Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,558 members, 7,820,017 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (235) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1362721 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 2:19am On Aug 19, 2019
Pharmz:

*WHY.... .. college ? is different from WHAT are you going to do ?

Remember say na English and amurika culture you wan go study ooo
Hmm, it's quite clear he didn't prepare for his interview at all...... It's written everywhere
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 2:31am On Aug 19, 2019
DammyNwodo1999:
I want to use this medium to appreciate all the Gurus in this group. My F1 Visa was denied in Abuja 2days ago.
This is my TRANSCRIPT

VO- pass me your passport and 120
Me- Did as he said
VO- Why ....... college?
Me- Am going to further my studies in English and America culture.
VO- How many schools did you apply to?
ME- Honestly, I applied to only one college in America
VO- who is sponsoring you?
ME- My Mum is sponsoring you.
VO- What does your mother do?
ME- She has worked as a civil servant for more than 30years, She’s currently the Director of bla bla bla
VO- Have you travelled out before
ME- No

Ok sorry you have been found ineligible for a visa but you can reapply. Bla bla bla

I just kukuma collected my blue paper and disappeared. Am hoping to reapply soon. What are my chances.
It's quite obvious you made no preparation for your interview...... Your responses were so off,shallow,and careless

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 5:23am On Aug 19, 2019
DammyNwodo1999:

I graduated from high school last year 2018, so am going for a 20 months program in America to study English and American Culture, This program will enable to secure the post of an administrative assistant upon my return and international exposure will be a valuable asset upon my return. ( Am 20 years old, am married with a daughter and work as a Clerk in an Education Board)

This is silly. How does a diploma in American culture help you get a job as an administrative assistant in Nigeria where >50% of youths are essentially jobless? You think you're going to convince anyone with that obvious lie?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 5:31am On Aug 19, 2019
Blackboydre:
Hey guys I eed formal advice and information too. Cause I'm in a delema.

1st. My i-20 has not gotten to me yet. And my school is resuming on the 21st of this month. I don't know if I can go to the POE with a scanned copy? Please I need advice on this.

2nd. I've not booked my ticket cause my sponsor has been saying different things of recent. I believe it's all trials and tribulations atm. But at the same time I feel after everything I might need to request for an arrival extension from my school. Cause I might travel later than the official classes resumption.
Please how do I go about this?

These things I'm stating in text rn is far more painful than it appears but I don't know how to even narrate everything here. I need your help guys, I'll be waiting.

I am sorry for not posting and giving appreciation to people who helped with their advice and info. Of course there's shawarma (idk if I got the spelling right), Lagosismyhome, the king to queen shawarma grin ( sorry, I can't remember your handle at the moment) and also lots and loads of people who posted their transcripts and gave their advice to others in need and I tapped into them and created my own imaginary experience and confidence. I apologise for not giving official individual credit but I know you all and am praying for God's grace on your lives for the good you are continually doing.

Ps: I wrote my transcript, but it didn't reflect on the forum. I'll re write again.

Only the original, ink-signed copy of your I-20 is acceptable at the port of entry. It is surprising that your school has not sent one to you knowing full well you resume on the 21st, less than 3 days away. You need to have your school send this to you ASAP and also extend your resumption date.

If you have not booked your ticket yet, chances are you will get one at a highly inflated price and you will need to fly out latest the night of the 20th to make the 21st resumption date. It seems to me that you do not have sufficient funds to travel or school in the US and the sponsor you claimed at your interview is not willing to sponsor you. You need to put all emotions aside and critically consider whether you want to defer your admission to spring until you have sorted out your financial issues.

