Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,349 members, 7,829,881 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (456) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1368166 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (453) (454) (455) (456) (457) (458) (459) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 7:30pm On May 12, 2020
sheke01:

If you've been paying attention to anything I've ever said you will see my chain of reasoning. The US is still arguing about reopening. Some little states are beginning to see spikes in cases and deaths. Schools are planning on reopening but are still saying "we will do so if it's safe"

US evacuated it's citizens from different countries of the world. Who will reopen the embassies? US citizens. Where are thus US citizens? They all ran back to the comfort of their homeland. When will the embassy reopen? Undefined. How likely will DHS believe other countries are safe to send their citizens to reopen the embassies? No one knows when

How will international students gets visa to resume by fall? No one knows except some nairaland e-warriors that also doubles as DHS officials.

lol

Yeah DHS officials. There are so many of them here who knows exactly what the US will do and not do. However, there is nothing wrong with being optimistic and pushing whatever plan one have towards Fall 2020.

But I still stand to say, you shouldn't pay SEVIS fee even if you have recieved your i-20. SEVIS can be paid anytime when Embassy reopens.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 7:46pm On May 12, 2020
There may be three options for incoming students

- Online classes may be necessary
- Student visas may be obtained within short notice if embassy opens close to fall resumption and many students won't get the chance to secure interview date in time to resume in the fall.
- Admission deferral

Let's see how everything unfolds smiley

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sheke01: 7:49pm On May 12, 2020
Predstan:

Yeah DHS officials. There are so many of them here who knows exactly what the US will do and not do. However, there is nothing wrong with being optimistic and pushing whatever plan one have towards Fall 2020.

But I still stand to say, you shouldn't pay SEVIS fee even if you have recieved your i-20. SEVIS can be paid anytime when Embassy reopens.

My point too. But some peeps want to eat me for airing my opinion
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sayfe: 9:19pm On May 12, 2020
I applied in early April and got admitted a week later
horlahsunbo225:

I applied last month and i was admitted last month also..

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sayfe: 9:21pm On May 12, 2020
Are you attending this fall or deferring?
horlahsunbo225:

I applied last month and i was admitted last month also..

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 4:19am On May 13, 2020
I think someone was asking about the GRE and TOEFL tests during this period.

Found this update on their site in case anyone needs the information.

https://www.ets.org/s/cv/important-update/

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sheke01: 6:00am On May 13, 2020
San Francisco state University and all 23 campuses of California state University just announced that fall semester will be online. No in person class till at least 2021.

let's keep watching
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 7:40am On May 13, 2020
If I didn't know better, I would have thought you are really desperate to prove a point. It's all well and good though, I now have a plug for the negative updates.Thank you for all you do. Our Hero!!!
sheke01:
San Francisco sta1te University and all 23 campuses of California state University just announced that fall semester will be online. No in person class till at least 2021.

let's keep watching

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:27am On May 13, 2020
sonofakin:
If I didn't know better, I would have thought you are really desperate to prove a point. It's all well and good though, I now have a plug for the negative updates.Thank you for all you do. Our Hero!!!

Is it really negative update or the reality on ground ....

We are in a pandemic and it might take a while for the world to go back as we know it . 1918 pandemic took 2 years to resolve .

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solastar2: 8:28am On May 13, 2020
sheke01:
San Francisco state University and all 23 campuses of California state University just announced that fall semester will be online. No in person class till at least 2021.

let's keep watching

Although I read this but I have seen some universities that have concluded to have face to face class for Fall 2020. The problem I am seeing here is not the university but the embassy. If the embassies fail to open, there is nothing we can do. But I am still hoping the embassy will open before Fall 2020 and if that happens everything should be fine.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by UhnNah: 9:00am On May 13, 2020
Schools in California might be canceling their in person classes but Germany and Austria will be easing their border restrictions from Friday and controls will be completely lifted from june 15...might come with a 14 days forced quarantine on arrival tho!

https://wtvbam.com/news/articles/2020/may/13/austrian-german-border-to-reopen-from-june-15-austrian-tourism-minister/1017490/?refer-section=world

It’s just a matter of time before the United States opens up their border/embassy etc!

There,a little bit of hope for everyone to soak in!

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:08am On May 13, 2020
UhnNah:
Schools in California might be canceling their in person classes but Germany and Austria will be easing their border restrictions from Friday and controls will be completely lifted from June 15...might come with a 14 days forced quarantined on arrival tho!

https://wtvbam.com/news/articles/2020/may/13/austrian-german-border-to-reopen-from-june-15-austrian-tourism-minister/1017490/?refer-section=world

It’s just a matter of time before the United States opens up their border/embassy etc!

