Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,665 members, 7,820,337 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (491) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1362870 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iWise(m): 6:17pm On Jun 29, 2020
Topiipii:

Entry scores are usually lower than 320, that should tell you a lot about the number of applicants scoring that high. I did an exhaustive search of this a while back for Electrical Engineering, less than 25 of the top 164 schools in my list requested for GRE scores >= 320 and they're all in the top 30 ranking.
I know mean is not a reliable measure and so does every person who has taken an intro class in statistics. I wanted to comment earlier about skewed data, but it will only lead to more argument. If the minimum score is 130 and the average score is 144.9 and 145.8, what percentage of people can you assume scored above 320?

P.S. Of course, it is trivial. Are we supposed to be exhibiting our statistical prowess here?

I'm not exactly arguing with you, i just needed you to provide clarity on why you made that assumption.

On a different note, it might interest you to know that there are departments in schools outside the so called "top 30 rank" with scores atleast equally as high. I know a certain university which runs a certain program with more than 80% of its intake last fall scoring above 320.

PS. The basis for the initial discourse was that the instigator claimed that a score of 320 is unusual for Nigerians. Having noticed that his objective was to cast Nigerians as inferior to some other people, I then provided the rebuttal that, based on the data he provided, a score of 320 is unsual for any country that takes part in the test thereby rendering his claim trivial.

This discussion hardly qualifies as exhibiting "statistical prowess".
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Topiipii(m): 6:43pm On Jun 29, 2020
sheke01:

apologies for the snide remarks
No worries.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Topiipii(m): 7:01pm On Jun 29, 2020
iWise:

I'm not exactly arguing with you, i just needed you to provide clarity on why you made that assumption.

On a different note, it might interest you to know that there are departments in schools outside the so called "top 30 rank" with scores atleast equally as high. I know a certain university which runs a certain program with more than 80% of its intake last fall scoring above 320.
It's definitely possible, my list was strictly based on ECE and its ranking, some of those schools rank outside the top 30 overall.

iWise:
PS. The basis for the initial discourse was that the instigator claimed that a score of 320 is unusual for Nigerians. Having noticed that his objective was to cast Nigerians as inferior to some other people, I then provided the rebuttal that, based on the data he provided, a score of 320 is unusual for any country that takes part in the test thereby rendering his claim trivial.

This discussion hardly qualifies as exhibiting "statistical prowess".
We seem to be on the same page even though my comments were limited to Nigerian scores. You're right in your rebuttal, unfortunately GRE still doesn't release percentiles for the overall score.
As for the inferior comments, I don't like it too when people make comments like that. It reminds of Nigerian recruiters who like to claim that our graduates are not employable.
I wish our scores are higher though, it seems to get worse every time the report is released.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Paragontek: 8:07pm On Jun 29, 2020
Local flights to commence immediately.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by GiftyDiamond: 10:38pm On Jun 29, 2020
bayocanny:

New one or renewal?
I renew my passport last week here in makurdi and I got it same day.
if you need the stuff urgently you can come down to makurdi to get it, very fast, zero population.

Please can I correct mistake on passport and what's the process like.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gerrard59(m): 11:03pm On Jun 29, 2020
greenskittles:

GRE: 166Q 162V 4.5AWA
TOEFL: 112/120 (27 Speaking 29 Listening 28 Reading 28 Writing)
Undergraduate GPA: (4.69/5.0)
Other awards: Best Graduating Student in Civil Engineering (Stanford asked for my performance relative to my peers, if available)
Extra Curricular activities: Chess Team captain
LORs: One from Deputy Provost, One from another Civil Lecturer (PhD holder), One from industry mentor
Other Skills: C++, MATLAB and Python programming
Work Experience: 1 year
Research Experience: Next to none (other than final year project)

Accepted: Stanford University(with funding), UIUC (with funding), University of Washington, University of Arizona
Rejected: Northwestern University

I had to login and quote this. Well done, you did well.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gerrard59(m): 11:38pm On Jun 29, 2020
Honestly, with those scores I saw eh, black people will find it hard to win a Nobel prize in the science category. GMAT is worse sef, no wonder plenty black people no dey top companies' management teams.

Sorry for digressing but those stats are way too appalling. embarassed
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 11:46pm On Jun 29, 2020
The matter has been settled. You are really going off point. What GRE verbal is trying to test is different from what TOEFL/IELTS tests. Besides do you think native English speakers will always have perfect scores in language tests like TOEFL or IELTS? Americans struggle in GRE verbal too. But then no need to keep going on about the issue. It is settled
Gerrard59:

It is poor oh embarassed embarassed Upon the mouth making Nigerians do online? There is an urgent need to improve math pedagogy and the verbal scores prove my point that Nigerians must not get waiver for the IELTS/TOEFL. Never! Our people must write them!

