Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,003 members, 7,821,519 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – (5486 Views)

She Wants Me To Leave Catholic Church Before She Can Marry Me / Archbishop Nicholas Duncan Williams: "Christian Men Are Unromantic" / Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by wildernessVoice: 8:30pm On Jun 05, 2019
All that The God of Man said has no single scripture to back it up.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Harrymig1(m): 8:44pm On Jun 05, 2019
CodeTemplar:
This scripture still doesn't change what the mannhas said. It only advises every man and woman to have a legal partner but doesn't say whether it is one man to one woman or many woman.
It's okay to believe and do whatever we want on earth but in the end all our doings shall be brought to judgement.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by paxonel(m): 8:56pm On Jun 05, 2019
nepapole:
I concur.... I will like to marry 3 or 4 instead of having illegal sex outside
what if one of the women you marry decides to marry 3 or 4 more men in addition to you how will you take it?
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 9:09pm On Jun 05, 2019
Shepherd00:

MiddleDimension, you said somewhere in this your thread that marriage is Spiritual for Christians. Why do you think so?

Secondly. Since you want to talk about Christian marriage, let's talk. Do you know that the marriage between a man and a woman is a type of a marriage between Christ and the Church?

Thirdly, If you must tell us what to do, can you pls tell me what the Bible means by 'Jesus is the bride groom, hence the husband of the Church, while the Church is the Bride, hence the wife of the Christ?'

The reason I asked you this is, if you understand why this is, you'd know whether or not three or four persons can conjugate in marriage.

my dear, i already talked about this in my reply to ubenedictus.

and how did i know the marriage between a man and a woman is the marriage is spiritual? well, it is because in the bible, it is likened to the relationship between jesus and the church. and also because i hear it from christians.

to your third question:
i have already answered it in that post to ubenedictus.
the likening of the marriage between a man and his wife to the relationship between jesus and the church is the biggest proof that when a man marries more than one wife, he is not being 'shared' so to speak, by the women. and that he can marry more women and still be each one's husband whole and entire therefore still following the fomulea of 1 + 1 = 1. how is this...? LET ME SHOW YOU:

jesus is the groom/husband of his church, right? that's because he is the husband of each christian that accepts him as his lord and god. and the church is the gathering of two or more believers together in one accord. so jesus is the groom of the church not because you all are now together as one body, but because he is already the husband of each of you individually.

when you accepted jesus, you became married to him, that's the same 1 + 1...at play in that he is your personal lord and saviour. when another person accepts jesus, the same thing is repeated as jesus is also the personal lord and saviour of that guy even though he is already your personal lord and saviour. that's what the 1+1=1 means! and you also confirmed it yourself that a man and a woman is like jesus and his church!

it is the same thing too. when a man marries a woman, he is her FULL husband. and when he goes to marry another woman, he is just like jesus taking another 'wife', another believer in another 1+1 arrangement! do you get it now? and the parable of the 10 virgins caps it all! it was one single bride groom for as many virgins who were wise!

if you still have any objection, please bring it up and show that your objections are superior to my points above.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by APOPTOSIS: 10:18pm On Jun 05, 2019
jesusjnr:
This is:

Matthew 19:4 (KJV)

And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

The bolded is against polygamy.
If you write such in EXAMS, I swear you will REPEAT CLASSES.
Is that the answer to the question..??
This is how you people FAIL EXAMS...
The Guy asked a simple Question which deserves a precise answer...rather
U came up with a BIOLOGICAL QUOTATION...

That verse simply explains BIOLOGY in its simplicity...
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Nobody: 12:38am On Jun 06, 2019
MiddleDimension:

ofcourse it is male and female he made them, is it male, female and something else he made them before? you have not made any real point here

CodeTemplar:
That's talking about the spiritual being. stop using scripture out of context.

APOPTOSIS:

If you write such in EXAMS, I swear you will REPEAT CLASSES.
Is that the answer to the question..??
This is how you people FAIL EXAMS...
The Guy asked a simple Question which deserves a precise answer...rather
U came up with a BIOLOGICAL QUOTATION...

That verse simply explains BIOLOGY in its simplicity...

Did you all consider "male and female" in the context of that saying before discarding it?

For that was an answer Jesus gave to the divorce question, that's when someone marries, and later divorces the spouse to marry someone else, to show that divorce was opposed to the way God made it to be in the beginning, hence that one who divorces and marries another commits adultery.

