Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,301 members, 7,815,542 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Free Will And Freedom From Sin - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Free Will And Freedom From Sin (2368 Views)

Peter Ebhota Udo Dies Of Hypertension 22 Months After Freedom From Kidnappers / The Right Prayer For Repentance From Sin / Practical Ways To Remain Free From Sin And Demonic Control. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 9:09pm On Jun 05, 2019
Christians say the God gave us free will yet their bible says

Romans 6:18 
And, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

How could we have had free will if we needed to be set free from sin? Doesn't it not suggest that we weren't free? If we were free what then is freedom from sin? Why do I need to be freed if I am already free?

On another level how are Christians free from sin if they still sin? Is this freedom false? Just a pipe dream?

1 Like

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by UceeGod: 9:51pm On Jun 05, 2019
Oh how I wish you really want answers to your questions. But I'm sure you only want to argue on what you have negative understanding about.

The Liberty I enjoy from being freed from the bondage of Sin and being slave to the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus is beyond the understanding of the natural man. Only with experience can you understand.

2 Likes

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 6:22am On Jun 06, 2019
UceeGod:
Oh how I wish you really want answers to your questions. But I'm sure you only want to argue on what you have negative understanding about.

The Liberty I enjoy from being freed from the bondage of Sin and being slave to the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus is beyond the understanding of the natural man. Only with experience can you understand.

Nope. These are genuine questions, questions I am sure even Christians have.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by CAPSLOCKED: 7:05am On Jun 06, 2019
I have to say my favorite part of the Bible..... is where god gives humanity free will but then drowns them all for not using it the way he wanted.

LOL

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by hakeem4(m): 7:30am On Jun 06, 2019
UceeGod:

which bondage of sin ?

And you’re also a slave

2 Likes

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by UceeGod: 8:10am On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

Nope. These are genuine questions, questions I am sure even Christians have.
Not everyone who claims he's a Christian has the Seed of Christ. The Seed is His Spirit. Not everyone who has this Spirit can has been able to appropriate this freedom from Sin and slavery to righteousness even though the victory has been given.
The freedom we enjoy from being slave to Righteousness is a paradox and spiritual realities you all can never understand unless you humble yourself and ask for Christ's Spirit.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 9:21am On Jun 06, 2019
UceeGod:

Not everyone who claims he's a Christian has the Seed of Christ. The Seed is His Spirit. Not everyone who has this Spirit can has been able to appropriate this freedom from Sin and slavery to righteousness even though the victory has been given.
The freedom we enjoy from being slave to Righteousness is a paradox and spiritual realities you all can never understand unless you humble yourself and ask for Christ's Spirit.

Do you sin?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 9:30am On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

How could we have had free will if we needed to be set free from sin? Doesn't it not suggest that we weren't free? If we were free what then is freedom from sin? Why do I need to be freed if I am already free?

On another level how are Christians free from sin if they still sin? Is this freedom false? Just a pipe dream?
If I talk now, you go begin cry dey insult me. make I leave you alone. Enjoy your sins.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by domino4211(m): 9:36am On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

Do you sin?
.. I'll become a christian again if he can answer this very simple question grin
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 9:42am On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

Do you sin?
Did you as a baby peed , pooed and puked on yourself? Do you still do so now? Why not?

How did you know to stop doing those things? You were taught how to do them differently.

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

The difference between You and Me is that, if I fall, I admit that I have sinned, there's a hand that is ready to lift me up. I have an opportunity to continue growing into perfection.

But, You? You sin Willingly and a so proud to throw it around even boast about it.

1 Like

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 10:07am On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

Did you as a baby peed , pooed and puked on yourself? Do you still do so now? Why not?

How did you know to stop doing those things? You were taught how to do them differently.

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

The difference between You and Me is that, if I fall, I admit that I have sinned, there's a hand that is ready to lift me up. I have an opportunity to continue growing into perfection.

But, You? You sin Willingly and a so proud to throw it around even boast about it.

I never say I am free of my bodily functions, you say you are free from sin. How are you free if you still sin? Does a free man go to prison compound to eat prison food?

4 Likes

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 10:10am On Jun 06, 2019
domino4211:
I'll become a christian again if he can answer this very simple question grin

My hope is he won't give me a run around.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 10:27am On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

I never say I am free of my bodily functions, you say you are free from sin. How are you free if you still sin? Does a free man go to prison compound to eat prison food?
You didn't get the point did you? When we were like you, sin was okay and free. But now there's resistance inside of me whenever i think of sinning.

Oh God!!!!!!!, I want to have sex, My body is screaming with desire. But i'm not married. The Holy Spirit reminds me that I am His dwelling place and joining my body in fornication griefs Him. So does lying, cheating, stealing, pride, anger, fear, malice, murder in intentions, unforgiveness, etc.

I think of the devastation these causes to my natural partner if I were married, and tell myself to back off, and I do.

The Power to know I can do it, but refrains from doing it, is what i'm talking about.

Before, even if I know it's wrong, I couldn't Back off.
Get it?

1 Like

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 10:45am On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

You didn't get the point did you? When we were like you, sin was okay and free. But now there's resistance inside of me whenever i think of sinning.

