Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,800 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:10 PM

Should Bride Price Be Abolished? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Bride Price Be Abolished? (12947 Views)

Upata Rivers State Bride Price, Marriage Constitution - Photos / Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) / Woman Begs Her Estranged Husband To Come And Collect His Bride Price. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by kenzosky: 4:51pm On Jun 08, 2019
Toks2008:

I understand your ignorant post especially the last paragraph and this is because you have a shallow understanding of how things were in the Mosaic era.

A man pays 50 shekels of silver as penalty for rape and even after this he may still not be allowed to marry the lady.

The intelligent question anyone should ask is "is a woman’s body is valued at 50 shekels of silver?"

Digging deep in the Bible reveals that a superficial and judgmental reading of this passage would be a great mistake.

Firstly, how valuable is the woman’s body and her sexuality? A shekel weights about 11 grams and would be worth about $10 in our modern economy. But how much was a shekel worth more than 3000 years ago?

In the book of Numbers, when each firstborn in the nation of Israel was redeemed, life is valued at 5 shekels (Numbers 3:44-47). Yet in Deuteronomy, the woman’s body and purity is valued at 50 shekels - 10 times the life of a Israelite. If a slave was wounded by a bull, then there was a payment of 30 shekels of silver and the bull, a very expensive creature, had to be killed (Exodus 21:31-33). How valuable is the woman’s body? More valuable than life.

But what about the forced marriage? Again this is an act of protection. In the ancient world, if a woman was not a virgin then no man would marry her. She is tainted and so her life and hopes and dreams of a family and a community are broken and smashed. She would remain a spinster or may have to turn to prostitution with no husband to care and provide for her. The demand that the man marry the woman protects her. If he takes her virginity then he must marry her. Her sexuality is so essential to her personhood and womanhood that if a man has sex with her he is committed to her for the rest of his life and hers. An incredible value is placed on sex and a woman’s rights to her body.

Surely the consequences would make a man think more than twice before raping a woman. It will cost him all and probably more if it is discovered.

But it doesn’t stop there. The payment of the shekels of silver acts as a public acknowledgement that the man did wrong and violated this woman. The way he treated her would always be known and so the way he treated her in the future would always be under scrutiny. This would again protect the woman.

The Bible doesn’t legitimise rape. It protects sexuality and the value of sex in society. It protects a woman’s body and her rights to her body. It values a woman’s body at 10 times the value of a life

RIDE ON BRO... Very educative write-up, i swear.
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by sgtponzihater1(m): 4:52pm On Jun 08, 2019
U pay for a woman who would start manipulating ur life, cannot cook for you, and expect you to abandon ur family and die for her.

African bride price practice seem mostly like a scam. Many have paid to literally make their lives a living hell.

2 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Gforce2019: 4:52pm On Jun 08, 2019
Yes. Because it's an opportunity for the bride family t to milk the groom and his family depending on the level of their financial status.
There should also be a bill pass to that effect and that female folks should no longer come into marriage without bringing sth into the table.
Nd that marriage should be a joint efforts not one female claiming house wife..

Look at all those single ladies... man don't want to marry because of the humongous responsibility.
Can you imagine me still single at 40, ladies are there to sulk your blood

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 4:53pm On Jun 08, 2019
When a woman comes into a serious argument with the husband,..she will pack her bag and go to her house

But the man stays in his house , he doesnt pack his bag and go anywhere......

So Bride price is just a psychological phenomenon reminding a Lady that she is under a man in the family, that her behaviour will determine her stay in his house

Is just like the salary we receive in a company......is the price employers pay to gain the heart of her workers

1 Like

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 08, 2019
ibkayee:

You again

sad
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by ibkayee(f): 4:54pm On Jun 08, 2019
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jun 08, 2019
ibkayee:

smiley

Reply email
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by hammerFC: 4:54pm On Jun 08, 2019
[s]
Pinuc:
Talking about bride price, some communities does not collect the so called bride price but you have a long list of items to buy, at the end of the day, you are the one who will entertain your visitors on the day of traditional marriage which will take place in the family home of the bride which most time makes the marriage exorbitant.
Looking at the whole arrangement, you will see that, marriage and process of marrying in Africa should be revisited and redefined.
The truth remains that the man will always be the head of the union whether their is price or not. All I will suggest is that the cost of marriage should be brought down to the barest minimum where everyone who wants to marry can do so conveniently. In that case, it will be a win win situation for all.
Even in Europe and America where there is nothing like bride price, the man is still the head of the union but respects his wife. Remember also, that these countries have laws that protects the woman from being cheated or molested.
[/s]

IF U ARE NOT READY FOR THE FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY THAT COMES WITH MARRIAGE, DONT GO THERE.

YORUBA NEED ODUDUWA REPUBLIC, BECOS IN THAT COUNTRY, I WILL HAPPILY COME AND MARRY UR WOMEN AND EXPECT HER TO SHOULDER THE MARRIAGE EXPENSES, AFTER ALL, I AM DOING HER A FAVOR BY MARRYING HER, THEN GO AND MARRY ANOTHER ONE LATER.

