Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,779 members, 7,831,500 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (63) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1368852 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 19, 2019
Stanmedix:
Embassy Location: Abuja

School name: ETSU

Program: MPH

VO: Good morning, pass me ur passport and I 20
Me: good morning ma, docs passed

VO: why East Tennessee SU? *Though not audible enough
Me: cos of their well structured practically oriented academic curriculum which is what I actually needed for my training so as to be able to impact maximally in our health system once I come back after the program.

VO: I can see u are a doctor, working.... Where did u have ur degree
Me: answered in affirmation

VO: how will you be funding this studies
Me: I have a GA offer which comes with tuition waiver and stipends, my uncle will be assisting with the deficits

VO: Do you have letter from the school for the GA?
Me: No

VO: what will you be doing as a GA?
Me: working with Prof...on his current work on....
Went on explaining details

VO: sorry this paper will explain why you are not eligible for this visa at this time

Green coloured paper handed over. Felt depressed for 2days.
Please guys I need your thorough perusal and advice on what to do.
Thanks in anticipation.

I think the bolded above is where the problem is, you are a doctor working and still need sponsorship from your uncle, I think you would have been in a better position if you were sponsoring yourself or you had a scholarship. I would advise folks that have family that want to sponsor them to make the family member deposit the funds in your account at the start of your admission process, that way you provide your own SOA as proof of funds, especially for folks that are working. Except the idea of using a family members SOA is a guise to escape out of the shit hole

8 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 6:43pm On Jun 19, 2019
blackmamba147:

I think the bolded above is where the problem is, you are a doctor working and still need sponsorship from your uncle, I think you would have been in a better position if you were sponsoring yourself or you had a scholarship. I would advise folks that have family that want to sponsor them to make the family member deposit the funds in your account at the start of your admission process, that way you provide your own SOA as proof of funds, especially for folks that are working. Except the idea of using a family members SOA is a guise to escape out of the shit hole

Not true .
Uncles can fund even married men.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by pradoworld: 6:45pm On Jun 19, 2019
Have you previously been refused before?
Stanmedix:

Me: cos of their well structured practically oriented academic curriculum which is what I actually needed for my training so as to be able to impact maximally in our health system once I come back after the program.

Me: I have a GA offer which comes with tuition waiver and stipends, my uncle will be assisting with the deficits

VO: sorry this paper will explain why you are not eligible for this visa at this time

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dumbiri99(f): 6:45pm On Jun 19, 2019
Grass2Green:
I actually uSo I think it depends on how you handle the VO.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 6:45pm On Jun 19, 2019
Two seemingly good transcripts today (with graduate assistantships and funding) yet denied

What’s going on

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stanmedix: 6:46pm On Jun 19, 2019
But my account is quite short of the deficit as I just started work few months ago quote author=blackmamba147 post=79487254]

I think the bolded above is where the problem is, you are a doctor working and still need sponsorship from your uncle, I think you would have been in a better position if you were sponsoring yourself or you had a scholarship. I would advise folks that have family that want to sponsor them to make the family member deposit the funds in your account at the start of your admission process, that way you provide your own SOA as proof of funds, especially for folks that are working. Except the idea of using a family members SOA is a guise to escape out of the shit hole[/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 6:46pm On Jun 19, 2019
Stanmedix:
The GA and stipends about
Deficit about $12k

MPH has had a lot of denial with deficits.
I don't see anywhere you went wrong.

I sure know MPH has very low ROI in Nigeria.
Best way to scale through is to have full funding and personal cash to foot your bills.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stanmedix: 6:47pm On Jun 19, 2019
No. That was my first
pradoworld:
Have you previously been refused before?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dumbiri99(f): 6:48pm On Jun 19, 2019
Stanmedix:

Thanks in anticipation.
This is terrible. Give us the financial figures on your i20 and your travel history
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by CptCharlesVane: 6:51pm On Jun 19, 2019
Wasn't adequately/sufficiently prepared ... I was unable to put forward a strong case ... Semantics. Emphasis on 'it's my fault not the VO' even when we know that VO sometimes is on a short fuse. How it is said too matters (to which extent, I wouldn't know...most of what I'm saying is just general interview tips)

Personally, I think anyone that doesn't fill the DS form themselves is not serious at all. How can a prospective graduate student pay an agent to fill information about themselves? And this may be apparent to the VO but not the applicant and the others waiting in line. So what the VO sees is different; what the next person in line observes is "everybody before me got coloured paper, even people with funding".

You never really know those on interview day who did or did not fill their DS-160 form or whatever themselves, or accurately so there are rarely any near identical profiles. The interview is just one part, the form goes way before you appear for the interview and I believe many denials are predetermined and the interview is just formality, except the person convinces otherwise.

Nobody should tell anyone what to say in the real sense, a lot of what is on here should serve as guidance. The applicant should know best why they want to go to the US and present their case as best they can and prove home ties because it is a non-immigrant visa.

