Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

Should Bride Price Be Abolished? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Bride Price Be Abolished? (12950 Views)

Upata Rivers State Bride Price, Marriage Constitution - Photos / Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) / Woman Begs Her Estranged Husband To Come And Collect His Bride Price. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by liberalchick(f): 5:23pm On Jun 08, 2019
Yes o that’s if she did not marry in the court. If she did then she can be granted divorce in the court. However, if she did just trad, then the courts will have to refer to the customary laws. Scary stuff.
bukatyne:

So even if she gets a formal divorce, the laws still binds her?

That's bondage.
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by AmazonTopaz(f): 5:24pm On Jun 08, 2019
Ubiudumo:
There's no valid marriage without bride price
marry under the act your marriage is valid without brideprice because it is legal.
Brideprice validity is required under customarily law only.
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by liberalchick(f): 5:26pm On Jun 08, 2019
Exactly, bride price or not, a man that will maltreat his wife WOULD. In fact there are some Nigerian women that pay their own bride price because their husbands can’t afford it lol and they still get treated like shit.

bukatyne:
@OP:

Before dowry was abolished in Britain, wives gave their husbands yet they were maltreated.

In India, wives still pay dowries yet their husbands treat them like crap.

@cancelation: it was symbolic and part of the rites of marriage and building up another family with the husband as the head.

4 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Ryan03(f): 5:27pm On Jun 08, 2019
hammerFC:

EHN, THAT ONE NEEDS TO BE ABOLISHED.

NO WOMAN WANT TO LEAVE HER MARRIAGE, UNLESS SHE IS NOT BEING TAKEN CARE OF PROPERLY OR ABUSE.
The old law Dont favour women, that was what gave rise to feminism but some crazy women abused it
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jun 08, 2019
Abolished for what stupid reason?
If you cannot pay simple bride price you have no business getting married, I mean...you cannot afford or you choose not to pay, how will you now afford or choose to take care of the family you want to start? And marriage is a forever thing o

1 Like

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by trapQ: 5:29pm On Jun 08, 2019
You made some sense in the beginning but spoilt it with trash as usual.

No where in the Bible was it stated that men didn't or forbade marrying non-virgins. Remember the samiritan woman who had had 5 legitimate husbands?

Remember the woman who married brothers that kept dying? And was also supposed to marry the youngest boy when he was grown into a man?

The Bible spoke on this topic but there is only one category of men which was commanded to not marry divorced women or women with kids. Not sure if it said non-virgins.
Toks2008:

I understand your ignorant post especially the last paragraph and this is because you have a shallow understanding of how things were in the Mosaic era.

A man pays 50 shekels of silver as penalty for rape and even after this he may still not be allowed to marry the lady.

The intelligent question anyone should ask is "is a woman’s body is valued at 50 shekels of silver?"

Digging deep in the Bible reveals that a superficial and judgmental reading of this passage would be a great mistake.

Firstly, how valuable is the woman’s body and her sexuality? A shekel weights about 11 grams and would be worth about $10 in our modern economy. But how much was a shekel worth more than 3000 years ago?

In the book of Numbers, when each firstborn in the nation of Israel was redeemed, life is valued at 5 shekels (Numbers 3:44-47). Yet in Deuteronomy, the woman’s body and purity is valued at 50 shekels - 10 times the life of a Israelite. If a slave was wounded by a bull, then there was a payment of 30 shekels of silver and the bull, a very expensive creature, had to be killed (Exodus 21:31-33). How valuable is the woman’s body? More valuable than life.

But what about the forced marriage? Again this is an act of protection. In the ancient world, if a woman was not a virgin then no man would marry her. She is tainted and so her life and hopes and dreams of a family and a community are broken and smashed. She would remain a spinster or may have to turn to prostitution with no husband to care and provide for her. The demand that the man marry the woman protects her. If he takes her virginity then he must marry her. Her sexuality is so essential to her personhood and womanhood that if a man has sex with her he is committed to her for the rest of his life and hers. An incredible value is placed on sex and a woman’s rights to her body.

Surely the consequences would make a man think more than twice before raping a woman. It will cost him all and probably more if it is discovered.

