Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (208) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1363238 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 10:06am On Aug 03, 2019
Has anyone here been able to reshedule a flight after booking
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DavidhumeNO: 10:52am On Aug 03, 2019
Fellow 'APers' we need to be strong, it is on this same thread we've seen all sorts of duration. Don't give yourself any unnecessary headache, they will give us.
Swerveking14:
I swear....this is the most frustrating time of my life

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Rabato: 10:56am On Aug 03, 2019
Good day house

A GPA that is 3.79 on the scale of 5.0, will it be up to 3.0 on the scale of 4.0?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 11:06am On Aug 03, 2019
Rabato:
Good day house

A GPA that is 3.79 on the scale of 5.0, will it be up to 3.0 on the scale of 4.0?

Yes. Even way above 3.0

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Rabato: 11:13am On Aug 03, 2019
[quote author=nelem post=80894869]

Yes. Even way above 3.0[/quote

Ope o!thank you nelem. Make we yarn
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Credah(f): 11:27am On Aug 03, 2019
Thank you... but do you have names of schools that gives full funding for PhD in computer Engineering.
Brown2Green:

Focus on PhD if you want full funding.
For engineering Msc, Full Funding is like 2% in the US.
Else look at CS.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Bassmana: 11:29am On Aug 03, 2019
Yes, it should be. But to be sure, you may wanna use unofficial Wes GPA calculator. You can search via Google.
Rabato:
Good day house

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 03, 2019
Delaztyx:
Hello everyone, to Jesus be my glory..lol...I finally have breathed a sigh of rest after being on AP for 38days..I had my interview on the 21st of June 2019, Status updated on 25th July 2019, Visa issued 29th July 2019. This has been the longest wait of my life people, I was floating and I thought out everything and anything possible, but in the end, it ended in praise.

Deficit on I-20 form is $5k
Full Grad Assistanship with stipend 16k
Personal funding $5.5k
Uncles SOA $44k.

My interview goes thus;
White lady, window 5, Abuja Embassy.

Me: Good morning.
VO: Good morning, pass me your i20 and passport.
Me: passed it.
VO: why are you going to the US?
Me: I'm going for my masters degree in community Health and preventive medicine at the Minnesota state university,Mankato.
VO: How did you learn about MNSU?
Me: I carried out a personal research about MNSU after I heard about the school at an Educational fair in Lagos and from an alumni of the school and their entry requirements matched my profile.

Next VO gave me a shocker..lol

VO:where is this your acquaintance?
Me: He got a job and is working in the US now after his program....I was like bobo who send you talk that one...
VO: I see...shaking her head..and typing furiously (in my mind I was like I dor enter one chance).
VO: Did u apply to other schools?
Me: I applied to two others: Tuskegee Uni, Alabama, Ohio state Uni, Columbus.
VO: How many admits?
ME: One from Tuskegee Uni.
VO: Did you write GRE?
ME: No, I wrote TOEFL.
VO: what was your score?
Me: 84
VO: I can see you have an assistanship, can I see a proof?
ME: Passes email proof.
VO: she reads out my duties and then said how are going to be tutoring with a poor TOEFL score ?we dont accept such scores here.What we accept here is 90 100 and above..( In my mind, I was like my fathers peepo)...lol
ME:I will be tutoring biology specifically and conducting workshops at the CAS.
VO: what will this course do for you?
Me: A masters degree in comm health from a recognised institution like MNSU in the US will undoubtedly increase my chances of being promoted to the Head position in the public health department of my organisation when I come back to Nigeria.Also, having being equipped with an indept knowledge in public health and with recent epidemiological tools/methodology, I will be able to secure gainful employment in Govt health institutions ( Federal or state) and NGO'S ( like the Renowed Benjamin Franklin Foundation) providing comprehensive Health care Services to reduce the health burden in epidemic and epidemic-prone communities in Nigeria.
VO: Are u married?
ME: No, I am single.
VO: who will take care the deficit?
ME: I have a graduate assistanship with full tuition waiver up to 9 credits and My uncle is cathering for the deficit. I also have my personal savings too.
VO: Can I see your statement??
Me Passed it and she perused it thoroughly.
VO:What does your uncle do?
Me: He owns a Block producing factory and into transportation.
VO:Can I see your uncles statement.
ME:Passed it.
VO: She kept typing...and returned my I-20 and my statement and then gave me the white paper and said Congratulations, I will be approving your Visa but I will have to place you on AP to verify your documents, if found to be fraudulent, u will be banned.Do u wish to withdraw it?
Me: No.
She then was talking about having my I-20 at POE, by then I don share the grace.lol...

