Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (210) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1359083 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 6:47am On Aug 04, 2019
MyCaseIsDiffere:

Thanks so much, Boss. I doff my hat. Below is an attempt at answering your questions:

1. Although, I noted at the point of entry that I will be staying for 2months, I was stamped in for 6months. I understand it is not logical for a working alien to stay in the US for that long. My host had a health emergency. I had to extend my stay out of concern and friendly obligation. I contacted my immediate boss (HOD) and was granted an extension of leave, provided I continue my classes via Skype. At that time, I had also started the admission processing, so I wrote in to extend my leave on the basis of self development. ( I have a copy of the mail and my HOD's response). Basically because I was on an unpaid leave, my employers did not raise so much dust at the moment. Upon my return though, I danced to the music.

2. My first masters, just like my first degree, is in English Literature. This time, I am going for a master's in theological studies, with a focus in Literature, culture and religion. My first masters was majorly to foster my career path as a Lecturer in a private University owned by a Church. You may think "why the change?". Actually there is no change in career path. For my high school, I attended a Junior Seminary for JSS 1 - JSS 3 and a Rhema College for SS1 - SS3. My first degree is also from a Church owned University, where I was retained after graduation. Interestingly, the long thesis I wrote to earn my undergraduate degree is titled "A Study of Lyrical Poetry In The Book of Psalms". I also currently teach Bible As Literature to undergraduates in the Department of English.

Another important reason why I am going for this second master's in theological study is to use the knowledge acquired in administrating a theological academic school founded by my father and willed to me. My parents established two schools; one primary and one secondary, both are theologically oriented. I am an alumnus of the Secondary School. Both were the first private academic institutions in our local government. My mum currently heads the Secondary School, but age is telling on her, she needs to retire. Although my siblings and I are all members of the board of directors of the Schools, none of my siblings are interested in taking over from her. I have spent the last one year being in active control of our primary school.

3. Yes Nigeria is a highly religious country and one can easily bag a degree in theology here; but that's the problem. No insititution in Nigeria offers theology as an inherently interdisciplinary course. HDS counters extremism by exposing students to contemporaries who have diverse faiths in Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity and Buddhism; I can't find that in any Nigerian institution. I also can't study theology in Nigeria with a focus in Literature, Culture and Religion. I don't think I can find any other theological program so perfectly tailored for me and my interest. I am going to be learning theology in a multi-religious environment with diversity and pluralism. I need this to adequate lead a student body consisting of both Christians, Muslims and traditionalists in my theologically orientation school, in my hometown.

HDS also allows me to cross register up to half of my courses in other universities, such as Boston College, Boston University of theology, MIT, among others; at no extra cost. Thereby giving me a robust learning experience. The most invigorating thing about studying theology at HDS is that I can have dual degrees. This enables me to concurrently study for two degree programs from other Harvard Schools such as Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard Law School, etc. This way, I can acquire the needed knowledge and skill to continue my father's legacy and make him proud, at the same time fulfilling my dreams and passion.

Pardon my long story. I know I can't go before the VO to spill this Kain epistle. I will certainly have it condensed. Where do I need to add and where do I need to subtract? Thanks for your gentle reproof.

Please do not go to your visa interview with anything you've said here - you will be denied.

You must understand that by law, visas like B1/B2 and F1 are NOT dual intent visas. That means that you must prove that you have something outside the US that will compel you to return on completion of your studies.

1. You misused your visa. You did not mention your purpose for applying for a visa, you told CBP you would only stay for 2 months but ended up staying for 5 months. That you "had to extend my stay out of concern and friendly obligation" because of your hosts' medical emergency is not a logical excuse. Your host could easily pay for a nurse aide. This excuse will not fly at your interview. Frankly its also clear that this excuse is a lie...
- You claimed to have extended your stay as a result of your hosts' medical emergency - while at the same time admitting that you were processing admission to a masters program in the US. When you contacted your employer to request permission to extend your stay, you claimed you wanted to do this on the basis of "self development". Which is it? self development or your hosts' "medical emergency"? If you present the correspondence between you and your employer at your interview, what do you think the VO will think about your lying about your reason for spending 5 months in the US?

