Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,198 members, 7,822,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market (21426 Views)

Dangote Refinery Installs Largest Single Crude Distillation Column - Pictures / Dangote Refinery: Largest Single Train Crude Distillation Column Berths In Lagos / World's Largest Atmospheric Tower For Dangote Refinery Sets Sail From China (PIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 11:21am On May 31, 2019
Esseite:

I think the Nigerian markets are already established in these countries, the trade union may do more harm than good..

The revenue we generate from our ports would crash beyond zero..

These nations would discriminate our products because it may kill their manufacturing companies..
Have you seen our population lately?Do you know the telecoms industry as per domestic is bigger i n Nigeria than the Uk triple times? The consumer mkt in Nigeria is massive, our weight alone will control this sector in Africa.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by martineverest(m): 11:22am On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

Nop I'm not talking about the final destination I'm talking of the initial destination you used the word ** A certain country** so I made Somalia as that certain country in my narrative!
SO back to the question, please.
they can never chose Nigeria as the 'certain African country'....cos that's anticlimactic. the Nigerian government will tax them heavily
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 11:23am On May 31, 2019
martineverest:
they can never chose Nigeria as the 'certain African country'....cos that's anticlimactic. the Nigerian government will tax them heavily
well I never said Nigeria, I said Somalia, however in ur own view what would be this certain country??
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nobody: 11:23am On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

Have you see our population lately?Do you know the telecoms industry as per domestic is bigger i n Nigeria than the Uk triple times? The consumer mkt in Nigeria is massive, our weight alone will control this sector in Africa.

- How do you curb discrimination of your products via xenophobic acts?
- How do you prevent partnership with foreign nations on the part of these nations just to dump superior products into Nigeria bypassing the ports and losing revenue?

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 11:26am On May 31, 2019
Esseite:

- How do you curb discrimination of your products via xenophobic acts?
- How do you prevent partnership with foreign nations on the part of these nations just to dump superior products into Nigeria bypassing the ports and losing revenue?
This is a question of our domestic legislature and principles, these are not indicative of any external treaties, we can do this by ourselves by implementing already existing laws, but we know corruption would prevent this but hey that's our local problem
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by olujastro: 11:26am On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

No worries re insult
Now check this, we already have such agreements as free trade as in ECOWAS, the east Africans do as well. This has been in place in ages hence ECOWAS.So let us reason here, you say China was going to ship its goods to a certain African Country lets say Somalia as it's in the Indian Ocean close to Asia, what do you think is the incentive Somalia would give China that would make them chose Somalia over Nigeria? cos last I checked China won't be part of this deal signed by African nations.
China is very smart.
They give countries loans with opaque conditions of taking over their major access points.
China is taking over Djibouti seaport, Zambian airport and State media. Mombasa seaport is next if the Kenyan govt defaults in paying the loan used to build the Mombasa-Nairobi standard gauge rail line.
With these, China will import into Africa free of charge and use the AfcFTA to reach the rest of Africa by rail. Don't forget that the AU headquarters in Addis Ababa which was gifted by China is suspected to be a spy means for China on African leaders during their meetings.
China is behind this AfcFTA but African leaders are to dumb to understand anything.
Kudos to PMB on this one.

3 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by ofem89(m): 11:28am On May 31, 2019
zoedew:
But for corruption that is a plus.

what kind of personal n r u thinking in a negative perspectives
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by ofem89(m): 11:28am On May 31, 2019
zoedew:
But for corruption that is a plus.

what kind of person r u thinking in a negative perspectives
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 11:30am On May 31, 2019
olujastro:

China is very smart.
They give countries loan with opaque conditions of taking over their major access points.
China is taking over Djibouti seaport, Zambian airport and State media, Mombasa seaport is next if the Kenyan govt defaults in paying the loan used to build the Mombasa-Nairobi standard gauge rail line.
With these, China will import into Africa free of charge and use the AfcFTA to reach the rest of Africa by rail.
China is behind this AfcFTA but African leaders are to dumb to understand anything.
Kudos to PMB on this one.
Good, you know about them MOUs, however in this argument, I will say you are assuming cos you used the word *IF*,I'm sure them people already did their study and know what they got into with eyes open. now regards seaport controlling, don't forget Onne seaport is private .this does not mean duties and taxes are not paid, I import from China via Onne, so your assumption China will import FOC is flawed.