8 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 5:42am On Aug 19, 2019
Monykviv:
Good morning all. My name is Vivian, I'm new here. Someone recommended this page to me. I must say Thanks to all the members and admin for such a page. Its really very helpful. My F1 interview date is on 22nd of August that's next week Thursday in abuja. This is my second interview. I was previously denied in Lagos on 22nd of June. My school resumes on 26th of August.. Its my second degree I'm going for. Course given is pre-medicine (biology). My aunt is my sponsor. She's a nurse in Maryland, USA. She is the one that recommended the school (Salisbury university). In my first interview, there was a mistake in my i20 form. Instead of pre med, school wrote peace studies, I thought it won't matter since I have the admission letter with me and it took so long for the i20 form to reach me, but it did. And I have reached out to the school and they sent another i20 form. This time around putting only biology and no pre-medicine as it is, in my admission letter. So I filled ds 160 with only biology and plan to explain its pre-medicine when I go. They also asked if I did micro biology in my first degree and why the switch... Please can anyone kindly direct me this time around. Also I see a lot of answers on "how did you hear about the school".. Almost everyone is saying from research, recommended by a boss or alumni etc.. Answering that is my aunt that recommended it, is it a unprofessional and not a good response please?? And most answers in the transcripts i read reply No when asked if they have family abroad.. I don't have my immediate family there but I have my aunt, an uncle and cousins.. Is that a yes or no please... I really prefer to do a second degree in medicine than do masters in industrial chemistry. Please I will appreciate the guidance.. Thanks in advance.

You really haven't thought this through at all.

1. If you say you are going for pre-medicine in the US, chances are high that you will be denied - why? Because no VO will believe that you wish to study medicine in the US and return to Nigeria.

2. Medicine is HIGHLY competitive as a degree in the US. Most schools in the US only grant admissions to US citizens and permanent residents. At best, you may find a school or two that will put you on a waiting list - if you score incredibly high on the MCAT, but your chances of getting in are low. Almost all medical students require loans for medical school, you most likely will not be able to qualify for those loans, so how do you intend to fund a medical program?

That being said, ask your school to defer your resumption date, likely they will need to send you a new I-20 reflecting the new date before your interview on the 22nd. I believe you can go with a copy to your interview. Simply be truthful at your interview and hope for the best.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 5:51am On Aug 19, 2019
TheNoble007:
Please house, I am in need of help.. I will be flying to New York on the 23rd of August, that is on Friday, and I am seriously in need of someone in New York who can accommodate me for a very short while before I get my own accommodation.. I really need a kind soul to help me on this matter... Any kind soul can quote me or pm me... Thank you and God bless!

Unless you plan to help cover bills you will incur during your "very short" stay and food, you are better off getting a hotel or air bnb. This is why i always emphasize that folks plan well in advance.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 5:57am On Aug 19, 2019
Brown2Green:

It should be ok.
Make the print out in HD if possible.

No its not. Please read the rules and do not give out wrong advice.

The student must have their original Form I-20 to study in the United States. Given the potential for fraud, a scanned or photocopied Form I-20 is not acceptable. SEVP asks DSOs not to send scanned Forms I-20 to students.

Sources - https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/2014/11/can-a-dso-send-scanned-forms-i-20-to-students

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:24am On Aug 19, 2019
Brown2Green:

It should be ok.
Make the print out in HD if possible.

Not allowed .... rules are meant to be followed

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 7:34am On Aug 19, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Not if you're Nigerian and you've prayed hard apparently.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 7:37am On Aug 19, 2019
martinz1:

My colleague in university he finished with 2.2 in geology, bsc, he just finished his associates degreein texas, he got his visa 2016, so how come u say someone with bsc cant go for associates

things has changed since 2016. it's not impossible but it's a no to me, very hard to get visa with if you already have a BSc. In all, it boils down to how you were able to convince the V.O on why you are going to a community college

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by richforever1: 7:54am On Aug 19, 2019
TWoods:

Only the original, ink-signed copy of your I-20 is acceptable at the port of entry. It is surprising that your school has not sent one to you knowing full well you resume on the 21st, less than 3 days away. You need to have your school send this to you ASAP and also extend your resumption date.

If you have not booked your ticket yet, chances are you will get one at a highly inflated price and you will need to fly out latest the night of the 20th to make the 21st resumption date. It seems to me that you do not have sufficient funds to travel or school in the US and the sponsor you claimed at your interview is not willing to sponsor you. You need to put all emotions aside and critically consider whether you want to defer your admission to spring until you have sorted out your financial issues.
greetings to you sir please I need some inquiries on this issue if a visa is gotten for spring admission and the admission is then deferred for summer resumption ,is another visa interview needed or just the updated I-20? To travel