Oh God!!!!!!!, I want to have sex, My body is screaming with desire. But i'm not married. The Holy Spirit reminds me that I am His dwelling place and joining my body in fornication griefs Him. So does lying, cheating, stealing, pride, anger, fear, malice, murder in intentions, unforgiveness, etc.

I think of the devastation these causes to my natural partner if I were married, and tell myself to back off, and I do.

The Power to know I can do it, but refrains from doing it, is what i'm talking about.

Before, even if I know it's wrong, I couldn't Back off.
Get it?

No I don't get it. What you are describing is self control not freedom. Like I asked does a free man go to the prison compound to partake of the prison fare? The word the bible uses is freedom not self control, everybody has the ability to exercise self control (in varying degrees of course) so how are you different from the rest of us? And I am not talking about acknowledging sin, that's kind of irrelevant.

4 Likes

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by malvisguy212: 11:09am On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

Do you sin?
freewill is a CHOICE to sin or not to sin. what happened when a man is addicted to sin ? he is a SLAVE to sin , which Jesus came to set us FREE .

freewill is NOT ability to do whatever you want,freewill is simply the ability to CHOSE between options " right and wrong" . what is God will ? God will is for everyone to get save, so when you are a slave to sin ( wrong choice) Christ came to set you free.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by malvisguy212: 11:11am On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

this is what I called Bible ILLITERACY.

1 Like

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 11:16am On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

No I don't get it. What you are describing is self control not freedom. Like I asked does a free man go to the prison compound to partake of the prison fare? The word the bible uses is freedom not self control, everybody has the ability to exercise self control (in varying degrees of course) so how are you different from the rest of us? And I am not talking about acknowledging sin, that's kind of irrelevant.
Now I know your problem. When it comes to Sin, everyone is free to go in and out.

Freedom comes with making Choices right? But what if you don't have the wherewithal to make the choice?

And what if what keeps you from making the choice is taken away? You become Free to do as you choose right?

This freedom does not imprison you in always doing right because you are free. You are left to do as you choose. That is freedom.

Sir, the reason sin is sin to the Believers is that power to stay away from it is given to them, but if they Willing go back to it, the scenario you painted then comes into play.

A free man who goes to the prison to eat prison food is a like a sinner who although free, return back to his old ways. (Altho, our God will forgive wen we return)

Check this out.

2 Peter 2:21-22 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Sir, it takes SELF-CONTROL (which is a Spirit of Free Will), to stay out of prison.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 11:28am On Jun 06, 2019
malvisguy212:
freewill is a CHOICE to sin or not to sin. what happened when a man is addicted to sin ? he is a SLAVE to sin , which Jesus came to set us FREE .

freewill is NOT ability to do whatever you want,freewill is simply the ability to CHOSE between options " right and wrong" . what is God will ? God will is for everyone to get save, so when you are a slave to sin ( wrong choice) Christ came to set you free.

How am I free if I am a slave?

1 Like

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 11:30am On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

Now I know your problem. When it comes to Sin, everyone is free to go in and out.

Freedom comes with making Choices right? But what if you don't have the wherewithal to make the choice?

And what if what keeps you from making the choice is taken away? You become Free to do as you choose right?

This freedom does not imprison you in always doing right because you are free. You are left to do as you choose. That is freedom.

Sir, the reason sin is sin to the Believers is that power to stay away from it is given to them, but if they Willing go back to it, the scenario you painted then comes into play.

A free man who goes to the prison to eat prison food is a like a sinner who although free, return back to his old ways. (Altho, our God will forgive wen we return)

Check this out.

2 Peter 2:21-22 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Sir, it takes SELF-CONTROL (which is a Spirit of Free Will), to stay out of prison.

Is a non Christian free to make choices to sin or not sin?

1 Like

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 11:30am On Jun 06, 2019
malvisguy212:
this is what I called Bible ILLITERACY.

Good, educate me then.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 11:46am On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

Is a non Christian free to make choices to sin or not sin?
To live a sinless life? Try it and see. lol.

Besides, a non-Christian does not even identify sin as such. It takes the Word of God to reveal to you that thinking sex in your mind is called Lust=Sin.

It takes the Bible for you to know that no matter what happened, you must forgive if someone hurts you badly. Without the Spirit of God in you, you wouldn't forgive. You may not revenge, but wld definitely not forgive him. (depending on what he did).

Another thing. A non-Christian can hold back from doing wrong for fear of the Law of the land, which ranges from the civic authority or his village gods, or to protect his reputation (If he has one), but in his heart, commits those sins because he has not identified them as sin.

Sin is not only when it is acted upon.

If you offend me and I bare you a grudge. I lock you up in my mind and harbour malicious intends against you. I project negative energies towards you by wishing you misfortunes. When I hear any bad news about you, I secretly celebrate. My dear, that is as good as killing you. If I have my way and can get away with it, I'd do it.

But, The Lord has freed us from that power and has given us a Spirit that lets us let go and pray for the well-being of that individual and wish he realizes his wrong doing and repent.

This is why we Christians no longer practice 'An Eye for an Eye'. We forgive.

Just try it and see if you can do it on your own.