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sexylassie2(f): 11:57pm On Jun 29, 2020
sonofakin:
The matter has been settled. You are really going off point. What GRE verbal is trying to test is different from what TOEFL/IELTS tests. Besides do you think native English speakers will always have perfect scores in language tests like TOEFL or IELTS? Americans struggle in GRE verbal too. But then no need to keep going on about the issue. It is settled

this is what they wrote

Unsurprisingly, those in English-speaking countries (Canada and the US) perform better on Verbal and Analytical Writing than those in other countries. This makes sense. It’s much easier to do well on a test of your language skills in your native language!

You may also note that in many of these countries, the average Quant score is higher than the US average. Only Saudi Arabia and Nigeria scored lower.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sexylassie2(f): 12:02am On Jun 30, 2020
Gerrard59:
Honestly, with those scores I saw eh, black people will find it hard to win a Nobel prize in the science category. GMAT is worse sef, no wonder plenty black people no dey top companies' management teams.

I read something about IQ Test and they say the average IQ test of Nigerians is 70, this also below the average..this is disturbing.

btw after reading, the average gre scores, I feel so depressed, blacks both africans and american blacks scored the lowest among all races in th test
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by streetMic(m): 12:05am On Jun 30, 2020
Greetings my people. I say make I drop in fast fast wish every visa and admission applicant all the best! You can do it! It will work out. If den deny your visa, refire!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gerrard59(m): 12:22am On Jun 30, 2020
sexylassie2:

I read something about IQ Test and they say the average IQ test of Nigerians is 70, this also below the average..this is disturbing.

btw after reading, the average gre scores, I feel so depressed, blacks both africans and american blacks scored the lowest among all races in th test

Just to buttress it, the only black dominated countries that had quant scores circa 150 are South Africa, Ethiopia and Sudan. Meanwhile, most Asian countries had quant scores above 150 with tiny red dot Singapore having scores above 162. If I talk, I would be accused of elongating a debate. But hey, what do I know? Probably ETS & GMAC are racists. grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wura21: 12:28am On Jun 30, 2020
hybeenoni:

You guys aiming for Mathematics/Statistics should through an application to Texas Tech, with a nice GRE score, your funding is almost certain

@hybeenoni, please what about in Economics? Paying application fee of $75 during this Covid 19 is not a joke. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 12:32am On Jun 30, 2020
Gerrard59:

Maybe YOU should post a screenshot of your GRE score.

What has GRE got to do with Nobel prize?? GRE is not a true measure of intelligence. A 4hours exam that can be easily mastered if one choose to invest time and effort. The question is always the same style every year.

Yes; it’s important to do your best in other to stand out, but you guys should stop talking as if Nigerians are intellectually incapable because of ETS Data. The variables that goes into taking and acing GRE as a Nigerian is way more than that of an average student in a developed country.

When you write about how “appalling” the scores are; think about how hard it is for most student to pay for this exam, how they had to travel in Lagos traffic to work and come back tired in the night to study for the exam.

8 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 12:34am On Jun 30, 2020
Gerrard59:

Just to buttress it, the only black dominated countries that had quant scores circa 150 are South Africa, Ethiopia and Sudan. Meanwhile, most Asian countries had quant scores above 150 with tiny red dot Singapore having scores above 162. If I talk, I would be accused of elongating a debate. But hey, what do I know? Probably ETS & GMAC are racists. grin
Can’t find the paper right now; but there is a research paper on how skewed the test is, against people of color.

The report gained some attention, ETS had to address it https://www.ets.org/gre/institutions/admissions/using_scores/underrepresented/
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sexylassie2(f): 12:36am On Jun 30, 2020
Gerrard59:

LOL, i always know everything is wrong with our educational systems especially when people retake foreign test like 3 or 5 times till they pass.

Anyway, statistics does not lie, we need to improve our educational system for better scores and also nutrition for good brain development.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gerrard59(m): 12:38am On Jun 30, 2020
iwriterng:
Can’t find the paper right now; but there is a research paper on how skewed the test it, against people of color

Before you find it, please know that Asians are also classified as people of colour. wink

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sexylassie2(f): 12:39am On Jun 30, 2020
iwriterng:

What has GRE got to do with Nobel prize?? GRE is not a true measure of intelligence. A 4hours exam that can be easily mastered if one choose to invest time and effort. The question is always the same style every year.

Yes; it’s important to do your best in other to stand out, but you guys should stop talking as if Nigerians are intellectually incapable because of ETS Data. The variables that goes into taking and acing GRE as a Nigerian is way more than that of an average student in a developed country.

