Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,353 members, 7,819,255 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra (36553 Views)

Abonnema Community Celebrates 54th Year Of Libration From Biafra By Nigeria / IPOB Dissociates Itself From Biafra National Guard (BNG) / VIDEO: APC & GOGAN Launches President Buhari's 2019 Election Song? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 10:45pm On May 26, 2019
blackslayer:

ZOOGERIAN ARMY THAT CANNOT TAME BOKO-HARAM...LAUGHABLE...I'M TELLING YOU...IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME...ONCE PEOPLE REALIZE WHAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY CAPABLE OF DOING THEN THE LIKES OF YOU WILL SUCK THEIR OWN DICK
they can't tame boko Haram but they are taming ipob miscreant? at least them sabi do one thing. they are not totally useless

3 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by dokyOloye: 10:46pm On May 26, 2019
hollah123:
these Biafra people will just b talking crap n playing victim as if they didn't kill Nigerian soldiers too, y fight an unnecessary war just to feed your ego? u are fighting Nigeria n u still expect them to b supplying food to u, does that make sense to these retards?
Afonja muslimumu,if you don't know history why not shut up instead of engaging in your holy taqqiya lies.
Unarmed Igbo civilians were being killed all over the North for months and useless Gowon refused to do anything about it yet to You,it is about ego.
Back to d topic.
God bless the Irish missionaries for bringing schools and hospitals.Most of d occupant of d zoo don't understand d love Igbos have for d catholic church.
They brought education, modern healthcare etc while Dan fodio and Islam brought unending war,bombing,illiteracy, irresponsible childbirth and every bad thing

3 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Akingun1990: 10:48pm On May 26, 2019
hollah123:
these Biafra people will just b talking crap n playing victim as if they didn't kill Nigerian soldiers too, y fight an unnecessary war just to feed your ego? u are fighting Nigeria n u still expect them to b supplying food to u, does that make sense to these retards?
We must all sit down and talk about this stuff, so many years down the line, it's still the same stuff, until we find a lasting solution and appease the Easterners, a great deal, we still going to be on this same issue year in, year out...
Yes, it was actually a war between both sides, but Easterners lost so many people....
The Easterners were fighting for a cause collectively, which was to have a greener pasture, for the duration of the war, No infighting between the Igbo's, its just terrible the state the nation Nigeria is Right now....
just too bad........

3 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by paulhunter: 10:53pm On May 26, 2019
ENTERNAL REST GRANT HIM OH! JAH. FADA BIAFRANS NEED PRAYERS PRAY FOR BIAFRANS FROM HEAVEN. RIP FADA.

3 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by englishman411(m): 10:57pm On May 26, 2019
Rip father.your name will forever remain indelible in our hearts,go into the great beyond with joy in your heart.God bless you.

3 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by kanco: 10:57pm On May 26, 2019
hollah123:
u can use any means to silent your opponent in a war, it's allowed. pikin wey talk say him stubborn Na hunger go teach am lesson. as regards d research respondent, bro take that to upper iweka, there u have people who reason like u waiting for u there
......you know nothing about war,even during ww2 some bullets were prohibited.

1 Like

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 11:00pm On May 26, 2019
Akingun1990:

We must all sit down and talk about this stuff, so many years down the line, it's still the same stuff, until we find a lasting solution and appease the Easterners, a great deal, we still going to be on this same issue year in, year out...
Yes, it was actually a war between both sides, but Easterners lost so many people....
The Easterners were fighting for a cause collectively, which was to have a greener pasture, for the duration of the war, No infighting between the Igbo's, its just terrible the state the nation Nigeria is Right now....
just too bad........
appease my foot!!! go n read history bro. who opposed seccession clause idea on the constitution? they thought they will rule for life cos of their greedy nature n later d table turned n they are crying foul. who started the coup? if they have forgotten, we still remember history n we will tell them. they truncated the first democratic setting of Nigeria so let them deal with it bro

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 11:04pm On May 26, 2019
dokyOloye:

