Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,908 members, 7,821,154 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra (36562 Views)

Abonnema Community Celebrates 54th Year Of Libration From Biafra By Nigeria / IPOB Dissociates Itself From Biafra National Guard (BNG) / VIDEO: APC & GOGAN Launches President Buhari's 2019 Election Song? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by blackslayer: 10:02pm On May 26, 2019
I AM YORUBA AND I WHOLEHEARTEDLY SUPPORT BIAFRA.....EVEN IF MY "KINSMEN" HAVEN'T WOKEN UP TO THEIR SENSES YET....THIS IS NOT THE 60'S ANYMORE...BIAFRA CAN BE IMPLEMENTED IF A SOLID STRATEGY IS DEVELOPED ON EVERY LEVEL AND EXECUTED EFFECTIVELY....YOU SHOULD BE WILLING TO DIE FOR OR AT LEAST DEFEND WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN.FOR THE SAKE OF THE UNBORN...NIGERIA IS A FAILED PROJECT!!! NIGERIA IS MY NUMBER ONE ENEMY!!!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 10:03pm On May 26, 2019
these Biafra people will just b talking crap n playing victim as if they didn't kill Nigerian soldiers too, y fight an unnecessary war just to feed your ego? u are fighting Nigeria n u still expect them to b supplying food to u, does that make sense to these retards?

5 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Princedapace(m): 10:04pm On May 26, 2019
hollah123:
u can use any means to silent your opponent in a war, it's allowed. pikin wey talk say him stubborn Na hunger go teach am lesson. as regards d research respondent, bro take that to upper iweka, there u have people who reason like u waiting for u there

No, u can't use all means during war. Go and read international war rules and guidelines. If everything is allowed, then some countries would av wiped out Nigeria from planet earth.

As for ur reply regarding the survey, thanks. I hope u ever get scholarship to do a PhD someday in Florida.. Until then, pray for a better life becus this one u are living here is hell fire bro.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 10:09pm On May 26, 2019
Princedapace:

No, u can't use all means during war. Go and read international war rules and guidelines. If everything is allowed, then some countries would av wiped out Nigeria from planet earth.

As for ur reply regarding the survey, thanks. I hope u ever get scholarship to do a PhD someday in Florida.. Until then, pray for a better life becus this one u are living here is hell fire bro.
shut that trap bro, u are fighting me n u are talking about rules and guidelines,does that make any sense to u? so u expect me to follow rules n guidelines by empowering my opponent against me? guy, reason this thing now, it's like giving your opponent cutlass to behead u, who does that? who remembers any rules in war front, in case u don't know it's no man's territory because the bravest can die b4 d coward so u do anything to survive. those days when riot dey happen, guy u dey remember rule?

3 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by blackslayer: 10:11pm On May 26, 2019
hollah123:
these Biafra people will just b talking crap n playing victim as if they didn't kill Nigerian soldiers too, y fight an unnecessary war just to feed your ego? u are fighting Nigeria n u still expect them to b supplying food to u, does that make sense to these retards?

YOU ARE STVPID...THEY FOUGHT A WAR BECAUSE THEY BELIEVE IN SELF DETERMINATION...THEY BELIEVE NIGERIA AS A CONSTRUCT WAS PULLING THEM DOWN AND WANTED OUT.....IT IS NOT BY FORCE TO REMAIN MARRIED TO SOMEONE YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN COMMON WITH....WHEN YOU FORCE PEOPLE TO REMAIN IN A GROUP, THEN YOU ARE ROBBING THEM OF THEIR COLLECTIVE FREEDOM AND THAT IS ESSENTIALLY A FORM OF SLAVERY....STOP BEING A SIMPLETON AND LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE FROM A LOGICAL PERSPECTIVE!!! NIGERIA IS A FAILED STATE...TRUTH!!!! NIGERIAN'S ARE DOCILE, HOWEVER I BELIEVE THE DOCILE CAN BE DANGEROUS WHEN PUSHED SO FAR....IT IS A KEG OF DYNAMITE WAITING TO EXPLODE.....