IF WE LOOK AT NIGERIA TODAY, BRIDE PRICE IS NOT EVEN CONSIDERED A PROBLEM, YET THAT IS THE ONLY PROBLEM YORUBA MEN HAVE, NOT THAT IT IS THEIR CULTURAL REQUIREMENT OOoo.

NOT HERDSMEN KILLING, NOT POVERTY, NOT PEDOPHILIA, NOT DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, NOT UNEMPLOYMENT, NOT INFRASTRUCTURE DECAY, NOT POOR PROVISION OF MEDICAL FACILITIES, DILAPIDATED EDUCATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE, NOT POOR EDUCATION SYSTEM, AND STANDARD, POOR HEALTHCARE PROVISIONS, NOT LACK OF BASIC AMENITIES PROVISIONS, NOT CHILD FORCED MARRIAGE ISLAMISATION OR KIDNAP, NO.

I SAY IT WITHOUT MISSING WORDS, THE NUMBER ONE PROBLEM IN THIS COUNTRY IS YORUBA MISDIRECTION OF THE AFFAIRS OF NIGERIA VIA CONTROL AND PROPAGANDA THROUGH NIGERIA MEDIA AIRWAYS.

2 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by bukatyne(f): 4:55pm On Jun 08, 2019
Ryan03:
Not until the bride price is returned, court paper wont hold. That is the main reason i hate it, but for me, i wish to pay for my wife

Woaw!

Has your sister tried to engage her husband towards a better relationship?
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by ibkayee(f): 4:55pm On Jun 08, 2019
GoTV:

Reply email
Hmm
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jun 08, 2019
ibkayee:

Hmm

Yea
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by bixton(m): 4:58pm On Jun 08, 2019
The kind of useless things one reads on NL is on the increase.

Pure kindergarten post.

Kindly edit your post........
Men pay dowry to get married.
Women pay bride price to be married.

1 Like

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by ibkayee(f): 5:00pm On Jun 08, 2019
GoTV:

Yea
Replied
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by naijajobx: 5:01pm On Jun 08, 2019
Yes
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by reccy(m): 5:02pm On Jun 08, 2019
Never! Not advisable. There is something that gives man confidence in the home and so also makes the wedding and marriage worthy. This is one of it.

3 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 08, 2019
ibkayee:

Replied

I sent u an attachment
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by hammerFC: 5:08pm On Jun 08, 2019
Ryan03:
Not until the bride price is returned, court paper wont hold. That is the main reason i hate it, but for me, i wish to pay for my wife

LET ME TELL U SOMETHING, IF I HAVE MY WAY, ONCE U HAVE PAID BRIDE PRICE AND MARRIED UR WIFE, IT IS NOT REFUNDABLE.

SINCE U HAVE ALREADY SLEPT WITH HER AND MISMANAGED UR HOME.

NEXT TIME, CHOOSE WISELY AND BE A BETTER MAN.

THE WHOLE POINT OF THE BRIDE PRICE SYSTEM IS TO MAKE SURE THAT MEN GO THROUGH THE MARRIAGE RITE ONCE BECOS IT IS EXPENSIVE.

SO WHERE IS THE SENSE IN REFUNDING BRIDE PRICE TO A MAN THAT COULD NOT MANAGE HIS HOME?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by tydi(m): 5:09pm On Jun 08, 2019
Toks2008:

Your opening phrase has an error...you wrote Pride price so correct that....but the irony is that it should actually be tagged Pride price and not bride price cos These days there is no pride in most ladies we pay a huge price to marry.

Further more...the original purpose of bride price in the bible was to serve as punishment for rape and it was Abraham who first gave gifts to the family of his son's wife to be Rebecca who was a virgin at that time.

What is the point?

Bride price was made for virgins and any lady who is no longer a virgin deserves no bride price in the days of old but today the practice have been manipulated by greedy families that you still have to pay so much to marry a lady who has slept with every Kunle, Peter, Chinedu,Amodu...

My opinion is that we go back to the days of old and pay bride price for virgins only.

Toks, with this comment of yours I owe you big time. And you gat a follower.. Make too much sense no go kill you.. You will live long.. Amen
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by ibkayee(f): 5:10pm On Jun 08, 2019
GoTV:

I sent u an attachment
Don't see any attachment
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by SmellingAnus(m): 5:11pm On Jun 08, 2019
bixton:
The kind of useless things one reads on NL is on the increase.

Pure kindergarten post.