There,a little bit of hope for everyone to soak in!

Germany is not a good example to use though... they reopen gradually only for infection rate to triple. If that continues then you can be sure lockdown is going back..

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by UhnNah: 9:21am On May 13, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Germany is not a good example to use though... they reopen gradually only for infection rate to triple. If that continues then you can be sure lockdown is going back..

I know but the point is,countries are not allowing the virus to cripple the economy to the point of non-recovery! They’re growing that ‘let’s tip toe around it’ mentality!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Mosminic(m): 10:04am On May 13, 2020
sheke01:

let's keep watching
Yes definitely there are a whole lot of Universities who have announced in person classes for fall 20 too you know. It's likely California State University with all its 23 campuses couldn't come up with safe plan to have their in-person classes without endangering the students. Many schools are planning on in-person classes, few others are planning on a hybrid program. If students most especially new grad students who most times serve as TAs are not available to help, how do you think they'll achieve this? Let's just wait and be optimistic. Yes you're trying to be realistic but the possibility of embassies opening up before fall 20 is also realistic.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 10:13am On May 13, 2020
Well there was a topic of discussion on ground before on whether people should be hopeful that embassies will open in time for fall enrollment. While some people said they chose to be positive and hopeful and maybe make some harmless preparations, some said they shouldn't. My take is one can strike a balance between being realistic and being optimistic. The OP decided to further buttress his point by giving us updates about California State Schools. I say he is being subjective just to make a point on a faceless forum. He should probably extend his Tentacles to other states, say University of Texas system for instance, or give his updates of yesterday's senate inquiry he made a reference to yesterday. Truth is everyone is just planning and projecting based on the current situation and the way they can interpret it. Dr. Fauci, Cuomo,
Trump and the likes.
LagosismyHome:

We are in a pandemic and it might take a while for the world to go back as we know it . 1918 pandemic took 2 years to resolve .

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Jubrilx3: 11:15am On May 13, 2020
Hello.
Which school will accept a cgpa of 2.4. dont mind a good private school
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DonJSHY(m): 12:16pm On May 13, 2020
Good Day Good people, what do think about online class, l got admitted into a masters program but without funding and was hoping l could get funding when l am on campus. Also l need you all advice I got a 304, 3.0 in gre, l studied Electrical & Electronics Engineering, cgpa 3.2/4, do you think it will be a good idea to sit for gre again and aim for a better score, will this improve my chance of getting funding for either a phd or masters program for 2021 as l might differ my admission if l won't be on campus. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nostradamus1: 12:32pm On May 13, 2020
Futuragetty:

I agree.
@Mickolo, for your SAT prep, Check Pdfdrive.com
December SAT is the last test score report accepted by most Colleges. so ensure you registered on time, since you its your first attempt grin
I agree.
@Mickolo, for your SAT prep, Check Pdfdrive.com
December SAT is the last test score report accepted by most Colleges.
Nov 7 is also the deadline for most colleges.
can you pay sat fee with first bank atm card by yourself
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nostradamus1: 12:43pm On May 13, 2020
Micholo5:

You should be able to access it now.
Hi
I am undergrad too.have u registered for sat
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mvem(m): 12:56pm On May 13, 2020
LagosismyHome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5wSe4w9Tv4

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mvem(m): 12:57pm On May 13, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5wSe4w9Tv4

Watch Senator Paul argument that schools should reopen for fall
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mvem(m): 1:08pm On May 13, 2020
LagosismyHome:

no economy can sustain a lockdown. By ideals a lockdown should continue until a vaccine shows up which is not feasible because we don't know how long that is. Why countries are easing up lockdown is because they can't sustain it anymore. The approach is how to live and mitigate the effect of the virus and get back to something close to normal life. It is arguable that the effect of a lockdown will be worse than the virus itself. The world is going into a recession because of an intentional effect ( lockdown), unemployment rate is at the highest, crime rates will increase, poverty, etc

UN projects highest unemployment rate ever. Millions will loose their jobs, meaning many won't handle bills that they should, jeopardizing the health and welfare of millions. Samething(health) we are trying to protect we are still hurting

Poverty will increase, as it is said more will fall under the poverty line. You know what that means? The direct and indirect effects ?

