Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,933 members, 7,835,114 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Free Will And Freedom From Sin - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Free Will And Freedom From Sin (2400 Views)

Peter Ebhota Udo Dies Of Hypertension 22 Months After Freedom From Kidnappers / The Right Prayer For Repentance From Sin / Practical Ways To Remain Free From Sin And Demonic Control. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by tintingz(m): 3:19pm On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

I know you don't believe in God, yet you want to talk abt what He can and cannot do.

First answer the questions asked you, then I will treat this.

Now that you reject and malign Him every chance you get, Did he choose that for you?
My argument is to point out the paradox of freewill and destiny.

So kindly answer my question.

1 Like

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 3:28pm On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

See? that is Free will. No one is forcing you to do it.

So long as you can perceive and have the ability to take actions you have Free Will, how you manage it is your business.

Let's get to something you didn't answer.

How many of these mature Christians do you know commit no sin? Are you one of them?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 3:40pm On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

Let's get to something you didn't answer.

How many of these mature Christians do you know commit no sin? Are you one of them?
Yes. The righteousness of Christ which is imputed on me is perfect, wirhout any blemish.

When YHWH looks at me, He sees Christ, for He stands in my place. That is what Justification means.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 3:42pm On Jun 06, 2019
tintingz:
My argument is to point out the paradox of freewill and destiny.

So kindly answer my question.
It doesn't mater what your point is. Answer my question.

You can't jump mine and expect me to answer yours.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 4:05pm On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

Yes. The righteousness of Christ which is imputed on me is perfect, wirhout any blemish.

When YHWH looks at me, He sees Christ, for He stands in my place. That is what Justification means.

This doesn't answer the question. You told me that this is a work in progress to the point where mature Christians no longer sin. How many of such people do you know and are you one of them? I didn't ask what justification means.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by tintingz(m): 4:29pm On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

It doesn't mater what your point is. Answer my question.

You can't jump mine and expect me to answer yours.
Lol, yes it's God, so?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 4:36pm On Jun 06, 2019
tintingz:
Lol, yes it's God, so?
It's God who did what? Be clear.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 4:38pm On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

This doesn't answer the question. You told me that this is a work in progress to the point where mature Christians no longer sin. How many of such people do you know and are you one of them? I didn't ask what justification means.
The Work in progress is from when we got Born Again and as little kids grew up to understand what Justification means we just accept it and move over to the Righteousness of Christ.

Again, Every Believer who wears the Righteousness of Christ sins not.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by tintingz(m): 5:36pm On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

It's God who did what? Be clear.
God is responsible for everything.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 5:44pm On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

The Work in progress is from when we got Born Again and as little kids grew up to understand what Justification means we just accept it and move over to the Righteousness of Christ.

Again, Every Believer who wears the Righteousness of Christ sins not.

So you do not sin?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 5:49pm On Jun 06, 2019
tintingz:
God is responsible for everything.
He is responsible for your fornication, stealing and you insult on Him?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 5:50pm On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

So you do not sin?
No. Deliberately No.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 6:00pm On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

No. Deliberately No.

So unwittingly yes?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Ihedinobi3: 7:53pm On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:
Christians say the God gave us free will yet their bible says

Romans 6:18 
And, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

How could we have had free will if we needed to be set free from sin? Doesn't it not suggest that we weren't free? If we were free what then is freedom from sin? Why do I need to be freed if I am already free?

On another level how are Christians free from sin if they still sin? Is this freedom false? Just a pipe dream?
I don't think you have the ability to understand this. It won't matter how much it is explained to you, or how comprehensively, you will still not understand it until you get off your high horse and submit to God in Jesus Christ.

Suffice to say that a free will for human beings is the ability to choose to submit to God or to remain in rebellion against Him. That is, it is the ability to choose an attitude toward God.

An attitude can be maintained in spite of the specific actions carried out moment by moment, so a person who still sins sometimes can still maintain an overall attitude of submission to God rather than one of rebellion. This is even further proven by the person's willingness to confess every failure and accept both forgiveness and discipline from Him.

When Christians are set free from sin at the point of belief (that is, at the point that they choose to adopt a general attitude of submission to God), they are freed from a general attitude of rebellion toward God. That choice can be made even though by nature we are enemies of God. That is the point that Paul was making: that we who believe have gone from being enemies to being servants of God by the choice we made to believe.

Freedom from sin, therefore, only means the freedom to serve God according to His Will. Until we choose to believe God, we are hopelessly bound to live in rebellion against Him. When we believe, even though we still possess that natural drive to rebel against Him, we are no longer hopelessly bound to it. We begin to live for His Pleasure, and if we do our duty to grow spiritually and fulfill our ministry, we will grow steadily unattached to the ways and impulses of that natural rebellious drive, with the ultimate goal that in Resurrection we will lose it completely. That is the "setting free" happening here.

As I sometimes tell you, I don't always answer for your benefit. That would be a waste of time and energy. This is one of those times.

Edited.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by tintingz(m): 7:58pm On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

He is responsible for your fornication, stealing and you insult on Him?
You're beginning to grasp at straws.

I've answered you, now answer my question, before I was created did God knows my end and in details?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by budaatum: 8:04pm On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:
Why do I need to be freed if I am already free?
You are not free my Lord. Every minute you worry about tomorrow and hope it improves on today.

LordReed:
On another level how are Christians free from sin if they still sin? Is this freedom false? Just a pipe dream?
Let me translate to English and we'll see if you get it.

