Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,685 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (64) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1361660 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 7:55pm On Jun 19, 2019
ViceChief:

bro for a deficit like this, what is the minimum balance that should be in the SOA?

If it's your parents, x1.5 of the amount or more should be there atleast. If it's your uncle/aunt/self, x2 of the amount or more should there

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stanmedix: 7:56pm On Jun 19, 2019
Uncle's SOA has about 6m
ViceChief:

bro for a deficit like this, what is the minimum balance that should be in the SOA?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Tohajan: 7:57pm On Jun 19, 2019
JanetDoe:
I had my interview at the US consulate yesterday. It was pretty basic/generic but here goes:
VO: Where are you going?
Me: I'm going to the University of Kansas Medical Centre, Kansas City, Kansas for my PhD in Biomedical Sciences.
VO: Why do you want this PhD?
Me: This PhD will equip me with the skills and training I need to become a successful biomedical researcher and qualify me for a job in academia.
VO: So you want to become an academic?
Me: Yes.
VO: The program is fully funded?
Me: Yes, I have a GRA.
VO: What is your highest qualification?
Me: I have a Bachelor of Pharmacy.
VO: When did you obtain this degree?
ME: 2016
VO: Are you married? Do you have kids?
ME: No and no.
VO: Ma'am, I'm going to approve your visa...

Let me ramble a bit: I'm not really one to post on online platforms such as these but given all that I have benefitted from this thread, it's only fair to give back however I can despite my reticence/discomfort. I first posted here before I had even started my grad school applications, asking for guidance as I had doubts about the competiveness of my profile and whether I wanted to go for a PhD or a Master's. Imperiouxx, Femi312 and other experienced posters were more than kind enough to allay my fears and offer helpful advice. I came across so many people at the consulate who clearly had no idea what was expected of them by the VOs and I'm doubly thankful I was made aware of this community and its insights. Thanks to everyone who takes out the time to answer questions (sometimes the same ones over and over) and particularly Walspring for helping with my SEVIS payment. Best of luck to everyone still in the throes of applications!
Congrats!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jun 19, 2019
Brown2Green:

Not true .
Uncles can fund even married men.

You are missing the point, under normal circumstances anyone can fund anyone, point I'm trying to make is, if a someone is willing to fund you they should be able to upfront you the funds to cover at least the first year, that way you can present your SOA along with theirs.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 7:58pm On Jun 19, 2019
LagosismyHome:

I think VOs read this thread and wanted to send a message that they are unpredictable

Exactly. I think they are sending a message. I have seen like 3 fully funded offer rejected. Whether there is funding or not, one has to be fully prepared.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by JoeBazz(m): 7:58pm On Jun 19, 2019
No spy here, they actually visit this thread. I once saw a system in the xray scanning room at the embassy with nairaland page on the monitor.
dreambound:

I've been wondering too .. funding is no longer the new ivy.
Maybe the VOs have done meeting regarding that. grin

Or wait, what if there's spy on this thread that is educating the VO of our tactics... grin grin grin grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 8:00pm On Jun 19, 2019
Lol
Also, it’s not like assistantships or scholarships are easy to come by and American universities are not handing them out like paper so I don’t understand the reasoning behind it.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 8:00pm On Jun 19, 2019
Brown2Green:

Let me burst your bubbles.
VOs read this thread every now and then.

They are here with different monikers and as guests.

Matter of fact the VOs had a thread where they responded to questions at a certain time before it was closed.

More reason why we must not come here talking about things that will jeopardize us .
Lord.
Yes, I remember seeing that thread when I was still a Nairaland guest...was wondering what they were doing on Nairaland.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 8:06pm On Jun 19, 2019
We already know VOs are unpredictable, they should stop breaking the hearts of students who worked their asses off to get accepted into good schools and even went an extra length to get funding. We know they are unpredictable, mummy LagosismyHome please tell them we know and we need no more conviction.
I am in pains right now, it's been a tough day for me reading/ hearing about these denials.
My heart goes out to all who were affected. I pray you learn the lessons, correct your mistakes(if any) and pluck up courage to rise again. Dust yourself up and try again.
To those who are yet to have a conversation with the VO, it's okay. You've got this, just go do your thing. I know you are nervous and probably anxious(yeah I was there few weeks ago). You will be fine. Don't let the rejections get to you, your case is different. I am sending you lots of love, light and hope. Go get that visa!
May the force be with you!

