Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,698 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside (7215 Views)

Which Nigerian State Forbids Married Women From Adultery / Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Cheating (Part 2) / 10 Things We Bet You Didn’t Know About Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by uche87(m): 2:17pm On May 30, 2019
Many people have expressed mixed feelings since information filtered in that a certain curse said to be a part of the tradition and custom observed in some parts of Delta state forbids a married woman from cheating on her husband. Failure to obey this tradition results in the death of her children and husband.

More impetus has been added to the story since photos of Regina Daniels surfaced online showing her being initiated into womanhood according to Anioma culture and drinking from a cup given to her by her husband, Ned Nwoko.

Netizens are worried if the curse is true or not, as some will not want to marry from such a place.

From extensive research which I have gathered, I will present the facts to clear the air on some false information being circulated about this particular tradition. I will also tell you what I believe.

First and foremost, such a tradition is in practice - yes, when a woman married to a man from Delta state commits adultery, it will not only result in the death of her children, her husband also risks losing his life if the woman fails to confess. It is a very well known tradition in the state.

According to the tradition, the cheating woman's family will be struck with mysterious death, starting with her children, then ultimately to her husband. If she doesn't have children, then her husband will be the one to lose his life.

But, rarely does it reach that level, because when such curse takes effect, the husband of such a woman is likely to know and take drastic steps to save his life and that of his children.

This custom and tradition is popular among the people of Anioma (Enuani, Ika and Ndokwa/Ukwuani). I have also heard that it is also practiced by Isoko and Urhobo people of Delta state.

Traditional facts you must know:

1). In some parts of Delta, the curse is commonly referred to as Ishi/Ishia Ishi - confession of infidelity.

2). This custom applies only if the woman is traditionally married and her bride price paid. So, if her bride price has not been paid, nothing will happen to her if she cheats.

3).If the cheating woman cooks for husband with goodies or money gotten from her adulterous partners, then the curse will affect her husband.

4). A woman cheating on her husband cannot prepare food for him.

5). The man will be struck with swollen belly and legs. If the couple have kids, the kids will die one after the other mysteriously.

6). The man must be from any of the communities in Anioma - Ukwuani, Enu-Ani (Ibusa, Ogwashi-Uku, Asaba, parts of Igbodo, Ilah, Isseles, Idumujes, Onichas etc); Ika (Agbor, Umunede, Owas etc) and Aboh.

7). If the man is also from any of Isoko and Urhobo communities, the custom applies.

cool. It does not affect a woman from any part of Delta state married to a non-indigene of Delta state.

9). The man can cheat with as many women as possible and nothing will happen to him.

10). Nothing happens to the woman and the men whom she is cheating with.

11). If she confesses, in some instances, she's expected to task the men she has been cheating with - if they are reachable - to contribute for the ritual to avert the curse on her family.

12). For the curse to be averted, the woman must confess and perform rituals to free her husband and children.

Conclusion:

This tradition/custom/curse is a concept from a misogynist mind and cannot stand modern day test. As an advocate of equity, I believe this tradition is set out to achieve one way objective - to keep the women folk at bay while the men have the sexual freedom they have always desired.

It is true that this tradition has helped keep most women who marry from Delta state from cheating on their partners, however, it will not be unwise to say that the gods who formulated this curse/custom/tradition were indeed lacking of wisdom.

How can you allow a man or men cheating with a married woman go scot-free, yet go ahead to punish the woman's innocent children and husband? It is a waste of punishment!

The curse should be for the woman and her cheating partners and should have nothing to do with the innocent husband and her innocent children.

As a millennial youth, I believe this custom and tradition is outdated and should never be included in our traditional practices. It does not accommodate the principle of equity. It is meant to subdue the woman while giving freedom to the menfolk to desecrate the marital bed with no consequences.

Finally, I do not believe in the efficacy of this tradition and custom. It is in my opinion a scare-tactics invented by our forefathers to keep their women at bay.

I will never encourage infidelity, but I believe a tradition/custom/culture that tends to subjugate one gender while giving another gender the license to engage in unwholesome attitude without any consequences does not mean well for the society.

It is left for you to believe what you want to believe. As for me, I do not believe in this practice.

