Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,271 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:06 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (516) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1355947 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 7:48am On Jul 19, 2020
US embassies in Nigeria will open when they feel it is safe for their workers. And maybe when Nigeria opens its airspace.
It is well.

TrojanSnail:
https://ng.usembassy.gov/health-alert-u-s-mission-nigeria-33/

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 8:06am On Jul 19, 2020
Eniolakiite:
US embassies in Nigeria will open when they feel it is safe for their workers. And maybe when Nigeria opens its airspace.
It is well.

in situations like this, what is the function of Nigeria's ambassador to US?

According to his job description, can he do anything to better the situation of intending students?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:52am On Jul 19, 2020
Eniolakiite:
It is well.

Don't know why the Gov don't want to officially announce when the international airport will open. They usually never take anything serious that affects the public i.e book haram, lassa fever, insecurity etc ......

Someone told me July 24 but I checked various sites online and couldn't find a confirmed date .

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 10:36am On Jul 19, 2020
Because the govt is not sure about its ability to manage the virus amidst international travel. Even if international travel is allowed, I really don't see how it will make the US embassy think of resuming visa services for Nigeria anytime soon. Put yourself in their shoes (US officials), would you trust the way the Nigerian govt is handling the virus?

LagosismyHome:

Don't know why the Gov don't want to officially announce when the international airport will open. They usually never take anything serious that affects the public i.e book haram, lassa fever, insecurity etc ......

Someone told me July 24 but I checked various sites online and couldn't find a confirmed date .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 10:54am On Jul 19, 2020
I doubt if it is about Nigeria and the fact that they are not handling the virus well. It is bigger than that. VFS resumed office resumed services for different countries already, UK has announced resumption too. In my opinion, US are only using the situation to delay Visa services. If not, what of the numerous countries that are 'handling the Virus well', NZ for example. A lot are doing well with respect to their curves and routine Visa services have not resumed yet. Truth is Nigeria will continue with this trend for a while, I dont even know if I should call it a trend
N.B the notice from the link posted previously are on other embassy pages too, including US embassy in UK. I guess they are tired of people sending them emails to ask questions and also flooding their social media pages with questions
kastgeraldino:
Because the govt is not sure about its ability to manage the virus amidst international travel. Even if international travel is allowed, I really don't see how it will make the US embassy think of resuming visa services for Nigeria anytime soon. Put yourself in their shoes (US officials), would you trust the way the Nigerian govt is handling the virus?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kilankoazeez: 11:00am On Jul 19, 2020
Good morning everyone

Is there any African country that the US embassy their have started visa operations?

Im thinking it's a general thing across Africa or at least majority of the countries with high influx of visa applications...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 11:25am On Jul 19, 2020
Mauritius and Seychelles. But it isn't about Africa, I doubt if it is about countries with high influx too. I would say they have rules they are following and the way they are interpreting the rules is best known to them. International flights must be playing a major factor though
kilankoazeez:
Good morning everyone

Is there any African country that the US embassy their have started visa operations?

Im thinking it's a general thing across Africa or at least majority of the countries with high influx of visa applications...

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kilankoazeez: 11:29am On Jul 19, 2020
sonofakin:
Mauritius and Seychelles. But it isn't about Africa, I doubt if it is about countries with high influx too. I would say they have rules they are following and the way they are interpreting the rules is best known to them. International flights must be playing a major factor though

If only the FG could be smart enough to restrict access to int'l flights to and fro from just two airports (Abuja and Lagos) so they can control the virus...

You have made a valid point
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 11:38am On Jul 19, 2020
Snakedoctor1:
yes
DM if you haven't paid for the registration. Only DM if you still want to pay for it.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Picricchem: 1:00pm On Jul 19, 2020
kastgeraldino:
Can you take these shots multiple times? I thought almost every Nigerian kid was immunized. I honestly can't even remember what I did when I was going to college some years back.

MMR and Varicella (chicken pox vaccine) are special vaccines. You don't get them for free. Those of us that got completely free immunization couldn't have gotten those ones.

