Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,042 members, 7,818,090 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Should Bride Price Be Abolished? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Bride Price Be Abolished? (12977 Views)

Upata Rivers State Bride Price, Marriage Constitution - Photos / Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) / Woman Begs Her Estranged Husband To Come And Collect His Bride Price. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jun 08, 2019
Bride price is money and gift items that a man give out to a lady family to marry her, of cause it is like something in exchange for something, a business, a transaction.

Looking at the 21st century and the advocacy for gender equality, I think pride price completely has no place in today's world, women want equality but once a man paid for acquiring you you are more or less his surbodinate,

The argument of if he values you he will pay anything for you do not hold any water, it only hint at the fact that you are a material thing that is more expensive

The argument of your parent taking care of you is also baseless, his own parent took care of him too and your parents took care of their male children without expecting anything in return except from their child and this argument actually hint that your parent do not trust you to succeed and take care of them after all they've spent on you hence they are willing to cut their loss and cash out when any man comes calling

I think African parents/family are simply long throat and outrightly archaic, they are never willing to let go of the tiny gains for a better society for their daughter

Also it seems Africans cannot achieve anything on their own except their slave master (Whites) ask them to, if the slave master want to abolish pride price in Africa they would have, but Africa can't just do it on their own, I'm sure if not for the white killing of twins will still be here

Saying a man won't respect his wife if he doesn't pay to acquire her is a complete lie, guys don't pay their friends to be friends with them yet they won't undervalue their friends

The fact that feminists are not taking this matter up against their family still baffles me, there is even no NGO organisation against it yet thousands of NGO are up for women right and unwilling to attack its root cause

In as much as there is bride price, there can never be a successful and established women right, a wife will always feel like an employee to her husband the employer rather than a partnership business startup

Of cause since it is a game of money, the man will marry another woman or chase other girls if/when he can afford more than one person bride price

Women/ladies rise up against bride price, you are humans not commodity

NO MARRIAGE NEED BRIDE PRICE TO SUCCEED

Cc luminouz toks2008 amarabae
Kemight15, tosyne2much XhosaNostra Tmissy3000, Princedapace, HardMirror, Martinez39, slimbless, lovelygurl, pansophist, JoyTracy, NwaAmaikpe, Queenrabella, 93Miles, Offpoint, Toks2008 larisoft, RoyalBlak007, Jydebauer, ceasare, 2tek, Explorers, MrPresident1, olaideeeedris, queene

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by kenzosky: 11:49am On Jun 08, 2019
Yes it should be abolished since marriages no longer mean nothing than two people tying the knot and before we could finish saying congratulations, the marriage is over or the couple starts cheating on each other.Joke Apart, @OP. Non let African men catch you oo, most especially the one's on Nairaland, them go sk:n you alive for bringing this ABOMINATION to their table when they were just on their own je je je minding their business, non say i non tell you o...

PS.I think men should be happy that the Feminist Association of Nigeria (FAON) are considering taking up the fight to abolish BRIDE PRICE, my advise is that, men should accept and take it in good faith, its one less responsibility for men, after-all, why work all your life to pay the bride price of one OLO-SH....sorry, one woman who is going to cheat on you tomorrow and when caught is going to tell you that she didn't cheat, that she was only on a sexual research.

20 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jun 08, 2019
It shouldn’t.

How else do you want husband to remind their wife they own them during an argument?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by luminouz(m): 12:12pm On Jun 08, 2019
oluwaseyi000:
Pride price is money and gift items that a man give out to a lady family to marry her, of cause it is like something in exchange for something, a business, a transaction.

Looking at the 21st century and the advocacy for gender equality, I think pride price completely has no place in today's world, women want equality but once a man paid for acquiring you you are more or less his surbodinate,

The argument of if he values you he will pay anything for you do not hold any water, it only hint at the fact that you are a material thing that is more expensive

The argument of your parent taking care of you is also baseless, his own parent took care of him too and your parents took care of their male children without expecting anything in return except from their child and this argument actually hint that your parent do not trust you to succeed and take care of them after all they've spent on you hence they are willing to cut their loss and cash out when any man comes calling

I think African parents/family are simply long throat and outrightly archaic, they are never willing to let go of the tiny gains for a better society for their daughter

Also it seems Africans cannot achieve anything on their own except their slave master (Whites) ask them to, if the slave master want to abolish pride price in Africa they would have, but Africa can't just do it on their own, I'm sure if not for the white killing of twins will still be here

