Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,458 members, 7,819,669 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (443) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1362375 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (440) (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by brashear: 5:12am On Apr 30, 2020
Moshkom:
Good day guys, how long does it take to be on a GA WAIT-LIST? My advisor said I’m on the waitlist. Anyone with similar experience? Georgia Southern Uni.
what's your course?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Neeta02(f): 8:51am On Apr 30, 2020
I got admitted into the same department too. I don’t think there’s any hope of funding now until we get to campus.
DonJSHY:
Good Day Great People, l have been following this tread and l have really got enlightened. Please, l got accepted at Western Illinois University (WIU) to study Master in Computer Science but got no funding, l was informed Graduate Assistantship is only available for returning student and will require approximately $24k. My profile, in my Undergraduate l study Electrical & Electronics Engineering, GRE - 304, CGPA - 3.79/ 5, no working experience. My question is that is it still possible to get funding, l also want to know if l can try getting to the school in USA and sponsor myself for 1st semester is there a high chance of me getting funding second semester, lastly is the school a good school. Thank you for all your kind responses in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DonJSHY(m): 9:51am On Apr 30, 2020
Neeta02:
I got admitted into the same department too. I don’t think there’s any hope of funding now until we get to campus.
Let us connect, l will send you a DM

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by passionateyouth: 10:08am On Apr 30, 2020
Hey guys,

I was recently admitted into Washington state university, Vancouver's Ms in electrical engineering program. In the offer letter, they said "assistantship is not available at this time".

Is there anyone currently in the school or anyone that knows how well this school offers GA? I don't know if I can still push them even with what the wrote in the letter. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Jona48(m): 11:55am On Apr 30, 2020
Can I provide two people as my sponsors ;one being a US citizen and the other one a Nigerian?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Mallamai(f): 3:36pm On Apr 30, 2020
Can I be granted a student visa without a standardized test..because the school I applied for doesn't require it
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Damian457: 4:17pm On Apr 30, 2020
Guys...what on campus and off campus jobs can i do as a student in the US?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 4:39pm On Apr 30, 2020
An international student is legally not allowed to do off campus jobs while studying except maybe summer internship which is like a registered course.

As for on campus jobs, you can apply for assistantships like research, teaching or administrative or other student jobs.

Damian457:
Guys...what on campus and off campus jobs can i do as a student in the US?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 4:41pm On Apr 30, 2020
Your ability to prove you’re a genuine student and meet other requirements coupled with favor is the determinant for successful visa interview. If having test scores will make you more confident and credible, you can take them.

Mallamai:
Can I be granted a student visa without a standardized test..because the school I applied for doesn't require it
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Moshkom(m): 4:42pm On Apr 30, 2020
brashear:

what's your course?

Computer Sci
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Damian457: 5:32pm On Apr 30, 2020
Eniolakiite:
An international student is legally not allowed to do off campus jobs while studying except maybe summer internship which is like a registered course.

As for on campus jobs, you can apply for assistantships like research, teaching or administrative or other student jobs.

can i use those on campus Jobs to pay my bills?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by thekingofafrica: 9:11pm On Apr 30, 2020
One of my major fear is, will GA RA or TA be available with the financial crunch America is facing? Will schools be able to throw out much money for tuition waivers and stipend payments, make person no go hang there, anyone able to shed more light on this question

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vc1177(m): 10:33pm On Apr 30, 2020
thekingofafrica:
One of my major fear is, will GA RA or TA be available with the financial crunch America is facing? Will schools be able to throw out much money for tuition waivers and stipend payments, make person no go hang there, anyone able to shed more light on this question
With JAH, nothing shall be impossible. smiley
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pepperoni001: 11:37pm On Apr 30, 2020
I have also been admitted to study in EIU for FALL 2020. I was also funded with GA and a deficit of about 4,500

Did you speak to David Melton personally?

Please if you haven’t, you need to message or call in ASAP and explain to him how you needed to be funded to be able to attend EIU.

Istanbul8819:
Good day good people,

Please I require help with some decisions. I applied to two schools for master's degree in Technology with a Nigerian CGPA of 4.09/5.0 . Eastern Illinois University and East Tennessee State University. I was given admission by the two school.

For Eastern Illinois University, I wasn't given any funding and the Graduate Coordinator said GA and TA are only given after completing a semester. The total cost for a year is $25,000 plus. $13k plus for Tuition, $2k plus for fees, and $10k plus for living expenses.

For East Tennessee State University (ETSU), I was given a merit scholarship worth $11,500 per year. The total cost is $46k plus. So deducting the $10,500 scholarship I still have a deficit of $35k plus.

ETSU is quite expensive and I was wondering how those who attended the school did it considering a lot of students here have attended the school and a lot recommended it due to their generous funding. I would want to know how they do it or what I am not doing right.

I prefer the Eastern Illinois University though but I don't know how to go about getting funding there to reduce the financial burden considering the difficult time we have now.

Please kindly help me with information and help.

cc
texrem fairheart, lagosismyhome gunther

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by biikeys(m): 11:52pm On Apr 30, 2020
GboyegaD:

Ogbeni, how you dey? @imperiouxx, I see you sef.

I dey o. How every every bro?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by GboyegaD(m): 12:07am On May 01, 2020
biikeys:

I dey o. How every every bro?

Not too bad. I dey near your domot.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by brashear: 5:09am On May 01, 2020
Moshkom:

Computer Sci
let's hope someone rejects their GA offer. I applied to the school, too, and was waitlisted.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Moshkom(m): 10:06am On May 01, 2020
brashear:

let's hope someone rejects their GA offer. I applied to the school, too, and was waitlisted.