When you write about how “appalling” the scores are; think about how hard it is for most student to pay for this exam, how they had to travel in Lagos traffic to work and come back tired in the night to study for the exam.

GRE Test measures intelligence

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 12:43am On Jun 30, 2020
Gerrard59:

Before you find it, please know that Asians are also classified as people of colour. wink

Sigh... Factor Asian performance on Verbal section to your argument as well. It’s no secret that Asians have great aptitude for maths. This is also well documented.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 12:43am On Jun 30, 2020
sexylassie2:

GRE Test measures intelligence

No, it’s not. Standardized tests are not designed to be a true test of intelligence.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sexylassie2(f): 12:44am On Jun 30, 2020
iwriterng:
Can’t find the paper right now; but there is a research paper on how skewed the test is, against people of color.

The report gained some attention, ETS had to address it https://www.ets.org/gre/institutions/admissions/using_scores/underrepresented/

every test black people score low is always skewed, so which test is the best for black people? grin

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gerrard59(m): 12:45am On Jun 30, 2020
iwriterng:

I am not ETS, take your wahala to them. I am concerned about the poor scores from predominantly black countries and last I checked, Nigeria is not the only poor country where her citizens take the GRE. Regarding my linkage between GRE & Nobel Prize, attaining a good score can get one into a top school like we have seen. The probability of winning a Nobel in the science category is high when one attends/conducts research in top universities, so yes, getting a high GRE score has link to winning Nobel prizes (science category).

https://www.nairaland.com/3937181/why-there-been-no-black

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 12:50am On Jun 30, 2020
sexylassie2:

every test black people score low is always skewed, so which test is the best for black people? grin

None. Because excelling in school or in a test isn’t just about the test day.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sexylassie2(f): 12:50am On Jun 30, 2020
iwriterng:

No, it’s not. Standardized tests are not designed to be a true test of intelligence.

So what tests are designed to measure true test of intelligence? Test generally test intelligence

Lets be logical, if in Gre test, Black people scored low, do you think they will perform better if they are given a test that measures their intelligence?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gerrard59(m): 12:52am On Jun 30, 2020
iwriterng:

Sigh... Factor Asian performance on Verbal section to your argument as well. It’s no secret that Asians have great aptitude for maths. This is also well documented.

Verbal reasoning can be forgiven because English is not the official language of most countries meanwhile math is a universal subject. Besides and hilarious enough, these Asian nations had higher verbal scores than African countries where English is the lingua franca. For instance, Japan had a higher score than Nigeria in verbal reasoning. grin That said, nothing stops predominantly black countries to improve in math.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 12:53am On Jun 30, 2020
Gerrard59:

I am not ETS, take your wahala to them. I am concerned about the poor scores from predominantly black countries and last I checked, Nigeria is not the only poor country where her citizens take the GRE. Regarding my linkage between GRE & Nobel Prize, attaining a good score can get one into a top school like we have seen. The probability of winning a Nobel in the science category is high when one attends/conducts research in top universities, so yes, getting a high GRE score has link to winning Nobel prizes (science category).

https://www.nairaland.com/3937181/why-there-been-no-black

Please, share your GRE score. It might interest you to know that most top universities are dropping GRE. In the end; graduate education has very little to do with acing exams; which is what GRE is all about.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sexylassie2(f): 12:54am On Jun 30, 2020
iwriterng:

None. Because excelling in school or in a test isn’t just about the test day.

i dont understand you. Most of the noble prize winners were top in their classes, they wrote tests and those tests showed they were gifted that is why much attention were given to them.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gerrard59(m): 12:55am On Jun 30, 2020
sexylassie2:

So what tests are designed to measure true test of intelligence? Test generally test intelligence

Lets be logical, if in Gre test, Black people scored low, do you think they will perform better if they are given a test that measures their intelligence?

Tests are racists! Cancel tests! Tests perpetuate racial discrimination. grin

Although schools are waiving the GRE, good luck to aspiring students to get funding in a hyper competitive department without test scores. Worse still citizens from the poorest continent and country with the highest number of poor people in the world.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 12:57am On Jun 30, 2020
sexylassie2:

Test isn’t a TRUE measure of intelligence.

Let me give you an exam; I wrote the GRE twice.

First time; I travelled to Abuja by road, sat for 8hours in a bus and took the test the next day; sitting for another 4hours. I did poorly. That’s not a true test of my ability to ace the test.

Second time; I took it in Lagos, slept well the night before, and did well on the second attempt. Hopefully that gives you an idea of why standardized test is not a TRUE test of intelligence. It’s just a 4hours run, people with long attention span will do well, that doesn’t mean those with short attention span are not smart.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.