Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,962 members, 7,810,664 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:56 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (482) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1356506 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kevwemanuel: 8:56am On Jun 20, 2020
pdjohnson:
Hello,

For those who have been making enquiries as regarding full funding in STEM, I think this might be somewhat useful.

Firstly, like others have mentioned, most STEM disciplines "especially in the R1 university category" do fully fund their graduate students especially at the doctoral level. At the masters level this is some what rare, since a few programs do not really run a masters, this is very common in doctoral programs in the biological sciences and doctoral programs in schools of medicine. Masters programs are generally not automatically fully funded but one can still bargain for tuition remission and a form of stipend.

Also, in the R2 university category, since there is not a very high research activity, it's quite difficult for masters students to get funding, even some PhD students are not 'automatically'fully funded even in the stem, until they bargain for it.

Finally, I see a lot of well qualified students here vying for a masters and I really love that. But if your over all goal is to conduct independent research, I'd advice for to apply directly for a PhD. You don't necessarily need a masters to progress to a doctoral program in the US. This is very common in biological, chemical and physical sciences with a few exceptions in the Engineering sciences at some schools.

Please feel free to use Google to take note of the differences between R1 and R2 universities.

Cheers!!
Please what are the chances of getting admission and fully funded in a PhD programme with only BSc qualification. Kindly throw more light on it.

Can you give me one or more profiles of people that have achieved that before, such as:
1)BSc GPA
2)GRE score
3)work experience or lack of it
4)Research experience or lack of it
5)Kind of/Quality of LOR
6)Course admitted to
7)Profile of school admitted to
coolAny other thing significant.

Please any other person with adequate knowledge on this issue should kindly feel free to address it.

Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kevwemanuel: 9:09am On Jun 20, 2020
omomayelakesi:
The situation in India with respect to COVID-19 is a lot worse than Nigeria in terms of cases. However, two students from India who were admitted into the same doctoral program with me said they have gotten an earlier date through the expedited appointment option for second week of July.
The told me on the WhatsApp platform we created that the embassies in India are not open yet and the regular date available is October 3rd but when they used the expedited appointment option they got second week of July.
I'm confused. Can we also use this expedient option in Naija? There is no available date in Lagos and the earliest date in Abuja is November 3rd.

Bubu is not ready to allow international travel anytime soon.

@fairheart, Walspring, Just wise, Lagosismyhome please your suggestions will be of great help.

Hello bro,

Congrats on your PhD admission. Please I need a few information from you with regard to your profile before you got your admission. If it's ok by you, kindly divulge the following:
1)Previous highest qualification
2)GPA
3)GRE score
4)Course applied for
5)Ranking of school
6)Source of LOR
7)Previous research experience
coolDid you get full funding?
9)Any other thing you think might have facilitated your admission.

Thanks in advance as your response will go a long way to enable me think more strategically towards the PhD journey.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:17am On Jun 20, 2020
omomayelakesi:
The situation in India with respect to COVID-19 is a lot worse than Nigeria in terms of cases. However, two students from India who were admitted into the same doctoral program with me said they have gotten an earlier date through the expedited appointment option for second week of July.
The told me on the WhatsApp platform we created that the embassies in India are not open yet and the regular date available is October 3rd but when they used the expedited appointment option they got second week of July.
I'm confused. Can we also use this expedient option in Naija? There is no available date in Lagos and the earliest date in Abuja is November 3rd.

@fairheart, Walspring, Just wise, Lagosismyhome please your suggestions will be of great help.

There isnt any suggestion ANYBOY here can give at this time except for personal speculation.....