"On another level how are humans free from sin if they still sin?"

Geddit?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Funaki: 8:11pm On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

So unwittingly yes?
which sin is accidental? There's nothing someone won't hear on nairaland.

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 8:32pm On Jun 06, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I don't think you have the ability to understand this. It won't matter how much it is explained to you, or how comprehensively, you will still not understand it until you get off your high horse and submit to God in Jesus Christ.

Suffice to say that a free will for human beings is the ability to choose to submit to God or to remain in rebellion against Him. That is, it is the ability to choose an attitude toward God.

An attitude can be maintained in spite of the specific actions carried out moment by moment, so a person who still sins sometimes can still maintain an overall attitude of submission to God rather than one of rebellion. This is even further proven by the person's willingness to confess every failure and accept both forgiveness and discipline from Him.

When Christians are set free from sin at the point of belief (that is, at the point that they choose to adopt a general attitude of submission to God), they are freed from a general attitude of rebellion toward God. That choice can be made even though by nature we are enemies of God. That is the point that Paul was making: that we who believe have gone from being enemies to being servants of God by the choice we made to believe.

Freedom from sin, therefore, only means the freedom to serve God according to His Will. It is not within our ability to change our innate attitude to God. When we choose to believe, however, God effects that change for us so that we can serve Him as we should. That is the "setting free" happening here.

As I sometimes tell you, I don't always answer for your benefit. That would be a waste of time and energy. This is one of those times.

Why you choose to reply remains your business, I don't particularly care neither do I care if you do answer, you aren't the only christian on NL.

So free will has nothing to do with morality, just about choosing the god or not?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 8:36pm On Jun 06, 2019
budaatum:

You are not free my Lord. Every minute you worry about tomorrow and hope it improves on today.

Ok. Maybe. LoL

Let me translate to English and we'll see if you get it.

"On another level how are humans free from sin if they still sin?"

Geddit?

If you are saying we all the same then yes. If not, no I don't geddit.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by budaatum: 8:39pm On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

Ok. Maybe. LoL

If you are saying we all the same then yes. If not, no I don't geddit.
You goddit in two my Lord. That's what you said.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 8:47pm On Jun 06, 2019
Funaki:

which sin is accidental? There's nothing someone won't hear on nairaland.

I don't know o!
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Ihedinobi3: 9:35pm On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

Why you choose to reply remains your business, I don't particularly care neither do I care if you do answer, you aren't the only christian on NL.

So free will has nothing to do with morality, just about choosing the god or not?
Very well then.

The meaning of morality in biblical theology is the ability to respond to God's Authority. So, free will has everything to do with morality. It is free will that makes us moral creatures.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 9:43pm On Jun 06, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Very well then.

The meaning of morality in biblical theology is the ability to respond to God's Authority. So, free will has everything to do with morality. It is free will that makes us moral creatures.

But you said free will is about choosing the god did you not?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Ihedinobi3: 9:54pm On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

But you said free will is about choosing the god did you not?
Perhaps you should have cared more for what my preface said.

Morality is the ability to respond to God's Authority, that is, the ability to choose to submit to God or to rebel against Him.

Free will is the ability to choose to submit to God or to rebel against Him.

Are you still confused?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 9:58pm On Jun 06, 2019
tintingz:
You're beginning to grasp at straws.

I've answered you, now answer my question, before I was created did God knows my end and in details?
We will get to that. I need you to state categorically that Jesus is responsible for your lies, that He makes you steal and cheat.
He is responsible for your fornication and all the lusts in your heart.

When you answer me, we'll move to your question
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 9:59pm On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

So unwittingly yes?
What is unwittingly?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by tintingz(m): 10:16pm On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

We will get to that. I need you to state categorically that Jesus is responsible for your lies, that He makes you steal and cheat.
He is responsible for your fornication and all the lusts in your heart.

When you answer me, we'll move to your question

Every actions and decisions humans make God the destiny writer, the all-knowing, the creator is responsible for every damn thing in the world if we go by Abrahamic-religion attributes of God!!!

So stop strawmaning and answer my damn question.

Did God before I was created knows my end and in details?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 10:24pm On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

What is unwittingly?

without being aware; unintentionally.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 10:26pm On Jun 06, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Perhaps you should have cared more for what my preface said.

Morality is the ability to respond to God's Authority, that is, the ability to choose to submit to God or to rebel against Him.

Free will is the ability to choose to submit to God or to rebel against Him.

Are you still confused?

Nope it's clear. However follow up question, if I don't choose the god but still live a good life I will still be condemn to hell?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Ihedinobi3: 10:35pm On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

Nope it's clear. However follow up question, if I don't choose the god but still live a good life I will still be condemn to hell?
I don't think it is to you given your follow up question.

There is no such thing as a good life that can be lived in rebellion against God.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 12:03am On Jun 07, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I don't think it is to you given your follow up question.

There is no such thing as a good life that can be lived in rebellion against God.

How is that?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Ihedinobi3: 12:07am On Jun 07, 2019
LordReed:

How is that?
Morality defines good and evil.

Morality is the ability to choose to submit to God or to rebel against Him.

Submission to God is good. Rebellion against Him is evil.

Therefore, it is impossible to live a good life in rebellion against God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Was Jesus A Catholic Or Protestant Or Jehovah Witness? / Was There Two Types Of Creation? / She Doesn't Believe In The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.