Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,892 members, 7,828,155 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (564) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1367154 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Tulacious123: 6:51am On Sep 27, 2020
Muneer5:
Hello, please help.

I got into UTDallas for a PhD (full funding with TA) without taking GRE/TOEFL. And I was only able to apply to ONE school during the pandemic.

How am I supposed to prepare for the visa interview?

I'm really scared �
Thanks.

Please which course did you apply for?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 7:21am On Sep 27, 2020
fairheart:

Hmm! They have been many people, especially from this thread, some of which I am no no longer in touch with since they got their visas in 2019. There are currently two ladies on this thread that are bank branch managers and head of her bank department. For privacy reasons, I cannot mention their usernames, but if you tell me what you need help with, I can ask them if they can help. What do you need help with?
Permit me to PM please...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ZionSpecie(m): 8:09am On Sep 27, 2020
Zluky:
Please I intend using self fund and a little support from spouse to fund my program I also have part tuition waiver. My question is in the DS 160 form, is it ok to put OTTHER in the field: "Person/Entity Paying for Your Trip "

There is no option for self fund and other.

Kindly give inputs

Thank you

I think that question is who is paying for your trip to the US, not who is sponsoring your education

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by BrTune: 8:16am On Sep 27, 2020
I paid via Internet banking.
No difference. Save ur self the stress and the risk of contacting covid and just pay from home
Vader92:
Hello guys, please could I fill the ds 160 form before paying Visa Application and Sevis fees?

A kind person stated earlier that one has to go to the bank (GT) to pay the VIsa application fee. However I read on the website that it can also be paid through internet banking. I was wondering whether there is any disadvantage that comes with paying online.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Zluky: 8:17am On Sep 27, 2020
ZionSpecie:

I think that question is who is paying for your trip to the US, not who is sponsoring your education

So does that mean flight fare? smiley smiley na waa o
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solastar2: 8:24am On Sep 27, 2020
Hello all, I need your opinion. In my form I-20, my major was written as "Engineering, General" instead of Chemical Engineering. What do you think is advisable for me to write in my form DS160? Engineering or Chemical Engineering
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lifeisforliving: 8:28am On Sep 27, 2020
Zluky:

So does that mean flight fare? smiley smiley na waa o

I think you should put the person who is responsible for most part of the program
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Snakedoctor1: 8:58am On Sep 27, 2020
ormorteey:

From the current regulatory draft, it doesn’t appear you would need to leave the US since it’s not a new visa you are trying to get. You are largely getting an extension. They plan on having affected visa holders file a form i539, submit biometrics and supporting documents or a newly created form that’s simpler than that.

What they are trying to take away is the power of the DSO to grant an extension. The new regulation would only allow a DSO to recommend an extension then you file with USCIS, then a DHS officer checks if the visa holder has maintained appropriate progress towards completion of degree without violating and inadmissibility clause.

Here is a link to the regulatory draft: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DHS_FRDOC_0001-1933

Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by arcTY(m): 9:08am On Sep 27, 2020
Good morning nairalander, please can i use an international address instead of my home address (NIGERIA) to receive my i-20?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by adelawry(m): 9:19am On Sep 27, 2020
solastar2:
Hello all, I need your opinion. In my form I-20, my major was written as "Engineering, General" instead of Chemical Engineering. What do you think is advisable for me to write in my form DS160? Engineering or Chemical Engineering

I’m guessing your school is ULL. Did they put Chemical engineering on the I-20?
If the concentration is mentioned on the I-20, you might be safe to put Chemical engineering. You can ask others for their opinion though.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by phizzle20: 9:33am On Sep 27, 2020
Hello all, is it compulsory to fill the question: have you made specific travel plans? In the DS160 form.
Or I should just provide an estimate?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mightynnd(m): 9:36am On Sep 27, 2020
solastar2:
which school?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sharon8: 9:40am On Sep 27, 2020
Good morning, please who is responsible for changing the school's start date on the SEVIS system?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solastar2: 10:06am On Sep 27, 2020
adelawry:

I’m guessing your school is ULL. Did they put Chemical engineering on the I-20?
If the concentration is mentioned on the I-20, you might be safe to put Chemical engineering. You can ask others for their opinion though.

Chemical Engineering was not stated on it. It is not ULL but University of Arkansas.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solastar2: 10:07am On Sep 27, 2020
mightynnd:
which school?

University of Arkansas
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Zluky: 11:11am On Sep 27, 2020
Lifeisforliving:

I think you should put the person who is responsible for most part of the program

Ok cool. Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 27, 2020
Sharon8:
Good morning, please who is responsible for changing the school's start date on the SEVIS system?

Why not request for a new form I-20 from your graduate school rather than altering the database of the SEVIS number.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Shuayb0(m): 12:08pm On Sep 27, 2020
Hello everyone.