So if "male and female" in that context spoke against divorce in marriage to the extent of rendering it adulterous when such a divorcee marries another spouse, how much more is polygamy when the spouse is not divorced but another spouse is added to that one spouse if not more?

For the point is that it was male and female(monogamy) that God made it to be beginning, not male and females(polygamy) or males and female(polygamy), so anything other than male and female(monogamy) as it was originally made by God is adultery.

Therefore that was a Bible verse that not only spoke against divorce, but also against polygamy, homosexuality etc.

So if that makes me "not make any real point here" or "use scriptures out of context", or "fail exams and repeat classes", then so be it, for i'm only following my Master's example.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Nobody: 1:28am On Jun 06, 2019
MiddleDimension:

my dear, i already talked about this in my reply to ubenedictus.

and how did i know the marriage between a man and a woman is the marriage is spiritual? well, it is because in the bible, it is likened to the relationship between jesus and the church. and also because i hear it from christians.

to your third question:
i have already answered it in that post to ubenedictus.
the likening of the marriage between a man and his wife to the relationship between jesus and the church is the biggest proof that when a man marries more than one wife, he is not being 'shared' so to speak, by the women. and that he can marry more women and still be each one's husband whole and entire therefore still following the fomulea of 1 + 1 = 1. how is this...? LET ME SHOW YOU:

jesus is the groom/husband of his church, right? that's because he is the husband of each christian that accepts him as his lord and god. and the church is the gathering of two or more believers together in one accord. so jesus is the groom of the church not because you all are now together as one body, but because he is already the husband of each of you individually.

when you accepted jesus, you became married to him, that's the same 1 + 1...at play in that he is your personal lord and saviour. when another person accepts jesus, the same thing is repeated as jesus is also the personal lord and saviour of that guy even though he is already your personal lord and saviour. that's what the 1+1=1 means! and you also confirmed it yourself that a man and a woman is like jesus and his church!

it is the same thing too. when a man marries a woman, he is her FULL husband. and when he goes to marry another woman, he is just like jesus taking another 'wife', another believer in another 1+1 arrangement! do you get it now? and the parable of the 10 virgins caps it all! it was one single bride groom for as many virgins who were wise!

if you still have any objection, please bring it up and show that your objections are superior to my points above.
1male(½flesh) +1female(½flesh) = 1 flesh!

1 male(½ flesh) + 2 or more females(multiple of ½ flesh) = ? flesh!

2 or more males(multiple of ½ flesh) + 1 female (½ flesh) = ? flesh!

Your use of the illustration of Jesus and His church doesn't apply in this case, except you can possibly convert that instance to become 1 flesh as was done in the example above of ½ flesh being joined to ½ flesh to give 1 flesh.

Thanks.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by CodeTemplar: 3:15am On Jun 06, 2019
jesusjnr:

Did you all consider "male and female" in the context of that saying before discarding it?

For that was an answer Jesus gave to the divorce question, that's when someone marries, and later divorces the spouse to marry someone else, to show that divorce was opposed to the way God made it to be in the beginning, hence that one who divorces and marries another commits adultery.

So if "male and female" in that context spoke against divorce in marriage to the extent of rendering it adulterous when such a divorcee marries another spouse, how much more is polygamy when the spouse is not divorced but another spouse is added to that one spouse if not more?

For the point is that it was male and female(monogamy) that God made it to be beginning, not male and females(polygamy) or males and female(polygamy), so anything other than male and female(monogamy) as it was originally made by God is adultery.

Therefore that was a Bible verse that not only spoke against divorce, but also against polygamy, homosexuality etc.

So if that makes me "not make any real point here" or "use scriptures out of context", or "fail exams and repeat classes", then so be it, for i'm only following my Master's example.
I think that verse u used initially (Mathew 19:4) is more about divorce and how God planned out the marriage institution before even the commandment(s) by Moses.
"He made them male and female" also appeared in Genesis and then God formed the man from dust directly and the first woman from man. That to me addressed our spiritual formation and separates it from our physical creation. To me those verses you sampled answer the question of who made hermarphrodites more than polygamy/monogamy question.

