Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,997 members, 7,835,340 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (585) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1371017 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (582) (583) (584) (585) (586) (587) (588) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sammiebabatunde(m): 1:46pm On Oct 09, 2020
Hi brother, what do you suggest for anyone applying to get an F1 Visa (Bachelor's degree) with self sponsorship.
I mean do you know if it's a thing that works as other sponsorships or you have anything to say against it?
I await your response ASAP. Thank you much

BrTune:
Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

I have had to travel a lot, so I have decent experience in visa interviews. Even though I have never been denied a visa, for some reason I felt jittery and apprehensive about this particular interview, so I understand the anxiety most of you feel, but try to stay calm and focused on your goal. We will all be fine, eventually.

In answer to some of the questions:

Reciprocity fee is 42,900.

I specifically requested my school to send a new I-20 after the dates were changed. I didn't want to, but my brother insisted and said he will pay, so I avoid any issues. since he was paying I ordered a new I-20. Paid FedEx 85bucks.

I did not fill in a new DS-160, the old I-20 and the new I-20 carried all the same info, except start date which changed. But I remember that from the start, I filled in January as my start date. So if your start date is still reflecting September/Aug, please fill a new DS-160.

Try to avoid inconsistency at all costs, a guy was rejected because even though he was given full funding, his I-20 said 50% funding. Review ur I-20 for errors or discrepancy upon receipt.

Try to appear confident and calm

Finally, if you believe in God, PRAY, it works!

Please post all inquiries here, I am unable to access my email atm.

Also, Every single country I ever travelled to, I HAVE ALWAYS DONE EVERYTHING MYSELF AND AVOIDED AGENTS LIKE THE PLAGUE. Read and follow the instructions, if u are applying for F1 you are probably literate and computer savvy.

May the odds forever be in our favour!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:54pm On Oct 09, 2020
Sammiebabatunde:
Thank you. But can I reapply immediately having just been denied today? And what about the foreign address that I've used in all my documents? I await your response. Thanks a lot

Many people dey denied in Nigeria as well.... before you rush off and go buy ticket and come to Nigeria. Be sure you have a good school and maybe a strong profile.

What school are you going to the embassy with and also what age since it BSC. Are you currently a student in Ukraine and you want to leave it for the USA?. There are many factors that combine to or for rejections

Applying from Nigeria with some form of home ties is not automatic YES
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sammiebabatunde(m): 2:02pm On Oct 09, 2020
I have a good school and a couple of people there. Visa approval is quite high for the school (Still depends on an individual's circumstances anyways)

And yes, I'm a student in Ukraine currently (But only studying the language course,it's for a year)

Age 24 and Self sponsorship with 2x of the Tuition fees (No funding from school)
What you suggest?

LagosismyHome:

Many people dey denied in Nigeria as well.... before you rush off and go buy ticket and come to Nigeria. Be sure you have a good school and maybe a strong profile.

What school are you going to the embassy with and also what age since it BSC. Are you currently a student in Ukraine and you want to leave it for the USA?. There are many factors that combine to or for rejections

Applying from Nigeria with some form of home ties is not automatic YES
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 2:07pm On Oct 09, 2020
Sammiebabatunde:
I have a good school and a couple of people there. Visa approval is quite high for the school (Still depends on an individual's circumstances anyways)

And yes, I'm a student in Ukraine currently (But only studying the language course,it's for a year)

Age 24 and Self sponsorship with 2x of the Tuition fees (No funding from school)
What you suggest?

grin She asked you because she knows better. The bold line guarantees your refusal, even if you come to Nigeria to reapply.
Over to Lagosismyhome!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:07pm On Oct 09, 2020
Sammiebabatunde:

What you suggest?

Self funding for a 4 year course.... even with 2x a year school fees that 2 years not to talk of living expenses . How do you intend to explain how you will pay for the last 2 years... even with a running business

I dont know if the VO see undergrad who are going as self funding. At that young age, coming from Nigeria it very difficult to self fund a 4 years degree . Even our parents who worked for donkey years it hard to train a child for BSC with no funding. How much more a 24 years . Even an american without student loans it hard for them to self fund how much more a Nigerian when naira is less

However I am not an actual VO so I can only give you what in my head. It left for VO to reason it and decide accordingly . so best to do what you feel right ...personally BSC with no funding, i would not be self funding. Find an uncle.lol

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Chibzee2: 2:13pm On Oct 09, 2020
who here is finding it difficult filling or completing the ds-160. The site keeps acting out on me
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sodaug: 2:22pm On Oct 09, 2020
Use a PC
Chibzee2:
who here is finding it difficult filling or completing the ds-160. The site keeps acting out on me
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Curious2020: 2:24pm On Oct 09, 2020
BrTune:
US Visa Approved!!!

