Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (517) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1364623 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) (520) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 8:00pm On Jul 19, 2020
If they prioritize F1 in Nigeria, it is still a lot.

sonofakin:
They prioritized F-1 in the few countries where they reopened
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 8:01pm On Jul 19, 2020
Eniolakiite:
US embassies in Nigeria will open when they feel it is safe for their workers. And maybe when Nigeria opens its airspace.
It is well.

So do you still think people should go ahead and pay Sevis fee or are you still thinking the expiry of unallocated SEVIS will be extended?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 8:05pm On Jul 19, 2020
Yes

kastgeraldino:
Don't allow anyone defraud you or put you into trouble. You can't get SSN from outside the US.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Taal17: 8:29pm On Jul 19, 2020
PriboD:

Thank you for the update. Please can you help with how I can book a VISA appointment because on their website after I filled the form and submitted. A prompt came up that " There are no appointment dates available". Although I chose the Lagos consulate in my DS-160 form. I called their Customer care line and the man that answered me said "for student visas, I should get the email from their site and send them a request to book an appointment for and expedient VISA." I checked the website he asked me to visit but I did not see any email address on their page. What should I do now?

Sir,

There are only 3 or 4 basic emails for Lagos consulate which I got from their site

If your inquiry concerns a nonimmigrant visa case, please send your email to LagosNIV@state.gov
If your inquiry concerns an immigrant visa case, please send your email to LagosIV@state.gov
If your inquiry concerns American Citizen Services, please send your email to LagosACS@state.gov
If your inquiry concerns a student visa, please send your email to LagosStudentVisas@state.gov

Just put subject as EXPEDIT VISA APPOINTMENT
The body of the mail should just have your specific details (no story like you put up here) . Pls dont mention anything about stipends or SSN .
State your name , school details course and your spring resumption and request expedite . If they need more information they will ask

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/index.html

Or scroll down the page above , there is a link there for expedite appointment
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 8:42pm On Jul 19, 2020
Yes it is a lot. But in any country where they reopen, they will only operate based on their capacity, getting appointment dates will be a competition. Not everyone will get a date that suits them, some people will still have to defer or start online. They reopened in Korea, I'm sure they have more yearly F-1 applicants than Nigeria
Eniolakiite:
If they prioritize F1 in Nigeria, it is still a lot.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 9:13pm On Jul 19, 2020
Interesting

Let's hope they open soon in Nigeria. Anything can still happen.

sonofakin:
Yes it is a lot. But in any country where they reopen, they will only operate based on their capacity, getting appointment dates will be a competition. Not everyone will get a date that suits them, some people will still have to defer or start online. They reopened in Korea, I'm sure they have more yearly F-1 applicants than Nigeria
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sheke01: 10:29pm On Jul 19, 2020
When I said incoming Nigerian students should forget about visa for Fall, people accuse me of trying to deprive people of their optimism.

Nigerians take things to heart without proper evaluation. The moment Covid 19 started, Bill Gates and dem dem prophesied doom for Africa. Do you all think Americans believe the low Covid 19 cases coming out of Africa. Hell NO

You have an anti immigration POTUS that is claiming he has done a GRE AT job handling Covid 19 and that the US has lots of cases because they are doing more test. He's implying that other countries (shit hole countries) are not reporting lot of cases because they are not even testing.

The same POTUS banned Nigeria from immigration visas last year and you think he will send his agents to reopen embassy in Nigeria just like that.

The problem is the POTUS and his administration doesn't believe in the numbers coming out of Nigeria and Africa in general.

Sadly Nigeria can afford to keep its international airspace closed. The minister of education already said he is ok with school children missing one full academic year and priviledged Nigerians are flying international even with the closed airspace (as am speaking, a chartered airplane just left MM2 for Toronto with Nigerian-Canadians and Nigerians with Canadian permanent residency). If the current rubbish continues, spring semester ain't even sure for Nigerians

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by UmmZayd: 11:48pm On Jul 19, 2020
Hmmmmm
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 4:39am On Jul 20, 2020
Sheke01: your argument looks quite constructive up there, especially the 1st three paragraphs.

However, in my opinion, the major reason for the closure of the embassy is not unconnected to the rising cases of Covid-19 in Nigeria.

This is evident once you compare our case with that of nations like Jamaica, Bermuda, Seychelles and the South korea where routine visa services have started. Their combined figures is actually less than 50% of ours. Fingers crossed. Things could turn around.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:33am On Jul 20, 2020
sheke01:
When I said incoming Nigerian students should forget about visa for Fall, people accuse me of trying to deprive people of their optimism.