There is a part after that scripture you used ( verses 5 and 6 ) that says a man shall leave the parents and cleave unto his wife and vice versa. That is the one I think justifies monogamy and not God "created them male and female".
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Nobody: 5:45am On Jun 06, 2019
CodeTemplar:

I think that verse u used initially (Mathew 19:4) is more about divorce and how God planned out the marriage institution before even the commandment(s) by Moses.
"He made them male and female" also appeared in Genesis and then God formed the man from dust directly and the first woman from man. That to me addressed our spiritual formation and separates it from our physical creation. To me those verses you sampled answer the question of who made hermarphrodites more than polygamy/monogamy question.

There is a part after that scripture you used ( verses 5 and 6 ) that says a man shall leave the parents and cleave unto his wife and vice versa. That is the one I think justifies monogamy and not God "created them male and female".
Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, as I am to mine, but the reason I asked if you all considered the "male and female" in the context of which it was said beforehand, was because if you had done that you would have understood that it served as a premise for every other thing that Jesus said afterwards in that respect.

For the reason the Pharisees had come to confront Jesus with that question concerning divorce was because of this saying of Jesus which amended the law of Moses in that respect:

"It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery".
Matthew 5:31-32 (KJV)

Therefore Jesus also used what was also written in the same law of Moses to justify that saying of His, and it was how God made it to be in the beginning which was male and female, in a more precise sense, a male and his female(Genesis 7:2), to show that divorce in a marriage or a divorcee getting married to another was not according to God's original arrangement and therefore that those who indulged in it were committing adultery.

So that premise of "(a) male and (his) female" is also applicable to polygamy, for to that extent any one who engages in such is committing adultery, as the person is marrying someone other than his/her male or female as God had made it to be in the beginning.

Therefore that verse also speaks against polygamy.

But if you think otherwise, and that it's adultery for a divorcee to marry another spouse because of Jesus saying, and yet not adultery for someone already married to marry another spouse as it is in polygamy, please explain how and the difference between the two.

Thanks.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 9:25am On Jun 06, 2019
jesusjnr:

my dear, you were not following your master's example.

you were being disingenius by your assertions.

when a man marries, it is still male and female coming into union, and not male and females! the same way when you accepted jesus, he becomes your husband whole and entire even though he is still another believer's husband whole and entire! the male and female or 1+1 thing was indicating a personal level! stop giving strange meaning to the bible.

anyway, your are entitled to your opinion as i understand that when it comes to religion or faith, discussions can never be fair.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 9:46am On Jun 06, 2019
jesusjnr:

1male(½flesh) +1female(½flesh) = 1 flesh!

1 male(½ flesh) + 2 or more females(multiple of ½ flesh) = ? flesh!

2 or more males(multiple of ½ flesh) + 1 female (½ flesh) = ? flesh!

Your use of the illustration of Jesus and His church doesn't apply in this case, except you can possibly convert that instance to become 1 flesh as was done in the example above of ½ flesh being joined to ½ flesh to give 1 flesh.

Thanks.

there you go again!
1male half flesh, where did you get that from? show me where it is in the bible, or in anyother credible source that 1male is half flesh?

and why doesn't my jesus illustration apply here? i am not the one that says marriage is like the relayionship between jesus and his church, the bible did! jesus himself did!

althrough the bible from old to the new testament, this assertion was made. the song of songs is included in the bible because it is taken to represent the relationship between god and his people.

to illustrate to the people how he relates with them, he told the prophet to go and get married, although to a prostitute.

so the likening of marriage to the relationship between god and his people is something that is scattered all through the bible! when jesus wanted to pass across to you the message that you should be prepared for the kingdom of god, he used the situation of marriage, the parable of the 10 virgins.

so tell me why my illustration if jesus and the church, does not apply to marriage, when you bible agrees with me
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Nobody: 9:59am On Jun 06, 2019
MiddleDimension:

there you go again!
1male half flesh, where did you get that from? show me where it is in the bible, or in anyother credible source that 1male is half flesh?

and why doesn't my jesus illustration apply here? i am not the one that says marriage is like the relayionship between jesus and his church, the bible did! jesus himself did!

althrough the bible from old to the new testament, this assertion was made. the song of songs is included in the bible because it is taken to represent the relationship between god and his people.

to illustrate to the people how he relates with them, he told the prophet to go and get married, although to a prostitute.

so the likening of marriage to the relationship between god and his people is something that is scattered all through the bible! when jesus wanted to pass across to you the message that you should be prepared for the kingdom of god, he used the situation of marriage, the parable of the 10 virgins.

so tell me why my illustration if jesus and the church, does not apply to marriage, when you bible agrees with me
My point is that 1 male and a female make a full flesh.

