Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,111 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (481) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1360674 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (478) (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Limitededition10: 4:14am On Jun 18, 2020
fairheart:
Yes, the information of the sponsor who will pay for your studies is required here. smiley

Hello, if one gets a fully funded scholarship to study in USA, will proof of funds still be required?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sultanfortune(m): 4:26am On Jun 18, 2020
Limitededition10:

Hello, if one gets a fully funded scholarship to study in USA, will proof of funds still be required?

Once your assistantship/scholarship covers everything, there will be no need to provide prove of funding, except if perhaps there is some kind of deficit in your funding.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pompeiimagnus: 7:08am On Jun 18, 2020
NwanyiOkpa:

Here is what CSUOhio sent me.

Most likely fall will be online. It's gonna be difficult and super expensive to setup barriers on a campus of over 30k students. Schools are also trying to be careful due to legal implications involved. It's also why DT has asked people attending his convention in Oklahoma to sign waivers protecting him from liability if they contract the virus at the rally...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Mosminic(m): 9:58am On Jun 18, 2020
NwanyiOkpa:

Here is what CSUOhio sent me.
Good option really.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 10:45am On Jun 18, 2020
Limitededition10:

If there's no deficit, then there may be no need to go with a statement of account. I interacted with two students who were awarded full funding without deficit in fall 2019, and they went for their interview without a bank statement. If you have some deficit, better go with a sponsor acct, or your own bank account to show you have source of funds to pay for the deficit.
Sometimes, the consular want to see the statement and then return it immediately.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pepperoni001: 1:56pm On Jun 18, 2020
Please Anyone here attending EIU tentatively for FALL 2020?

I have a deficit of just $1,700. Please what should I fill on DS 160 when asked, person or entity paying for your trip?

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Paultaiwo101: 3:22pm On Jun 18, 2020
Hello guys, pls help out as I don't seem to understand University of New Mexico admission advisors, I was asked to provide bank statement before i can apply for graduate assistnships. Is this the way it works in other schools too. Since getting an Assistanship would take care of tuition, why do I need to provide bank statement before I can apply for it�. Pls provide guidance. I don't know where I'd see sponsor with $30,500 in the akkant oo. (^!_!^)

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Fabuloski(m): 10:33pm On Jun 18, 2020
Good day, Scholars.
I will like to go for masters program in Chemistry next year because I am currently serving. Please, can you recommend schools that are known to provide fully funded scholarships?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jun 18, 2020
Guys! Who knows where I can make an affidavit for SOA authentication in Lagos? And the cost of doing such.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by klawaaa: 11:41pm On Jun 18, 2020
Nearly all graduate programs in chemistry are fully funded in the state. Just bargain properly with your profile while applying to schools.
Fabuloski:
Good day, Scholars.
I will like to go for masters program in Chemistry next year because I am currently serving. Please, can you recommend schools that are known to provide fully funded scholarships?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ninafran: 4:11am On Jun 19, 2020
Hello guys,
I'm a graduate student in the U.S. I'm a Pharmacist by profession. I'm really new to this environment and I'm trying to start on the right foot. I need advice/details on how to practice as a Pharmacist in the U.S (i.e. exams I could take). I also need a job I can use to support myself. Please kindly assist me. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Deltayankeeboi: 6:59am On Jun 19, 2020
klawaaa:
Nearly all graduate programs in chemistry are fully funded in the state. Just bargain properly with your profile while applying to schools.