Alexander Thandi Ubani is an Editor at Tori.ng
If you have questions or counter-opinion: thandiubani@yahoo.com

Source: https://www.tori.ng/news/123450/the-truth-about-delta-tradition-that-forbids-marri.html

CC Lalasticlala Seun Ishilove Mynd44 Dominique MissyB3 Fynestboi

5 Likes

Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by babyfaceafrica: 2:22pm On May 30, 2019
nansense..in as much as there is bias in this tradition to favour men.... why should a reasonable person cheat?..there is no tenable excuse either in heaven or earth that validates it...that said,if una get juju reach this level why were we colonized and enslaved by whites?...or is ur juju just to check fidelity and your gods cannot fight for ur freedom?..Africans have a long way to go.

Lastly,Regina Daniels story taught me one valuable lesson....a Lady will do anything to secure her future... so any man without money should hustle hard and leave women now...there is no late comer to God things

7 Likes

Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by frbona: 2:24pm On May 30, 2019
Cave age people
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 30, 2019
Op

it is not that i am a traditionalist.

I am of the view that before one makes any assertion or conclusion he or she must have gotten one or two evidences to straighten or hold your conclusion.

From your write up, it is based on an opinion which is substantial by the point of partiality( that is allowing men to cheat and not allowing women), that the tradition is should be impartial.

The tradition is partial is not enough proof that it is false like you made it to look.

It is FALSE when you have seen a married woman from anioma cheat without any thing happening to the husband or children.
The issue is have you seen one? You can start your research from there.

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Nobody: 3:26pm On May 30, 2019
Walai I didn't read the epistle.
Maybe when it gets to front page, I will read it.

For now, let me just book space.

PS: I want to marry from the southern part (south east or south south), I really wish to. But this one you guys are saying the ritual doesn't cover non indigenes hia! Am from north central and just wish it covers non indigenes.
So, in the event that I end up with a Delta girl, she can be fvcking other dicks while still married to me? I will kill her.
Nice culture by the way, cos the rate at which married ladies cheat these days, even single ladies can't compare. May be she might decide to keep her kpekus inside her pants for the sake of her children.
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Nobody: 3:35pm On May 30, 2019
it will still not stop a woman who wants to cheat to cheat. tradition or no tradition if d woman wan still fuk around she will still fuk around and damm the consequences.
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Shashar: 3:42pm On May 30, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
nansense..in as much as there is bias in this tradition to favour men.... why should a reasonable person cheat?..there is no tenable excuse either in heaven or earth that validates it...that said,if una get juju reach this level why were we colonized and enslaved by whites?...or is ur juju just to check fidelity and your gods cannot fight for ur freedom?..Africans have a long way to go.

Lastly,Regina Daniels story taught me one valuable lesson....[s]a Lady will do anything to secure her future... so any man without money should hustle hard and leave women now...there is no late comer to God things
[/s]
Which is,

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Sammydanny: 3:48pm On May 30, 2019
Chai!!! This has to go on FRONT PAGE.
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Thandiubani(m): 4:23pm On May 30, 2019
SilGent:
Op

I am of the view that before one makes any assertion or conclusion he or she must have gotten one or two evidences to straighten or hold your conclusion.

From your write up, it is based on an opinion which is substantial by the point of partiality( that is allowing men to cheat and not allowing women), that the tradition is should be impartial.

The tradition is partial is not enough proof that it is false like you made it to look.

It is FALSE when you have seen a married woman from anioma cheat without any thing happening to the husband or children.

If a woman from Anioma cheats, nothing will happen to her if she's married to a man from a different state.
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Tajbol4splend(m): 6:21pm On May 30, 2019
Yoruba Amaka, all this baloney no dey

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 30, 2019
Thandiubani:

If a woman from Anioma cheats, nothing will happen to her if she's married to a man from a different state.
i know what you are saying.
that is not what i am saying. reread.

Even if she cheats on her husband from same tribe, nothing will happen TO HER.

Emphasis on "HER".

She wouldn't take the consequence if she cheats but her husband and children.
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Tajbol4splend(m): 6:24pm On May 30, 2019
ladiesreject:
Walai I didn't read the epistle.
Maybe when it gets to front page, I will read it.