You surely know that the woman was taken from man, right(ribs)?

Hence this saying of Adam:

"...This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man." Genesis 2:23 (KJV)

So in marriage they reunite as one flesh.

And this is the Truth, even if you choose not to accept it.

As for the illustration of Jesus, you ought to know that with illustrations, not every detail applies to the reality, for if so then you'd also be able to tell me what roles oil and lamps play in marriages between the male and female flesh in God's sight?

But that's just an illustration, but a clear teaching not an illustration of Jesus concerning divorce or polygamy in marriage that talked about flesh has been given here already which you ought to have seen yourself.

And that's the Truth, but as I said earlier, you can chose to believe what you want.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 10:21am On Jun 06, 2019
jesusjnr:

But if you think otherwise, and that it's adultery for a divorcee to marry another spouse because of Jesus saying, and yet not adultery for someone to marry more than one spouse as it is in polygamy, please explain how and the difference between the two.

Thanks.

the jews, Jesus and the apostle Paul never saw polygamy as imorality. to them, polygamy was as valid as monogamy hence Paul said every man must his wife, and woman, her husband.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Nobody: 10:57am On Jun 06, 2019
MiddleDimension:

my dear, you were not following your master's example.

you were being disingenius by your assertions.

when a man marries, it is still male and female coming into union, and not male and females! the same way when you accepted jesus, he becomes your husband whole and entire even though he is still another believer's husband whole and entire! the male and female or 1+1 thing was indicating a personal level! stop giving strange meaning to the bible.

anyway, your are entitled to your opinion as i understand that when it comes to religion or faith, discussions can never be fair.
I'm not following my Master's footsteps, Lol! grin

What you don't know is that Jesus was sent by God to restore things back to the way they were in the beginning, and if you go back to the beginning in the first marriage, it was one husband and one wife, for the woman was taken from the man body, hence His saying that posited that it ought to be one man one wife, for anything else would be adultery.

But if sticking to His position means not following His footsteps, then you're entitled to your opinion.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Nobody: 11:14am On Jun 06, 2019
MiddleDimension:

the jews, Jesus and the apostle Paul never saw polygamy as imorality. to them, polygamy was as valid as monogamy hence Paul said every man must his wife, and woman, her husband.
Something you shouldn't get twisted is confusing Judaism with the standard of the church, for polygamy is permitted in Judaism and even divorce, but Jesus the founder of the church who brought a higher level is the one that made such normal observations to become abnormal for His church, because the standard of His church exceeded that of Judaism, and if you like Islam which also permits such practices.

So this is primarily for those of the church, and it's not that if someone doesn't keep it they would go to hell or not be able to walk with God, but it is intended to make humans become as close to what God intended in the beginning as possible, which is 1 male (husband) and his female (wife).
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 11:46am On Jun 06, 2019
jesusjnr:
Something you shouldn't get twisted is confusing Judaism with the standard of the church, for polygamy is permitted in Judaism and even divorce, but Jesus the founder of the church who brought a higher level is the one that made such normal observations to become abnormal for His church, because the standard of His church exceeded that of Judaism, and if you like Islam which also permits such practices.

So this is primarily for those of the church, and it's not that if someone doesn't keep it they would go to hell or not be able to walk with God, but it is intended to make humans become as close to what God intended in the beginning as possible, which is 1 male (husband) and his female (wife).