The reality is that you/we have to wait and see how the situation plays out officially

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by majiddele75: 11:48am On Jun 20, 2020
Onyedika11:
Please, I want to know if GRE testing centers have opened, anyone with such knowledge?
Someone I registered for wrote his last week.
So yes centers are opened.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by majiddele75: 11:51am On Jun 20, 2020
Can someone suggest schools that would give free funding for the below profile of a client..
“3.5/5 gpa. and 306 in his gre exam”
Looking for an economics related course in the US thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stevenssen(m): 12:15pm On Jun 20, 2020
It seems what consulates are waiting for is Trump's new Executive Order which will further restrict some visas for few months. It might be announced this weekend and if what I've read is true, then F1 won't be restricted.
Hopefully the consulates can resume F1 processing after that or at least announce their plans.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Summertime: 1:49pm On Jun 20, 2020
Greetings bro, Pls I intend on Applying to University of Houston too. I need your help with some questions on concerning the application process. Can I reach you on whatsapp or Mail or any medium, thanks
nayo10:
Good day guys, please I need advice on some certain issue, I got an admission at University of Houston, we did a zoom meeting today about the course, the department is proposing we enrol online and start classes while we wait for embassy to open. So my question is can I start classes online pending the time embassy open without paying tuition due to the risk of the visa. Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by greenskittles: 2:34pm On Jun 20, 2020
omomayelakesi:

Interesting that they were even able to get dates, because on the ustraveldocs website what I'm seeing is "no dates available". What about you?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Adwoa816: 3:30pm On Jun 20, 2020
Please my sister did Bsc. Mathematics with Business and had a GPA of 2.0 out of 4.0..i would like to know some of USA universities where she can get an admission to study Msc. Mathematics. She had 138 in the quantitative part of the GRE.
Please help me out.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solastar2: 4:00pm On Jun 20, 2020
Adwoa816:
Please my sister did Bsc. Mathematics with Business and had a GPA of 2.0 out of 4.0..i would like to know some of USA universities where she can get an admission to study Msc. Mathematics. She had 138 in the quantitative part of the GRE.
Please help me out.

138 in quantitative for any Mathematics based course is too low IMO. That won't speak good of her. She should rather write GRE again and aim for higher Q score

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pdjohnson: 4:56pm On Jun 20, 2020
Adwoa816:
Please help me out.

Hello dear, Though it maybe worthwhile retaking the GRE test if she's interested in bargaining for funding. Nonetheless there are tons of school that will admit her into an Msc. most mid-tier programs will admit he, though without funding. Some programs are also willing to waive the GRE for Msc applicants. It may also be worthwhile to know her verbal score and TOEFL score if need be, if she has a good score in the later, I believe she could be considered for funding.

Also research has shown that the GRE is not a good judge of success in graduate school, as a result a lot of programs are waiving this.

I will name a few universities she might consider applying to
Iupui
Ohio university
Sju
But she might want to do more research on her own and also consider contactinh the graduate coordinator.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by majiddele75: 5:01pm On Jun 20, 2020
solastar2:

138 in quantitative for any Mathematics based course is too low IMO. That won't speak good of her. She should rather write GRE again and aim for higher Q score
Wow
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pdjohnson: 5:40pm On Jun 20, 2020
kevwemanuel:

Please what are the chances of getting admission and fully funded in a PhD programme with only BSc qualification. Kindly throw more light on it.

Can you give me one or more profiles of people that have achieved that before, such as:
1)BSc GPA
2)GRE score
3)work experience or lack of it
4)Research experience or lack of it
5)Kind of/Quality of LOR
6)Course admitted to
7)Profile of school admitted to
coolAny other thing significant.

Please any other person with adequate knowledge on this issue should kindly feel free to address it.

Thanks.

Hello there are many schools that will admit you into a PhD directly from a bachelor's degree. In fact most domestic students admitted into a doctoral program are admitted based off of a bachelor's degree. While a stellar cgpa, more work and/or research experience can be very helpful. It's more important to know your research or have a well defined research interest and ensure that the programs you're applying to fits well with your research interest. I'll name a few programs that do this n/b most programs that I'm aware of allow direct admission into a PhD from a bachelor's honours.

Please check the following (GRE not required)

Brown molecular biology cell biology and biochemistry PhD
https://www.brown.edu/graduateprograms/biomed-molecular-biology-cell-biology-and-biochemistry-phd

Purdue biology department PhD https://www.bio.purdue.edu/Academic/graduate/graduate_faq.html

Yale PMB trach... Biology and Biomedical sciences department.