But it doesn’t stop there. The payment of the shekels of silver acts as a public acknowledgement that the man did wrong and violated this woman. The way he treated her would always be known and so the way he treated her in the future would always be under scrutiny. This would again protect the woman.

The Bible doesn’t legitimise rape. It protects sexuality and the value of sex in society. It protects a woman’s body and her rights to her body. It values a woman’s body at 10 times the value of a life

3 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by hammerFC: 5:29pm On Jun 08, 2019
Ryan03:
The old law Dont favour women, that was what gave rise to feminism but some crazy women abused it

CUSTOMARY LAW SHOULD BE A BRANCH UNDER THE FAMILY LAW SECTION.

WE HAVE CUSTOMARY COURT, THAT CAN SERVE CERTIFICATE OF ANNULMENT FOR TRAD MARRIAGE, INSTEAD OF RETURNING THE MONEY.

THIS IS THE ONLY REFORM WE NEED TO MAKE.
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by kindness44: 5:31pm On Jun 08, 2019
Jokerman:
Bride price cannot be abolished ??

This is what God knows about about two persons who are legally married
there is no place in the Bible that mentioned payment of bride prize, it is man-made not biblical. there is different between dowries & bride price.

1 Like

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by hammerFC: 5:33pm On Jun 08, 2019
kindness44:

there is no place in the Bible that mentioned payment of bride prize, it is man-made not biblical. there is different between diary & bride price.

AFONJA GO AND CONTINUE MARRYING YOUR WOMEN FOR FREE.

AND WOMEN LIKE TONTO DIKEH THAT PAY THEIR OWN BRIDE PRICE AND LATER SHAMELESSLY, CRY ON YOUTUBE ABOUT IT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il9CtaCat4E
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by trapQ: 5:33pm On Jun 08, 2019
Did God also know about wife battery like you guys do today?

luluman:
OK, correct. But did God also know about gender equality in marriage? If women want to be with God, then it should be 100% if they want civilization, its also 100%

1 Like

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by molybdenum0012: 5:36pm On Jun 08, 2019
Meanwhile

Is your child struggling with school work? Do you need a personalized in-home or online tutor to help improve your grade in school?

We are here for you. All our tutors are verified, so no issue of insecurity.

You can also become part of our team of tutors provided you meet the criteria. Check below to apply.

Check my signature below and book a tutor anywhere in Nigeria
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jun 08, 2019
Why do children of nowadays feels they are wiser than our ancestors?

1 Like

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by trapQ: 5:40pm On Jun 08, 2019
Wait a min....yorubas don't pay bride price?
hammerFC:
[s][/s]

IF U ARE NOT READY FOR THE FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY THAT COMES WITH MARRIAGE, DONT GO THERE.

YORUBA NEED ODUDUWA REPUBLIC, BECOS IN THAT COUNTRY, I WILL HAPPILY COME AND MARRY UR WOMEN AND EXPECT HER TO SHOULDER THE MARRIAGE EXPENSES, AFTER ALL, I AM DOING HER A FAVOR BY MARRYING HER, THEN GO AND MARRY ANOTHER ONE LATER.

IF WE LOOK AT NIGERIA TODAY, BRIDE PRICE IS NOT EVEN CONSIDERED A PROBLEM, YET THAT IS THE ONLY PROBLEM YORUBA MEN HAVE, NOT THAT IT IS THEIR CULTURAL REQUIREMENT OOoo.

NOT HERDSMEN KILLING, NOT POVERTY, NOT PEDOPHILIA, NOT DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, NOT UNEMPLOYMENT, NOT INFRASTRUCTURE DECAY, NOT POOR PROVISION OF MEDICAL FACILITIES, DILAPIDATED EDUCATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE, NOT POOR EDUCATION SYSTEM, AND STANDARD, POOR HEALTHCARE PROVISIONS, NOT LACK OF BASIC AMENITIES PROVISIONS, NOT CHILD FORCED MARRIAGE ISLAMISATION OR KIDNAP, NO.