1 Like

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 11:49am On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

How are you a slave if you have the Freedom to choose either to stay or go?

1 Like

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 11:50am On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

Besides, a non-Christian does not even identify sin as such. It takes the Word of God to reveal to you that thinking sex in your mind is called Lust=Sin.

It takes the Bible for you to know that no matter what happened, you must forgive if someone hurts you badly. Without the Spirit of God in you, you wouldn't forgive. You may not revenge, but wld definitely not forgive him. (depending on what he did).

Another thing. A non-Christian can hold back from doing wrong for fear of the Law of the land, which ranges from the civic authority or his village gods, or to protect his reputation (If he has one), but in his heart, commits those sins because he has not identified them as sin.

Sin is not only when it is acted upon.

If you offend me and I bare you a grudge. I lock you up in my mind and harbour malicious intends against you. I project negative energies towards you by wishing you misfortunes. When I hear any bad news about you, I secretly celebrate. My dear, that is as good as killing you. If I have my way and can get away with it, I'd do it.

But, The Lord has freed us from that power and has given us a Spirit that lets us let go and pray for the well-being of that individual and wish he realizes his wrong doing and repent.

This is why we Christians no longer practice 'An Eye for an Eye'. We forgive.

Just try it and see if you can do it on your own.

So how does a non Christian have free will if he cannot exercise it? How is it free will if he requires a liberation in order to exercise the ability to be sin free?

1 Like

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by malvisguy212: 11:51am On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

the question is , what is Good for me ? is sin Good for me ? sin and righteousness, which is to RULE over my life ? notice in verse 14 what Paul say " "Sin shall not be MASTER OVER YOU , for you are not under law but under grace." This is a promise: "Sin shall not be master over you."in other word righteousness shall be MASTER OVER YOU.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 11:52am On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

How are you a slave if you have the Freedom to choose either to stay or go?

But you just said I can't exercise it and malvisguy212 says we are slaves. Are we slaves or not?

1 Like

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by malvisguy212: 11:56am On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

Good, educate me then.
it is very hard for camel to go through the eye of a niddle , if your mind ain't prepared how can I educate you ?

1 Like

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 11:57am On Jun 06, 2019
malvisguy212:
the question is , what is Good for me ? is sin Good for me ? sin and righteousness, which is to RULE over my life ? notice in verse 14 what Paul say " "Sin shall not be MASTER OVER YOU , for you are not under law but under grace." This is a promise: "Sin shall not be master over you."in other word righteousness shall be MASTER OVER YOU.

No that is not the question. The question remains am I a slave to sin to which your bible says yes I am so then if i am a slave how do i have free will?

1 Like

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 11:58am On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

But you just said I can't exercise it and malvisguy212 says we are slaves. Are we slaves or not?

I said you can't exercise your Freedom?

Pls direct me there.

And Malvisguy said when a man is addicted to sin ? he is a SLAVE to sin , which Jesus came to set us FREE

Where did he say we are slaves?

2 Likes

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 12:02pm On Jun 06, 2019
malvisguy212:
it is very hard for camel to go through the eye of a niddle , if your mind ain't prepared how can I educate you ?

The state of my mind is not something you can know, you do you bit, that's the best you can do.
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by malvisguy212: 12:08pm On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

No that is not the question. The question remains am I a slave to sin to which your bible says yes I am so then if i am a slave how do i have free will?
you are a slave to sin because of the DECISIONS you made, did God made the decision for you ? that why in my first post , I say ”? freewill Is not the liberty to do whatever one wishes, with no accountability attached.“Free will” is simply the ability to choose between options.To make decisions between “right” and “wrong.”To choose to "do,” or “not do.”

1 Like

Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by Shepherd00: 12:08pm On Jun 06, 2019
LordReed:

So how does a non Christian have free will if he cannot exercise it?
But you are already exercising yours. Here you are an atheist. Did your parents choose it for you? Oh, you have blasphemed the Lord and His Word here in this forum, but no one forced you or restrained you. Isn't that exercising your Free Will?

You can also choose to celebrate God, but this cannot happen without being liberated first.

LordReed:

How is it free will if he requires a liberation in order to exercise the ability to be sin free?

Did you read what you typed? Before he didn't have a choice to depart from Sin.

He requires liberation before he can be sin free, because, he belonged to another Master (Sin) in the past. That Master (Sin and satan) didn't give him any room to choose another, but he is liberated from them, and left to choose either to return to his old master or stay with the new.

Why is that so hard to grasp?
Re: Free Will And Freedom From Sin by LordReed(m): 12:09pm On Jun 06, 2019
Shepherd00:

I said you can't exercise your Freedom?

Pls direct me there.

And Malvisguy said when a man is addicted to sin ? he is a SLAVE to sin , which Jesus came to set us FREE

Where did he say we are slaves?

I interpreted that to mean I would be unable to live such a life, how was I wrong?

And the question still remains unresolved if a person is a slave to sin then he is not free is he? It does matter how he became a slave, a slave is a slave.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Christianity Is Not A Religion! / Kumuyi Floats Tv Stationkumuyi / Moses Married An Amazing African Woman,shun Tribalism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.