Sent a strongly worded email with convincing points for an emergency visa appointment on Tuesday Night - 6th.

Received an email from the US embassy at 7.30am the next day - Wednesday, scheduling me for an interview on Friday at 6.30am.

Today, Woke up at 5.00am, joined hands with my sister to decree divine Favour.

Bath, dressed and booked an Uber, got to VI at 6.20am.

Went in for my interview at 7.00am

Sent back out because I did not print my DS-160 confirmation.

Rain flogged me, some soldier men even gave me umbrella my who cloth was wet.

A lady helped me to print the DS - 160 form, said I should pay her 5K, I didn’t have any money on me. Begged the lady and eventually paid 3500 outta my reciprocity fee.

Went back into the embassy.

VO: Good morning
Me: Hi, Goodmorning

VO: Pass me ur I-20 and visa and da-160 form

VO: where are u going
Me: Going to ...Ivy league school

VO: Great school, but very expensive too, how are u funding it?
Me: Received 80,000 USD in Fin Aid and taking a loan of 20K from my uncle to complete the rest.

VO: Ok, what does ur uncle do?
Me: My Uncle is a real estate developer and deals in wichtech roofing sheets.

VO: Any evidence of ur uncles ability to pay?
Me: before I could Pass him my uncles statement, he said I shouldn’t bother, he believes me.

VO: Have u travelled out before?
Me: Yes, I have been to the US, Germany France, Qatar, Kenya, Uganda...etc

VO: What did u go for?
Me: Explains

VO: Your visa has been approved, do u have the reciprocity fee?
I knew my reciprocity fee was short by 3500 but I answered yes, I did not want wahala.

VO: Go over there and pay, and enjoy ur stay in America

I go over there, praying for a miracle and the money to double...didn’t happen.
Went out and was looking for whom to borrow money from as I didn’t have my atm. One guy who just finished his interview saw me and asked what the problem was.
I told him, he then called his driver to bring money and dashed me 4K. I quickly begged him to wait for me, so I follow him and drop off at my stop.
He waited for me to pay the reciprocity fee and then told his driver to drop me off the stop close to my house.

Good luck every one
Congratulations!

Pls what Ivy League school were you admitted into?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 2:26pm On Oct 09, 2020
Sammiebabatunde:

What you suggest?

Looking your profile and considering trend of approvals and refusals at the embassies in Nigeria, at least for more than 2 years now, you don't stand a chance.
1, Your age is weigh too up for undergraduate, except you're a transfer student (meaning you're into a program in Ukraine and going to the US to complete it). I normally suggest that if you are above 22 years old, undergraduate visa approval is not safe. 23 may fly with funding on the i-20, but 24...the chance is very, very slim.

2, You said you're self-sponsoring this. Okay, let us say for example, the TCA is $25, 000, and you have $50, 000 in your account (since he said X2), what happens when you're out of fund is that you will become a public burden and probably drop out of status. This is how the consular at the embassy look at self-funding for applicants as young as you are. Now, I am asking you: where will you get money to continue in studies when your current fund is expended? I know you want to say you'll manage and survive and hustle, but looking at it from a consular point of view, it doesn't work that way. These people simply won't see it that way for you.

3, You don't have scholarship. My dear, my 1 cent advise for you is that, finish your undergraduate degree in Ukraine, and while you are doing that, plan for your Masters in the US. In my opinion, coming to Nigeria to reapply for the f1 is a pipe dream. Don't waste more money. Chances that you'll be refused is very,very high, but as Lagosismyhome advised, you choose what you want.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sammiebabatunde(m): 2:27pm On Oct 09, 2020
This info really would help me. Thank you bro!

LagosismyHome:

Self funding for a 4 year course.... even with 2x a year school fees that 2 years not to talk of living expenses . How do you intend to explain how you will pay for the last 2 years... even with a running business

I dont know if the VO see undergrad who are going as self funding. At that young age, coming from Nigeria it very difficult to self fund a 4 years degree . Even our parents who worked for donkey years it hard to train a child for BSC with no funding. How much more a 24 years . Even an american without student loans it hard for them to self fund how much more a Nigerian when naira is less

However I am not an actual VO so I can only give you what in my head. It left for VO to reason it and decide accordingly . so best to do what you feel right ...personally BSC with no funding, i would not be self funding. Find an uncle.lol
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by teepee4Him(m): 2:41pm On Oct 09, 2020
BrTune:

I have had to travel a lot, so I have decent experience in visa interviews. Even though I have never been denied a visa, for some reason I felt jittery and apprehensive about this particular interview, so I understand the anxiety most of you feel, but try to stay calm and focused on your goal. We will all be fine, eventually.