Afonja muslimumu,if you don't know history why not shut up instead of engaging in your holy taqqiya lies.
Unarmed Igbo civilians were being killed all over the North for months and useless Gowon refused to do anything about it yet to You,it is about ego.
Back to d topic.
God bless the Irish missionaries for bringing schools and hospitals.Most of d occupant of d zoo don't understand d love Igbos have for d catholic church.
They brought education, modern healthcare etc while Dan fodio and Islam brought unending war,bombing,illiteracy, irresponsible childbirth and every bad thing
u want to tell me bull n crap story, let me school u a little. it was after the greedy igbos killed all top ranking officers of all tribes without killing any igbo top ranking officer that the problem started n to add insult upon injury they were mocking d north with the picture of nzeogwu on sarduanas corpse. that sparked d killing. igbos played with fire n they got burnt. so don't make it seems that the hausas just woke up someday n started killing the igbos. to every action there is an equal n opposite reaction, don't throw stones at others if u don't want them to bomb u

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Elliot2(m): 11:04pm On May 26, 2019
r.i.p. fr. Biafra shall recognise u and others who sacrificed for her in due time.

3 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 11:05pm On May 26, 2019
kanco:
......you know nothing about war,even during ww2 some bullets were prohibited.
war veteran... well-done

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Bede2u(m): 11:11pm On May 26, 2019
solmusdesigns:

500000 people starved to death, while another 500000 were eating by the surviving hungry biafrans

Moral of the story

Before shamelessly starting a fight with people feeding you, make sure you are self sufficient.

God hates proud people and chestbeating trouble cuaser, and he always destroys the agressive and humiliate them, while the humble are always triumphant.

lol....mumu...biafrans starved because there was no farming activity going on in igboland due to war....fo.ol...u were feeding them before 1914 amalgamation....

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Rapmoney(m): 11:14pm On May 26, 2019
hollah123:
u can use any means to silent your opponent in a war, it's allowed. pikin wey talk say him stubborn Na hunger go teach am lesson. as regards d research respondent, bro take that to upper iweka, there u have people who reason like u waiting for u there
Your words betray you as someone who has not grown. I'm sure you still live with your parents. You insult people because they express their views on a public forum? That's the height of childishness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Nobody: 11:19pm On May 26, 2019
hollah123:
u want to tell me bull n crap story, let me school u a little. it was after the greedy igbos killed all top ranking officers of all tribes without killing any igbo top ranking officer that the problem started n to add insult upon injury they were mocking d north with the picture of nzeogwu on sarduanas corpse. that sparked d killing. igbos played with fire n they got burnt. so don't make it seems that the hausas just woke up someday n started killing the igbos. to every action there is an equal n opposite reaction, don't throw stones at others if u don't want them to bomb u
I guess your mother will be proud of the nonsense you've been writing.

1 Like

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by dokyOloye: 11:23pm On May 26, 2019
Rapmoney:
Your words betray you as someone who has not grown. I'm sure you still live with your parents. You insult people because they express their views on a public forum? That's the height of childishness.
And he is the Shekau type of muslim too.

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by 1bunne4lif(m): 11:27pm On May 26, 2019
GeorgeTheCoder:
A good and great man who fought with the freedom loving people of southern Nigeria against northern expansionism.

Eternal Rest grant him O Lord; And let Perpetual Light shine on him.
and may His soul rest in perfect peace. Amen

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 11:28pm On May 26, 2019
Rapmoney:
no market for emotions bro, so u don't have to cry or wail

1 Like

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by 1bunne4lif(m): 11:29pm On May 26, 2019
All Hail Biafra!!!

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by hollah123: 11:30pm On May 26, 2019
dokyOloye:

And he is the Shekau type of muslim too.
so anybody who opposes your stupid wailing is a Muslim? just see human being reasoning. no wonder u people are ignored in running things. u all reason like cockroaches

3 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by engrnic: 12:30am On May 27, 2019
Ur kind heart and deeds went a long way in keeping my parents alive during that war..........R.I.P Sir.