Interested parents pay for those vaccines now in addition to the generally free immunization. I've seen people do that at UCH.

you only take the shots once. You are protected for life.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by drDoom3(m): 1:40pm On Jul 19, 2020
Phenomenalopeye:

So you mean most ivies would accept it without evaluation
or have u seen anyone that was accepted without his/her transcript being evaluated??

Thanks! But since my school as stated the U.S equivalent of my grades that was recommended by NYC (New York City department of education) why would they still ask for it to be evaluated by WES which will cause me money and time

I just pray the evaluation is waived�

All top schools, especially Ivies, do not require transcript evaluation from an external body. They have professionals who do that in their admissions offices.

Please do your research and browse through schools websites extensively.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by drDoom3(m): 1:41pm On Jul 19, 2020
drDoom3:

All top schools, especially Ivies, do not require transcript evaluation from an external body. They have professionals who do that in their admissions offices.

Please do your research and browse through schools websites extensively.

For undergraduate study.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by greenskittles: 1:56pm On Jul 19, 2020
drDoom3:

For undergraduate study.
Even graduate studies too, so people should really do their research. For example both the University of Washington and UIUC actually calculated my updated GPA themselves. When I logged in to my profile I was horrified to see 3.9 as my GPA and wondered if I'd made a mistake until I saw that it was on a scale of 4 (which means the calculation was done for me, because I didn't do it myself). Some schools will ask you to do wes evaluation, some won't. Read the policy properly before spending unnecessary money.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Matinho: 1:59pm On Jul 19, 2020
LOLL. I laughed so hard. Bro,the man is an 85 year old on a wheelchair. Unfortunately thats the state of the nation,senile incompetence hold the most sensitive posts.
Friedpotato:

According to his job description, can he do anything to better the situation of intending students?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Taal17: 2:06pm On Jul 19, 2020
sonofakin:
I doubt if it is about Nigeria and the fact that they are not handling the virus well. It is bigger than that. VFS resumed office resumed services for different countries already, UK has announced resumption too. In my opinion, US are only using the situation to delay Visa services. If not, what of the numerous countries that are 'handling the Virus well', NZ for example. A lot are doing well with respect to their curves and routine Visa services have not resumed yet. Truth is Nigeria will continue with this trend for a while, I dont even know if I should call it a trend
N.B the notice from the link posted previously are on other embassy pages too, including US embassy in UK. I guess they are tired of people sending them emails to ask questions and also flooding their social media pages with questions

Uk visas are different process - no inperson appointments. Public doesnt interface with the Consulate at all. You submit documents to a 3rd party and your documents are scanned/mailed to even the UK sometimes. The only interview you could have done for a visa to the UK was a skype style interview at TLS office.

VFS and TLS in Nigeria pretty much had social distancing pre-COVID-19 so they can resume services easily.

US is a totally different process if your country doesnt have a visawaiverprogram with them then you will do in-person interview outside the US. Even within the US those adjusting status have to sit in for in-person interviews - they need the in-person to suss out applicants reactions and demeanour. They dont trust your documents to be genuine and wont base too much on anything you submit.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 2:27pm On Jul 19, 2020
I agree with your argument regarding the comparison between TLS, VFS and US embassy. But I still want to believe that it isn't all about social distancing
Taal17:

Uk visas are different process - no inperson appointments. Public doesnt interface with the Consulate at all. You submit documents to a 3rd party and your documents are scanned/mailed to even the UK sometimes. The only interview you could have done for a visa to the UK was a skype style interview at TLS office.

VFS and TLS in Nigeria pretty much had social distancing pre-COVID-19 so they can resume services easily.

US is a totally different process if your country doesnt have a visawaiverprogram with them then you will do in-person interview outside the US. Even within the US those adjusting status have to sit in for in-person interviews - they need the in-person to suss out applicants reactions and demeanour. They dont trust your documents to be genuine and wont base too much on anything you submit.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by PriboD: 3:12pm On Jul 19, 2020
Dear VO,