Wow! Nice. Amen my brother ��
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nad95: 10:18am On May 01, 2020
wongwe:
Thanks for the explicit info. I think we should connect better. Kindly check your mail

Hi, wongwe. I sent you a PM. I'll really appreciate it if you don't mind reverting.

Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nad95: 10:19am On May 01, 2020
Istanbul8819:
What do you mean by good sponsor? Yes, I have a sponsor to give me the statement of account to use. For ETSU the only important thing is the CGPA and I have 4.09/5.0 and I have IELTS too 7.5 overall, and GRE 301. I have over 4 years working experience too. I will await your response. Thanks

Hi, Istanbul8819. I sent you a PM. I'll really appreciate it if you don't mind reverting.

Thanks..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Digbick: 10:34am On May 01, 2020
I applied to Utep and CSU mathematics, but I was sent a message last week from CSU graduate coordinator, that I am on the unqualified queue, that I should expect a rejection from the mathematics department where I applied to, I am thinking of evaluating my result if it can boost my cgpa, considering my cgpa is 2.5/7.0, Gre score is 283, Utep application is still on review.
Please guys what do you suggest I do?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Aderin0la: 10:44am On May 01, 2020
I’ll suggest you retake your GRE, so it can boost your GPA. Or do a Pgd or Masters here in Nigeria before applying. 2.5/7 is lower than 3.0/4 or even 2.5/4 that most schools require. But with God nothing is impossible.

Digbick:
I applied to Utep and CSU mathematics, but I was sent a message last week from CSU graduate coordinator, that I am on the unqualified queue, that I should expect a rejection from the mathematics department where I applied to, I am thinking of evaluating my result if it can boost my cgpa, considering my cgpa is 2.5/7.0 from University of Ibadan, Gre score is 283, Utep application is still on review.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Digbick: 10:57am On May 01, 2020
Aderin0la:
I’ll suggest you retake your GRE, so it can boost your GPA. Or do a Pgd or Masters here in Nigeria before applying. 2.5/7 is lower than 3.0/4 or even 2.5/4 that most schools require. But with God nothing is impossible.

Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 10:58am On May 01, 2020
Princekenuk:
What does the school verification entail please?

They send an email to your school to verify if the transcript is authentic.

Which contact/staff will they call to verify?

The registrar office.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 11:05am On May 01, 2020
Digbick:
I applied to Utep and CSU mathematics, but I was sent a message last week from CSU graduate coordinator, that I am on the unqualified queue, that I should expect a rejection from the mathematics department where I applied to, I am thinking of evaluating my result if it can boost my cgpa, considering my cgpa is 2.5/7.0 from University of Ibadan, Gre score is 283, Utep application is still on review.

You should evaluate your transcript with WES. Some schools require an overall minimum GPA of 2.5/4 or 2.5/4 in the last two years. Write GRE again and get a score that can make them overlook your GPA. Ensure you have valuable work experience and extracurricular activities.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tsirin(f): 11:12am On May 01, 2020
Please, I applied to Northern Illinois University (NIU), Masters in Childhood Education, my i20 form has arrived. no GA, TA for now and my school fees plus accommodation etc is 29,500 dollars. would I be able to cope, without G.A./T.A or is there any possibility of getting fixed after first semester, can anybody please guide me more.?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Tobironke: 12:20pm On May 01, 2020
I also graduated from dept of Mathematics, University of Ibadan though I applied to MA Mathematics with( statistics con )and I've gotten one admit so far. Apply to other schools.....I believe you can get an admit.
Digbick:
I applied to Utep and CSU mathematics, but I was sent a message last week from CSU graduate coordinator, that I am on the unqualified queue, that I should expect a rejection from the mathematics department where I applied to, I am thinking of evaluating my result if it can boost my cgpa, considering my cgpa is 2.5/7.0, Gre score is 283, Utep application is still on review.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 12:38pm On May 01, 2020
tsirin:
Please, I applied to Northern Illinois University (NIU), Masters in Childhood Education, my i20 form has arrived. no GA, TA for now and my school fees plus accommodation etc is 29,500 dollars. would I be able to cope, without G.A./T.A or is there any possibility of getting fixed after first semester, can anybody please guide me more.?

Send a mail to the student aid department asking for help and available options for you to explore.
I think you should begin to look out for other sources of funding. Also, its possible to secure a GA from another department. You can reach out to graduate coordinators of other programs to see if there are openings. Some have openings that they don't advertise. Its all about convincing them of your competence.
And be patient. Many departments usually have openings as fall semester draws closer.
Lastly, check to see if your school has a page where they post vacancies for students. BGSU has such. And I think others too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Istanbul8819: 12:49pm On May 01, 2020
I spoke with David Melton and as a matter of fact he was the one who told me that a new policy is in place that makes it impossible to offer a GA until I finish a semester. Did you get a GA in Technology? Are you still in Nigeria? I will send a PM so I can ask some more personal questions. Thanks a lot.
Pepperoni001:
I have also been admitted to study in EIU for FALL 2020. I was also funded with GA and a deficit of about 4,500

Did you speak to David Melton personally?

Please if you haven’t, you need to message or call in ASAP and explain to him how you needed to be funded to be able to attend EIU.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Istanbul8819: 12:51pm On May 01, 2020
Am sorry. Will reply you right now. Thanks
Nad95:

Hi, Istanbul8819. I sent you a PM. I'll really appreciate it if you don't mind reverting.

Thanks..

(1) (2) (3) ... (440) (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.