did you see it where i mentioned jesus? and did you see it where he used the idea of polygamy to drive home his point? the ten virgins and the bride groom?
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by LilMissFavvy(f): 7:31pm On Jun 07, 2019
My reply is coming late, I did not log in for two days. My point was that most men in the Bible who did not stick to their wives or who were in polygamy paid dearly for it. Most times adultery is what's results in polygamy, so the two must be mentioned hand in hand. Marriage involves payment of bride price, Abraham NEVER PAID DOWRY FOR HAGAR, so that was not marriage. Yes he had a son, and Hagar's stay in the home with Sarah almost ruined the peace in the home, cuz of the polygamous scenario. You mentioned Isaac, yes, blood is thicker than water, that's why Isaac's children, Esau/Jacob ended well, despite the rift, they reconciled. Polygamy is much more synonymous with sibling rivalry, than monogamy. Jacob was deceived into polygamy, yet we all know the story of how Leah's/Rachel hated themselves becos of marriage. The rivalry can also be seen among their children. Where Leah's children threw Rachel's child into a pit. Delilah was not the first wife Samson married, so I can't call him a monogamist. Judges14:1-8 & Judges chapter 15, shows how God directed Samson to the right wife to marry, Samson loved her, married her properly, yet abandoned her after a while. He later proceeded to a harlot, before Delilah. The curse that followed David because of same adultery/polygamy can be seen in rivalry among his children(2nd Samuel 12:10-14,) his child Absalom would have killed him if not for God (2nd Samuel 13:1-31 & chptr13:1-the end). Kind Solomon, was ruined in his later years because of polygamy, his wives turned him from God to serve all sorts of Mammon(First kings11:3-10). Sibling rival in polygamy scenario can also be seen in the story of Gideon's, Jabez, etc, Even king Asherus ( a whole king) had one wife, Vashti, she was dethroned and Esther brought in becos of the abomination she committed. Let's encourage what is good, Christianity should be about one man one wife, and all forms of lust for too many women discouraged. Most couples in polygamy may be lucky to manage the wives/kids to live in peace when they are alive, but upon their death their families become a battle ground.
MiddleDimension:

you are being unfair here miss! in the first place you said we should not bring in Abraham when the issue of polygamy is mentioned, and you gave reasons which proves beyond reasonable doubt your assertions. i congratulate you for pointing it out to me. but then again, you eho said Abraham was never into polygamy, which i now agree with you, still refered to his relationship with Hagar as polygamous! can you see why i said you were beinh unfair?

my dear, your arguement that hagar started being spiteful of Sarah and that is what makes polygamy bad, does not hold water. and no, it is not a thing commonly seen in all polygamous homes. so i say try not to push falsehood everywhere. i have seen homes and mine is a big example of that too, where you don't see such things.

also another point to shatter the point i just addressed up there is: we see siblin rivalries in homes too. infact the children of the Isaac you talked about as a good example of monogamy are a good example of sibling rivalry too. since you already kniw the story, there is no reason for me to go into it. but can we say that the fact that we see sibling rivalry in homes is a reason to say having more than one child is evil?

think for yourself.

my dear, Samson was a MONOGAMIST! He never had more than one wife! so he did not suffer because he had a polygamous home. he never married more than one woman at the same time!
i think you should read the bible properly!
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by LilMissFavvy(f): 7:33pm On Jun 07, 2019
I have replied, I was not online for some days.
MiddleDimension:

please react to my earlier post to you and show me proof from the bible or any other credible source.

also show me examples of people in the bible who ''PAID DEARLY'' as you put it, because they married more than one wife. i already debunked your claim that Samson married more than one woman.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by LilMissFavvy(f): 8:20pm On Jun 07, 2019
Jacob was deceived into polygamy, not his fault at all. If he was a polygamous type, he should have remarried after Rachel and Leah died.
EmperorHarry:

Does Jacob count?
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by LilMissFavvy(f): 8:25pm On Jun 07, 2019
What principles pls? Sorry my reply is coming late.
Shepherd00:

Sis. No one can hinder the Holy Spirit from delivering the Rhema in His Words.

Okay, for the sake of a discussion, can you talk about some of these principles as it concerns marriage? I'd like to learn.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by LilMissFavvy(f): 8:28pm On Jun 07, 2019
Most times, adultery is what breeds polygamy, polygamy is even worse off than adultery.
MiddleDimension:

adultry is defined as a married person having sleeping with someone else who is not his/her spouse.

show me how polygamy fits into this discription, please.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by LilMissFavvy(f): 8:31pm On Jun 07, 2019
That grammar is simple enough. He made them MALE AND FEMALE. it did not say male and females, males and females, etc....
MiddleDimension:

ofcourse it is male and female he made them, is it male, female and something else he made them before? you have not made any real point here
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by LilMissFavvy(f): 8:41pm On Jun 07, 2019
Stop that pls, don't add Jesus and Paul to it. No deciple of Jesus was a polygamist. I should update later with one or two scripture, besides Jesus was clear with his speeches althrough the Bible, I can recall the scriptures where he told a lady at well that she had been married to 4 or 6 husband's, can't recall exactly. People gave clear Bible portions against polygamy above.
MiddleDimension:

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jun 07, 2019
jesusjnr well done.

