Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (412) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1360797 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (409) (410) (411) (412) (413) (414) (415) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Futuragetty: 8:30am On Mar 30, 2020
skillmyman:
my daughter got admission into Xavier university with $23,000 a year scholarship. the cost of schooling a yr is $55,000.00. she also got admission into university of Dayton with $26,000.00 scholarship but a total cost of $65,000 a year. please where can I get more scholarship for her to make up the balance of over $30,000 a year. she has a GPA of 4.0/4.0. and SAT score of 1370.
I will not mind applying to other schools for her that will give better scholarship opportunities. She is almost resigning to fate since she score 326 in JAMB but I just want to try my possible best for her to make use of the opportunity.

Any advice will be appreciated
Are you a high-performing student in need of a full scholarship to pursue your education? You could be the next Opportunity Funds scholar! Application opens April 15. For more information about selection criteria and to apply visit http:///edusaofp
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by preciousnobel(m): 11:08am On Mar 30, 2020
oracle009:
Thank you for the help so far.

I got a PhD admission to MCB at Ohio University with full tuition waiver and teaching assistantship. My i-20 came in last week and there was no deficit. However, I was asked to hold $2k for initial survival.
Stated on the i-20, program starts August 12, 2020
Class begins August 24, 2020
Earliest admission date: july 13, 2020.

MY ENQUIRIES:
1. Can I go ahead and pay my SEVIS fee now? Who can you refer to help me with making the payment in USA?

2. Should I go ahead and make my Visa payment and pick an appointment date now? Won't it be too early considering that August is the resumption. If not, when will be the right time to apply?

Thank you

What is your profile like? CGPA, Masters? GRE? Any publication?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by skillmyman(m): 3:53pm On Mar 30, 2020
neurosci:

With that GPA and SAT, she would get a scholarship of $30,000 from the University of Arizona out of a tuition of $36,000. If she could get an SAT score of 1420, she would get a full scholarship. If you can pay the $5,000 difference, let her apply to the University of Arizona right away, otherwise, she should give the SAT another shot and aim for 1420. Feel free to contact me for any questions on U of A (Beardown�)
See here: https://admissions.arizona.edu/cost-aid/international/international-tuition-award

If I were you, I'd also have her apply to small, liberal arts colleges such as Pomona College, Boudoing College, Ahrmest, Reed College, Trinity, Bates etc. Those are good schools that may funds. If she takes the SAT and hits 1450, there is no harm targeting ivy league and similarly top schools that offer need-blind admissions with need-based scholarships.

Finally, she should also apply to Miami University, Ohio, The University of Texas at Arlington, and The University of Alabama, and HBCU's like Howard, Clark Atlanta, and the other one near Morehouse. Since she's a girl, she should also include Wellesley College on her list.

She should spread her wings..

thanks for these.
she is an engineering students so i guess liberal arts colleges don not offer engineering courses.

will try Arizona. will definitely get across to you.

thank you so much
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Northeastern: 5:12pm On Mar 30, 2020
Texas Tech is being proactive here.

You can be in your house in Nigeria and be performing GA duties and getting paid.

No GRE or TOEFl? No problem.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by jhidey08(m): 8:23pm On Mar 30, 2020
Northeastern:

You can be in your house in Nigeria and be performing GA duties and getting paid.

This post just lifted my spirit, thanks for sharing this with us. I’ve been worried that we might lose this fall 2020 entrance with the way the look of things. We keep praying for an end to this virus.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by neurosci: 10:11pm On Mar 30, 2020
skillmyman:

thanks for these.
she is an engineering students so i guess liberal arts colleges don not offer engineering courses.

will try Arizona. will definitely get across to you.

thank you so much

Please, do not misinterpret the meaning of the phrase "liberal arts." Liberal arts colleges do offer engineering; Harvard University is an example. In fact, this is why studying engineering at a liberal arts college may be the best for your daughter: https://www.liberalartscolleges.com/why-studying-engineering-at-liberal-arts-colleges-can-be-the-best-choice/
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 11:03pm On Mar 30, 2020
Northeastern:

No, that's not it. The interpretation is that your assistantships would not be cancelled while everything goes online. It would still be active but only in the subsequent terms when you would have physically enrolled in the program.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Northeastern: 12:10am On Mar 31, 2020
9jamyHome:
No, that's not it. The interpretation is that your assistantships would not be cancelled while everything goes online. It would still be active but only in the subsequent terms when you would have physically enrolled in the program.

My bad.

Thanks for the correction.

I had exaggerated the message and probably given folks false hope.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kunkelhanspeter(m): 3:05am On Mar 31, 2020
Please guys some1 want to be my sponsor to USA she was asking me what she need to do any help how to go about it
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 8:13am On Mar 31, 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TyTos: 9:17am On Mar 31, 2020
Hello ladies and gentlemen, i just gained admission to the university of Michigan ann habor, fall 2020

What is the next step now
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Callmiabbby: 9:38am On Mar 31, 2020
hi guys, I gained admission to Bowie University Maryland for fall 2020 and on my admission letter it was written for me to pay acceptance fee of $80 to secure my admission. my question is, should I pay now or should I hold on and pay when I get to the us and just go ahead with my visa application, that's after all this Corona stuff. Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by slashthroat: 10:07am On Mar 31, 2020
I have a 2015 masters from UniPort and currently have 9 years of experience in same field of study (IT related)

My question is i am looking at PhD options in the USA .
Are info tech colleges like MIT, Virginia Tech, Colorado School of Mines more rated than "traditional" universities?