I SAY IT WITHOUT MISSING WORDS, THE NUMBER ONE PROBLEM IN THIS COUNTRY IS YORUBA MISDIRECTION OF THE AFFAIRS OF NIGERIA VIA CONTROL AND PROPAGANDA THROUGH NIGERIA MEDIA AIRWAYS.
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by trapQ: 5:43pm On Jun 08, 2019
Is this happening in real life?
Ryan03:
The beating has reduced cause she have learnt to ignore most of the things he do and also found a teaching job so if he doesnt give her money for anything, she Dont complain
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 08, 2019
oluwaseyi000:
Bride price is money and gift items that a man give out to a lady family to marry her, of cause it is like something in exchange for something, a business, a transaction.

Looking at the 21st century and the advocacy for gender equality, I think pride price completely has no place in today's world, women want equality but once a man paid for acquiring you you are more or less his surbodinate,

The argument of if he values you he will pay anything for you do not hold any water, it only hint at the fact that you are a material thing that is more expensive

The argument of your parent taking care of you is also baseless, his own parent took care of him too and your parents took care of their male children without expecting anything in return except from their child and this argument actually hint that your parent do not trust you to succeed and take care of them after all they've spent on you hence they are willing to cut their loss and cash out when any man comes calling

I think African parents/family are simply long throat and outrightly archaic, they are never willing to let go of the tiny gains for a better society for their daughter

Also it seems Africans cannot achieve anything on their own except their slave master (Whites) ask them to, if the slave master want to abolish pride price in Africa they would have, but Africa can't just do it on their own, I'm sure if not for the white killing of twins will still be here

Saying a man won't respect his wife if he doesn't pay to acquire her is a complete lie, guys don't pay their friends to be friends with them yet they won't undervalue their friends

The fact that feminists are not taking this matter up against their family still baffles me, there is even no NGO organisation against it yet thousands of NGO are up for women right and unwilling to attack its root cause

In as much as there is bride price, there can never be a successful and established women right, a wife will always feel like an employee to her husband the employer rather than a partnership business startup

Of cause since it is a game of money, the man will marry another woman or chase other girls if/when he can afford more than one person bride price

Women/ladies rise up against bride price, you are humans not commodity

NO MARRIAGE NEED BRIDE PRICE TO SUCCEED

Cc luminouz toks2008 amarabae
Kemight15, tosyne2much XhosaNostra Tmissy3000, Princedapace, HardMirror, Martinez39, slimbless, lovelygurl, pansophist, JoyTracy, NwaAmaikpe, Queenrabella, 93Miles, Offpoint, Toks2008 larisoft, RoyalBlak007, Jydebauer, ceasare, 2tek, Explorers, MrPresident1, olaideeeedris, queene

Every tribe should try everything possible to protect their cultures n traditions.
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 08, 2019
grin wonders
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by bixton(m): 5:51pm On Jun 08, 2019
SmellingAnus:
Lol... Thank me bro... I just cured you from ignorance...

bride price
noun
noun: brideprice
a sum of money or quantity of goods given to a bride's family by that of the groom in some tribal societies.
"the larger bride price given for a virgin"

https://www.google.com/search?q=brideprice&oq=bri&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0j69i57j69i60l3.1366j1j9&client=ms-android-transsion-tecno-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

dowry
/ˈdaʊ(ə)ri/
Learn to pronounce
noun
an amount of property or money brought by a bride to her husband on their marriage.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dowry+meaning&oq=do&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j69i60l2j69i59l2.1742j0j9&client=ms-android-transsion-tecno-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

This is what happens when you read from only one source.

In my ignorance........
Ask yourself how and in what ways does your definition apply to the Nigerian culture?
Please think in depth
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Ubiudumo(m): 5:53pm On Jun 08, 2019
AmazonTopaz:

marry under the act your marriage is valid without brideprice because it is legal.
Brideprice validity is required under customarily law only.
Yes, I know
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by SmellingAnus(m): 5:58pm On Jun 08, 2019
bixton:

This is what happens when you read from only one source.

In my ignorance........
Ask yourself how and in what ways does your definition apply to the Nigerian culture?
Please think in depth
Lol... I apologise Bro... I actually did wrongly by trying to correct you so that you will not repeat such mistake on another platform... My sincere apologies...