19 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tactmayor: 8:17pm On Jun 19, 2019
sharwama:
We already know VOs are unpredictable, they should stop breaking the hearts of students who worked their asses off to get accepted into good schools and even went an extra length to get funding. We know they are unpredictable, mummy LagosismyHome please tell them we know and we need no more conviction.
I am in pains right now, it's been a tough day for me reading/ hearing about these denials.
My heart goes out to all who were affected. I pray you learn the lessons, correct your mistakes(if any) and pluck up courage to rise again. Dust yourself up and try again.
To those who are yet to have a conversation with the VO, it's okay. You've got this, just go do your thing. I know you are nervous and probably anxious(yeah I was there few weeks ago). You will be fine. Don't let the rejections get to you, your case is different. I am sending you lots of love, light and hope. Go get that visa!
May the force be with you!

Madam please reply my mail na hian sad

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jun 19, 2019
From your transcripts you didn't get to the point where the VO asked to look at your SOA or sponsors SOA, which means the VO wasn't convinced you were eligible based on your response regarding how you will fund your education. Besides if you had presented your uncles SOA its not up double the deficit, I don't expect your uncle to empty his account because of you. You would have been in a better position with a student loan. The VOs know what it takes to live and study in the US, trust me it's not beans. You can apply again, but to be honest I don't see your chances improving.

I would say this again if anyone here has family willing to sponsor them, that family should be able to advance you the funds to deposit in your account at the beginning of your application process, that way on your I-20 part of your funding shows from personal funds, you will come off in a better position than someone with uncle statement worth hundreds of millions of Naira. unless of course the funds are not really available for you and its just a means for you to get visa and escape from the shit hole

Stanmedix:
But my account is quite short of the deficit as I just started work few months ago quote author=blackmamba147 post=79487254]

I think the bolded above is where the problem is, you are a doctor working and still need sponsorship from your uncle, I think you would have been in a better position if you were sponsoring yourself or you had a scholarship. I would advise folks that have family that want to sponsor them to make the family member deposit the funds in your account at the start of your admission process, that way you provide your own SOA as proof of funds, especially for folks that are working. Except the idea of using a family members SOA is a guise to escape out of the shit hole

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stanmedix: 8:26pm On Jun 19, 2019
Thanks for your response.
I work work on it
blackmamba147:
From your transcripts you didn't get to the point where the VO asked to look at your SOA or sponsors SOA, which means the VO wasn't convinced you were eligible based on your response regarding how you will fund your education. Besides if you had presented your uncles SOA its not up double the deficit, I don't expect your uncle to empty his account because of you. You would have been in a better position with a student loan. The VOs know what it takes to live and study in the US, trust me it's not beans. You can apply again, but to be honest I don't see your chances improving.

I would say this again if anyone here has family willing to sponsor them, that family should be able to advance you the funds to deposit in your account at the beginning of your application process, that way on your I-20 part of your funding shows from personal funds, you will come off in a better position than someone with uncle statement worth hundreds of millions of Naira. unless of course the funds are not really available for you and its just a means for you to get visa and escape from the shit hole

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 8:31pm On Jun 19, 2019
JoeBazz:
No spy here, they actually visit this thread. I once saw a system in the xray scanning room at the embassy with nairaland page on the monitor.
WTF
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by JoeBazz(m): 8:33pm On Jun 19, 2019
Reading the Indians transcript today on MS US page, I observed many of them were rejected even with funding, just few approvals. I'm starting to think the VOs have monthly quota or target like this Visa issuance is not fair.
My advice to everyone here that is having issue with there Visa being approved should also try universities in other countries. When we tell VOs that we applied to Universities in other country they wont tag us desperate or potential immigrants.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sosao(f): 8:36pm On Jun 19, 2019
Please I need a hotel close to Abuja embassy..
Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 8:39pm On Jun 19, 2019
tactmayor:

Madam please reply my mail na hian sad
You are not a tech guy, uncle please avoid me grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jun 19, 2019
blackmamba147:

So you think self sponsorship is better than parents/uncle sponsorship? What if the applicant is a fresh university graduate? How will he explain the large funds to the VO?