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by zoedew: 11:41am On May 31, 2019
ofem89:

what kind of person r u thinking in a negative perspectives

Not quite. You just exemplified one of the mindset problems of Africans. Interrogating a position does not per force amount a negative perception. If you will take time to peruse tons of research work done on the Developmental Challenges of Africa it should soon be clear to you that at its broad and well established base is Corruption and our tendency to tolerate it in great measure. For example, a certain Makinde on assumption of office as Oyo State Governor was quick to dissolve democratically elected Local Government Councils through an announcement by a yet to be sworn in aide! The rush is typically to ensure that his appointees get into the Councils to corner the funds of the Councils for selfish reasons. I’m in the hope you got my drift.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by olujastro: 11:41am On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

Good, you know about them MOUs, however in this argument, I will say you are assuming cos you used the word *IF*,I'm sure them people already did their study and know what they got into with eyes open. now regards seaport controlling, don't forget Onne seaport is private .this does not mean duties and taxes are not paid, I import from China via Onne, so your assumption China will import FOC is flawed.
Read my comment again, this time slowly. Don't rush to reply for argument sakes.
If only applies to Mombasa port, the others are already being taken over. And major foreign media are reporting that Kenya will likely default on that loan.

China now owns those ports and collects duties to recover the debts.

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 11:54am On May 31, 2019
olujastro:

Read my comment again, this time slowly. Don't rush to reply for argument sakes.
If only applies to Mombasa port, the others are already being taken over. And major foreign media are reporting that Kenya will likely default on that loan.

Can I ask you smthing, have you imported frm china B4? I have a very good reason for asking this !
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by MikeBetty(m): 11:59am On May 31, 2019
Esseite:

I think the Nigerian markets are already established in these countries, the trade union may do more harm than good..

The revenue we generate from our ports would crash beyond zero..

These nations would discriminate our products because it may kill their manufacturing companies..
My Dear, On The Port Issue, It Is The Govt That Killed Our Ports. Can You Imagine That Our Importers Still Bring In Their Goods Through Cotonu While We Have 2 Sea Ports In Rivers State, Delta, Calabar Onitsha That Are Not Functioning Optimally Because Of Govt Policies? Why Is It That Importers Complain That It Is Cheaper Cotonu Than In Nigeria? If We Are Playing Protectionist, What About Our Porous Borders? Did You Think Those Goods Will Not Find Their Way Into Nigeria? Go Kebbi, Sokoto, Zamfara, Yobe, Maiduguri, You Will Agree With Me That Foreign Goods Finds Their Way To Nigeria Unchecked. We Wili Gain If MAN Is Afraid, They Should Manufacure Goods Of International Standard.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by zoedew: 12:00pm On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

The MANAGEMENT of the seaport is in view here. Who manages the seaport controls it. Access is it!
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 12:04pm On May 31, 2019
zoedew:

The MANAGEMENT of the seaport is in view here. Who manages the seaport controls it. Access is it!
Di you take the Onne port as a case study? re-evaluate ur response, please.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 12:05pm On May 31, 2019
MikeBetty:
My Dear, On The Port Issue, It Is The Govt That Killed Our Ports. Can You Imagine That Our Importers Still Bring In Their Goods Through Cotonu While We Have 2 Sea Ports In Rivers State, We Have In Delta State, We Have In Calabar Also We Have In Onitsha That Are Not Functioning Optimally Because Of Govt Policies? Why Is It That Importers Complain That It Is Cheaper For Them To Land In Cotonu Than In Nigeria? If We Are Playing Protectionist, What About Our Porous Borders? Did Think That Those Goods Will Not Find Their Mays To Nigeria? Go To States Like Kebbi, Sokoto, Zamfara, Yobe, Maiduguri, You Will Agree With Me That Foreign Goods Finds Their Way To Nigeria Unchecked. We Wil Gain
i got one line for you, can you force Air France to use Benin Airport? or Enugu Int Airport?
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nobody: 12:10pm On May 31, 2019
Sunofgod:
Nigeria is a let down....
Can u analyse ur reasons?
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by GoodMuyis(m): 12:12pm On May 31, 2019
naijaguy123456:

52 out of the continent’s 55 countries have signed the free trade agreement with the exception of Benin, Eritrea, and Nigeria due to concerns raised by local businesses. Nigeria’s failure to sign the agreement was due to concerns raised by its manufacturing association which says the AfCFTA would have a negative impact on its members.

Nigeria will regret this big time. There is so much to gain from being a partner to this agreement.

The pact aims to boost intra-African trade by making Africa a single market of 1.2 billion people and a cumulative GDP over $3.4 trillion. The UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) estimates that the implementation of the agreement could increase intra-African trade by 52% by 2022 (compared with trade levels in 2010) and double the share of intra-African trade (currently around 13% of Africa’s exports) by the start of the next decade.

Copied

No way Nigeria population will turn an opportunity for others to milk. we don't have anything special product to sell to other countries that will make us benefit from them. at the long run, awa Naira will further suffer.

AfCFTA is nothing but a coup for the Nigeria economy

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Billy0naire(m): 12:13pm On May 31, 2019
Here is the opposing view, which is contrary to yours, and you do not have to tolerate it.

The natural thing for Nigeria to do is protect her Manufacturing base citing the fact that the Chinese and French Europeans products will be repackaged to flood our system and destroy our Manufacturing base through corporate proxies, that is the natural way of the reasoning of the past, and since most of you readers on nairaland are living in the past, it was not hard for you to reason the way you do and think the 'President' is right. What does that man really know when it comes to re-engineering an economy and optimizing concepts and processes to drive a country to a Goal? That is if there is a Goal. The last time I checked it, Nigeria has no clear Vision.

Look at it in a more advanced way not common-sense, opening up the economy is a two-way system, you can export and you can import. So, 1.2 billion people is not a market we can miss. Your Gods have just opened up the opportunities for you to fix your electricity and flood the whole Africa with world-class level of products of our indigenous designs and prototyping and team up with strong African Economies to block proxy dropshipping of products from any countries outside of the AfCFTA and produce African billionaires from retail networks, transnational shipping, haulage, packing industries and movement of a people to different places, selling just about everything, print millions of our movies and pictures and take it to the trenches of Africa. You guys even buy TeleMundo on CDs and people still watch those CDs in African countris, so Emeka can become a major distributor at Congo and he does not even have to leave his shop in Alaba.

But here we are, stuck with a people who think they are smart because they use common sense, there is nothing natively intelligent in the present system of common sense, life is no longer working based on 'normal' reasoning, but a reasoning curve higher than our people appreciate. But I guarantee you all In 10 yrs time most African countries will overtake Nigeria and produce the best products for Africa and our manufacturers will cross the border when they realize that they can enjoy 247 electricity and produce for 1.2 billion people instead staying stuck in Nigeria with bad traffic and roads disturbing distribution coupled with no electricity.

Most of you are equipped with faculties for common sense, that is why there are always more poor people than rich people. Outside the box thinking is rare, and of course, that is why true wealth is rare.

Painful words huh? - It is called Truth.

4 Likes

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nobody: 12:16pm On May 31, 2019
Sunofgod:
Nigeria is a let down....
Professor of Economics undecided

Well, for ur information: Nigeria has NOTHING to gain from it.

I hate Buhar's policies, but I absolutely commend him for this.

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nobody: 12:19pm On May 31, 2019
hisgrace090:

And we will have more than 50 countries to dump ours too.

Think of it.