Special Thanks to Brown2green, shawarma(the queen whose epistles I love to read) fairheart, Time2win, Lagosismyhome etal for your contributions on NL platform. Also to those who were a source of encouragement to me through the waiting times..Justabama, Arobim94, acebolted, barrlabs975.etal...God bless you all and your new journeys.God bless nairaland

nice info

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Bassmana: 11:32am On Aug 03, 2019
There are tons of schools that give full funding for you intending program. However, schools that fit Mr. A's profile may not be suitable for Mrs. B's profile. So, you may need to do a comprehensive search and note schools that are suitable for your profile. Usnews.com, gradcafe, quora.com will be good starting points
Credah:
Thank you... but do you have names of schools that gives full funding for PhD in computer Engineering.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 03, 2019
Credah:

Pls be sure you really want to do a PhD, not because of full funding but because you have passion for research. Funding for MS Engineering isn't easy, but I'd suggest you look at schools like Louisiana State University (and other "state universities"wink. Most importantly, always reach out to the Program Coordinators and enquire about assistantships available for MS students.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ajibade105(m): 1:31pm On Aug 03, 2019
Asking for a friend; do you guys know any cheap flight website? Please, any suggestion will be appreciated...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by victree007(m): 1:46pm On Aug 03, 2019
Ajibade105:
Asking for a friend; do you guys know any cheap flight website? Please, any suggestion will be appreciated...
I think skyscanner.com can be helpful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 2:03pm On Aug 03, 2019
Ajibade105:

use expedia.com or studentuniverse

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 2:20pm On Aug 03, 2019
Credah:

Once you get admitted for a Doctorate program, you'll most likely be automatically funded.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by omoobaadeNGR: 2:26pm On Aug 03, 2019
Brown2Green:

Once you get admitted for a Doctorate program, you'll most likely be automatically funded.
Not always so. Michigan Tech. University is very stingy, they normally start funding you after a semester or two even at PhD level.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stanavos: 2:28pm On Aug 03, 2019
When is this Administrative processing going to end? I was placed on AP since 23rd July. I have 23 days to resume class.My passport status has also changed from "passport still with the embassy" to "There is no status update for the passport number submitted" since 1st August. Please house, what does the new status mean?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Oasishavenng: 2:33pm On Aug 03, 2019
Stanavos:
When is this Administrative processing going to end? I was placed on AP since 23rd July. I have 23 days to resume class.My passport status has also changed from "passport still with the embassy" to "There is no status update for the passport number submitted" since 1st August. Please house, what does the new status mean?

Check your status through ceac.state.gov with your ds-160 number. Pele.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 2:35pm On Aug 03, 2019
Stanavos:

They are still working on it. so many passed through same stage, some lasted two months and at the end it turned to issued and they got their passport. just remove your mind from it to avoid over thinking, I know its not easy being on AP. they are also aware that school is resuming soon, just relax cos only them know what they are checking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Felizz: 2:54pm On Aug 03, 2019
Hello houuse,
Plsease advice me how i cant get early date in abuja embassy , the date am seeing now is thesame date with the date of my resumption which is 28th of august and i cant pick it self becoz am yet to pay my visa fee which am gonna do on monday.
What can i do to get early date.
Kindly advice pls.
I was dined yesterday at abuja embassy again for not filling my secondary school education in my ds 160 that was what visa officer said. And she said i should re apply again
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Yampotatocarrot(m): 3:38pm On Aug 03, 2019
Oasishavenng:

Check your status through ceac.state.gov with your ds-160 number. Pele.

Good day, please I'll like to know, do American schools offer admission for January, like other countries?