Let them keep twisting scriptures to satisfy their depraved appetite for wrong desires. The church is marching on and the gates of hell shall not prevail.

Thanks.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jun 07, 2019
Mr middleDimension why are you biased in your approach in regards to this topic?

Why will a man be allowed to marry multiple wives and a woman not granted that same opportunity?
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by EmperorHarry: 10:00pm On Jun 07, 2019
LilMissFavvy:
Jacob was deceived into polygamy, not his fault at all. If he was a polygamous type, he should have remarried after Rachel and Leah died.
Jaboc being deceived by Laban to marry his two daughters in no way supports your argument or provides evidence that refutes the OP claim.It's obvious that you personally don't approve of polygamy(and for good reason) but saying that the Bible or God is against it without providing biblical references that are verifiable and unambiguous(thereby proving without a doubt that the OP's claim is invalid) is biased and the only reason I'm involved in this.

Isaiah 4:1 When that time comes, seven women will grab hold of one man and say, "We can feed and clothe ourselves, but please let us say you are our husband, so that we won't have to endure the shame of being unmarried.
That verse above doesn't disapprove of polygamy but shows the attitude towards it.
Contemporary Christianity disapproves of it although that doesn't make it a sin.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by LilMissFavvy(f): 10:21pm On Jun 07, 2019
Many people above gave several clear Bible portions to back up monogamy. The passages are self explanatory. You should have read, my previous messages before you bring up issue of Jacob, i brought up Jacobs name cuz that man asked me to show him biblical passages where men had issues because of polygamy. Do you know the biblical definition of marriage? It involves a man going out to search and find his missing rib and pays dowry. A situation where 7women grab a man and beg to bear his name is not in accordance with the biblical definition of marriage, so you cannot call it marriage. That passage does not mention bride price, or a feast of marriage. That isn't polygamy either. That is simply a curse of women going in to cohabit with a man. With prayers of supplication from the female genders, God can take it away. Technology is even eroding it. [code][/code]
[/quote][quote author=EmperorHarry post=79117082]Jaboc being deceived by Laban to marry his two daughters in no way supports your argument or provides evidence that refutes the OP claim.It's obvious that you personally don't approve of polygamy(and for good reason) but saying that the Bible or God is against it without providing biblical references that are verifiable and unambiguous(thereby proving without a doubt that the OP's claim is invalid) is biased and the only reason I'm involved in this.

Isaiah 4:1 When that time comes, seven women will grab hold of one man and say, "We can feed and clothe ourselves, but please let us say you are our husband, so that we won't have to endure the shame of being unmarried.
That verse above doesn't disapprove of polygamy but shows the attitude towards it.
Contemporary Christianity disapproves of it although that doesn't make it a sin.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Nobody: 5:28am On Jun 08, 2019
Agrogbeide:
jesusjnr well done.

Let them keep twisting scriptures to satisfy their depraved appetite for wrong desires. The church is marching on and the gates of hell shall not prevail.

Thanks.

God bless.
God bless you bro.

I know that if the Words of the Master abides in the church(John 14:7), it's guaranteed that the gates of hell shall prevail nothing against it.

Thanks.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Ubenedictus(m): 8:10pm On Jun 10, 2019
MiddleDimension:

yes 1man + 1woman = 1flesh

this does not in anyway exclude polygamy because in polygamy, it is still one man and one woman getting married because the ceremonies are not the same. even if the ceremonies are conducted the same time, that's still not a problem for within christianity, marriage is a spiritual thing and the man is the FULL husband of the woman and vice versa. the husband is not PARTLY the husband of any of his wives.

somebody says how can this be?

well Jesus and Paul liken the institution of marriage to the relationship between jesus and the church, the church is made up of christians individually.

when you christians accepts Jesus, you come married to him. the same thing applies to your fellow christian too. and you and him become one, right? he is fully your lord and saviour just as he is FULLY the lord and saviour of the other christian too. you are not sharing Jesus. he is not partly your husband, lord and saviour, and also someone elses lord and saviour.

in the same way too, the man is the husband if the women whole and entire!