Also, Every single country I ever travelled to, I HAVE ALWAYS DONE EVERYTHING MYSELF AND AVOIDED AGENTS LIKE THE PLAGUE. Read and follow the instructions, if u are applying for F1 you are probably literate and computer savvy.

Congratulations! Pls, is it possible to pay the reciprocity fee with card or is there an atm in the embassy?
Also, are you going for am undergrad or grad course?
Thanks!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:42pm On Oct 09, 2020
Sammiebabatunde:
This info really would help me. Thank you bro!

I am female

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sammiebabatunde(m): 2:45pm On Oct 09, 2020
Very much appreciated! Another blocking block might be simply because I had my first degree in Nigeria already cry

fairheart:

Looking your profile and considering trend of approvals and refusals at the embassies in Nigeria, at least for more than 2 years now, you don't stand a chance.
1, Your age is weigh too up for undergraduate, except you're a transfer student (meaning you're into a program in Ukraine and going to the US to complete it). I normally suggest that if you are above 22 years old, undergraduate visa approval is not safe. 23 may fly with funding on the i-20, but 24...the chance is very, very slim.

2, You said you're self-sponsoring this. Okay, let us say for example, the TCA is $25, 000, and you have $50, 000 in your account (since he said X2), what happens when you're out of fund is that you will become a public burden and probably drop out of status. This is how the consular at the embassy look at self-funding for applicants as young as you are. Now, I am asking you: where will you get money to continue in studies when your current fund is expended? I know you want to say you'll manage and survive and hustle, but looking at it from a consular point of view, it doesn't work that way. These people simply won't see it that way for you.

3, You don't have scholarship. My dear, my 1 cent advise for you is that, finish your undergraduate degree in Ukraine, and while you are doing that, plan for your Masters in the US. In my opinion, coming to Nigeria to reapply for the f1 is a pipe dream. Don't waste more money. Chances that you'll be refused is very,very high, but as Lagosismyhome advised, you choose what you want.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by juniorsworld(m): 2:45pm On Oct 09, 2020
Earlier this day, I got my visa approved.

My case is likely drastically different from a lot of people which helps.

I moved do the US in 05 as a dependent under my father and pretty much did my schooling there from teenage years to Masters.

I actually came to Nigeria for an immigrant visa interview since my family qualified but it was denied due to the petitioner's death. Hence this interview to travel back.

I am pretty familiar with the process and the tough interview plus I can speak with a US accent. All these things pretty much helped and is probably unique to me.

For the things that we all share, make sure to not tell stories and even if they ask to describe something for them, make it short 30 words or less.

In my interview, I literally spoke in words or very short phrases and answered exactly what was asked. Also, match the level of directness and volume of the VO.

Sometimes they will ask you a question once and then again, after asking other questions. If your answer to the same question is different, it's over.

Breathe and calm down so you can answer questions quickly and concisely.

Oh, again I stress, don't tell long stories. They are not interested!!! Keep it short and simple (KISS).

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Chibzee2: 2:51pm On Oct 09, 2020
sodaug:
Use a PC
I am
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sammiebabatunde(m): 3:02pm On Oct 09, 2020
Okay,thank you ma'am! grin

LagosismyHome:

I am female
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 3:30pm On Oct 09, 2020
Sammiebabatunde:
Very much appreciated! Another blocking block might be simply because I had my first degree in Nigeria already cry

So you basically shoot yourself in the leg!
Why didn't you apply for Master's if you have already have a first degree?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TrojanSnail: 3:37pm On Oct 09, 2020
Congratulations!

juniorsworld:
Earlier this day, I got my visa approved.

My case is likely drastically different from a lot of people which helps.

I moved do the US in 05 as a dependent under my father and pretty much did my schooling there from teenage years to Masters.

I actually came to Nigeria for an immigrant visa interview since my family qualified but it was denied due to the petitioner's death. Hence this interview to travel back.

I am pretty familiar with the process and the tough interview plus I can speak with a US accent. All these things pretty much helped and is probably unique to me.

For the things that we all share, make sure to not tell stories and even if they ask to describe something for them, make it short 30 words or less.

In my interview, I literally spoke in words or very short phrases and answered exactly what was asked. Also, match the level of directness and volume of the VO.

Sometimes they will ask you a question once and then again, after asking other questions. If your answer to the same question is different, it's over.

Breathe and calm down so you can answer questions quickly and concisely.

Oh, again I stress, don't tell long stories. They are not interested!!! Keep it short and simple (KISS).

