Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,550 members, 7,816,336 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? (2135 Views)

My Matriculation Number Was Used For Another Student After Graduating / University Of Abuja Students Beat Lecturer After Exams (Video) / After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Nobody: 4:30pm On May 24, 2019
Pls advise, I'm a second year engineering student.
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by theunnamed: 4:32pm On May 24, 2019
This is what i want to do too, i am all ears cool
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by professorval1(m): 4:34pm On May 24, 2019
Ensure your CGPA never drops from 1st class.

Be very close to your lecturers. Lick their ases if need be.

Dass all!

5 Likes

Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Nobody: 4:43pm On May 24, 2019
professorval1:
Ensure your CGPA never drops from 1st class.

Be very close to your lecturers. Lick their ases if need be.

Dass all!
I'm not on a first class but 4.11
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Davash222(m): 4:49pm On May 24, 2019
Endeavour to graduate with First Class, then always make sure you go to your HOD's house every weekend to help wash his/her cars.

Thank me later.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by professorval1(m): 4:49pm On May 24, 2019
Durentt:
I'm not on a first class but 4.11

Strive harder. Be a leader among your peers. Most lecturers are perfectionists. You need to stand out for them to see you.

A little dose of luck could come in handy too.
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Guest14(m): 6:00pm On May 24, 2019
With first class or 2:1, you can apply to any university for the position of 'Graduate Assistant' or Assistant Lecturer at other tertiary institutions.

The most important thing is start from somewhere. Look, I'm assistant lecturer but I was a teacher in different secondary schools before. So you want to be a lecturer and you're a teacher in secondary school, you're on your way.

Sometimes universities retain their best students, so another way is to strive and be among the best.
Lastly, it is not a must u become lecturer in the university u study, no there are thousands of universities out there.
Good luck!

3 Likes

Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Nobody: 8:19pm On May 24, 2019
Make a first class, you have a higher chances even without connect.
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by iTearHerToto: 9:42pm On May 24, 2019
Sell sniper angry
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Birniwa(m): 2:03am On May 25, 2019
Look at some dumb-ass olodos above me replying that you must be loyal to your lecturers/HODs as if they're the ones recruiting.

Look, this is all you need to do. Applying to become a lecturer pretty much is same as you'd do for any other job. Make sure you graduate with at least service class upper for the position of Graduate Assistant and another strong GP in related discipline Masters Degree for the position of Assistant Lecturer.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by reccy(m): 4:45am On May 25, 2019
Following. I think this post will also help me.
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Ocheinstein(m): 7:09am On May 25, 2019
Bros. In Nigeria now, if you want to become a lecturer, you must have the following.
1. A can't give up attitude
2. A shock absorber to absorb disappointment
3. A large space for learning
4 . A humble spirit towards your would-be colleagues. But most importantly, faith in God. I have been promised Job before by a VC. Without connection from God or from somebori, it's difficult. Brain Na for your Personal consumption, connection Na for everybody.
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by femi4: 7:37am On May 25, 2019
Durentt:
Pls advise, I'm a second year engineering student.
Get 1st class and do your Masters asap. Your employment is automatic especially as a product of the school
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by mytime24(f): 8:02am On May 25, 2019
#op if you want to become a lecturer

join APC wink shikina

Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:48am On May 25, 2019
Birniwa:
Look at some dumb-ass olodos above me replying that you must be loyal to your lecturers/HODs as if they're the ones recruiting.

Look, this is all you need to do. Applying to become a lecturer pretty much is same as you'd do for any other job. Make sure you graduate with at least service class upper for the position of Graduate Assistant and another strong GP in related discipline Masters Degree for the position of Assistant Lecturer.

Obviously, you're not familiar with the system. Those are the people that'll make your dreams come through.
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Kennyflyair: 9:23am On May 25, 2019
Birniwa:

Do I need to have a masters degree to apply as a graduate assistant?
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by QDream(f): 10:21am On May 25, 2019
Be humble
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Nobody: 10:54am On May 25, 2019
QDream:
Be humble
ok thanks.
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Nobody: 10:56am On May 25, 2019
femi4:
Get 1st class and do your Masters asap. Your employment is automatic especially as a product of the school
thanks. Excuse me to ask, if somehow I do end up with a 2.1, can I still be retained by my school.
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Nobody: 10:58am On May 25, 2019
Ocheinstein:
Bros. In Nigeria now, if you want to become a lecturer, you must have the following.
1. A can't give up attitude
2. A shock absorber to absorb disappointment
3. A large space for learning
4 . A humble spirit towards your would-be colleagues. But most importantly, faith in God. I have been promised Job before by a VC. Without connection from God or from somebori, it's difficult. Brain Na for your Personal consumption, connection Na for everybody.
thanks
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Nobody: 10:59am On May 25, 2019
Birniwa:

thanks I appreciate.
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Nobody: 11:01am On May 25, 2019
professorval1:

Strive harder. Be a leader among your peers. Most lecturers are perfectionists. You need to stand out for them to see you.

A little dose of luck could come in handy too.
thank you
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Nobody: 11:01am On May 25, 2019
Davash222:
Endeavour to graduate with First Class, then always make sure you go to your HOD's house every weekend to help wash his/her cars.

Thank me later.
thanks.
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by femi4: 11:02am On May 25, 2019
Durentt:
thanks. Excuse me to ask, if somehow I do end up with a 2.1, can I still be retained by my school.
yes, you can but its easier with first class cos you ll have little or no competitors
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Nobody: 11:17am On May 25, 2019
1. Have good result minimum 2.1
2. Have at least M.sc to enable climb fast don't wait oh
3. Have a relationship with your alma if you want to lecture there
4. Have strong connection because there are thousands looking for that opportunity especially in many public universities
5. Be ready to publish papers from time to time

If you don't have 2.1 then enroll for M.sc immediately to cover up
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by Birniwa(m): 11:51pm On May 25, 2019
PatrickOkunima:

Obviously, you're not familiar with the system. Those are the people that'll make your dreams come through.

I'm a lecturer in a Federal University, do you want to see my Staff ID?
Re: What Should I Do As An Undergraduate To Become A Lecturer After Graduating? by PatrickOkunima(m): 7:52am On May 26, 2019
Birniwa:

I'm a lecturer in a Federal University, do you want to see my Staff ID?

I'm not doubting you sir. It's possible to be in the system and not know what's happening. It's either you chose to see thing differently or your university is different.

It's what is obtainable in the Nigerian system and the universities are not exempted. It doesn't stop there. If one wants to grow as a lecturer, he must be loyal to his senior colleagues. That's what is obtainable at the University of Benin, where I had my first degree. While pursuing my M.Sc. in a state owned university, I observed such too. So, I'm not writing out of hearsay.

(1) (Reply)

NSUK Final Year Student Found Dead (Photo) / IELTS: UK Home Office Responds To Call To Exempt Nigerians From Proficiency Test / Oldest Optical Illusion In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.