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by PHIPEX(m): 10:14pm On May 26, 2019
hollah123:
u can use any means to silent your opponent in a war, it's allowed. pikin wey talk say him stubborn Na hunger go teach am lesson. as regards d research respondent, bro take that to upper iweka, there u have people who reason like u waiting for u there
It shows the level of your ignorance, go and read about prisoners of war and the use of chemical weapon.

Nigeria was frustrated and had to resort to anti-war tactice.

8 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by ndustan(m): 10:15pm On May 26, 2019
You don't know your history. Millions of your people were taken into slavery. Did you chest beat? We can't be anybody's slave. Our fathers saw that nothing much can come out of this forced union & decided to leave. If not for foreign powers they called to back them up, we would have been d greatest country in Africa.
quote author=solmusdesigns post=78748060]

500000 people starved to death, while another 500000 were eating by the surviving hungry biafrans

Moral of the story

Before shamelessly starting a fight with people feeding you, make sure you are self sufficient.

God hates proud people and chestbeating trouble cuaser, and he always destroys the agressive and humiliate them, while the humble are always triumphant.

.[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Nobody: 10:18pm On May 26, 2019
I remember this priest! I watched his interview in a Biafran war clip reposted on Facebook by Vanguard newspaper. He's truly a hero. Rest In Peace Father!

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 10:19pm On May 26, 2019
blackslayer:

YOU ARE STVPID...THEY FOUGHT A WAR BECAUSE THEY BELIEVE IN SELF DETERMINATION...THEY BELIEVE NIGERIA AS A CONSTRUCT WAS PULLING THEM DOWN AND WANTED OUT.....IT IS NOT BY FORCE TO REMAIN MARRIED TO SOMEONE YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN COMMON WITH....WHEN YOU FORCE PEOPLE TO REMAIN IN A GROUP, THEN YOU ARE ROBBING THEM OF THEIR COLLECTIVE FREEDOM AND THAT IS ESSENTIALLY A FORM OF SLAVERY....STOP BEING A SIMPLETON AND LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE FROM A LOGICAL PERSPECTIVE!!! NIGERIA IS A FAILED STATE...TRUTH!!!! NIGERIAN'S ARE DOCILE, HOWEVER I BELIEVE THE DOCILE CAN BE DANGEROUS WHEN PUSHED SO FAR....IT IS A KEG OF DYNAMITE WAITING TO EXPLODE.....
boy,u have started chestbeating again e no dey tire u? go n ask your grandparents who removed seccession clause from the constitution when a Yoruba man suggested d idea. it was an igbo man who opposed seccession clause because in his myopic thinking he thought igbos will rule Nigeria forever but see where d stupidity of your forefathers landed u now. it's just like d case of a man who believe he will bully his roommates n he doesn't want them to escape so he locked d door n threw out the keys. when things turn around he was bullied n no escape route for him. so boy, just deal with it. udo

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by idonhammer: 10:20pm On May 26, 2019
Just register as a woman with beautiful profile picture,i am sure you will get more than 1600 respondents in one hour...Just do it for your friend.
Princedapace:
I am still trying to understand why the Nigerian govt along with supports from at least three strong countries in war could only defeat a small nation by implementing an anti war tactics. I mean using hunger as a tactics was a low life. There are some things u don't do during war.

Any ways, it is a gone game. I am still trying to understand how the Biafrans did it shaaa..

We are still hoping to get 1600 respondents for my friend's PhD survey questionaire. Pls, you can be of help.

Pls guys, a friend of mine is doing her PhD in the university of Florida.

She needs our help. She has her survey questionnaire crafted online. She is understudying birth control in Nigeria. That is a very interesting topic. She needs 1600 respondents for this research. You can participate. Survey takes less than 20 minutes.