This is one reason the unecessary highfalutin noise about "god" and "grace" nauseates me. It's all a fraud. You have no problem lying to us, the VO and your employer... even one run by a church.

2. As far as the VO is concerned, staying 5 months simply points to one thing - you do not consider your present job important enough to return to. What ties you to your home country then?

3. CBP stamps almost everyone in for 6 months, that does not mean you should stay in the US for 6 months. Please do not state this at your interview.

4. You admit that your MA in theology is not meant to further your career, neither is it meant to change your career path. You do not need a theological degree to run a theological school.

5. What HDS helps you accomplish is of no value to your visa interview, especially when churches own universities in Nigeria already.

Here is the point... your 5 month stay and the fact that you are going for essentially the same degree you already have paints you as someone simply using the school route to emigrate from Nigeria. Why have you not applied for the phd program? That would have made your case much easier.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by freshStarz: 6:50am On Aug 04, 2019
Good morning
My passport will expire in December 2020.
Can I go ahead and use it to apply for a Spring 2020 or should I get a new one pls
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 7:21am On Aug 04, 2019
charliejose:
Hello guys, I am about applying for a VISA interview because my school recently issued my i-20
-I was awarded an assistantship really late - Though they were kind enough to provide me with my SEVİS number and school code. However, my school orientation is on the 20th, and school resumes on the 26th. Is it possible to request for an expedited date with the award letter and admission letter showing start date?

How long does it take to get a reply when one requests for an expedited date?

Currently, earliest date in Lagos is on the 30th of September, while in Abuja, it's on the 19th of August. Is it possible to change back to Lagos after picking Abuja should an earlier date pop up in Lagos, and is it possible for earlier dates to come up?

I look forward to your responses. Thank you.

Hope you've picked 19th of August??

As far as it is before your resumption date it is fine.

There is no guarantee that you'll be granted an emergency request. So stick to Abuja's date.
You'll likely see an earlier date for Abuja as the fall window is winding up.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kayzee2374(m): 7:41am On Aug 04, 2019
Hello everyone..m knew in this group an I will like to make more enquiries about securing a graduate assistantship in usa for engineering.those who had the experience should please help a soul..an also if m opportune to get a whatsapp link of this group,will definitely appreciate that..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheNoble007(m): 7:48am On Aug 04, 2019
Brown2Green:

Hope you've picked 19th of August??

As far as it is before your resumption date it is fine.

There is no guarantee that you'll be granted an emergency request. So stick to Abuja's date.
You'll likely see an earlier date for Abuja as the fall window is winding up.

I think the 19th of August is a mistake... I believe he meant to write 29th of August... That's what was there yesterday... I have been on the portal because I am planning to reschedule... Lol
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by martinz1: 8:37am On Aug 04, 2019
Please how can one get to lagos consulates office from obalende, what's the distance like?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:56am On Aug 04, 2019
Oasishavenng:

Thank you ma'am, planned on using the shuttle. what I don't know is if i will have to check in my luggage at the second airport again.

If i remember clearly USA is one of those countries that at your first POE you must collect your luggage and then recheck your bag. Don't think your bags are sent directly to final destination for interconnecting flights in the US

So. .... when you check in at first . Ask if your luggage is been checked to its final destination and please come back to update us so others can be informed

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pepperoni001: 9:45am On Aug 04, 2019
They do

Oasishavenng:
Congratulations to all those who were recently approved. Enjoy Trump land.
To those who were delayed, we keep pushing and we get it.

Those seeking PTA, you can check stanbic ibtc, they don't require return ticket like gtb.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 10:10am On Aug 04, 2019
martinz1:
Please how can one get to lagos consulates office from obalende, what's the distance like?