i am not the one theorizing here, it is your bible, Paul and also Jesus himself who used the parable of the 10 virgins to illustrate this while also passing the message that you should prepare for the kingdom of god

the parable of the 10 virgins, though is primarily about you preparing yourselves for the kingom of god, but we can still see that it also shows that Jesus does not have a problem with polygamy, and that the things i said above, which i took from the teachings of paul about the relationship between god and his church, and a man and his wife, is still in line.

the 10 virgins; some were foolish, and some were wise. so when the BRIDEGROOM comes around... it is one bride groom, and when he comes around, he is going to be the bride groom of each of the virgins whole and entire. so we see here that a 1+1 is still equal to 1 for each and every virgin. and the bible likens marriage to the relationship between god and his church. so if god can be the husband of each and every christian whole and entire, bringing to mind the 1 + 1 = 1, then the man can be the husband of several women whole and entire too in the same 1 + 1 = 1 formulae.

so the fomulea above does not nullify polygamy at all, just as it does not nullify the fact that Jesus is the husband of one christian and still the husband of another christian whole and entire.
lol
The church is one bride not plenty brides.
So all Christians together as the one bride of the groom, no room for multiple brides or polygamy.

I have seen people interpret the Bible in many ways but usually my first question is, "how did the original audience interpret it? How did the early church and their successors receive the apostles words? "

If your understanding is foreign to the first 1000years of Christianity, then you must be dabbling in heresy.

That is how I check myself, I suggest you check yourself too
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by Nobody: 8:13am On Jun 11, 2019
MiddleDimension:

did you see it where i mentioned jesus? and did you see it where he used the idea of polygamy to drive home his point? the ten virgins and the bride groom?
Yeah you did mentioned Jesus, but in an illustrative sense, but I mentioned Jesus in a literal sense.

Now let's just assume for a moment that you have a valid point with the Jesus illustration you mentioned that a christian who engages polygamy has not committed adultery, but that I also have a valid point with the literal saying of Jesus that a Christian who engages in polygamy has committed adultery. And that since it emanated from same person that both cannot be correct at the same time, and one has to give way for the other, which of the mentions do you think would supersede the other in this case?

The illustration or literal saying of Jesus?

That should answer your question.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by MiddleDimension: 2:11pm On Jun 12, 2019
Ubenedictus:
lol
The church is one bride not plenty brides.
So all Christians together as the one bride of the groom, no room for multiple brides or polygamy.

I have seen people interpret the Bible in many ways but usually my first question is, "how did the original audience interpret it? How did the early church and their successors receive the apostles words? "

If your understanding is foreign to the first 1000years of Christianity, then you must be dabbling in heresy.

That is how I check myself, I suggest you check yourself too

i am glad that even though you disagree with me, atleast you got my point unlike the other people especially the lady. they even went as far as misquoting jesus saying anyone who has more than one wife has comitted adultery; where exactly did jesus say that!

anyway, i understand you disagree with me and i do not have a problem with that. all i want you all to do is to get the point and relate it with the bible. these kind of issues get rejected the first time they are presented. even among you christians, when you show it to perhaps the people on here that the bible said in james that you should confess your sins to one another, they will still argue with you and say it is only when you offend someone that you should take that step. also when you talk about the gospel of john where it outrightly backs up your teaching of confession, since it is not something these people have ever been told in their churches, they will argue it with you! untill after some time, then they will gradually agree, as it is with Oyakhilome today.

as for the church being the bride of christ, that is not disputed at all, and i have not said otherwise. but let me ask you, @ubenedictus, are you a bride of christ? when you say jesus is your personal lord and saviour, do you also mean he is your groom even though he is also the groom of other believers like you? if yes, do you think you all are 'sharing' the same groom, thus is not whole and entirely yours (personal), just as he is whole and entirely your brother's (personal lord and saviour)? so why then is this thinh difficult to get by the other people here with rediculous rebuttals!

as for the how the early church interpreted things... well, all i can say is, among the early christians, from the apostles to the other first century christians, polygamy was a norm, and they never saw it in anyway negative. that is why jesus and the other apostles NEVER said anything against it.

the bible warned against getting drunk, adultery, etc. all the things the bible warned against, especially those ones widely known to the people, were all mentioned by name! idolatry was widely known among the people, and so when the apostles were condenming it, they mentioned it by name. how then can a thing like polygamy, widely known among the apostles, was not mentioned by name in any condenmination?