Saying a man won't respect his wife if he doesn't pay to acquire her is a complete lie, guys don't pay their friends to be friends with them yet they won't undervalue their friends

The fact that feminists are not taking this matter up against their family still baffles me, there is even no NGO organisation against it yet thousands of NGO are up for women right and unwilling to attack its root cause

In as much as there is bride price, there can never be a successful and established women right, a wife will always feel like an employee to her husband the employer rather than a partnership business startup

Of cause since it is a game of money, the man will marry another woman or chase other girls if/when he can afford more than one person bride price

Now,this is more like it....
Lemme add,since we are on the topic of equality,after scraping the bride price issh...then we split the bills babe....I will cook,clean,wash and even fry anything,but get ready to open ur checkbooks for ur portion of the monthly rent,school fees of kids,housing project,taking care of both our parents and siblings. My car breaks down or I'm broke or whatever,you assume responsibility...feel free to check my phone cuz i willl check urs...u see me cheat outside,cheat too or file for divorce. If job no dey,babe u take care of the house as long as it takes to get a new one, with no complaints whatsoever....we are after all partners in this institution and na hia we go die together...

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by ibkayee(f): 12:19pm On Jun 08, 2019
It’s meant to be a symbolic gesture/formality, but all I see it as is buying the woman as a commodity, a chance for greedy in laws to extort and take advantage and an excuse for some men to mistreat their wives and lord 'ownership' over them during arguments. Then again men who use it as an excuse were probably going to mistreat her without it anyway tbh.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 08, 2019
ibkayee:
It’s meant to be a symbolic gesture/formality, but all I see it as is buying the woman as a commodity, a chance for greedy in laws to extort and take advantage and an excuse for some men to mistreat their wives and lord 'ownership' it over them during arguments (then again men who use it as an excuse were probably going to mistreat her without it anyway tbh).

And so many wouldn't because the I've paid your bride mentality/clause wouldn't be there anymore, and the lady can easily move on from an abusive partner since no trading was involve

2 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Ryan03(f): 12:46pm On Jun 08, 2019
Some in-laws are so greedy that they see bride price as a means to cripple the would be couples financially. It will be better if they abolish it, men will learn to respect their wives more. I have a married cousin who is being battered by her husband on a regular basis, after reporting the matter to family, all my greedy uncles could say was that "marriage is not a bed of roses" simply because they Dont want to refund bride price and she can never leave that marriage without doing that. If she do, she can never marry another man or even have sex, the laws binding married women of the land still binds her.

19 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Jokerman(m): 12:53pm On Jun 08, 2019
Bride price cannot be abolished ??

This is what God knows about about two persons who are legally married

5 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Headlesschicken(m): 1:00pm On Jun 08, 2019
undecided It can't be abolished till Christ comes,u better don't ask this question in yuh village...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jun 08, 2019
Jokerman:
Bride price cannot be abolished ??

This is what God knows about about two persons who are legally married

Do marriage need bride price to succeed

3 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Toks2008(m): 1:20pm On Jun 08, 2019
oluwaseyi000:
Pride price is money and gift items that a man give out to a lady family to marry her, of cause it is like something in exchange for something, a business, a transaction.

NO MARRIAGE NEED BRIDE PRICE TO SUCCEED

Kemight15, tosyne2much XhosaNostra Tmissy3000, Princedapace, HardMirror, Martinez39, slimbless, lovelygurl, pansophist, JoyTracy, NwaAmaikpe, Queenrabella, 93Miles, Offpoint, Toks2008 larisoft, RoyalBlak007, Jydebauer, ceasare, 2tek, Explorers, MrPresident1, olaideeeedris, queene

Your opening phrase has an error...you wrote Pride price so correct that....but the irony is that it should actually be tagged Pride price and not bride price cos These days there is no pride in most ladies we pay a huge price to marry.

Further more...the original purpose of bride price in the bible was to serve as punishment for rape and it was Abraham who first gave gifts to the family of his son's wife to be Rebecca who was a virgin at that time.

What is the point?

Bride price was made for virgins and any lady who is no longer a virgin deserves no bride price in the days of old but today the practice have been manipulated by greedy families that you still have to pay so much to marry a lady who has slept with every Kunle, Peter, Chinedu,Amodu...

My opinion is that we go back to the days of old and pay bride price for virgins only.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jun 08, 2019
Toks2008:

Your opening phrase has an error...you wrote Pride price so correct that....but the irony is that it should actually be tagged Pride price and not bride price cos These days there is no pride in most ladies we pay a huge price to marry.