For now, let me just book space

Lazy youths

Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by telkevog(m): 6:31pm On May 30, 2019
Then how come the cheating woman will not die, while the innocent husband and children will be the ones to die? None sense and ingredients!
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Felimax(m): 6:39pm On May 30, 2019
A very serious traditional belief. That's another reason why Delta women can wreck the blue sky out of you if they find their man cheating. If you attend a typical traditional marriage in Delta State you will notice all the rituals. Nice one Op
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by don4real18(m): 7:16pm On May 30, 2019
Hmm
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Asquare84(m): 7:52pm On May 30, 2019
This culture is also applicable to some part of idoma speaking tribe of venue state ,baulks and other part of Nigerian
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by nke001: 8:13pm On May 30, 2019
For all I know,
Old things has passed away!

wenem
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by I8id(m): 8:30pm On May 30, 2019
SilGent:
Op

it is a well known tradition.. I lost three siblings because of the carelessness of my mom, before we found out it was already too late
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Nobody: 8:59pm On May 30, 2019
I8id:
it is a well known tradition.. I lost three siblings because of the carelessness of my mom, before we found out it was already too late

that falsifies the truth of the op

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Nobody: 9:03pm On May 30, 2019
I8id:
In my place,it's called ésémó,was told my late mum got herself in a mess but she refused to confess,resulting in the death of my immediate sibling.she later got married after dad divorced her,for over 20yrs she couldn't conceive until she eventually died like a fowl
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by coolzeal(m): 9:53pm On May 30, 2019
I did my NYSC in Ondo, at one of those Akoko's.. Same tradition and belief is applied over there.. Too bad, women always at the receiving end.
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by jkaro(m): 10:05pm On May 30, 2019
Am an isoko man and I can testify to this tradition rite. When you are married to an isoko man, you must not sleep with another man. Even the way you play with men, must have respect. Men are not allowed to touch you sensitiviely..
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by ValCon888: 10:12pm On May 30, 2019
All these crap that have no foundation in science.
No empirical study. No data-driven results.
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by 1x2x3: 10:29pm On May 30, 2019
ValCon888:
All these crap that have no foundation in science.
No empirical study. No data-driven results.

Lol you know nothing. It happens till date and people die from it. Why not make a very close findings. I'm from one of those towns and I have seen cases so chill.
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by MPESA(m): 10:58pm On May 30, 2019
telkevog:
Then how come the cheating woman will not die, while the innocent husband and children will be the ones to die? None sense and ingredients!

The op is confuse....
If the man knew that his wife is cheating YET keep quiet he will � die but if he didn't know about his wife infidelity nothing will happen to him instead his wife will run mad, die, or fall sick that will lead to her confession or as the case maybe ..

3 Likes

Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Thandiubani(m): 8:28am On May 31, 2019
You are right.

jkaro:
Am an isoko man and I can testify to this tradition rite. When you are married to an isoko man, you must not sleep with another man. Even the way you play with men, must have respect. Men are not allowed to touch you sensitiviely..
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by boiz2men(m): 8:36am On May 31, 2019
5). The man will be struck with swollen belly and legs. If the couple have kids, the kids will die one after the other mysteriously.

My uncle died of swollen legs and belly...

Could this be the reason?

The man in his hospital told the family that he would tell them something the next day.. The next day he died.

I hope its not what I am thinking
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by boiz2men(m): 8:38am On May 31, 2019
morningstar55:

In my place,it's called ésémó,was told my late mum got herself in a mess but she refused to confess,resulting in the death of my immediate sibling.she later got married after dad divorced her,for over 20yrs she couldn't conceive until she eventually died like a fowl

Not nice. She will be still be referred to the woman who brought you to life

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by elmagnifico411(m): 9:05am On May 31, 2019
Chai, their ancestors weren’t wise when they were putting these laws/rituals/ and what have u din place. Why would a man and his kids have to suffer for what the wife did? Africans and senselessness.. I shake my head.

On the other side, this what I’ve been thinking; what if the husband has been cheating with reckless abandon and the wife decides to revenge knowing what would happen and just decides to end the useless man’s life? These gods are senseless walahi. In a way, they gave power to the women oh.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by nwacee11: 7:54pm On May 31, 2019
Nice one Mr Writer.
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by OrganicSoup: 8:48pm On May 31, 2019
Very true
Re: The Truth About Delta Tradition That Forbids Married Women From Sleeping Outside by Titugirl(f): 9:15am On Jun 04, 2019
The Tradition is repugnant to natural justice, equity and good conscience. The men are allowed to marry many wives and cheat. Such tradition should be expunged.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pastor Who Slept With A Bursty Nigerian Lady Without Paying, Finally Pays / . / Was The Guy Wrong For Doing This? (screenshots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.