Pls, to help her with your views about birth control, kindly check my profile and see the link on my signature. Just click the link and the survey page will open. It is done online and easy. Thank u so much. Don't forget to share with your friends too.

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 10:21pm On May 26, 2019
ndustan:

You don't know your history. Millions of your people were taken into slavery. Did you chest beat? We can't be anybody's slave. Our fathers saw that nothing much can come out of this forced union & decided to leave. If not for foreign powers they called to back them up, we would have been d greatest country in Africa.
quote author=solmusdesigns post=78748060]

500000 people starved to death, while another 500000 were eating by the surviving hungry biafrans

Moral of the story

Before shamelessly starting a fight with people feeding you, make sure you are self sufficient.

God hates proud people and chestbeating trouble cuaser, and he always destroys the agressive and humiliate them, while the humble are always triumphant.

but your fathers were d one who rejected d idea of seccession clause in d constitution, I guess u need to read about it

1 Like

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Nobody: 10:22pm On May 26, 2019
RIP great man.

1 Like

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by blackslayer: 10:22pm On May 26, 2019
hollah123:
boy,u have started chestbeating again e no dey tire u? go n ask your grandparents who removed seccession clause from the constitution when a Yoruba man suggested d idea. it was an igbo man who opposed seccession clause because in his myopic thinking he thought igbos will rule Nigeria forever but see where d stupidity of your forefathers landed u now. it's just like d case of a man who believe he will bully his roommates n he doesn't want them to escape so he locked d door n threw out the keys. when things turn around he was bullied n no escape route for him. so boy, just deal with it. udo

I DIDN'T BOTHER TO READ THE REST OF YOUR NONSENSE.....YOU CARE ABOUT RULING WHILE THEY CARE ABOUT PROGRESSION.....IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO RULES...WHAT MATTERS IS PROGRESS.....DEAL WITH WHAT? I WILL LIKE TO DEAL WITH YOU IS WHAT I WANNA DO...YOU NEED TO SHVT THAT YOUR BASKET MOUTH BEFORE I KICK YOUR HEAD INTO YOUR STOMACH F00L!!!

3 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 10:22pm On May 26, 2019
PHIPEX:
It shows the level of your ignorance, go and read about prisoners of war and the use of chemical weapon.

Nigeria was frustrated and had to resort to anti-war tactice.
so if hunger is an anti war tactic, it worked real good for Nigeria then cos it brought d chestbeaters back to their senses

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by wink2015(m): 10:22pm On May 26, 2019
Godhead4:
Fr Gerry Gogan, who has died in his 92nd year, was one of the dwindling band of Irish missionaries expelled from Nigeria after the civil war of 1967-1970. A member of the Spiritan order (historically called the Holy Ghost Fathers in English-speaking countries), he served for 17 years in that country

He learned to speak Igbo, the major language of eastern Nigeria, and was loyal to his flock when it mattered most. After the civil war broke out, he returned from leave into the breakaway state of Biafra on an aircraft which landed at night on a stretch of road converted into makeshift airstrip, in complete darkness and under threat of anti-aircraft fire from Nigerian forces. Much to the discomfort of he and other missionaries, they couldn’t smoke for fear the glow of the cigarettes would betray the aircraft. As a pastor in blockaded Biafra he oversaw over a dozen feeding stations linked to 27 refugee camps.

The defeat of Biafran forces in January 1970 also ended his stay in Nigeria, as he and his colleagues were expelled by the Nigerian government, which perceived them as collaborators with and even encouragers of the Biafran rebels.

Biafra had a large Catholic population due to Irish missionaries’ work over many years. Many of the missionaries saw paralells between the creation of Biafra and the Irish War of Independence. At least half a million Biafrans died from hunger and hunger-linked diseases, as the Nigerian central government starved the secessionists. This generated huge sympathy for Biafra among the Irish public. The charity Concern Worldwide had its origins in the efforts of Irish Holy Ghost Fathers – most notebly Fr Aengus Finucane – to subvert the Nigerian blockade.