Nigerians take things to heart without proper evaluation. The moment Covid 19 started, Bill Gates and dem dem prophesied doom for Africa. Do you all think Americans believe the low Covid 19 cases coming out of Africa. Hell NO

You have an anti immigration POTUS that is claiming he has done a GRE AT job handling Covid 19 and that the US has lots of cases because they are doing more test. He's implying that other countries (shit hole countries) are not reporting lot of cases because they are not even testing.

The same POTUS banned Nigeria from immigration visas last year and you think he will send his agents to reopen embassy in Nigeria just like that.

The problem is the POTUS and his administration doesn't believe in the numbers coming out of Nigeria and Africa in general.

Sadly Nigeria can afford to keep its international airspace closed. The minister of education already said he is ok with school children missing one full academic year and priviledged Nigerians are flying international even with the closed airspace (as am speaking, a chartered airplane just left MM2 for Toronto with Nigerian-Canadians and Nigerians with Canadian permanent residency). If the current rubbish continues, spring semester ain't even sure for Nigerians

One rule for the masses another rule for the rich or other people ..... Nigeria international airspace is closed yet Omotola showing on Instagram. Her husband flying her kids in from outside Naija with private jet . Openly flaunting it. Nigeria we hail thee

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 7:30am On Jul 20, 2020
sheke01:

while I agree with some of your points. I don't think POTUS has anything to do directly with the current embassy status.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 7:34am On Jul 20, 2020
Schrodinger1:
Sheke01: your argument looks quite constructive up there, especially the 1st three paragraphs.

However, in my opinion, the major reason for the closure of the embassy is not unconnected to the rising cases of Covid-19 in Nigeria.

This is evident once you compare our case with that of nations like Jamaica, Bermuda, Seychelles and the South korea where routine visa services have started. Their combined figures is actually less than 50% of ours. Fingers crossed. Things could turn around.
China and India has not opened too. I was thinking they'd even let them open due to the money they make yearly from their F-1 applicants. If those guys don't open, I don't think Nigeria would.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by UhnNah: 10:44am On Jul 20, 2020
Friedpotato:
China and India has not opened too. I was thinking they'd even let them open due to the money they make yearly from their F-1 applicants. If those guys don't open, I don't think Nigeria would.

As you’ve said up there,opening of embassy has nothing to do with trump! It is the DHS that controls that! And in this covid situation,it’s for the embassy to report the local situation in the country they’re in to DHS and they can get the go ahead to open!

2 things delaying the embassy is the Nigerian airspace that’s still closed (They mentioned it in an interview they did on their FB page) and the numbers of the covid situation in Nigeria! Airspace will open soon and they will have to work around the later,maybe applicants will get tested before traveling,self isolate on arrival,stuff like that! We just have to work around it!

And why is anybody not mentioning that America itself is just starting to get some relief from covid?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Justochi: 12:14pm On Jul 20, 2020
[b][/b][i][/i]My mail to the Lagos Consular and response from them this afternoon:

Dear U.S. Consular,

I am a doctoral (PhD) student of the Department of Economics, University of New Hampshire, to resume this Fall. I was given a Graduate Assistant (GA) job and I am expected to resume on the 11th of August, 2020, which is also the date for the commencement of classes.

I, therefore, kindly request an emergency Visa appointment to enable me to start up the program and the job appointment.

Thanks.

Lagos EmergencyLagosNIV
11:41 AM (31 minutes ago)
to me

Hello,

At this time the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos is closed to student visa operations. In a time of routine operations, applicants can apply for expedited appointments, to "skip the line" so to speak. As we are closed, there is no line to skip. The U.S. Consulate will publicize any announcement on the resumption of student visa interviews once information is available.

Respectfully,
Lagos Visa Unit

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by saintexcel: 3:55pm On Jul 20, 2020
Really bad news bro.
What are you planning to do. August 11 is already around d corner.
Justochi:
[b][/b][i][/i]My mail to the Lagos Consular and response from them this afternoon:

Dear U.S. Consular,

I am a doctoral (PhD) student of the Department of Economics, University of New Hampshire, to resume this Fall. I was given a Graduate Assistant (GA) job and I am expected to resume on the 11th of August, 2020, which is also the date for the commencement of classes.

I, therefore, kindly request an emergency Visa appointment to enable me to start up the program and the job appointment.

Thanks.