There is a difference between not knowing something and not knowing that you don't know... I am imperfect band can make worse mistakes than the one you made... But to you , it wasn't even a mistake ... Once more , my sincere apologies ... Sorry for the typos

1 Like

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by bixton(m): 6:00pm On Jun 08, 2019
NO MARRIAGE NEED BRIDE PRICE TO SUCCEED

Where did anyone get the information that its needs it to succeed?

*That amount which is paid is a proof that you are legally married the customary way.
*Certain families ask for huge amount but collect only the first note on the bundle.
*Others do some form of waiver.
So whichever, its just a proof that shows the man is able to provide.

So if you do not fall within the first 3 asteriks stated then you're only co-habiting and not married.
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Ryan03(f): 6:03pm On Jun 08, 2019
trapQ:
Is this happening in real life?
Lol, you need to see the things that happen in most homes
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jun 08, 2019
Jokerman:
Bride price cannot be abolished ??

This is what God knows about about two persons who are legally married

Even Adam have to gave up a bone to have the woman
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by pocohantas(f): 6:28pm On Jun 08, 2019
DMerciful:
Paying of bride does not potentially put the woman in marriage in a precarious position rather it gives a sense of pride and value. Imagine marrying a woman for free grin
The whites you're trying to copy, how's successful are their marriages? Their marriages are extremely poor with over 60% failed marriages. Surely that shouldn't be a standard to copy.

Poco,
Not reacting to your comment just quoting you cos it's been long

I don't know what is marrying woman for free. Marriage is marriage and shouldn't put financial strain on either party.

I agree with your first paragraph, it shouldn't put the woman in a bad situation, but some men don't fail to rub it in their wives faces. Yea, long time no see

3 Likes

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by DMerciful(m): 7:23pm On Jun 08, 2019
Men rubbing it in their wives face is about those men. They will rub something else if not that. We cant fix character issues in the world, can we?
If people marry without the payment and ceremonies we do today, soon it will become like US where people can run off, get a priest to wed them and then inform their parents they are married. Regarding financial burden, they can do it low key, its symbolic that its done
pocohantas:

I don't know what is marrying woman for free. Marriage is marriage and shouldn't put financial strain on either party.

I agree with your first paragraph, yes it shouldn't put the woman in a bad situation, but some men don't fail to rub it in their wives faces. Yea, long time no see
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Dizzytee: 7:37pm On Jun 08, 2019
luminouz:

Must u include my name among those the lady slept with? undecided
hahaha. lol.
whats ur name? u finally got my attention, u deserve a 1k recharge card for making me laff
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by luminouz(m): 7:38pm On Jun 08, 2019
Dizzytee:

hahaha. lol.
whats ur name? u finally got my attention, u deserve a 1k recharge card for making me laff
Kunle!
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by Dizzytee: 7:46pm On Jun 08, 2019
luminouz:
Kunle!
inbox me ur numb & collect ur card. if u b alibaba i go pay thousands
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by luminouz(m): 7:47pm On Jun 08, 2019
Dizzytee:

inbox me ur numb & collect ur card. if u b alibaba i go pay thousands
Lol...ok
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by hardbody: 7:48pm On Jun 08, 2019
If you believe Eve was taken from the rib of Adam, then ask God why he chose to make Adam pay the bride price using his ribs. Throughout the bible account, men always paid bride price either by service to in laws or otherwise. So why would it be stopped now. People should only be reasonable about what the bride price should be.
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by picaso313(m): 7:49pm On Jun 08, 2019
some pple are are looking for free wife... u think this is bend down select market abi.. go pick any woman wire am finish waka go pick anoda 1... Even the Holy bible recognizes it than the church wedding..
Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by bukatyne(f): 8:18pm On Jun 08, 2019
liberalchick:
Yes o that’s if she did not marry in the court. If she did then she can be granted divorce in the court. However, if she did just trad, then the courts will have to refer to the customary laws. Scary stuff.

Most of these traditional marriages have rituals embedded in them.

1 Like

Re: Should Bride Price Be Abolished? by bukatyne(f): 8:20pm On Jun 08, 2019
Ryan03:
The beating has reduced cause she have learnt to ignore most of the things he do and also found a teaching job so if he doesnt give her money for anything, she Dont complain

Ok.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

. / Toke Makinwa's First Vlog After The Scandal. / How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.