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by martinz1: 8:06am On Aug 19, 2019
richforever1:
greetings to you sir please I need some inquiries on this issue if a visa is gotten for spring admission and the admission is then deferred for summer resumption ,is another visa interview needed or just the updated I-20? To travel
If you have gotten visa, you don't need another visa interview, it's just an update of i20 that's is necessary,
From my own point of view,

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 8:10am On Aug 19, 2019
richforever1:

You would not need another interview, as long as you are going to the same school and program. But you must let your DSO know that you already got your F1 visa stamp when you request for an updated I-20. But don't be surprised if the US chooses to remove this option for Nigerians if they feel so many are starting to abuse it.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by richforever1: 8:26am On Aug 19, 2019
Thank you
TWoods:

You would not need another interview, as long as you are going to the same school and program. But you must let your DSO know that you already got your F1 visa stamp when you request for an updated I-20. But don't be surprised if the US chooses to remove this option for Nigerians if they feel so many are starting to abuse it.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by richforever1: 8:26am On Aug 19, 2019
Thanks
martinz1:

If you have gotten visa, you don't need another visa interview, it's just an update of i20 that's is necessary,
From my own pocket of view,
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by BuBuWonder1: 8:51am On Aug 19, 2019
Good morning guys. Anyone on AP with an update? �
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:20am On Aug 19, 2019
TWoods:

sadly i noticed a lot not all, but a lot of Nigerian seems to forget that rules are meant to be followed .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by chibertha(f): 9:24am On Aug 19, 2019
That's TWoods always saying it the way it is

TWoods:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 10:11am On Aug 19, 2019
LagosismyHome:

TWoods:

No its not. Please read the rules and do not give out wrong advice.

The student must have their original Form I-20 to study in the United States. Given the potential for fraud, a scanned or photocopied Form I-20 is not acceptable. SEVP asks DSOs not to send scanned Forms I-20 to students.

Sources - https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/2014/11/can-a-dso-send-scanned-forms-i-20-to-students

I was actually surprised he had gone for the interview already and got approved with a scanned copy.