John Hopkins University (Jhu) cell and molecular biology https://cmdb.jhu.edu/admissions/

Ohio State University MCDB PhD (GRE is optional)
https://mcdb.osu.edu/admission

You might be considering the fact that these programs are top programs (and yes they are at least in the top 50) and you may also feel like you may need several good publications and stuff. While all this maybe some what helpful, do not let it deter you from applying.
You might be shocked at the outcome.

Please feel free to dm me as regarding your specific questions

Please also check Harvard MCO department
Oops what about Cornell.

Sorry I've been very restricted to programs in the biological sciences because that's my interest.

I hope this helps!
Cheers.

P. S. Though can be helpful, having publications, a masters, perfect GRE scores, a stellar cgpa and stuff is not at all required for admission into PhD programs in the US.
The question is: can you talk research??

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Fabuloski(m): 9:57pm On Jun 20, 2020
pdjohnson:

Hello there are many schools that will admit you into a PhD directly from a bachelor's degree. In fact most domestic students admitted into a doctoral program are admitted based off of a bachelor's degree. While a stellar cgpa, more work and/or research experience can be very helpful. It's more important to know your research or have a well defined research interest and ensure that the programs you're applying to fits well with your research interest. I'll name a few programs that do this n/b most programs that I'm aware of allow direct admission into a PhD from a bachelor's honours.

https://www.brown.edu/graduateprograms/biomed-molecular-biology-cell-biology-and-biochemistry-phd

Purdue biology department PhD https://www.bio.purdue.edu/Academic/graduate/graduate_faq.html

John Hopkins University (Jhu) cell and molecular biology https://cmdb.jhu.edu/admissions/

You might be considering the fact that these programs are top programs (and yes they are at least in the top 50) and you may also feel like you may need several good publications and stuff. While all this maybe some what helpful, do not let it deter you from applying.

Oops what about Cornell.

Sorry I've been very restricted to programs in the biological sciences because that's my interest.

I hope this helps!
Cheers.

P. S. Though can be helpful, having publications, a masters, perfect GRE scores, a stellar cgpa and stuff is not at all required for admission into PhD programs in the US.

This is a detailed explanation but I don't have any publication. I studied Industrial Chemistry and ideally I would have prefer to go for health informatics for my masters but then, funding is the first thing.
when I say funding, I meant fully funded program, so that makes my specialization flexible for now, I don't know what you can advise me to do?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pdjohnson: 10:29pm On Jun 20, 2020
Fabuloski:

This is a detailed explanation but I don't have any publication. I studied Industrial Chemistry and ideally I would have prefer to go for health informatics for my masters but then, funding is the first thing.
when I say funding, I meant fully funded program, so that makes my specialization flexible for now, I don't know what you can advise me to do?

Hello sir, do not despair! Generally speaking getting an automatical fully funded offer for a masters is kind of difficult. Most programs will promise you some form of assistantship once you have enrolled for the first semwster,and this is about the best they can offer. There are a few programs that might fully fund a special masters student, but this can be contingent on a PI who is interested in having the said student in a research group via a form of grant.
I am speaking with specific reference to students in the STEM disciplines. So sir you might want to consider contacting a few PI's in the graduate programs you're interested in, do ensure you read-up and understand the research ongoing in the group, read-up on recent publications and stuff and try to succinctly and professionally cite the papers you read (I believe you should be familiar with reading literature s).Though this is absolutely not necessary, it is an unstated rule that might make a PI advocate for your admission and funding.There is also a certainty that not all PI's will respond favorably if at all they respond. But do your home work, be persistent and consistent, I believe you can make it!

P. S. You don't need a publication to be offered a PhD spot. And I feel like Industrial chemistry is a very nice field, you can as well diversify into areas of bioinformatics,chemical informatics and stuff.
If your overall goal is to do a PhD, you can start working on your research experience and try refining your research interest in so much that you know your stuff.

please feel free to ask your questions, a lot of people here are willing to help.