A case in point here was a person who because he reads many cases here of people applying to more than two universities, misrepresented himself by claiming he applied to other schools when the truth was he applied to just one, and as fate would have it, mentioned that Columbia didn't require standardized exams from him. Imagine standing in front of the VO who has the internet and a computer to verify such outlandish statements. Dude didn't even consider that the interviewer could be an alumnus of the program and university the person is lying about. Or maybe have interviewed a number of students going for that same program at the university.

If you applied to one school only, then convince the VO why you applied to only one school. There are numerous reasons why and if you really want to apply to more than one school, would it be because of the visa interview or because you actually want to study at those other schools?

A lot of people can stand liars, but the ones they despise the most are the ones who lie directly at their faces. Lying is misrepresentation and only makes things more complicated and the visa more elusive.

Pefuele:

On the response to what change:'I am better prepared to prepare my case as I was unconvincing the last time'

What of if the VO then ask:'You were not prepared and you want to go and spend thousands of dollars for a degree?

I saw someone that was denied I think yesterday that said exactly the same thing....infact,he/she was denied immediately.The transcript was on this thread I can't remember the moniker though!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 6:53pm On Jun 19, 2019
Stanmedix:
Yes
You should have told the VO that you weren't given an official letter but it's stated on your I20

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Grass2Green: 6:53pm On Jun 19, 2019
I have a scholarship for my program for the 4 semesters which does not require any work and got a GA with full tuition waiver and stipends.
dumbiri99:

Scholarship (you are not asked to work for the department to have it) is different from graduate assistantship (you have to work for the department to have it). Which were you offered?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stanmedix: 6:54pm On Jun 19, 2019
GA and stipends $32,706
Uncle $12,790
Total 45,496
Total
dumbiri99:

This is terrible. Give us the financial figures on your i20 and your travel history
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dumbiri99(f): 6:56pm On Jun 19, 2019
Stanmedix:
GA and stipends $32,706
Uncle $12,790
Total 45,496
Total
Travel history?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stanmedix: 6:57pm On Jun 19, 2019
Said that
dreambound:

You should have told the VO that you weren't given an official letter but it's stated on your I20
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 6:58pm On Jun 19, 2019
Wretch32:
Two seemingly good transcripts today (with graduate assistantships and funding) yet denied

What’s going on
I've been wondering too .. funding is no longer the new ivy.
Maybe the VOs have done meeting regarding that. grin

Or wait, what if there's spy on this thread that is educating the VO of our tactics... grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stanmedix: 6:58pm On Jun 19, 2019
Have never crossed the 4 walls of the country
dumbiri99:

Travel history?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ay10yahoocom(f): 6:59pm On Jun 19, 2019
[ quote author=Tomiwaa post=79477254]6:30am
Visa delayed.
Good morning pass your I-20 and passport.

Q. How many other schools did you apply to?

Three

Q. Name them.

UCR, USF, LSU.
Q. How did you hear about the schools?

Last year at the annual conference of the Nigerian chapter of the American Chemical society, I networked with a few colleagues who recommended the schools I applied to.

Q. How many gave you admits?
I was rejected two and one waitlist for one.

Q. What kind of work will you be doing?

I will be working as a graduate assistant.

Q. Did you write the GRE?

Yes.

Q. What was your score?

Q. What will you be doing when you return?
I will be returning to conduct research in organic medicinal chemistry. Will be using knowledge of chemistry for organic synthesis of new drugs that can be of medicinal use.

Q. Who is paying for the remaining 12k?

My Uncle.

Q. What does he do?

He imports and distributes building materials.

Can you pass his statement?

Q. Why is this statement not in your sponsor's name?
(froze, in my mind I think I said)
A.. It is a corporate business account owned by my sponsor.....( attempts to flip through the SOA)

Q. What is the name of your sponsor.
Told her.

Game over.
Pink.

Deficit of 12k after Tuition waiver and Assistantship. Sponsor's SOA was his business account. [/quote]
Last year at the annual conference of the Nigerian chapter of the American Chemical society, I networked with a few colleagues who recommended the schools I applied to.
Check this very well, are sure there's Nigeria chapter of the America Chemical society, not Africa chemical society or international chemical society. Please be sure

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 7:06pm On Jun 19, 2019
Stanmedix:
$12k

That's around 4.5m, not a small money though. You just have to try again
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 7:31pm On Jun 19, 2019
Kapapa:
I thought they said they don't give Nigerians students visa again but someone got f1 visa today doe it mean the information is false
Search the news online again and all you'll see is news about the US embassy saying it's FALSE.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 7:32pm On Jun 19, 2019
Stanmedix:

Thanks in anticipation.
I am so sorry about your denial. A part of me feels it has something to do with your responses. You didn't write your full responses, your GA responsibilities, what did you explain? We also don't know if you fidgeted during the interview. Yes body language reveals a lot.
Yes, you have a GA but you also need to convince the VO about the authenticity of your studentship and your post graduation motive(if the need arises)
There's a mail your grad cord or your department must have sent you, it includes a congratulatory message and notice of assistantship offer. Go with that to your next interview.
I remember trying so hard to get an official letter of GA offer from the department but to no avail. I was later informed by my school that that email was the most official proof of funding I could get.
You would need mock interview(s), you will need to fight back. You deserve this visa, you are worthy, you are so worthy!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jun 19, 2019
Time2win:

That's around 4.5m, not a small money though. You just have to try again

bro for a deficit like this, what is the minimum balance that should be in the SOA?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dumbiri99(f): 7:36pm On Jun 19, 2019
Stanmedix:
Have never crossed the 4 walls of the country
Okay funding only guarantees approval when it is full funding. You can quickly re-interview in July and get travel experience to a quality country before that time or reapply without it, you can never tell. All the best. I know you're a genuine student but those VOs don't trust us. No one trusts Nigerians nowadays.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dumbiri99(f): 7:38pm On Jun 19, 2019
ay10yahoocom:
[ quote author=Tomiwaa post=79477254]6:30am
Visa delayed.
Good morning pass your I-20 and passport.

Q. How many other schools did you apply to?

Three

Q. Name them.

UCR, USF, LSU.
Q. How did you hear about the schools?

Q. How many gave you admits?
I was rejected two and one waitlist for one.

Q. What kind of work will you be doing?

I will be working as a graduate assistant.

Q. Did you write the GRE?

Yes.

Q. What was your score?

Q. What will you be doing when you return?
I will be returning to conduct research in organic medicinal chemistry. Will be using knowledge of chemistry for organic synthesis of new drugs that can be of medicinal use.

Q. Who is paying for the remaining 12k?

My Uncle.

Q. What does he do?

He imports and distributes building materials.

Can you pass his statement?

Q. Why is this statement not in your sponsor's name?
(froze, in my mind I think I said)
A.. It is a corporate business account owned by my sponsor.....( attempts to flip through the SOA)

Q. What is the name of your sponsor.
Told her.

Game over.
Pink.

Deficit of 12k after Tuition waiver and Assistantship. Sponsor's SOA was his business account.
Check this very well, are sure there's Nigeria chapter of the America Chemical society, not Africa chemical society or international chemical society. Please be sure
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:40pm On Jun 19, 2019
dreambound:

Or wait, what if there's spy on this thread that is educating the VO of our tactics... grin grin grin grin

I think VOs read this thread and wanted to send a message that they are unpredictable
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 7:43pm On Jun 19, 2019
LagosismyHome:

I think VOs read this thread and wanted to send a message that they are unpredictable
Very very possible.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 7:43pm On Jun 19, 2019
You might have said this as a joke but it’s actually realistically possible
Like can someone explain this? Twoods? Lagosismyhome? Anybody?
dreambound:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 7:44pm On Jun 19, 2019
There is no available date in July currently
dumbiri99:

Okay funding only guarantees approval when it is full funding. You can quickly re-interview in July and get travel experience to a quality country before that time or reapply without it, you can never tell. All the best. I know you're a genuine student but those VOs don't trust us. No one trusts Nigerians nowadays.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 7:48pm On Jun 19, 2019
Wretch32:
You might have said this as a joke but it’s actually realistically possible
Like can someone explain this? Twoods? Lagosismyhome? Anybody?
I actually said it as a joke but after I sent it I had a second thought...It might be possible grin grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 7:51pm On Jun 19, 2019
Perhaps, but this forum is so small that to use it as a means of sampling a large variety is somewhat unfair to be honest
LagosismyHome:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 7:51pm On Jun 19, 2019
dreambound:

Let me burst your bubbles.
VOs read this thread every now and then.

They are here with different monikers and as guests.

Matter of fact the VOs had a thread where they responded to questions at a certain time before it was closed.

More reason why we must not come here talking about things that will jeopardize us .

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stanmedix: 7:55pm On Jun 19, 2019
A bit nervous as almost everyone before me was refused visa.
I tried as much as possible to explain my duties as the GA even though I was not told in the mail what my duties would be.
I will print the email the sent me for the next interview.
How do I get to do the mock interview?
Thanks for the encouraging words dear
sharwama:

I am so sorry about your denial. A part of me feels it has something to do with your responses. You didn't write your full responses, your GA responsibilities, what did you explain? We also don't know if you fidgeted during the interview. Yes body language reveals a lot.
Yes, you have a GA but you also need to convince the VO about the authenticity of your studentship and your post graduation motive(if the need arises)
There's a mail your grad cord or your department must have sent you, it includes a congratulatory message and notice of assistantship offer. Go with that to your next interview.
I remember trying so hard to get an official letter of GA offer from the department but to no avail. I was later informed by my school that that email was the most official proof of funding I could get.
You would need mock interview(s), you will need to fight back. You deserve this visa, you are worthy, you are so worthy!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.