Even going to the embassy with scanned copy is not.allowed.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by popeejosh: 10:36am On Aug 19, 2019
snip09:
Visa Approved Transcript,
8am Lagos Consulate 25th July, my 1st time.
Window 4- slim white v.o
The V.O listened to all I said while I articulated well, didn’t care about the people and wasn’t slow with my responses and wasn’t too fast as not to sound like a rehearsed speech.
Me:Good morning ma and how was your night?
V.O:It was great, thanks, pass me your passport
I did
V.O: And your i20 and sevis payment receipt
I passed it (she began typing)
After she did for a while, she looked at me and asked
V.O:Where in the us are you going?
I’m going to the us to pursue my masters degree in polymer and coating technology at eastern michigan university Ypsilanti, michigan with a concentration in coating formulation and optimization.
V.O:Why this course
This degree will allow me take leading and challenging roles in the research and product development of my organization on my arrival as I have a study leave and upon subsequent years, will be able to take the leading roles in top multinationals like unilever, promasidor. I’m sure you will agree with me that almost all the manufacturing organizations uses polymer as their packaging materials, also this degree will allow me work on enhancing the shelf life of manufactured product, she cuts me off
V.O:What courses will you be taking
I listed few, I stopped, she gave me the sign of continue, so I did
V.O:How many schools did you apply to
I applied to 3 schools ma
V.O:Name them
I applied to eastern Michigan university, Ypsilanti, Michigan, I applied to depaul university, Illinois Chicago and south Dakota school of mines and tech, (was about telling her the ones that accepted me and refused me so she cuts me off and asked me how many admitted me so I just continued) I was admitted to depauls university and EMU but haven’t finalized my application to SDSMT. While typing, she now looked at me and asked
V.O:So you didn’t pay your application fee to SDSMT
No ma, I did but haven’t finalized my application with them
V.O:How did you hear about the school
Through a lecturer of mine in the university, he spoke highly of the school in terms of the quality of research the students are exposed to, when it was time to make a decision, I used mastersportal.com and usnews.com to search the internet and I discovered EMU was among the few schools offering polymer and coating technology for there msc degree.
V.O:What’s the major of the course, I didn’t understand at first so she explained
I answered it’s under college of technology
V.O:So why this school
Apart from the fact its among the few schools in the us offering this joint course, I was interested in the ongoing research by Prof Mannari which is into coating design, optimization, formulation and characterization, it aligns perfectly with my research interest, I see it as a career progression to my published undergraduate research journal where I worked on optimization of oil extraction from************* design of experiment, I have the copy of the journal here ma. Apart from that, Michigan is home to over 370 research and development tech centers, the most in the US, with this I will have a first class practical experience in my field, also the syllabus is streamlined in such a way that (she cuts me off)
V.O:So you said its one of the few schools offering the course
Yes ma
V.O:Name the other schools
I wasn’t expecting this question but since its what I had done my research on and carefully selected my school, I answered and listed a school in California lastly
V.O:Why are you not attending the school in California
As I said earlier, I was interested in the ongoing research by prof Mannari which ( she cuts me off)
V.O:Did you write any standard test
Yes ma, I wrote the pearson test of English (pte) and I was waived from writing the GRE due to my undergraduate degree in chemical engineering and current work exp as a quality control analyst
V.O:When did you graduate
I answered, then she asked me again, then I answered saying the same thing looking into her eyes while she was typing and probably wanted to confirm
V.O:Where
Ladoke akintola university of tech, ogbomoso
V.O:So what have you been since graduation
I went for the mandatory (nysc) in full and after I got a job at ****, then I got another job at ***** and I got a job at ***** till date where I currently work as a quality control analyst and my job duties includes ********, I didn’t finish them she cuts me off
V.O:Who will be sponsoring you
My paternal uncle will be sponsoring me, he (she cuts me off)
V.O:What does he do
He is into real estates and he has a private consulting firm in the uk where he consults for organizations
V.O:What’s his name
I answered
V.O:Where is he right now
He is in the uk
V.O:Is he a uk citizen
No ma, hes a permanent resident
V.O:Do you have his statement
Yes ma ( I passed it) then told her it contained his Naira account, pounds account, euro account and dollar account (statement was from January to june), she asked me to say that again and I did and she continued typing while I was looking at her while typing.
V.O:Did you apply for Graduate assistantship (maybe she asked because my deficit was $35521)
Yes ma, but I have a support letter here from the grad adviser stating that assistantships inform of scholarships will be given to me on arrival based on the school policy, she requested for the letter while I already passed and she took her time to read it. And dropped it while she was typing fast again
V.O:So what do you intend doing after the completion of your program
Like I said earlier ma, I have a study leave from where I work and I would be coming back to Nigeria to take up leading and challenging roles in the research and product development (she cuts me off)
She typed fast for long and asked
V.O:Have you been denied any visa before looking me in the eye, I smiled and answered yes ma, I have been denied study permit to Canada around 2015/2016. I applied to ****** college for a PGD to study occupational health and safety management. I was working as a safety officer then and when I requested for my GCMS file, I was denied based on ( she cuts me off and typed for long)
V.O:I will be approving your visa, you would be notified when its ready and this is the pick up location I circled, she was talking o but I didn’t hear anything again. After her lips stopped talking, I knew she was done so I said thank you ma while trying to be composed. She returned the statement, letter of support and gave me the white paper, no other documents were asked. I read transcripts here and people say their ears went deaf, that thing is true, so true
It was God’s mercy really. Passport has been picked up yesterday. I’m so grateful to God.
Special thanks to @otunbacoded for gingering me to try the usa, @johnsonolutade for not giving up on me @texrem, I cant thank you enough for firstly helping out with the sevis payment and the series of mock interviews we had, God bless you brother. Youre too much really, I mailed him I said, I see what you did with sharwama, I will disturb you once I’m set, out of his busy schedule, he offered to help, thanks bro. He’s always busy o but I no send am, I was consistent with disturbing him, lol.
I finally have a transcript to share since 2015, God be praised, giving up on our dreams isn’t an option, lets keep up the faith and the light at the end of the tunnel will shine soon on us. Thank you nairalanders, i'm so grateful, learnt alot since a very long time, First mock i had, @texrem said maybe i was reading it somewhere but no, i've worked and worked and worked on the transcript from reading other testimonies, God had his way after all, I RETURN ALL GLORY TO HIM.