Tension

The government of the day did not share the popular sympathy with Biafra, and there was some tension with the Spiritans. One diplomat reported home on Nigerian allegations they were “impertinent busybodies from abroad”.

As the Spiritans were being ejected from the country, Nigerian journalists taunted them. Gogan responded by sticking his tongue out and was rewarded by his picture appearing in the newspapers.

After Nigeria, Gogan was stationed in Ireland for a short time, then was posted to Liberia. Missionaries had a saying that, while “Nigeria breaks men’s backs, Liberia breaks men’s souls”. But he played an important part in the church during his half-dozen years there. Based in the east of the country, he translated the Mass into Mende, one of the country’s major languages.

As well as being a missionary, Gogan was was a poet and self-published a volume, Life Duets, containing more than 100 poems.

Gerard Michael Gogan was born in Rathmines, Dublin, in June 1927, the eldest of six boys and two girls to Michael Gogan, a newsagent, and his wife May (née Ryan). Both parents were Dubliners. He received national schooling at St Louis national school in Rathmines, then proceeded to St Mary’s College, also in Rathmines.

The Spiritans ran the college. At an early age, he decided on the religious life. After the Leaving Certificate, he entered the Spiritan novitiate at Kilshane in Co Tipperary. After a year, he moved to the Spiritans’ missionary college at Kimmage Manor in Dublin to study philosophy and theology, and finally to Clonliffe College.

After ordination there in 1953, he sailed to Nigeria with a couple of dozen other Irish missionaries. It would be 60 years before Ireland became his permanent home again.

After Liberia, he was moved to Australia in 1976. First he was based in Melbourne, next in Brisbane. As age caught up with him, be became chaplain to a nursing home on Queensland’s ‘Gold Coast’. In the nursing home, he was famous for organising singalongs as therapy for residents. He only returned permanently to Ireland only about six years ago.

He was a man of compassion and wisdom who gave witness to a down-to-earth Christianity. He is survived by his sisters Marie and Eileen, and brothers Tom, Lorcan and Niall. He was predeceased by his brothers John and Bernard

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/gerry-gogan-obituary-irish-priest-expelled-from-biafra-1.3903162?mode=amp

After the Biafra - Nigeria civil war The then head of state of Nigeria, General Yakubu Gowon said No Victor! No Vanquish

But the reported expulsion of this Irish priest suggests that the federal government did not forgive the Biafrans and its ally.

3 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Princedapace(m): 10:24pm On May 26, 2019
hollah123:
shut that trap bro, u are fighting me n u are talking about rules and guidelines,does that make any sense to u? so u expect me to follow rules n guidelines by empowering my opponent against me? guy, reason this thing now, it's like giving your opponent cutlass to behead u, who does that? who remembers any rules in war front, in case u don't know it's no man's territory because the bravest can die b4 d coward so u do anything to survive. those days when riot dey happen, guy u dey remember rule?

My brother, we aren't fighting. If not for international war rules, Israel would have wiped out some countries.. There are rules guiding the international world during war. It is just like poisoning water in the name of war. It is not a war tactics. Go read these things up. I don't have energy for this.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 10:24pm On May 26, 2019
blackslayer:

I DIDN'T BOTHER TO READ THE REST OF YOUR NONSENSE.....YOU CARE ABOUT RULING WHILE THEY CARE ABOUT PROGRESSION.....IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO RULES...WHAT MATTERS IS PROGRESS.....DEAL WITH WHAT? I WILL LIKE TO DEAL WITH YOU IS WHAT I WANNA DO...YOU NEED TO SHVT THAT YOUR BASKET MOUTH BEFORE I KICK YOUR HEAD INTO YOUR STOMACH F00L!!!
boy,i see u are in sifia pain. I will really appreciate it if you can slap me through d phone. fool, till they will wipe out your generation u won't stop saying what u can't do

3 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Princedapace(m): 10:25pm On May 26, 2019
idonhammer:
Just register as a woman with beautiful profile picture,i am sure you will get more than 1600 respondents in one hour...Just do it for your friend.