Thanks for all the insights.

I made a mistake with sponsor surname when filling ds-160 (inputted his middle name as surname) and I already submitted.

Can I fill another application and use on visa appointment or just swear an affidavit and take to interview, while maybe explain the discrepancy to the VO.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:27pm On Sep 27, 2020
Sharon8:

Your school in the US. This means you have to get updated i-20 for the admission term you've been admitted, let's say Spring 2021 or Fall 2021. Contact your school.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:31pm On Sep 27, 2020
Shuayb0:
Hello everyone.

Thanks for all the insights.

I made a mistake with sponsor surname when filling ds-160 (inputted his middle name as surname) and I already submitted.

Can I fill another application and use on visa appointment or just swear an affidavit and take to interview, while maybe explain the discrepancy to the VO.
You can fill another form, but make sure the new dsform ID is updated on the appointment-scheduling site.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:36pm On Sep 27, 2020
solastar2:

Your school used SEVIS-designated term for your program on the I-20. It's not always the term used by your school for its programs. "Engineering, General" is the available term in the SEVIS system, and under which "Chemical Engineering sit. Fill in the DSFORM the program you're admitted for: Chemical Engineering. During the interview, give your response around Chemical Engineering, the Consular will understand.

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solastar2: 12:40pm On Sep 27, 2020
fairheart:

Your school used SEVIS-designated term for your program. It's not always the term used by your school. "Engineering, General" is the available term in the SEVIS system, and under which "Chemical Engineering sit. Fill in the DSFORM the program you're admitted for: Chemical Engineering. During the interview, give your response around Chemical Engineering, the Consular will understand.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Shehuroj: 1:19pm On Sep 27, 2020
Hello house.

I defer my admission to speing resumption due to Covid-19 and I have recieved an updated I-20 with spring resumption date electronically (emailed).
My question is, do I need to fill another DS-160 for since I have different resumption date on the former DS-160 i filled?

Also, US embassy normally accept only mailed (original copy sent by fedEx or DHL) to student, but my school said they cannot mail I-20 because of the Vovid-19 that the emailed one is the original copy and would suffice.
Please what do you guys think I can do?

@Snakedoctor1 and others
Thanks and do have a fabulous sunday.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 1:21pm On Sep 27, 2020
phizzle20:
Hello all, is it compulsory to fill the question: have you made specific travel plans? In the DS160 form.
Or I should just provide an estimate?

Yes it is compulsory, answer no, you're not meant to make specific plans until you get your visa.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Shuayb0(m): 2:27pm On Sep 27, 2020
fairheart:

You can fill another form, but make sure the new dsform ID is updated on the appointment-scheduling site.
Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 3:50pm On Sep 27, 2020
solihp:

Yes it is compulsory, answer no, you're not meant to make specific plans until you get your visa.
someone should double confirm this because I did the opposite.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 4:03pm On Sep 27, 2020
Friedpotato:
someone should double confirm this because I did the opposite.
solihp has been there before, so I believe she's telling you from personal experience that worked for her as for everyone else. So, go ahead.
Have you made specific travelling plan? No. Once you choose that option, another column will show asking for information on when you'd like to travel/arrival date. Just select a date up to 1 week to your program start date (as on the i-20) there. 1 week should be enough to settle down before class starts.

All the best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sharon8: 4:32pm On Sep 27, 2020
Schrodinger1:

Why not request for a new form I-20 from your graduate school rather than altering the database of the SEVIS number.

I have. The school is still preparing the I-20
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sharon8: 4:32pm On Sep 27, 2020
fairheart:

Your school in the US. This means you have to get updated i-20 for the admission term you've been admitted, let's say Spring 2021 or Fall 2021. Contact your school.

Okay..thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sharon8: 4:37pm On Sep 27, 2020
Please, I just saw this on my CGI account. I have never canceled any appointment in the past. I thought one can only cancel once and then for subsequent ones the person will have to pay another MRV fee. However, I never canceled, so why is it saying that I have exceeded my cancelation limit. What could happen if I decide to cancel the appointment?

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gent009: 5:05pm On Sep 27, 2020
Vader92:
Hello guys, please could I fill the ds 160 form before paying Visa Application and Sevis fees?

A kind person stated earlier that one has to go to the bank (GT) to pay the VIsa application fee. However I read on the website that it can also be paid through internet banking. I was wondering whether there is any disadvantage that comes with paying online.

You can fill the ds160 first. And you can also pay your visa fee online
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gent009: 5:27pm On Sep 27, 2020
solihp:

False. It's all about forward thinking. You meant to plan ahead as soon as you got your admission.

Contact friends, relative to crash with, date of your proposed trip, and other logistics

(1) (2) (3) ... (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.