The USA system of categorizing or naming of higher institutions eg colleges and universities baffles me and is making my research inquiry difficult

Any opinion guys?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mzhorlah(f): 10:56am On Mar 31, 2020
Awilibogy:
Good Evening guys, i need your assistance. i need schools without an application fee for Fall 2020. thanks in anticipation.
Check Rowan University, applicaton fee is free for international students.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by slashthroat: 11:03am On Mar 31, 2020
slashthroat:
I have a 2015 masters from UniPort and currently have 9 years of experience in same field of study (IT related)

Are info tech colleges like MIT, Virginia Tech, Colorado School of Mines more rated than "traditional" universities?

The USA system of categorizing or naming of higher institutions eg colleges and universities baffles me and is making my research inquiry difficult

Any opinion guys?

Any opinion guys
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kilankoazeez: 12:48pm On Mar 31, 2020
slashthroat:

Any opinion guys?

What do you mean by 'traditional' universities?
The schools you mentioned are top rated schools in the US
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by slashthroat: 12:50pm On Mar 31, 2020
kilankoazeez:

What do you mean by 'traditional' universities?
The schools you mentioned are top rated schools in the US

I meant any higher institution with "University" as part of their name.

Most these tech colleges have limited postgraduate courses compared to Universities
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kilankoazeez: 12:51pm On Mar 31, 2020
Callmiabbby:
hi guys, I gained admission to Bowie University Maryland for fall 2020 and on my admission letter it was written for me to pay acceptance fee of $80 to secure my admission. my question is, should I pay now or should I hold on and pay when I get to the us and just go ahead with my visa application, that's after all this Corona stuff. Thanks

With the little I know, if you do not pay now you can't secure your I20 and there's no way you can apply for Visa processing with the I20 available.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kilankoazeez: 12:52pm On Mar 31, 2020
TyTos:
Hello ladies and gentlemen, i just gained admission to the university of Michigan ann habor, fall 2020

Process your I20 and the next step will follow
Congratulations on your admission

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kilankoazeez: 12:56pm On Mar 31, 2020
slashthroat:

I meant any higher institution with "University" as part of their name.

Most these tech colleges have limited postgraduate courses compared to Universities

I'll advise you check the rankings of colleges and universities in your area of interest to narrow down your choice based on the requirement that matches your profile. You welcome.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vc1177(m): 1:24pm On Mar 31, 2020
TyTos:

Hi. We're in the same boat. From what I've observed so far, next is I-20, SEVIS fee apayment, booking of interview, and then Visa Interview. I might not be fully accurate with the procedures. Currently reading through Part15 of this thread and asking questions.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vc1177(m): 1:26pm On Mar 31, 2020
fairheart:
If you want to get a Yellow card so that you can feel you're not missing anything as you travel, go get it at public health centre close to you. It is N2500 or so, and I took one early this year at Health Centre Ikeja, not so far from the international airport. Just get it if you can.

Hello Sir(s)/Madam(s). Please what's the current price for the aforesaid Yellow card at the aforementioned Health Centre?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vc1177(m): 2:12pm On Mar 31, 2020
Predstan:

Haaaa Bro. Connection with nigerians in the USA. U better take am easy and connect with your professors and collegues. Don’t network with anyone from Nigeria. When you get there, you can scrutinize for like minds and no go jam Agbako cus if you jam one, your body go kaako

smiley smiley smiley
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Mosminic(m): 2:13pm On Mar 31, 2020
Anyone admitted to the University of Kentucky? Let's connect

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vc1177(m): 3:08pm On Mar 31, 2020
brainy02:
Pls is university of wisconsin Parkside a good school to pursue without red flag

Please, how do I identify red-flag schools as an applicant?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kilankoazeez: 5:20pm On Mar 31, 2020
vc1177:

Please, how do I identify red-flag schools as an applicant?

Use niche.com to ascertain that

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by GboyegaD(m): 5:34pm On Mar 31, 2020
Nostradamus1:
I am new here and look forward to learning a lot from you guys. So I am undergraduate who has aspirations to study abroad. I could have kick started the journey immediately after secondary school but for financial difficulties.

I had 3A, 3B2, and 3B3 in my Waec. In my own calculations, my GPA was around 3.67 (I will be glad if someone can crosscheck it for me)

And i am planning to write SAT towards the end of the year. I will be interested in information regarding how feasible my dream is and schools that offer full funding including board.

I am interested in studying computer science or its related variants

Pls all information would be welcomed

Michigan State University has good funding for undergraduate students.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by GboyegaD(m): 5:36pm On Mar 31, 2020
skillmyman:
my daughter got admission into Xavier university with $23,000 a year scholarship. the cost of schooling a yr is $55,000.00. she also got admission into university of Dayton with $26,000.00 scholarship but a total cost of $65,000 a year. please where can I get more scholarship for her to make up the balance of over $30,000 a year. she has a GPA of 4.0/4.0. and SAT score of 1370.
I will not mind applying to other schools for her that will give better scholarship opportunities. She is almost resigning to fate since she score 326 in JAMB but I just want to try my possible best for her to make use of the opportunity.

Any advice will be appreciated

You may want to try publicly funded schools. Many have good funding particularly for their honors college.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by adeoluremi1(f): 6:26pm On Mar 31, 2020
Hello there
Mosminic:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Misterdhee1(m): 9:54pm On Mar 31, 2020
Mosminic:
Have you been offered any form of funding? I got an admit too
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Awilibogy(m): 10:22pm On Mar 31, 2020
Good evening guys.
i really need help, i am looking for schools for fall 2020 without application fees. thanks in anticipation guys.
Intended Degree: Msc.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by yuscodguy(m): 10:35pm On Mar 31, 2020
Good evening everybody, if you have gotten admission and no funding yet please don't panic it will surely come. The pandemic situation we found ourselves is really slowing down a lot of things.

We will surely get through this. Congratulations to those who have gotten admission and funding.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (409) (410) (411) (412) (413) (414) (415) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.