Even Aid agencies are short of money to help in alleviating poverty as they do or the help they render for other ailments or managing other epidemics and ailments. I was watching an interview yesterday, where someone said that this covid shouldn't distract the fact that there are other things killing people and if we ignore TB,HIV etc it will kill more this year. They are already projecting higher numbers of these deaths because of distraction by covid and the lockdown

My point is this lockdown is an over reaction and exaggeration to a health concern with measures taken that will backfire or have a boomerang effect. Can't we not see the Swedish , Jamaica models etc. Their models don't require a lockdown and they are doing relatively well. So call WHO wants others to look into their approach, a lockdown is not necessary. The Swedish chief epidemiologist said that there is no concrete proof that the lockdown will significantly halt spread, many scientist have differing views. What is certain is no economy can sustain one indefinitely and opening up is Paramount with measures to mitigate spread until better clinical treatments and possibly vaccine comes which might never be or come far later

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:04pm On May 13, 2020
mvem:
no economy can sustain a lockdown. By ideals a lockdown should continue until a vaccine shows up which is not feasible because we don't know how long that is. Why countries are easing up lockdown is because they can't sustain it anymore. The approach is how to live and mitigate the effect of the virus and get back to something close to normal life. It is arguable that the effect of a lockdown will be worse than the virus itself. The world is going into a recession because of an intentional effect ( lockdown), unemployment rate is at the highest, crime rates will increase, poverty, etc

UN projects highest unemployment rate ever. Millions will loose their jobs, meaning many won't handle bills that they should, jeopardizing the health and welfare of millions. Samething(health) we are trying to protect we are still hurting

Poverty will increase, as it is said more will fall under the poverty line. You know what that means? The direct and indirect effects ?

Even Aid agencies are short of money to help in alleviating poverty as they do or the help they render for other ailments or managing other epidemics and ailments. I was watching an interview yesterday, where someone said that this covid shouldn't distract the fact that there are other things killing people and if we ignore TB,HIV etc it will kill more this year. They are already projecting higher numbers of these deaths because of distraction by covid and the lockdown

My point is this lockdown is an over reaction and exaggeration to a health concern with measures taken that will backfire or have a boomerangs effect. Can't we not see Swedish , Jamaica models etc models that don't require a lockdown and they are doing relatively well. So call WHO wants others to look into their approach, a lockdown is not necessary. The Swedish chief epidemiologist said that there is no concrete proof that the lockdown will significantly halt spread, many scientist have differing views. What is certain is no economy can sustain one indefinitely and opening up is Paramount with measures to mitigate spread until better clinical treatments and possibly vaccine comes which might never be or come far later

All this points down to making money a priority before public health..... I personally get that money is good but dead people cannot work or do anything so I put public health first . All the talk I seen about going on as normal is all due to money .

Abeg people are dying ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mvem(m): 2:55pm On May 13, 2020
LagosismyHome:

All this points down to making money a priority before public health..... I personally get that money is good but dead people cannot work or do anything so I put public health first . All the talk I seen about going on as normal is all due to money .

seems you did not get me, I doubt you read what I wrote. The lockdown will still affect that health they are trying to protect if you look at the bigger picture

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Mosminic(m): 2:58pm On May 13, 2020
LagosismyHome:

People are dying definitely but if you close down an economy for a year, don't you think more people will die from starvation? Many countries are finding it hard to sustain their citizens in this lockdown talk more of keeping the lockdown for a year.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by rkarang: 3:49pm On May 13, 2020
Wow, a lovely write-up there @mvem

I couldn’t just agree more to the last paragraph. There is no significant evidence that the lockdown is effective

This is a brand-new strain virus that what we don’t know is far more than what we know.

Despite all of the reporting, noise, “expert analysis”, modeling, etc.... precious little is known about CoVid 19 from a public health and business perspective.

To protect health care systems from being overrun (flattening the curve), policy makers set direct containment measures such as social distancing and massive business closures were implemented around the world to reduce the spread of CoVid 19

But we don’t yet know how truly effective the direct containment measures have been to achieving this goal.

We know that viruses can and do mutate but we don’t know when and how CoVid 19 could and would mutate; and, how that would impact the development of a vaccine.

In order to offset the economic fallout from the closures and lockdowns, governments are undertaking a gradual re-opening of many sectors but we don’t know if firms that reopen will be able to sustain themselves in this new environment.

Given what little we currently know-and how much we don’t know-it appears that unless there are significant learnings about CoVid 19 governments and business leaders might continue to struggle to minimize the ravaging effect of CoVid 19.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Micholo5(m): 6:33pm On May 13, 2020
Nostradamus1:

Hi
I am undergrad too.have u registered for sat
No, not yet.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dimejalex(m): 6:41pm On May 13, 2020
JustSomeDude:
I did, still awaiting your response.
hello I sent you a pm can you pls reply me I got some question to ask
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by JustSomeDude(m): 7:15pm On May 13, 2020
dimejalex:
hello I sent you a pm can you pls reply me I got some question to ask
I'll check in a bit

(1) (2) (3) ... (453) (454) (455) (456) (457) (458) (459) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.