Not when Nigeria is majorly a consuming economy with a dwindling GDP grin
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by MikeBetty(m): 12:23pm On May 31, 2019
erico2k2:

i got one line for you, can you force Air France to use Benin Airport? or Enugu Int Airport?
Air France After Discovering The Potential Business Opportunity Of Benin And Enugu Airports May Penetrate The Two Air Ports. So Long As There Is Potential Business Opportunity.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by erico2k2(m): 12:24pm On May 31, 2019
MikeBetty:
Air France After Discovering The Potential Business Opportunity Of Benin And Enugu Airports May Penetrate The Two Air Ports. So Long As There Is Potential Business Opportunity.
Good answer, traffic is what drives a port.

1 Like

Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nobody: 12:26pm On May 31, 2019
martineverest:
Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa and is the main target of this treaty..if Nigeria is part of it.many African nations with free trade treaty will china (say Ghana or Cameroon)will allow china to fill their economy with Chinese products and they will be shipped to Nigeria and those products will be tagged 'made in Ghana's instead of china... this will disrupt Nigeria manufacturing sector and slow. down our local companies and china will benefit more and kill the African economy

Sound reasoning. Thumb Up
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Naanlong01: 12:31pm On May 31, 2019
martineverest:
nigerias economy is the largest in Africa...almost twice as large as that of its closest rival,south Africa

the potential of Nigeria's economy is larger than those of South Africa,egypt,Angola, Algeria combined.

mind u, *nigerian economy has more potential than most of European nations, including UK...except germany*
Not to dispute your submission, but would you rather provide facts, figures, or sources of what you put up there, especially the hystericked.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by Nobody: 12:35pm On May 31, 2019
martineverest:
east africas economy doesn't have much potential compared that that of Nigeria.

Nigeria's economy is larger than the entire east African economy....I need to verify this.

unknown Lagos economy is almost twice larger than that of Kenya

Lagos economy is the seventh largest in Africa...
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by martineverest(m): 12:35pm On May 31, 2019
Noel1:

Lagos economy is the seventh largest in Africa...
5th largest
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by martineverest(m): 12:38pm On May 31, 2019
Naanlong01:

Not to dispute your submission, but would you rather provide facts, figures, or sources of what you put up there, especially the hystericked.
British economy is saturated..same as Europe...the Brazilian economy surpassed that of England and still growing.if the right things are done, Nigerias economy could surpass that of UK...that's the potential I'm talking about
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by yemex04(m): 12:47pm On May 31, 2019
musicwriter:

Because Buhari is taking instruction from myopic people who want to protect tbeir selfish interest instead of wider continental interest.

And those saying China, you don't know what you're talking about. China is already everywhere all over Africa and this agreement is to their interest. China would earnestly want this.

Britain controls your president and most of your elites, so look there and you'll find what interests they'll want to protect with a brain dead president in power.

You would do well by highlighting the gains to Nigeria had been it signed.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by musicwriter(m): 12:56pm On May 31, 2019
yemex04:

You would do well by highlighting the gains to Nigeria had been it signed.

That's very easy. All you need do is check out how Germany (biggest economy in Europe) benefit from the EU. If anybody is saying countries like Gambia, Senegal, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Ghana, Burkina Faso, etc would out-compete Nigeria in a liberalized open market, that person need to visit a psychiatrist.
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by w1234: 12:57pm On May 31, 2019
olujastro:

https://mobile.nation.co.ke/news/Chinese-envoy--No-Kenyan-assets-have-been-mortgaged-for-SGR-loan/1950946-5122688-x79wd3/index.html
Re: Africa is Now the World’s Largest Single Continental Market by olujastro: 1:04pm On May 31, 2019
w1234:

https://mobile.nation.co.ke/news/Chinese-envoy--No-Kenyan-assets-have-been-mortgaged-for-SGR-loan/1950946-5122688-x79wd3/index.html

If the statement from the Chinese Ambassador to Kenya is of any consolation to you, be my guest. I'm not surprised as you have to defend your country.
We all know how China denied in similar situations before taking over Sri Lanka and Djibouti seaports after they defaulted on their loans.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Shasha Traders Clash In Ibadan Market, One Feared Dead / CBN To Clamp Down On Illegal PoS Operators / Tax In Nigeria: How Is It Calculated?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.