Just take a tricycle going to Adeola Odeku, it's #100 and tell the driver you're stopping at the consulate, you just cross to the other side and viola, you're there. It's not that far, average duration of 15mins

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 10:12am On Aug 04, 2019
Pepperoni001:
They do

I think you should go to the nearest branch to you to make enquiries, even GTB sef, they were like they require return ticket, I told them I was on a student visa and that my program is more than one year and return ticket is not required, he made enquiries with his colleague and said I should come when it's around 12days abi 14days to my departure.

Just try to explain to them.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by shoyoyebiodun(m): 10:38am On Aug 04, 2019
Good morning house i will like to know if a previous canadian visa denial can lead to delay for f1 visa

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 11:19am On Aug 04, 2019
shoyoyebiodun:
Good morning house i will like to know if a previous canadian visa denial can lead to delay for f1 visa

depends on why you were refused a Canadian visa because they have access to your Canada visa application.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by shoyoyebiodun(m): 11:27am On Aug 04, 2019
Time2win:

depends on why you were refused a Canadian visa because they have access to your Canada visa application.
thanks bro was denied on financial status as then
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dumbiri99(f): 11:57am On Aug 04, 2019
Flaame:
Everyone's telling you to leave that drug now you no go hear am now
Have you traveled to the US before? I'd rather hear from people who have passed through poe
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dumbiri99(f): 12:01pm On Aug 04, 2019
shoyoyebiodun:
Well it might cos they have access to it. But if you have a strong usa application, like funding, travel history, good job and salary, excellent proposed transcript you will be approved
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dumbiri99(f): 12:07pm On Aug 04, 2019
Scholastica16:

So let us analyze it. If you are taking anti-malarial drugs because you are about to leave a malaria-prone area that is fine, but how much do you need? You only need the dosage needed to combat the malaria once or at least twice. You are coming to the US where Malaria is not a thing.

Ok, what about paracetamol? You need it for fevers and pains. So let us say you will need it more than once or twice. How many times? You can have enough to last you for a year but remember that drug has an expiry date. So if you have 15 packs of paracetamol, how long are you prognosticating you will be taking it for bearing in mind it has an expiry date? 3 years?

As you can see, you are carrying too much of it that will raise flags that you have intentions to sell it when you get here. Nobody will listen to your justifications. That is the danger. I even suspect your friend that is asking you for this amount wants to sell it. So be wise.

I travelled with Panadol and Anti-malaria drugs
so those are fine. Even your medications for HBP is fine. But the quantity is the issue.
Did you put the medicines in your hand luggage or check-in luggage and were you asked any questions about them.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dumbiri99(f): 12:18pm On Aug 04, 2019
charliejose:
Hello guys, I am about applying for a VISA interview because my school recently issued my i-20
-I was awarded an assistantship really late - Though they were kind enough to provide me with my SEVİS number and school code. However, my school orientation is on the 20th, and school resumes on the 26th. Is it possible to request for an expedited date with the award letter and admission letter showing start date?

How long does it take to get a reply when one requests for an expedited date?

Currently, earliest date in Lagos is on the 30th of September, while in Abuja, it's on the 19th of August. Is it possible to change back to Lagos after picking Abuja should an earlier date pop up in Lagos, and is it possible for earlier dates to come up?

I look forward to your responses. Thank you.

Book abuja and try to get an expedited appointment, if it is rejected, I would advise you not to go for the interview cos the probability of being approved one day before your resumption date is like 5% so you can defer to spring but you can try if you want cos life is about trying.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dwilliams707: 12:38pm On Aug 04, 2019
dumbiri99:

Have you traveled to the US before? I'd rather hear from people who have passed through poe

Irrespective of our status,we’re all here to assist if you got an idea,I’m sure he/she was so passionate abt ur case hence that response..you need help and still sounds dictating in a rude tone..that’s not cool.

18 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:52pm On Aug 04, 2019
dumbiri99:

Did you put the medicines in your hand luggage or check-in luggage and were you asked any questions about them.