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by CanadaOrBust: 2:33am On May 27, 2019
Godhead4:
Fr Gerry Gogan, who has died in his 92nd year, was one of the dwindling band of Irish missionaries expelled from Nigeria after the civil war of 1967-1970. A member of the Spiritan order (historically called the Holy Ghost Fathers in English-speaking countries), he served for 17 years in that country

A great man. A Saint. May his soul rest in paradise

1 Like

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by pazienza(m): 2:45am On May 27, 2019
ceejee:
whatever happens in d future, history will always remind us on that day that free men fought again operation and slavery, few stood against many. every biafran family lost a person at least. their sacrifices will never go in vein. yes we lost the war but the struggle is still on going. someday we shall sing a victory song and raise a flag of freedom. the sun will surely rise in d east, The land of my birth. May the Lord keeps me alive and healthy to witness that great.

Iseeeee!

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by bionixs: 2:49am On May 27, 2019
Ikechu12:

Irishtimes is now IPOB owned media, not Ireland. You're a fucking idiot
don't waste your time on tiger clawed face people. Tell the world that Igbos don't seek attention,we ARE attention ourselves. GOD made it so
Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by pazienza(m): 2:54am On May 27, 2019
Bede2u:
lol....mumu...biafrans starved because there was no farming activity going on in igboland due to war....fo.ol...u were feeding them before 1914 amalgamation....

Not only that.
We couldn't import food because Nigerians shot any airplane headed towards Biafra and couldn't allow us use the sea ports as well.
It's not like they were feeding us and that we couldn't feed ourselves.
More like they were sabotaging efforts by us to get food into Biafra.

There are some Igbo communities who didn't experience the war and hence farmed. Normally, these communities brought their farm produce to Biafran markets for others to buy. Nigerian government specifically didn't want this circulation of food to stand, as they were eager to make sure their starvation policy succeeded, so they targeted and bombed such Biafran markets full of mainly women and children.

6 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by pazienza(m): 2:59am On May 27, 2019
The Igbo has a lot of reasons to be grateful to the Catholic Church.
They helped us alot during the war.

Any Nigerian thinking that a time will come when the Igbo nation will ever forget and move on from Biafra is joking. Igbo is Biafra and Biafra is Igbo. Every Igbo man untainted by greed and selfish interests, will usually be sympathetic to Biafra.

The prayers of every honest Igbo man is that the effort of these priests and those of our people who died trying to create a functional nation for us , never be in vain. May we the living Igbos not only remember their efforts, but work assiduously to ensure we establish and gift to our unborn generations, a functional new nation, our fore bearers strived to gift to us without success.

God bless the Igbo nation and all lovers of freedom.

5 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by pazienza(m): 3:13am On May 27, 2019
Here is how Father Joe, one of the Irish Rev. Fathers who worked in Igbo land for a long time and stayed in Biafra throughout the Biafra-Nigeria War, described the Ibo (Igbo) to a team of reporters from Life Magazine in 1968: “Life (Magazine) has been dispatching teams to Biafra since June 1968, and now September, the beginning of the hot season, was on hand, we noticed a profound change.

Wherever we went, people tugged at our sleeves and held out their hands, hoping for a coin, a cigarette, or a kola nut. This begging was altogether new.” “The Iboman never begs.” Father Joe said. “He's much too proud, he wants to pay for what he gets. The Ibos are wizards at saving money. When one of them gets a job, he starts saving right away; first for a bicycle, then a transistor radio, and next a bit of land. Then he builds a house on it, gets a wife and before the first child is born, he is already putting money by for the kid's school fees. The Ibos are mad for education.” He continued, “Ach, you should have known the Ibo before the war, shrewd, clannish, competitive – exasperating and proud. Some called them the Jews of Africa and others said they were as bad as the Irish, and I'd consider it a compliment either way. You know that we Holy Ghost Fathers all ran schools here before the war? The way we played on the Iboman's competitive instinct was absolutely shameless.” “What kind of parish is this? I would say to the elders.