I recently got an admission to a school in the USA. I have been in Nigeria due to the Covid-19 situation. My school is to resume this fall which I have already selected the virtual class option. I was awarded a Teaching Assistantship (TA) role and was assigned a Supervising Professor (SP) with a monthly stipend starting from August. I got in contact with the Associate Dean concerning my work by August virtually which was okay by my SP as he was also planning to have his classes virtually this fall and we will be assisting him remotely too. My Dean got in contact with the Director of the International Student office and they got to me by email stating that I cannot resume work since I am not in the USA. They also stated that since I do not have my SSN yet, there is no way I can be on-boarded as a TA since I am a new student. That a new student can only get an SSN if they are in the USA. Also that I do not have what is required to get my I-9 process.
The contract I signed with school stated I resume work as a TA this fall. My stipends are going to be held until I resume work which my Dean is now proposing by Spring semester. I contacted a friend who informed me I can get my social security number while I am still in Nigeria. That once that is sorted I should contact the Dean again and inform him how passionate I am about resuming work this fall. Since my assigned class for the fall is going to be an online/remote instruction.
Please, is it possible I can get my SSN while I am still in Nigeria as a new student? I checked out their website but I saw a lot of confusing options. But my friend was certain I can get it if I contact them. How do I go about this?
Thank you VO
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Taal17: 4:02pm On Jul 19, 2020
PriboD:
Dear VO,

I recently got an admission to a school in the USA. I have been in Nigeria due to the Covid-19 situation. My school is to resume this fall which I have already selected the virtual class option. I was awarded a Teaching Assistantship (TA) role and was assigned a Supervising Professor (SP) with a monthly stipend starting from August. I got in contact with the Associate Dean concerning my work by August virtually which was okay by my SP as he was also planning to have his classes virtually this fall and we will be assisting him remotely too. My Dean got in contact with the Director of the International Student office and they got to me by email stating that I cannot resume work since I am not in the USA. They also stated that since I do not have my SSN yet, there is no way I can be on-boarded as a TA since I am a new student. That a new student can only get an SSN if they are in the USA. Also that I do not have what is required to get my I-9 process.
The contract I signed with school stated I resume work as a TA this fall. My stipends are going to be held until I resume work which my Dean is now proposing by Spring semester. I contacted a friend who informed me I can get my social security number while I am still in Nigeria. That once that is sorted I should contact the Dean again and inform him how passionate I am about resuming work this fall. Since my assigned class for the fall is going to be an online/remote instruction.
Please, is it possible I can get my SSN while I am still in Nigeria as a new student? I checked out their website but I saw a lot of confusing options. But my friend was certain I can get it if I contact them. How do I go about this?
Thank you VO

VOs are not here anymore, they used to be but no longer responding to messages on NL
you cant get your SSN when you're not in the country. You DONT have a student visa neither have your entered into the US.
Wait for spring semester as they have advised - hopefully before then you can get your student visa and travel
In the meantime go ahead and book US visa appointment, I believe abuja dates are open from November pending when visa services open fully.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ashirioluwa: 4:05pm On Jul 19, 2020
Friedpotato:

Our ambassador to US can’t do anything in this case. US embassy will open when they see it is safe to do so.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:08pm On Jul 19, 2020
Matinho:
LOLL. I laughed so hard. Bro,the man is an 85 year old on a wheelchair. Unfortunately thats the state of the nation,senile incompetence hold the most sensitive posts.

My country amazes me a lot .... but not in a good way sad

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ashirioluwa: 4:22pm On Jul 19, 2020
PriboD:
Dear VO,

Thank you VO

You can’t get it while you are in Nigeria because you need to show your US I-94 or arrival stamp on your passport.

I pulled the information below from SSA website:

What original documents do I need?

Immigration status

To prove your U.S. immigration status, you must show us your current U.S. immigration document, such as:

Form I-551 (Lawful Permanent Resident Card, Machine Readable Immigrant Visa) with your unexpired foreign passport;
I-766 (Employment Authorization Document, EAD, work permit); or
I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) or admission stamp in the unexpired foreign passport.
If you are an F-1 or M-1 student, you also must show us your I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status).

If you are a J-1 or J-2 exchange visitor, you must show us your DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status).
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by saintexcel: 4:33pm On Jul 19, 2020
Bro. Am in d same shoes as you. I have a teaching assistantship to begin August 11. I really don't know what to do. I scared to defer my admission as I might lost my assistantship. Am really confused right now.
PriboD:
Dear VO,

Thank you VO
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 4:51pm On Jul 19, 2020
It’s just unfortunate.