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tactmayor: 8:50pm On Jun 19, 2019
sharwama:

You are not a tech guy, uncle please avoid me grin

Hahahaha, for your info...engineering disciplines brought about tech and I am an Engineer
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 8:50pm On Jun 19, 2019
Walspring is your plug for SEVIS payment. He assisted with mine in less that 24hours.

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 8:52pm On Jun 19, 2019
tactmayor:

Hahahaha, for your info...engineering disciplines brought about tech and I am an Engineer
Oh wow! In that case, I might consider wink

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Cocao(f): 8:52pm On Jun 19, 2019
Harvard business school just opened applications for fall 2020.

Fall 2020 guys hope you are getting ready!!!

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Americanpizza(f): 8:54pm On Jun 19, 2019
Hi guys, I've been a silent reader on here, please I want to make an enquiry, I was offered 60% scholarship, with a deficit of 20k deficit. Tuition after scholarship is $6500 and the $13500 living expenses and the rest, all written on my soa. My aunt is my sponsor. her SOA balance reads $45k, the account is in her name and its a corporate account.hope I'm okay cos my interview is few days away.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Walspring: 8:54pm On Jun 19, 2019
Googledrive12:
Walspring please check your mail, please walspring can you check your mail , walspring check your mail please, check your mail now walspring !!!

Email replied since the day you sent it. Just check your spam or junk box and you will see it there.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Walspring: 8:55pm On Jun 19, 2019
Sosao:
Please I need a hotel close to Abuja embassy..
Thanks

They are plenty and it depend on your budge.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jun 19, 2019
The post was for people that have been working, Read my first post Im sure I indicated that.

ViceChief:

So you think self sponsorship is better than parents/uncle sponsorship? What if the applicant is a fresh university graduate? How will he explain the large funds to the VO?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Walspring: 8:58pm On Jun 19, 2019
@All who sent me pm
I replied every messages I get in my email even though I am not on nairaland, I advice if you send me pm and after 1 hours you didn’t see my reply just check your spam or junk box my reply is there waiting for you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 9:00pm On Jun 19, 2019
Americanpizza:
Hi guys, I've been a silent reader on here, please I want to make an enquiry, I was offered 60% scholarship, with a deficit of 20k deficit. Tuition after scholarship is $6500 and the $13500 living expenses and the rest, all written on my soa. My aunt is my sponsor. her SOA balance reads $45k, the account is in her name and its a corporate account.hope I'm okay cos my interview is few days away.

Your SOA is ok.

No one can tell you anything about anything.

Our own is to observe the trends and suggest based on recent happenings.
That being said, focus on your interview and delivery because as it stands, no one can predict anything anymore.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Kunvics: 9:08pm On Jun 19, 2019
Thank you

Brown2Green:

Your SOA is ok.

No one can tell you anything about anything.

Our own is to observe the trends and suggest based on recent happenings.
That being said, focus on your interview and delivery because as it stands, no one can predict anything anymore.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 9:09pm On Jun 19, 2019
I disagree
blackmamba147:

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Kunvics: 9:15pm On Jun 19, 2019
my ba3 is down had to use my friends phone cos i need this info urgently. my ba3 got flat. Than

Kunvics:
My aunt is thinking of transferring my expenses with tuition to my account, she's sending $32k to my account....is it advisable she do that as my interview is in few days, won't it create red flag as its going to show on my soa that the money was transfered into my account few days to my interview. My aunt asked if she should leave the money in her account and credit my account later after my visa has been approved. I'm to decide which. Pls which is more advisable. Thank u

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 9:17pm On Jun 19, 2019
Kunvics:
My aunt is thinking of transferring my expenses with tuition to my account, she's sending $32k to my account....is it advisable she do that as my interview is in few days, won't it create red flag as its going to show on my soa that the money was transfered into my account few days to my interview. My aunt asked if she should leave the money in her account and credit my account later after my visa has been approved. I'm to decide which. Pls which is more advisable. Thank u

Red flag
P
But you can go with a legal document showing she is gifting you that sum for your studies
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by hollateejay: 9:18pm On Jun 19, 2019
JoeBazz:
Reading the Indians transcript today on MS US page, I observed many of them were rejected even with funding, just few approvals. I'm starting to think the VOs have monthly quota or target like this Visa issuance is not fair.
My advice to everyone here that is having issue with there Visa being approved should also try universities in other countries. When we tell VOs that we applied to Universities in other country they wont tag us desperate or potential immigrants.

Exactly what I thought

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.