Wow, so happy for you. Please I’m new to all this. I’ve been going through different experiences and I’ve been having mixed feelings fear and encouragement. Would really appreciate if you or anyone here can help me out
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by bayocanny: 12:57pm On Aug 19, 2019
TWoods:

This is silly. How does a diploma in American culture help you get a job as an administrative assistant in Nigeria where >50% of youths are essentially jobless? You think you're going to convince anyone with that obvious lie?
"essentially jobless " lol
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheNoble007(m): 12:57pm On Aug 19, 2019
TWoods:

Unless you plan to help cover bills you will incur during your "very short" stay and food, you are better off getting a hotel or air bnb. This is why i always emphasize that folks plan well in advance.

@twoods, thank you for your message... Of course yes, I hope to cover my bills for the short stay.. Some things happen so sudden that you can't even make quick plans... It happened in my case.. At this time last month, I never knew that I will be going to the US... My mind was set on France... I am sure that I will be fine..

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by SOPWriter: 1:02pm On Aug 19, 2019
DammyNwodo1999:
My F1 Visa was denied in Abuja 2days ago.
This is my TRANSCRIPT

Me- Did as he said
VO- Why Richland college?
ME- She has worked as a civil servant for more than 30years, She’s currently the Director of bla bla bla
ME- No

Ok sorry you have been found ineligible for a visa but you can reapply. Bla bla bla

I just kukuma collected my blue paper and disappeared. Am hoping to reapply soon. My program starts on Oct 1st
What are my chances and I don’t intend making any changes in my next application
US embassy mostly doesn't approve applicant's VISA to study in a Community College. Secondly, you should apply to more schools, including Universities. You are good to try again, as there are few people who had got their VISA approved, so, you could be lucky to be one of the "few".

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 19, 2019
YoungDreamer:
I've been a silent follower on this thread. I'm a matured student who is above 21 and will be applying to schools with full ride scholarship for international and those two schools I've researched are hendrix college and Rollins college. I will also be writing SAT by October 5 and am using ixl learning for my study.

Will age be a factor the schools will consider when giving the full ride. The schools have 4 and 10 full ride scholarships respectively for freshman. I do hope to make not less than 1400/1600 in SAT, Am good in maths but the English is what's giving me concern. I do hope to transfer or better still start afresh as afresh in UC Berkeley when I get there.

What advice would you give me.

Make we connect...: check inbox.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by OgogoroDegree: 7:06pm On Aug 19, 2019
Nawa oooooo! grin

What is happening ?

Why scarcity of transcript? shocked

So no nairalander enter US embassy this week? shocked

OK oooooo

I will be back...... cool

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dwilliams707: 8:07pm On Aug 19, 2019
OgogoroDegree:
Nawa oooooo! grin

What is happening ?

OK oooooo

Lol Even if na AP wey don issue..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Swerveking14: 10:26pm On Aug 19, 2019
OgogoroDegree:
Nawa oooooo! grin

What is happening ?

OK oooooo

Ap everywhere... Resumption is close tho
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by nestkojex(m): 10:29pm On Aug 19, 2019
This sounds like an Africa Magic comedy. Lol... Are you a joker? You want to study English and you wrote like this? �
If yes true, then you have serious with to do.
DammyNwodo1999:

I graduated from high school last year 2018, so am going for a 20 months program in America to study English and American Culture, This program will enable to secure the post of an administrative assistant upon my return and international exposure will be a valuable asset upon my return. ( Am 20 years old, am married with a daughter and work as a Clerk in an Education Board)

My F1 Visa was denied in Abuja 2days ago.
This is my TRANSCRIPT

Me- Did as he said
VO- Why Richland college?
ME- No

I just kukuma collected my blue paper and disappeared. Am hoping to reapply soon. My program starts on Oct 1st
What are my chances and I don’t intend making any changes in my next application
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by manneger2: 12:22am On Aug 20, 2019
I need help on school I can apply for Msc, I have Bsc in Biochemistry and what is the chances of getting a student visa from uae as Nigerian, my sponsor is Us and not related to me
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by OgogoroDegree: 12:47am On Aug 20, 2019
Swerveking14:

Ap everywhere... Resumption is close tho

When was your interview?

(1) (2) (3) ... (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.