Kindly edit your post........
Men pay dowry to get married.
Women pay bride price to be married.
Lol... Thank me bro... I just cured you from ignorance...

bride price
noun
noun: brideprice
a sum of money or quantity of goods given to a bride's family by that of the groom in some tribal societies.
"the larger bride price given for a virgin"

https://www.google.com/search?q=brideprice&oq=bri&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0j69i57j69i60l3.1366j1j9&client=ms-android-transsion-tecno-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

dowry
/ˈdaʊ(ə)ri/
Learn to pronounce
noun
an amount of property or money brought by a bride to her husband on their marriage.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dowry+meaning&oq=do&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j69i60l2j69i59l2.1742j0j9&client=ms-android-transsion-tecno-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

1 Like

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by nkemjacob2(m): 5:12pm On Jun 08, 2019
Bride price is wat God ordained. So stop been anti God to ttink of the opinion of removing it. Any family which take an advantage of frauding there suitor is a symbol of poverty any man maltreating his wife becos he paid his brideprice is a symbol of immaturity.

The idea of gender equality can Neva b possible. Women can't b equal with men. D man is still in charge that is wat God planned it to b. So leave all this gender madness and let the woman and
d man play their role in the house marriage will be sweet.

2 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Ryan03(f): 5:12pm On Jun 08, 2019
bukatyne:

Woaw!

Has your sister tried to engage her husband towards a better relationship?
The beating has reduced cause she have learnt to ignore most of the things he do and also found a teaching job so if he doesnt give her money for anything, she Dont complain

2 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by liberalchick(f): 5:13pm On Jun 08, 2019
Exactly! At a traditional wedding, the male members of the family gather and negotiate on how much the bride is worth. This thread should be addressed to men!
pocohantas:
I have never seen women collect bride price. It is always men collecting and sharing it.

One man pays, comes online to whine.

25yrs later, same man is billing another young man for his daughter.

Men are their own enemies.

Men will never stop collecting bride price, a practice they put in place to validate themselves.

#spits

2 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by liberalchick(f): 5:13pm On Jun 08, 2019
Marry me!
pocohantas:

Oga, when they come to marry that your sister, tell your father not to collect.

Women should fix the mess you guys made?

When will you people start taking responsibility for your actions?

Even when God asked Adam simple question,
"Adam, where are you?", Adam started to talk another thing.

Centuries later, these sons of Adam are still blaming woman. Oh Gosh!!

3 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by TSRC: 5:14pm On Jun 08, 2019
I honestly don't see anything wrong with it.

In the days of old, it was tubers and tubers of yams that was used as bride price.
Even Achebe said so in things fall apart.

You cannot marry in the olden days if your "arm" is not strong.

If you know your arm is not strong, go and marry from places that give their daughters away almost free.
It is as simple as that.

2 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by trapQ: 5:15pm On Jun 08, 2019
Did anyone tell you bride price was a periquisite for a successful marriage?
oluwaseyi000:

Do marriage need bride price to succeed
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 08, 2019
ibkayee:

Don't see any attachment

Recheck
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Ryan03(f): 5:17pm On Jun 08, 2019
hammerFC:

LET ME TELL U SOMETHING, IF I HAVE MY WAY, ONCE U HAVE PAID BRIDE PRICE AND MARRIED UR WIFE, IT IS NOT REFUNDABLE.

SINCE U HAVE ALREADY SLEPT WITH HER AND MISMANAGED UR HOME.

NEXT TIME, CHOOSE WISELY AND BE A BETTER MAN.

THE WHOLE POINT OF THE BRIDE PRICE SYSTEM IS TO MAKE SURE THAT MEN GO THROUGH THE MARRIAGE RITE ONCE BECOS IT IS EXPENSIVE.

SO WHERE IS THE SENSE IN REFUNDING BRIDE PRICE TO A MAN THAT COULD NOT MANAGE HIS HOME?
Lol, you make sense o but that is the tradition, nor be me put am. I think it is the money paid that binds them in the traditional setting so once the money is returned, the lady is free
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by trapQ: 5:18pm On Jun 08, 2019
You never fail to deliver.

My girl wink kiss
pocohantas:
I have never seen women collect bride price. It is always men collecting and sharing it.

One man pays, comes online to whine.

25yrs later, same man is billing another young man for his daughter.

Men are their own enemies.

Men will never stop collecting bride price, a practice they put in place to validate themselves.

#spits

2 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by enemyofprogress: 5:18pm On Jun 08, 2019
Ajepako ishilove dominique Folake4u vickyrotex lankybaby funkeshugar and fatymore na una course be this o make una answer

1 Like

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by hammerFC: 5:22pm On Jun 08, 2019
Ryan03:
Lol, you make sense o but that is the tradition, nor be me put am. I think it is the money paid that binds them in the traditional setting so once the money is returned, the lady is free

EHN, THAT ONE NEEDS TO BE ABOLISHED.

NO WOMAN WANT TO LEAVE HER MARRIAGE, UNLESS SHE IS NOT BEING TAKEN CARE OF PROPERLY OR ABUSE.

WE NEED CUSTOMARY COURT TO SERVE CERTIFICATE OF ANNULMENT OF MARRIAGE INSTEAD OF REFUNDING THE MONEY.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

. / Toke Makinwa's First Vlog After The Scandal. / How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.