Paradol and anti malaria is absolutely fine.... but with Everything , moderation is key. If you carry small quantity it is fine, the larger the quantity of medication the more the red flag and extra scrutiny. Be wise, we have advised you enough on this topic

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ourown(m): 1:08pm On Aug 04, 2019
Good day guys.

Can anyone please point me to a page or a thread where I'd see the steps to get started with my application? I am a biochemistry graduate with GP 3.8/5 currently serving with NYSC.

Please point me in the right direction. Thanks, God bless.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Johnolukolade(m): 1:25pm On Aug 04, 2019
dumbiri99:

If you like, carry an entire pharmaceutical company through the POE.. Over 70% of your posts here are disrespectful! Watch the way you address people.

Have a great day.

22 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by juliouze: 1:34pm On Aug 04, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

Good day, please I'll like to know, do American schools offer admission for January, like other countries?

Most of the ones I've checked only have fall admission, and to the best of my knowledge, fall is around September, hence I'll like to know, is it a general issue with them, not to have January admission?
Yes sir/ma alot of schools in US offer admission for spring (January ) .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by juliouze: 1:37pm On Aug 04, 2019
oluezekiel:
And be prepared for the weather too. It's always above 105°C during the day should you decide to take a walk around the city.

Lmao 105 Celsius bitibawo, you won't survive that na.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by juliouze: 1:40pm On Aug 04, 2019
Flaame:
Everyone's telling you to leave that drug now you no go hear am now
grin grin please leave it oo
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by juliouze: 1:44pm On Aug 04, 2019
Johnolukolade:

If you like, carry an entire pharmaceutical company through the POE.. Over 70% of your posts here are disrespectful! Watch the way you address people.

Have a great day.
Lmao a whole pharmaceutical company grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sontoly: 2:01pm On Aug 04, 2019
My Good people, what type of trip is better for an F1 student visa, round or one way trip. Please needs an immediate answer.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 04, 2019
martinz1:

From obalende Just board a keke heading to Eko hotel or Adeola odekun, alight at Checking point, then just cross to the other side of the road & walk into the consulate.

PS: 1. it's a distance of less than 15-20 mins
2. checking point b/stop is before bonny camp and it is just immediately you get down from the bridge

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by babyswae(f): 2:21pm On Aug 04, 2019
Hello everyone!
I’m starting my masters degree at San Francisco State University this fall. I’ll be in San Francisco, California on the 12th of this month, that’s less than 9 days. But finding an apartment has been really really hard.
I'm still looking for residency near sfsu or at a commutable distance like in Oakland, Pittsburg, Daly City, etc.
PLEASE, please send me a message/connect/ link me if you need a roommate or knows someone who does.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:23pm On Aug 04, 2019
sontoly:
My Good people, what type of trip is better for an F1 student visa, round or one way trip. Please needs an immediate answer.

Use the search button... this topic had been discussed many times

If the student program is over 1 year then one way is fine
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 2:35pm On Aug 04, 2019
babyswae:
Hello everyone!
I’m starting my masters degree at San Francisco State University this fall. I’ll be in San Francisco, California on the 12th of this month, that’s less than 9 days. But finding an apartment has been really really hard.
I'm still looking for residency near sfsu or at a commutable distance like in Oakland, Pittsburg, Daly City, etc.
PLEASE, please send me a message/connect/ link me if you need a roommate or knows someone who does.

Look for your school on Facebook and try to connect.
Lots of schools have groups on Facebook for this purpose.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by calculator123(m): 2:51pm On Aug 04, 2019
Credah:
Thank you... but do you have names of schools that gives full funding for PhD in computer Engineering.
Please do a PhD because you have interest for research not because someone advised you to or because of funding.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 3:14pm On Aug 04, 2019
Credah:
Thank you... but do you have names of schools that gives full funding for PhD in computer Engineering.

Mail schools .
Carry out personal research don't rely on responses from here.
No matter what anyone says, funds is priority.
Passion without funds is Nothing.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.