if you still want more evidence from the bible that god is not against polygamy, well he sent nathan to david to tell him about his sins, and this is the quote from the bible:

7 And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;

8 And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things. please pay attention to the words in colour.

david was punished not because he had other wives. as you can see from the verse that i quoted there, it was god himself that gave him those wives. he was punished because he took another person's wife, more like...''thou shall not covert thy neighbour's wife''. and not only that, he killed the husband! of course that would outrage anyone.

go to the north and you will see polygamous homes living in peace, including christian polygamous homes. don't fall for the propaganda against the north!

also, another example if a good polygamous home is given in the bible below:

genesis 4
19 And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.

20 And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of such as have cattle.

21 And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.

22 And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah.

those who like pointing out unhapiness in polygamy should please do so here!
and the whole idea of where ever polygamy is mentioned, unhapiness follows, can't you see that that is dangerously the same arguement jehovah's withnesses bring up against birthdays?

infact, that the children of lamach's marriage went on to be the father's of those who played harp etc, shows that they had a beautiful home where they could become renowned in their endeavours.
Re: Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – by aumeehn: 11:02pm On Jun 17, 2019
MiddleDimension:

i am glad that even though you disagree with me, atleast you got my point unlike the other people especially the lady. they even went as far as misquoting jesus saying anyone who has more than one wife has comitted adultery; where exactly did jesus say that!

anyway, i understand you disagree with me and i do not have a problem with that. all i want you all to do is to get the point and relate it with the bible. these kind of issues get rejected the first time they are presented. even among you christians, when you show it to perhaps the people on here that the bible said in james that you should confess your sins to one another, they will still argue with you and say it is only when you offend someone that you should take that step. also when you talk about the gospel of john where it outrightly backs up your teaching of confession, since it is not something these people have ever been told in their churches, they will argue it with you! untill after some time, then they will gradually agree, as it is with Oyakhilome today.

as for the church being the bride of christ, that is not disputed at all, and i have not said otherwise. but let me ask you, @ubenedictus, are you a bride of christ? when you say jesus is your personal lord and saviour, do you also mean he is your groom even though he is also the groom of other believers like you? if yes, do you think you all are 'sharing' the same groom, thus is not whole and entirely yours (personal), just as he is whole and entirely your brother's (personal lord and saviour)? so why then is this thinh difficult to get by the other people here with rediculous rebuttals!

as for the how the early church interpreted things... well, all i can say is, among the early christians, from the apostles to the other first century christians, polygamy was a norm, and they never saw it in anyway negative. that is why jesus and the other apostles NEVER said anything against it.

the bible warned against getting drunk, adultery, etc. all the things the bible warned against, especially those ones widely known to the people, were all mentioned by name! idolatry was widely known among the people, and so when the apostles were condenming it, they mentioned it by name. how then can a thing like polygamy, widely known among the apostles, was not mentioned by name in any condenmination?

if you still want more evidence from the bible that god is not against polygamy, well he sent nathan to david to tell him about his sins, and this is the quote from the bible:

7 And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;

8 And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things. please pay attention to the words in colour.

david was punished not because he had other wives. as you can see from the verse that i quoted there, it was god himself that gave him those wives. he was punished because he took another person's wife, more like...''thou shall not covert thy neighbour's wife''. and not only that, he killed the husband! of course that would outrage anyone.

go to the north and you will see polygamous homes living in peace, including christian polygamous homes. don't fall for the propaganda against the north!

also, another example if a good polygamous home is given in the bible below:

genesis 4
19 And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.

20 And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of such as have cattle.

21 And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.

22 And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah.

those who like pointing out unhapiness in polygamy should please do so here!
and the whole idea of where ever polygamy is mentioned, unhapiness follows, can't you see that that is dangerously the same arguement jehovah's withnesses bring up against birthdays?

infact, that the children of lamach's marriage went on to be the father's of those who played harp etc, shows that they had a beautiful home where they could become renowned in their endeavours.
please stop encouraging people into polygamy! its one of the main cause of high drugs abuse in the North. Polygamy breeds nothing but hate between blood brothers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) / A Very False Christian Belief About The Afterlife. / Christianity And Drinking Of Wine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 174
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.