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 4:22pm On Oct 09, 2020
BrTune:

I specifically requested my school to send a new I-20 after the dates were changed. I didn't want to, but my brother insisted and said he will pay, so I avoid any issues. since he was paying I ordered a new I-20. Paid FedEx 85bucks.

I did not fill in a new DS-160, the old I-20 and the new I-20 carried all the same info, except start date which changed. But I remember that from the start, I filled in January as my start date. So if your start date is still reflecting September/Aug, please fill a new DS-160.

Try to avoid inconsistency at all costs, a guy was rejected because even though he was given full funding, his I-20 said 50% funding. Review ur I-20 for errors or discrepancy upon receipt.

Try to appear confident and calm

Finally, if you believe in God, PRAY, it works!

Please post all inquiries here, I am unable to access my email atm.

Congrats on your approval. Do you mind sharing your Profile:
GPA,GRE,TOEFL/IELTS, any research or publications & your graduate school. Feel free.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by BrTune: 4:30pm On Oct 09, 2020
There is an atm at the embassy inside.
But sometimes it doesn’t work, so it’s best to go with cash.
teepee4Him:

Congratulations! Pls, is it possible to pay the reciprocity fee with card or is there an atm in the embassy?
Also, are you going for am undergrad or grad course?
Thanks!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by BrTune: 4:36pm On Oct 09, 2020
How do you intend to explain your access to the funds? Except you won a lottery or can prove that u are a millionaire heir or some other concrete proof,
My brother finish ur degree in Ukraine then apply to US for masters/PhD.
Tbh except u are going to Harvard, I see no point wasting all that money to go start another degree, and trust me, u will have to prove that to the consular officer.

Disclaimer: Every advise given here is based on my personal knowledge, I am no VO or Consular officer.
Sammiebabatunde:
Hi brother, what do you suggest for anyone applying to get an F1 Visa (Bachelor's degree) with self sponsorship.
I mean do you know if it's a thing that works as other sponsorships or you have anything to say against it?
I await your response ASAP. Thank you much

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sammiebabatunde(m): 4:39pm On Oct 09, 2020
It's complicated! But I'm definitely going for that next.
Thank you for your time here brother. Can I write you via email please?
fairheart:

So you basically shoot yourself in the leg!
Why didn't you apply for Master's if you have already have a first degree?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lifeisforliving: 4:42pm On Oct 09, 2020
Just got scheduled in Abuja

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Oscardon1: 4:48pm On Oct 09, 2020
What date in Abuja, and how did u manage to get the date?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lifeisforliving: 4:50pm On Oct 09, 2020
Oscardon1:
What date in Abuja, and how did u manage to get the date?

Nov. 4th
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lifeisforliving: 4:53pm On Oct 09, 2020
Please for those that interviewed today. Was Electronic I20
Accepted
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by felixboye1(m): 4:57pm On Oct 09, 2020
I will advise you leave Abuja appointment for now and try to get appointment at Lagos Embassy. All Abuja appointments were cancelled last night and their message says they are not yet open for appointment. To avoid story that touches.
Lifeisforliving:

Nov. 4th
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by PriboD: 5:11pm On Oct 09, 2020
Good day house, I have a sponsor in the USA. I was requesting that he mails the bank statement to me by courier but he just informed me now that he will scan it to me. That the embassy will accept scanned copy. Please anyone with such experience, kindly share? Because from what I hear about the US consulate in Lagos, they prefer physical hardcopies of document than a photoscanned document. Do they also accept a colour scanned document? Please, what can I do in this situation?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lifeisforliving: 5:32pm On Oct 09, 2020
Pls will electronic I-20 be accepted
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by teepee4Him(m): 6:04pm On Oct 09, 2020
BrTune:
There is an atm at the embassy inside.
But sometimes it doesn’t work, so it’s best to go with cash.

Okay. Thank you for the info!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 6:17pm On Oct 09, 2020
PriboD:
Good day house, I have a sponsor in the USA. I was requesting that he mails the bank statement to me by courier but he just informed me now that he will scan it to me. That the embassy will accept scanned copy. Please anyone with such experience, kindly share? Because from what I hear about the US consulate in Lagos, they prefer physical hardcopies of document than a photoscanned document. Do they also accept a colour scanned document? Please, what can I do in this situation?

Depending on how he scans it... some scan can be like actual copy and u print it out in coloured
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 6:18pm On Oct 09, 2020
Lifeisforliving:
Pls will electronic I-20 be accepted

Check with your school. They would know best... if they say yes then you are good to go

(1) (2) (3) ... (582) (583) (584) (585) (586) (587) (588) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.