Most of the ones I've checked only have fall admission, and to the best of my knowledge, fall is around September, hence I'll like to know, is it a general issue with them, not to have January admission?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Miscellaneous(m): 3:58pm On Aug 03, 2019
UzzyBreeze:
Visa Approved

School- Georgia Southern University
Course- MS Civil and Construction Engineering
Funding- Full Tuition waiver+ stipend
Deficit- $9k

What do u mean by deficit? Tuition waiver + stipends didn't cover everything? Im applying from civil too... I would appreciate a chat with u
Did u get a supervisor first?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Highteewzy: 4:22pm On Aug 03, 2019
https:///EXdYpkNhCq3E6zkZhU4q0N
Join the WhatsApp group
Felizz:
Hello houuse,
Plsease advice me how i cant get early date in abuja embassy , the date am seeing now is thesame date with the date of my resumption which is 28th of august and i cant pick it self becoz am yet to pay my visa fee which am gonna do on monday.
What can i do to get early date.
Kindly advice pls.
I was dined yesterday at abuja embassy again for not filling my secondary school education in my ds 160 that was what visa officer said. And she said i should re apply again
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by olasijiayo: 5:07pm On Aug 03, 2019
there is little or no interview info for undergraduate F1 on this forum #sad

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by amb001: 5:09pm On Aug 03, 2019
My flight itinery is abj-istanbul-jfk-newark-greenville, south Carolina.
1. Will the change in airport from JFK to Newark be handled by the airline?
2. Is there a risk in transiting through JFK?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 03, 2019
olasijiayo:

You can say that again bro.... So so sad
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by elhadji19: 5:32pm On Aug 03, 2019
amb001:
My flight itinery is abj-istanbul-jfk-newark-greenville, south Carolina.
1. Will the change in airport from JFK to Newark be handled by the airline?
2. Is there a risk in transiting through JFK?

Istanbul Ataturk airport is a very beautiful airport, make sure u take some pictures ooooo

Possibly by domestic airlines not really sure.

There is no risk passing through JFK as long as u answer correctly those simple questions from the CBP. Your i-20 and passport u should be with u . Don't assist anyone u don't know with luggages oooo. U have many stop over, many bags and luggages might make the journey more stress.

Safe journey

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 03, 2019
olasijiayo:

ayosamlove:

You can say that again bro.... So so sad

1. Be smart and post your questions or proposed transcript for review here.
2. Go to EducationUSA sessions at the Lagos Consulate.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by amb001: 5:57pm On Aug 03, 2019
elhadji19:

Istanbul Ataturk airport is a very beautiful airport, make sure u take some pictures ooooo

Possibly by domestic airlines not really sure.

There is no risk passing through JFK as long as u answer correctly those simple questions from the CBP. Your i-20 and passport u should be with u . Don't assist anyone u don't know with luggages oooo. U have many stop over, many bags and luggages might make the journey more stress.

Safe journey

Baba, examples of the simple questions biko? grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheNoble007(m): 6:15pm On Aug 03, 2019
Brown2Green:

This is not very true.. There are many students on self funds pursuing a PhD even in very top schools.. Some Chinese and Indians don't care as far as they can get loan or support to study in America. For many of them, US is their heaven on earth. Please go to gradcafe and see!!

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 6:21pm On Aug 03, 2019
TheNoble007:

This is not very true.. There are many students on self funds pursuing a PhD even in very top schools.. Some Chinese and Indians don't care as far as they can get loan or support to study in America. For many of them, US is their heaven on earth. Please go to gradcafe and see!!

yeah, I even have like 5 unfunded PhD admit. It's doesn't always come with funding.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by elhadji19: 6:41pm On Aug 03, 2019
Time2win:

yeah, I even have like 5 unfunded PhD admit. It's doesno't always come with funding.

Most people always think, PhD admissions must come with funding. I had 3 to 4 PhD admissions without funding too ooo.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by elhadji19: 6:45pm On Aug 03, 2019
amb001:

Baba, examples of the simple questions biko? grin

Do u have family in USA?
Which state is u school located?
Have u paid ur tuition fees?
Are u a first timer in USA or a returning student?
Do u have ticket to ur final destination?
Are u visiting or coming as a student?

The questions go on like that.....most CBP should be ok with 2 or 3 questions...

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.