Further more...the original purpose of bride price in the bible was to serve as punishment for rape and it was Abraham who first gave gifts to the family of his son's wife to be Rebecca who was a virgin at that time.

What is the point?

Bride price was made for virgins and any lady who is no longer a virgin deserves no bride price in the days of old but today the practice have been manipulated by greedy families that you still have to pay so much to marry a lady who has slept with every Kunle, Peter, Chinedu,Amodu...

My opinion is that we go back to the days of old and pay bride price for virgins only.

Lalasticlala I guess this is a good one.

In as much as I'm tempted to agree with you, segregating bride price for only virgin will only reinforced that women are commodity that we pay higher for the 'good' ones, if you want a virgin and your current babe is not one simply break up and look for what you want same way you will ditch an illiterate for a literate if that's what you want, same things should go for ladies that want virgin male, I personally believe virginity is not by force it's a choice and not all relationship will lead to marriage

And about god in the bible asking rapist to pay bride price and then marry their victims I think the most high god must be high on some oshogbo weed, if anything that will make us see the true intent of bride price as a legal tool for women oppression

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by pocohantas(f): 1:34pm On Jun 08, 2019
I have never seen women collect bride price. It is always men collecting and sharing it.

One man pays, comes online to whine.

25yrs later, same man is billing another young man for his daughter.

Men are their own enemies.

Men will never stop collecting bride price, a practice they put in place to validate themselves.

#spits

53 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 08, 2019
pocohantas:
I have never seen women collect bride price. It is always men collecting and sharing it.

25yrs later same man is billing another young man for his daughter.

#spits

Women are the best to kick against it, hold their family to ransome against it, raise awareness and NGO to fight it, just as they've been doing for gender equality, mothers to teach their sons against it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by pocohantas(f): 1:42pm On Jun 08, 2019
oluwaseyi000:

Women are the best to kick against it, hold their family to ransome against it, raise awareness and NGO to fight it, just as they've been doing for gender equality, mothers to teach their sons against it

Oga, when they come to marry that your sister, tell your father not to collect.

Women should fix the mess you guys made?

When will you people start taking responsibility for your actions?

Even when God asked Adam simple question,
"Adam, where are you?", Adam started to talk another thing.

Centuries later, these sons of Adam are still blaming woman. Oh Gosh!!

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by AmazonTopaz(f): 1:44pm On Jun 08, 2019
Yes it should.
The time brideprice came it was when women wereseen as commodities.
Brideprice demeans and degrades women you only pay or buy commodities not human beings.
It is an insult to women.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by luminouz(m): 1:47pm On Jun 08, 2019
Toks2008:

What is the point?

Lalasticlala I guess this is a good one.
Must u include my name among those the lady slept with? undecided
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by chinchonglee(m): 1:50pm On Jun 08, 2019
pocohantas:

25yrs later same man is billing another young man for his daughter.

Men will never stop collecting bride price, a practice they put in place to validate themselves.

#spits
What is dis one saying

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by octavia77(m): 1:52pm On Jun 08, 2019
like now now

1 Like

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Toks2008(m): 2:25pm On Jun 08, 2019
oluwaseyi000:

In as much as I'm tempted to agree with you, segregating bride price for only virgin will only reinforced that women are commodity that we pay higher for the 'good' ones, if you want a virgin and your current babe is not one simply break up and look for what you want same way you will ditch an illiterate for a literate if that's what you want, same things should go for ladies that want virgin male, I personally believe virginity is not by force it's a choice and not all relationship will lead to marriage

And about god in the bible asking rapist to pay bride price and then marry their victims I think the most high god must be high on some oshogbo weed, if anything that will make us see the true intent of bride price as a legal tool for women oppression

I understand your ignorant post especially the last paragraph and this is because you have a shallow understanding of how things were in the Mosaic era.

A man pays 50 shekels of silver as penalty for rape and even after this he may still not be allowed to marry the lady.

The intelligent question anyone should ask is "is a woman’s body is valued at 50 shekels of silver?"

Digging deep in the Bible reveals that a superficial and judgmental reading of this passage would be a great mistake.

Firstly, how valuable is the woman’s body and her sexuality? A shekel weights about 11 grams and would be worth about $10 in our modern economy. But how much was a shekel worth more than 3000 years ago?