Lagos EmergencyLagosNIV
11:41 AM (31 minutes ago)
to me

Hello,

At this time the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos is closed to student visa operations. In a time of routine operations, applicants can apply for expedited appointments, to "skip the line" so to speak. As we are closed, there is no line to skip. The U.S. Consulate will publicize any announcement on the resumption of student visa interviews once information is available.

Respectfully,
Lagos Visa Unit
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Juwon21: 6:15pm On Jul 20, 2020
Eniolakiite:
Interesting

Let's hope they open soon in Nigeria. Anything can still happen.

Let's be hopeful

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by gpercuxionz(m): 6:46pm On Jul 20, 2020
How can I defer my admission to spring 2021

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jul 20, 2020
gpercuxionz:
How can I defer my admission to spring 2021

Login to your application portal and navigate your account. There should be a section that allows for deferment to either the spring or fall academic term. Some schools would ask you to state your reason for deferring. This might not apply to all schools.

You can also mail the graduate admission office of your school to guide you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 11:01pm On Jul 20, 2020

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ehizy007: 3:37am On Jul 21, 2020
The dates for each embassy or consulate will depend on local conditions.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 7:33am On Jul 21, 2020
What if the situation doesn't change before spring.

This stuff doesn't make any sense, when they can mandate masks and ensure social distancing.

The international travel excuse is sensible but the COVID one is somehow.

100 of thousands of people were on the street for George floyd, caboodle of them wore masks with zero social distancing. A recent research showed that the recent rise in COVID cases is not related to the protests held, so it's proven that masks do go a long way.

Maybe I'm just reasoning it like this cause I'm the one affected.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 10:41am On Jul 21, 2020
Friedpotato:
What if the situation doesn't change before spring.

This stuff doesn't make any sense, when they can mandate masks and ensure social distancing.

The international travel excuse is sensible but the COVID one is somehow.

100 of thousands of people were on the street for George floyd, caboodle of them wore masks with zero social distancing. A recent research showed that the recent rise in COVID cases is not related to the protests held, so it's proven that masks do go a long way.

Maybe I'm just reasoning it like this cause I'm the one affected.

I feel your point. I have my own analysis too; but unfortunately, how or what we think is inconsequential. They do not consult us before making their decisions.

Ultimately, they will open when they deem it safe and convenient for their staff. Apparently, pressure from emails and Twitter isn't helping much.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Coldburn(m): 10:54am On Jul 21, 2020
Muleriders:

I am touched by your writeup. I was also in this situation before but I narrowly entered 2.2 by few points.

First of all, what is your GPA?
Secondly, can you spare few time and evaluate to US grade using free wes evaluator?
Thirdly, . If you don't mind non-medical but science degrees and your cgpa is 2.2/4 or above, I will personal research good and accredited schools for you to apply to.

Looking forward to your response.

Lastly., a friend is studying Msc at alcorn state University with a third class from Nigeria. It depends on how high your 3rd class GPA is.
I had 2.3/4 please ihow do I go about using the free evaluator
I sent you a pm pls reply
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DRiches: 11:24am On Jul 21, 2020
Hello, please, I would like to know if international flight still going out of the USA?

I will appreciate this info
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solastar2: 2:36pm On Jul 21, 2020
Friedpotato:
Nigeria just extended closure of international airspace till October

https://www.google.com/amp/s/businessday.ng/lead-story/article/breaking-nigeria-aviation-regulator-extends-closure-of-international-airspace-till-october/amp/

Until I see it somewhere official, I am not taking this as authentic.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 2:50pm On Jul 21, 2020
solastar2:

Until I see it somewhere official, I am not taking this as authentic.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lifeisforliving: 3:20pm On Jul 21, 2020

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solastar2: 3:28pm On Jul 21, 2020
Lifeisforliving:

That's what I am saying, we should wait till we get the news from reliable and official source.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 3:37pm On Jul 21, 2020
Lifeisforliving:
thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by gpercuxionz(m): 6:15pm On Jul 21, 2020
Schrodinger1:

Login to your application portal and navigate your account. There should be a section that allows for deferment to either the spring or fall academic term. Some schools would ask you to state your reason for deferring. This might not apply to all schools.

You can also mail the graduate admission office of your school to guide you.
thanks. So after deferment, will I have to book appointment with the ds form I filled for fall or I will have to fill in a new Ds form .is my visa fee still valid or will have to pay for new visa fee.. this Corona period didn't come at the right time at all

(1) (2) (3) ... (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) (520) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.