Hello, what about Masters in zoology(research area in environmental and sustainable energy management, wildlife and biodiversity conservation, toxicology and climate change). Can such courses be fully funded scholarship
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by klawaaa: 8:18am On Jun 19, 2020
A degree as D-pharm would definitely open a great lots of opportunities for you in the state. Many in social sciences and other professions do it. So your best best is to look into such as soon as possible. If you are in the state already you should know how things go as per hustling. Try look for menial jobs such as a career giver and the likes. You can as well search for location that the cost of schooling is not too high. Please don't leave school for hustling because if you wanna make it legit in the western world, it is your certificate that can really open such doors.
ninafran:
Hello guys,
I'm a graduate student in the U.S. I'm a Pharmacist by profession. I'm really new to this environment and I'm trying to start on the right foot. I need advice/details on how to practice as a Pharmacist in the U.S (i.e. exams I could take). I also need a job I can use to support myself. Please kindly assist me. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by klawaaa: 8:23am On Jun 19, 2020
I think basic sciences win graduate funding more. Because OTHER majors would be taking labs and TAs are always needed. GRA positions are also readily available.
Deltayankeeboi:

Hello, what about Masters in zoology(research area in environmental and sustainable energy management, wildlife and biodiversity conservation, toxicology and climate change). Can such courses be fully funded scholarship
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AceNavy: 11:42am On Jun 19, 2020
Pls I am a novice Here..How do I start the Process pls
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by boommer: 11:45am On Jun 19, 2020
Good morning all, pls how do I start the process for US student visa application
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:54pm On Jun 19, 2020
Schrodinger1:
Guys! Who knows where I can make an affidavit for SOA authentication in Lagos? And the cost of doing such.

SOA as in bank statement?.... why would you need an affidavit for that
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 19, 2020
LagosismyHome:

SOA as in bank statement?.... why would you need an affidavit for that

Yes, Bank statement. UL Lafayette wants to see an SOA that is verified to be original as it would aid my I20 collection. I think an affidavit does that.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jun 19, 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pdjohnson: 3:59pm On Jun 19, 2020
Hello,

For those who have been making enquiries as regarding full funding in STEM, I think this might be somewhat useful.

Firstly, like others have mentioned, most STEM disciplines "especially in the R1 university category" do fully fund their graduate students especially at the doctoral level. At the masters level this is some what rare, since a few programs do not really run a masters, this is very common in doctoral programs in the biological sciences and doctoral programs in schools of medicine. Masters programs are generally not automatically fully funded but one can still bargain for tuition remission and a form of stipend.

Also, in the R2 university category, since there is not a very high research activity, it's quite difficult for masters students to get funding, even some PhD students are not 'automatically'fully funded even in the stem, until they bargain for it.

Finally, I see a lot of well qualified students here vying for a masters and I really love that. But if your over all goal is to conduct independent research, I'd advice for to apply directly for a PhD. You don't necessarily need a masters to progress to a doctoral program in the US. This is very common in biological, chemical and physical sciences with a few exceptions in the Engineering sciences at some schools.

Please feel free to use Google to take note of the differences between R1 and R2 universities.

Cheers!!

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:02pm On Jun 19, 2020
Schrodinger1:

Yes, Bank statement. Despite my funding, UL Lafayette wants to see an SOA that is verified to be original as it would aid my I20 collection. I think an affidavit does that.
Thanks.

Check If the bank can stamp it or give u a supporting letter..... apart from that , I dont see how affidavit can validate a bank statement

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by 080seedorf: 4:08pm On Jun 19, 2020
Please i need an advice on this.

Since there is an emergency request and applicants for student F1 are inclusive.

What is the chances of requesting for an interview through this means?

I will be expecting a response
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by lillith: 5:06pm On Jun 19, 2020
A verified SOA simply means one stamped by the bank, had a friend who used such too and it was ok

Schrodinger1:

Yes, Bank statement. Despite my funding, UL Lafayette wants to see an SOA that is verified to be original as it would aid my I20 collection. I think an affidavit does that.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Mosminic(m): 5:24pm On Jun 19, 2020
080seedorf:
Please i need an advice on this.

Since there is an emergency request and applicants for student F1 are inclusive.

What is the chances of requesting for an interview through this means?