In the book of Numbers, when each firstborn in the nation of Israel was redeemed, life is valued at 5 shekels (Numbers 3:44-47). Yet in Deuteronomy, the woman’s body and purity is valued at 50 shekels - 10 times the life of a Israelite. If a slave was wounded by a bull, then there was a payment of 30 shekels of silver and the bull, a very expensive creature, had to be killed (Exodus 21:31-33). How valuable is the woman’s body? More valuable than life.

But what about the forced marriage? Again this is an act of protection. In the ancient world, if a woman was not a virgin then no man would marry her. She is tainted and so her life and hopes and dreams of a family and a community are broken and smashed. She would remain a spinster or may have to turn to prostitution with no husband to care and provide for her. The demand that the man marry the woman protects her. If he takes her virginity then he must marry her. Her sexuality is so essential to her personhood and womanhood that if a man has sex with her he is committed to her for the rest of his life and hers. An incredible value is placed on sex and a woman’s rights to her body.

Surely the consequences would make a man think more than twice before raping a woman. It will cost him all and probably more if it is discovered.

But it doesn’t stop there. The payment of the shekels of silver acts as a public acknowledgement that the man did wrong and violated this woman. The way he treated her would always be known and so the way he treated her in the future would always be under scrutiny. This would again protect the woman.

The Bible doesn’t legitimise rape. It protects sexuality and the value of sex in society. It protects a woman’s body and her rights to her body. It values a woman’s body at 10 times the value of a life

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 08, 2019
pocohantas:

25yrs later, same man is billing another young man for his daughter.

#spits

Heh. Women pay dowry in India. And my understanding is that it is not cheap. And Indian / paki / Arab men top the list of all around horrible guys.

Just sayin’

@op, it really depends. A wedding is supposed to be fun and games and in a lot of cultures that is what it is. My wife’s dowry was 20k. Maybe I should remind her of that next time she gets saucy. cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jun 08, 2019
Brb.
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Cyberleets: 4:03pm On Jun 08, 2019
Nonsense thread...even Adam paid with his ribs to just have eve

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by arthurmate: 4:03pm On Jun 08, 2019
OPERATION YOU MUST NOT BE SINGLE BEFORE END OF THIS YEAR. LET'S HELP YOU TO CONNECT WITH YOUR TRUE LOVE NOW!

Love is something different. Love is sweet, infact, true Love is the sweetest thing ever and even God almighty himself is Love!

Two Things You Don't Fight For; True Love and A True Friend
Love and Friendship are the touchstones of our lives, they define who we are and so when you truly love someone, to hell with butterfly in the tummy, you feel the whole zoo when you are with that person!

Until you meet someone you are scared to cheat on, you have no idea what being "IN LOVE" means!

Ready to meet that special one that makes you feel the ‘whole zoo’ in your tummy?

Just message the Admin on Telegram or whatsapp and once your details are verified, connecting starts immediately

NOTE THIS: If you are not ready for serious relationship, if you are looking for 2nd wife, if you are looking for sugar mummy, sugar daddy or sugar baby, if you are a married man or woman looking for 'sarawagba' (we have chased out and embarrassed over 30 married men from the platform so far) and if you are not ready to register to verify your details. PLEASE DONT BOTHER JOINING BECAUSE WE DONT WANT OR ACCEPT ANYONE OR ANYTHING THAT WOULD PHYSICALLY OR EMOTIONALLY AFFECT THE WELL BEING OF OUR DEAR MEMBERS!
ALSO NOTE that the couple that met and got married on our platform last year are waxing strong in their marriage and so, we want so many marriages and serious relationship consummated this very year!

Signup, registration and membership absolutely free

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? START YOUR TRUE LOVE CONNECTION NOW.

WHATSAPP OR TELEGRAM ADMIN NOW

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 08, 2019
Yes
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 08, 2019
No
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Forreellinc: 4:03pm On Jun 08, 2019
angry u think say toto na for free?

1 Like

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jun 08, 2019
When you bear daughters, give them out for free.

Ana rapu omenala, me be ome ne enu

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by emerged01(m): 4:05pm On Jun 08, 2019
We,men are not complaining o! Let them make it millions of naira,we will pay.

Thank God and I'm married with 5 beauiful girls.

1 Like

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by ifyalways(f): 4:05pm On Jun 08, 2019
No.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Prepare For Retirement Without Stress / How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages / That One Child That You Love, But Will Frustrate You Unintentionally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.