Cheers!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 10:55pm On Jun 20, 2020
Bro did you really read or comprehend what was written? How is a 2.0 gpa out of 4.0 a stellar cgpa? I'm also wondering why such a person would want to even pursue an MSc in math when it's clear she does not have the chops for it. The most mediocre and incompetent math major should score nothing less than 155 on the quant segment of GRE, and that is even being generous. A 138 on the quant segment of GRE shows that she should not do anything related to upper-level mathematics. GRE quant is not even the real mathematics that math majors are exposed to; it is basic elementary math stuff.

pdjohnson:

Hello dear, I'm very excited to hear about your sisters cgpa. Though it maybe worthwhile retaking the GRE test if she's interested in bargaining for funding. Nonetheless there are tons of school that will admit her into an Msc. most mid-tier programs will admit her based off of her stellar cgpa and moderate letters of recommendation though without funding. Some programs are also willing to waive the GRE for Msc applicants. It may also be worthwhile to know her verbal score and TOEFL score if need be, if she has a good score in the later, I believe she could be considered for funding.

Also research has shown that the GRE is not a good judge of success in graduate school, as a result a lot of programs are waiving this.

I will name a few universities she might consider applying to
Iupui
Ohio university
Sju
But she might want to do more research on her own and also consider contactinh the graduate coordinator.

Hope this helps.

10 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kevwemanuel: 10:57pm On Jun 20, 2020
Thanks alot for your response. It was helpful. You gave some useful links for some core science programs. Do you, by chance have similar links to Economics related programs?
pdjohnson:

Oops what about Cornell.

I hope this helps!
Cheers.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by majiddele75: 11:36pm On Jun 20, 2020
kastgeraldino:
Bro did you really read or comprehend what was written? How is a 2.0 gpa out of 4.0 a stellar cgpa? I'm also wondering why such a person would want to even pursue an MSc in math when it's clear she does not have the chops for it. The most mediocre and incompetent math major should score nothing less than 155 on the quant segment of GRE, and that is even being generous. A 138 on the quant segment of GRE shows that she should not do anything related to upper-level mathematics. GRE quant is not even the real mathematics that math majors are exposed to; it is basic elementary math stuff.
I was baffled
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Onyedika11(m): 11:47pm On Jun 20, 2020
Thank you
majiddele75:

Someone I registered for wrote his last week.
So yes centers are opened.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ugohdignity111(m): 11:53pm On Jun 20, 2020
Hey guys.....

Which program can a graduate of zoology and environmental biology take for masters degree in the US with the offer of full or partial funding....

Graduated with a cgpa of 3.80/5.0

Currently waiting for nysc as I'm planning to go with batch B anytime, they start.

Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Epithet: 11:58pm On Jun 20, 2020
Recent post(s) asking for school suggestion, just to summarize. You could start the simple search online. But to make reference to a few links. 1.Google "Msinus" and read the section of schools according to GRE scores.
2. Google "Gradcafe results" and then search in the Tab specifics to your course. Click on profiles to estimate what school is a fair selection. Gpa's are on the 4 point scale. Go onto "wes igpa free converter" to convert the GPA on a 4 point scale.
3. Check Twitter, advertised positions for graduate schools are on there.
4. Check USnews for school lists and then go to the school website(s) to see research interest and requirements.(A lot of questions about requirements, they are school specific so detail that individually for each school).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 11:59pm On Jun 20, 2020
Ace the GRE and go for a PhD program. Most Masters program come as part of a PhD program, and that's why a PhD in the US is for at least 5 years. So if you drop out of the PhD program and you meet the requirements of an MSc (mostly after 2 years), you would be given an MSc.

ugohdignity111:
Hey guys.....

Which program can a graduate of zoology and environmental biology take for masters degree in the US with the offer of full or partial funding....

Currently waiting for nysc as I'm planning to go with batch B anytime, they start.

Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pdjohnson: 5:04am On Jun 21, 2020
kastgeraldino:

Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't really properly gleam the GPA part!
But yeah I think she might stand a chance for an MSc despite that. Though she might want to consider retaking the GRE test.
Thanks for pointing this out!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pdjohnson: 5:22am On Jun 21, 2020
ugohdignity111:
Hey guys.....