Hahahaha.. This sounds interesting.. Unfortunately, this may not work anymore since many already know this post here.

1 Like

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 10:25pm On May 26, 2019
Princedapace:

My brother, we aren't fighting. If not for international war rules, Israel would have wiped out some countries.. There are rules guiding the international world during war. It is just like poisoning water in the name of war. It is not a war tactics. Go read these things up. I don't have energy for this.
guy forget what u read on paper, war is more than paper work

1 Like

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Princedapace(m): 10:26pm On May 26, 2019
hollah123:
guy forget what u read on paper, war is more than paper work

I am telling u if not for rules and guides, Israel for don wipe out some countries from the surface of the earth..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by higgs: 10:26pm On May 26, 2019
RIP Father

1 Like

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by idonhammer: 10:29pm On May 26, 2019
You are right.

Princedapace:

Hahahaha.. This sounds interesting.. Unfortunately, this may not work anymore since many already know this post here.
Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 10:30pm On May 26, 2019
Princedapace:

I am telling u if not for rules and guides, Israel for don wipe out some countries from the surface of the earth..
the Israelite.... Weh-done

1 Like

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by BuhariAdvocate: 10:31pm On May 26, 2019
He just wasted his life for nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by oforjide: 10:34pm On May 26, 2019
A true friend of biafrans,my uncle who was conscripted into the biafran army at the age of 16yrs have told me a lot about u. U will forever remain in our heart,may ur gentle soul rest in peace.

8 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by blackslayer: 10:34pm On May 26, 2019
hollah123:
boy,i see u are in sifia pain. I will really appreciate it if you can slap me through d phone. fool, till they will wipe out your generation u won't stop saying what u can't do

LOL...WHO IS SCARED OF GETTING WIPED OUT NIGGA SHVT THE FVCK UP AND BE HUMBLE....KNOW YOUR PLACE PEASANT!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Godhead4(m): 10:37pm On May 26, 2019
Princedapace:

It may still. Its normal for you and someone else try to help ur friend - same person.

1 Like

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Akingun1990: 10:38pm On May 26, 2019
Built2last:
Ok

We will never forget
The picture depicting the innocent little ones stretching forth their hand just to have something to eat is just too terrible...
can't imagine these kind of pics..
We must remember them, and these mustn't be done by ipob alone or massob, it was actually more than a war.......

4 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by degamemaster(m): 10:39pm On May 26, 2019
God bless Biafraland.

Rest in peace soldier of Christ and Biafra. We will never forget....
May 30th is for you and millions of other truth and freedom loving souls wasted by the evil empire called Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 10:40pm On May 26, 2019
blackslayer:

LOL...WHO IS SCARED OF GETTING WIPED OUT NIGGA SHVT THE FVCK UP AND BE HUMBLE....KNOW YOUR PLACE PEASANT!!!!!
boy,dont forget python is warming up against may 30th

1 Like

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by blackslayer: 10:41pm On May 26, 2019
hollah123:
boy,dont forget python is warming up against may 30th

ZOOGERIAN ARMY THAT CANNOT TAME BOKO-HARAM...LAUGHABLE...I'M TELLING YOU...IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME...ONCE PEOPLE REALIZE WHAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY CAPABLE OF DOING THEN THE LIKES OF YOU WILL SUCK THEIR OWN DICK

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria Loses ₦2 Billion Daily To Twitter Ban - NetBlocks (Sahara Reporters) / I Am Sorry For Calling My People Saboteur: Emeka Ihedioha Tenders Apology / FG Makes N2tn Taxes From Google, Facebook, Foreign Firms – Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.