The school of the other village has an upstairs – Ibo talk for a second story – so they'd build me an upstairs and then I'd say, how can I be the Father here? There is a village not five miles from here that has a primary school and a secondary school as well. Do you expect me to spend the rest of my life rotting in a village that has no secondary school? So, up would go the new school and then I'd really put the screws to them: There is a settlement down Owerri-way that sent one of their boys to a university in Europe. Wouldn't it be a grand thing to have a university graduate of our own? And by God, somehow the village would scrimp and save until they had one: All that seems a long time ago now.” The determination and resourcefulness that once characterized the Ibo also preoccupied Father Joe.

We were driving out for a last look at Emekuku Hospital when Father Joe remarked: “There was a time when it was impossible to have a car breakdown in Iboland. You'd find yourself stuck somewhere way out in the bush and first thing you know, three loafers – two of whom had probably never peeked under the bonnet of an auto in their lives – would saunter up to see what was the matter. In no time at all using rags and string they'd have you on your way again.” Father Joe shook our hands before we boarded the flight out through the flak and said, “Remember now: however this thing is settled militarily, somehow, somewhere, something called Biafra will continue to exist.”(Breadless Biafra). This is the Igbo the world used to know and which has been destroyed by Nigeria.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thenigerianvoice.com/amp/news/97460/self-determination-for-the-igbo-and-all-easterners-now.html

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by anonimi: 4:11am On May 27, 2019
Built2last:
Ok

We will never forget

You Igbos need to step up the Civil war remembrance efforts and teach the history to your children in schools with excursions to monuments regularly to keep the memory alive as the Jews have done with the holocaust.
To be done quietly, steadily constantly creating new ways to establish the memories without wavering.
That is way better than making unnecessary noise about Lagos being a no man's land.

2 Likes

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by anonimi: 4:26am On May 27, 2019
anonimi:
You Igbos need to step up the Civil war remembrance efforts and teach the history to your children in schools with excursions to monuments regularly to keep the memory alive as the Jews have done with the holocaust.
To be done quietly, steadily constantly creating new ways to establish the memories without wavering.
That is way better than making unnecessary noise about Lagos being a no man's land.

Note that I used civil war and not Biafra war.
Big difference in terms of opposition by the usual suspects and their capability to recruit other antagonists into their ranks.
Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by mu2sa2: 4:49am On May 27, 2019
hollah123:
Spot on.
Re: Gerry Gogan Obituary: Irish Priest Expelled From Biafra by Rolings: 5:04am On May 27, 2019
Princedapace:
I am still trying to understand why the Nigerian govt along with supports from at least three strong countries in war could only defeat a small nation by implementing an anti war tactics. I mean using hunger as a tactics was a low life. There are some things u don't do during war.

Any ways, it is a gone game. I am still trying to understand how the Biafrans did it shaaa..

We are still hoping to get 1600 respondents for my friend's PhD survey questionaire. Pls, you can be of help.

Pls guys, a friend of mine is doing her PhD in the university of Florida.

She needs our help. She has her survey questionnaire crafted online. She is understudying birth control in Nigeria. That is a very interesting topic. She needs 1600 respondents for this research. You can participate. Survey takes less than 20 minutes.

Pls, to help her with your views about birth control, kindly check my profile and see the link on my signature. Just click the link and the survey page will open. It is done online and easy. Thank u so much. Don't forget to share with your friends too.

Everything is fair in war......you want me to feed you so you can have the strength to fight me more, why?
America commits tons of war crimes all over the world in wars they are fighting but to them it all seems fair.... Israel has blockaded Gaza for more than 7years now but Israel is far safer for that move and it seems fair to blockade a nation from air land and sea.......so in war. All is fair

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kemi Olunloyo: Names Of Victims On Lekki Tollgate Panel Report Are Fictitious / Seyi Makinde Buys 33 Operational Vehicles And 396 Motorcycles For Amotekun / Wardrobe Allowance: Ben Bruce Mocking Nigerian Workers — Osun Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.