Thanks.

Hello sir, I think you could go directly for a PhD since you're in the biological sciences. A PhD in ecology and environmental biology (EEB) can be useful. Though you might want to gauge your interest and experience in this field prior to applying.
Hope this helps
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 5:56am On Jun 21, 2020
I completely disagree concerning her doing an MSc in math. She can do an MSc in something that is not quantitatively related. A 2.0 out 4.0 shows that she barely graduated; she is not remotely talented in math. I would not even advise someone with a 3.0/4.0 to go for an MSc in math. Math at the higher level is theoretical and proof-based. Calculus does not even qualify as math in my book; it's just elementary stuff. There is no way on earth or on any other planet that someone with a 2.0 and 138 GRE quant can know what is happening in a real math class. Anyone who loves her would tell her to look for another career since she apparently has no self awareness.

pdjohnson:

Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't really properly gleam the GPA part!
But yeah I think she might stand a chance for an MSc despite that. Though she might want to consider retaking the GRE test.
Thanks for pointing this out!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 7:58am On Jun 21, 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by greenskittles: 9:25am On Jun 21, 2020
Adwoa816:
Please help me out.
Most schools need a minimum of 3.0 for admission, in special cases, 2.5. She might need to retake some relevant courses at a community college or a university as a non-degree seeking student, and then score better on the GRE. It'll be very hard to find a university with those stats, and if you eventually do, make sure that it's not a diploma mill with an unaccredited program and/or low quality content.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by greenskittles: 9:27am On Jun 21, 2020
Stevenssen:
It seems what consulates are waiting for is Trump's new Executive Order which will further restrict some visas for few months. It might be announced this weekend and if what I've read is true, then F1 won't be restricted.
Hopefully the consulates can resume F1 processing after that or at least announce their plans.

Yup. Trump gave an interview to Fox News:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6166043513001#sp=show-clips

(Watch from 4:32 onwards) saying the executive order would be coming tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. So everyone should buckle up.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by lasthero: 10:37am On Jun 21, 2020
Adwoa816:
Please help me out.

Cc muleriders

He seem to have counselling and assistant skills for this kind of situation. cheesy

I think she can get admission into a private or not too ranked public schools. What's the total GRE score?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mvem(m): 1:01pm On Jun 21, 2020
greenskittles:

Yup. Trump gave an interview to Fox News:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6166043513001#sp=show-clips

(Watch from 4:32 onwards) saying the executive order would be coming tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. So everyone should buckle up.
the executive order is on H1B visa
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by obajoey(m): 6:12pm On Jun 21, 2020
Never say never.
If I am the person receiving your kind of advice, I will take it as a challenge and do everything possible to prove you wrong.
Your advice should be what the person can do to scale up.
Many in the past who took your kind of advice as a challenge most times had a happy ending.

Peace.

kastgeraldino:
I completely disagree concerning her doing an MSc in math. She can do an MSc in something that is not quantitatively related. A 2.0 out 4.0 shows that she barely graduated; she is not remotely talented in math. I would not even advise someone with a 3.0/4.0 to go for an MSc in math. Math at the higher level is theoretical and proof-based. Calculus does not even qualify as math in my book; it's just elementary stuff. There is no way on earth or on any other planet that someone with a 2.0 and 138 GRE quant can know what is happening in a real math class. Anyone who loves her would tell her to look for another career since she apparently has no self awareness.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Emeritusseun(m): 6:33pm On Jun 21, 2020
obajoey:
Never say never.
If I am the person receiving your kind of advice, I will take it as a challenge and do everything possible to prove you wrong.
Your advice should be what the person can do to scale up.
Many in the past who took your kind of advice as a challenge most times have a happy ending.

Peace.

You have said the right thing. Never say never.

https://medium.com/@youngladesh/how-i-got-4-ph-d-offers-in-the-us-with-a-cgpa-2-79-and-what-can-you-learn-from-it-5f460e6bfbb1

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.