LagosismyHome:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 4:57pm On Jul 19, 2020
The question is do they care !

Friedpotato:

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Eniolakiite(f): 5:05pm On Jul 19, 2020
US can’t be compared to other countries in terms of student visa because many people apply for US student visa. They might have laid down regulations that each country should meet before they can resume services. And to think not only student visa, other visa types too. If they open today, many people will rush them. Nigerians apply for US visa a lot. Also note that they do in-person interviews, so their safety is important.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sonofakin: 5:47pm On Jul 19, 2020
They prioritized F-1 in the few countries where they reopened
Eniolakiite:
US can’t be compared to other countries in terms of student visa because many people apply for US student visa. They might have laid down regulations that each country should meet before they can resume services. And to think not only student visa, other visa types too. If they open today, many people will rush them. Nigerians apply for US visa a lot. Also note that they do in-person interviews, so their safety is important.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 5:47pm On Jul 19, 2020
Eniolakiite:
yes I think so too. That should be why Egypt first opened and later closed.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by PriboD: 6:23pm On Jul 19, 2020
Taal17:

VOs are not here anymore, they used to be but no longer responding to messages on NL
you cant get your SSN when you're not in the country. You DONT have a student visa neither have your entered into the US.
Wait for spring semester as they have advised - hopefully before then you can get your student visa and travel
In the meantime go ahead and book US visa appointment, I believe abuja dates are open from November pending when visa services open fully.

Thank you for the update. Please can you help with how I can book a VISA appointment because on their website after I filled the form and submitted. A prompt came up that " There are no appointment dates available". Although I chose the Lagos consulate in my DS-160 form. I called their Customer care line and the man that answered me said "for student visas, I should get the email from their site and send them a request to book an appointment for and expedient VISA." I checked the website he asked me to visit but I did not see any email address on their page. What should I do now?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by PriboD: 6:29pm On Jul 19, 2020
saintexcel:
Bro. Am in d same shoes as you. I have a teaching assistantship to begin August 11. I really don't know what to do. I scared to defer my admission as I might lost my assistantship. Am really confused right now.

Thesame thing I was told by a mentor in the states. He told me to go virtual for fall since my school had the option available. That deferring might cost me a lot of uncertain changes especially to my scholarship. I feel the best thing is to try out their virtual instruction and perhaps, if they are any challenges. One can always notify them ahead of time. I hear that their lecturers are that accessible only if you open up to them.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by PriboD: 6:30pm On Jul 19, 2020
Ashirioluwa:

You can’t get it while you are in Nigeria because you need to show your US I-94 or arrival stamp on your passport.

I pulled the information below from SSA website:

What original documents do I need?

Immigration status

To prove your U.S. immigration status, you must show us your current U.S. immigration document, such as:

Form I-551 (Lawful Permanent Resident Card, Machine Readable Immigrant Visa) with your unexpired foreign passport;
I-766 (Employment Authorization Document, EAD, work permit); or
I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) or admission stamp in the unexpired foreign passport.
If you are an F-1 or M-1 student, you also must show us your I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status).

If you are a J-1 or J-2 exchange visitor, you must show us your DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status).

Thanks a lot for this. I appreciate
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 7:09pm On Jul 19, 2020
Don't allow anyone defraud you or put you into trouble. You can't get SSN from outside the US.

PriboD:
Dear VO,

Thank you VO

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 7:55pm On Jul 19, 2020
PriboD:
Dear VO,

Thank you VO
I'm certain your friend is trying to defraud you if hes studying in the USA. But if hes not, then he doesnt have correct information about the SSN. One of the requirements of the SSN is to be a lawful resident which a student visa doesnt automatically qualify you for, but an address, a job and an employer in the US. You must be able to show that you reside in the USA. Your Visa, i-94(arrival date into the USA) and your address are not just necessary but compulsory in order to apply for SSN. If you can, please defer your admissions until the spring semester. Talk to your advisor, fall semester is here, hes likely not going to have a GA for Fall semester, you can vulunteer to work with him on research( payment later) if possible. You may also do some research with him/her as a volunteer(at your time) for free

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.