including GMB have badly divided the country, of which Northerners have had 43 out of 59 years ruling, you cannot exonerate Buhari. He has been part of it. Or Buahari who condemned GEJ for fighting Boko ("fighting Boko Haram is fighting the North" ) can hardly be a peacemarker. Unless you have adopted a very mediocre standard.

AreaFada2:
But those 30k BMC goons and jobless zombies say Buhari is the father of modern economic wonder. grin

I do not blame them. Na who chop belleful and buy dollar or invest will know about a failing economy. So BMC goons/zombies won't know. Since many still eat from mummy's pot and collect transport money from daddy, they won't know about inflation either. grin cheesy

I don't remember saying anything about who started or didn't start any railway project or opined anything about GEJ or even ancient history about Abacha. This is 2019.

I don't even get the jump from Fashola to GEJ building Almajiri schools, but of course, I know your type, I see where you are coming from and where you are going.

I'll pass.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Osagie Ize-Iyamu Wins APC Primaries In Edo / Unknown Gunmen Abduct Miyetti Allah Chairman In Kogi / President Orders Police To Vacate Rivers Local Govts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.