I will be expecting a response
Emergency request? If you're talking about the expedient visa interview option, yes it's possible but you need to have booked an appointment and the appointment date is probably not convenient. It's only possible when the embassy and the consulate are open.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by omomayelakesi: 6:08pm On Jun 19, 2020
The situation in India with respect to COVID-19 is a lot worse than Nigeria in terms of cases. However, two students from India who were admitted into the same doctoral program with me said they have gotten an earlier date through the expedited appointment option for second week of July.
The told me on the WhatsApp platform we created that the embassies in India are not open yet and the regular date available is October 3rd but when they used the expedited appointment option they got second week of July.
I'm confused. Can we also use this expedient option in Naija? There is no available date in Lagos and the earliest date in Abuja is November 3rd.

Bubu is not ready to allow international travel anytime soon.

@fairheart, Walspring, Just wise, Lagosismyhome please your suggestions will be of great help.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ZionSpecie(m): 7:08pm On Jun 19, 2020
Mosminic:

Emergency request? If you're talking about the expedient visa interview option, yes it's possible but you need to have booked an appointment and the appointment date is probably not convenient. It's only possible when the embassy and the consulate are open.

What if one is able to book a later date as in the present case of Abuja embassy? The poster above me also gave example of India that has worse covid case than Nigeria

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jun 19, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Check If the bank can stamp it or give u a supporting letter..... apart from that , I dont see how affidavit can validate a bank statement
I see, thank you very much.
@lillith
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 8:33pm On Jun 19, 2020
omomayelakesi:
The situation in India with respect to COVID-19 is a lot worse than Nigeria in terms of cases. However, two students from India who were admitted into the same doctoral program with me said they have gotten an earlier date through the expedited appointment option for second week of July.
The told me on the WhatsApp platform we created that the embassies in India are not open yet and the regular date available is October 3rd but when they used the expedited appointment option they got second week of July.
I'm confused. Can we also use this expedient option in Naija? There is no available date in Lagos and the earliest date in Abuja is November 3rd.

@fairheart, Walspring, Just wise, Lagosismyhome please your suggestions will be of great help.

Well, based on what a consular said in one of their press releases, it is stated that the Embassy understand students from Nigeria will need F1 visas. So, I believe they are looking into what can be done so that students can be interviewed and given visas. June don go already, so let's see what will happen in July. Also, given that Canada plan to resume processing study permit from next month, there's hope that the US embassy may follow--hopefully strictly for students.

As for international travel, I want you to know people are travelling outside Nigeria. I was told on a phone yesterday by a student on this thread that her friend who got her Canadian study permit travelled to Canada last Monday. According to her, Airpeace and Ethiopia Airline have an agreement to fly passenger from Nigeria to Togo, and then Ethiopia Airline pick them from there to their destination. So, I can assure you that even if embassy resume, say in July, there'll be flight to the US.
I don't know if they will grant you or other students expedient appointment, but you can try. You can lead the way, and if it works, other students will follow. grin

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Paragontek: 10:06pm On Jun 19, 2020
omomayelakesi:

Please, can I pm you?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by omomayelakesi: 10:46pm On Jun 19, 2020
Yes sure you can.

Paragontek:

Please, can I pm you?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by omomayelakesi: 10:47pm On Jun 19, 2020
Thank you fairheart.

fairheart:

Well, based on what a consular said in one of their press releases, it is stated that the Embassy understand students from Nigeria will need F1 visas. So, I believe they are looking into what can be done so that students can be interviewed and given visas. June don go already, so let's see what will happen in July. Also, given that Canada plan to resume processing study permit from next month, there's hope that the US embassy may follow--hopefully strictly for students.

As for international travel, I want you to know people are travelling outside Nigeria. I was told on a phone yesterday by a student on this thread that her friend who got her Canadian study permit travelled to Canada last Monday. According to her, Airpeace and Ethiopia Airline have an agreement to fly passenger from Nigeria to Togo, and then Ethiopia Airline pick them from there to their destination. So, I can assure you that even if embassy resume, say in July, there'll be flight to the US.
I don't know if they will grant you or other students expedient appointment, but you can try. You can lead the way, and if it works, other students will follow. grin

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Onyedika11(m): 4:03am On Jun 20, 2020
Please, I want to know if GRE testing centers have opened, anyone with such knowledge?

(1) (2) (3) ... (478) (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.