Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,832 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (754) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1363616 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (751) (752) (753) (754) (755) (756) (757) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 11:57pm On Dec 21, 2020
babs4swag:
My emergency appointment was denied but surprisingly I got email today to reschedule just chill u will get it
lagos?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by babs4swag(m): 12:12am On Dec 22, 2020
Friedpotato:
lagos?
Yes, lagos
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 12:15am On Dec 22, 2020
babs4swag:

Yes, lagos
when did you apply and what dates are available?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Asiwaju101: 12:21am On Dec 22, 2020
Friedpotato:
when did you apply and what dates are available?

Are dates available anywhere
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by zeeLady: 3:42am On Dec 22, 2020
Where you going without your daughter innitially? Do you you have other children you are leaving behind? Your hubby in Nigeria? MSc or Phd ? Any funding?

Mumzeeo:
Hello everyone. I had my visa interview on the 18th of December in Abuja and I was denied the Visa. Please I have a question, do I have to bring my 20month old daughter for my next interview and please and please can anyone give me Mr. Fairheart's email address or number. My email address is withsherrynow@yahoo.com. Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ftos: 4:07am On Dec 22, 2020
Please, can someone give update on dates available at Lagos and Abuja?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by zeeLady: 4:07am On Dec 22, 2020
From a student who isnt on nairalnad. I asked him to write his transcript.
He started looking for spring admission sometime in August 2020.
He did everything himself, I only went through his Statement of purpose (when he was looking for admission) and transcript, did some mock interview with him and offered some advice here and there during the whole process.

I am sharing this mainly for two reasons: firstly because his undergraduate course is different from the graduate course he is going for and lastly because he had very little funding.

BACKGROUND
No GRE
No IELTS/TOEFL (the school accepted his WAEC in lieu of them)
One year COA $30K
cultural scholarship: $3k
BSc civil engineering (concentration: structures). CGPA is either 2.9 or 3.0
Proposed MSc : Computer science

Visa interview Mon 21 Dec 2020
Abuja

VO:next person.
(I walked up to him and greeted Me: good day, happy holiday.
VO: Thank you. Pass me your passport and your i20.
(Me passing it to him)
Me: there you have it.
(He takes it and types for few seconds)
VO: what do you do or a living?
Me: I am a Full stack software development at xxxx. Xxxx is an agro tech firm that bla bla bla...
(VO looks at the I20)
VO: how will this degree help you?
Me: As a full stack software developer, my focus has been on Artificial intelligence for Structural Engineering. The combination of the knowledge from my undergraduate in civil engineering where I focused on computing for Structural Engineering and the knowledge from a master's in Computer and Information systems, I will be able to build Autonomous Construction equipments. These equipments will play a vital role by eliminating injuries and fatalities in construction sites. Also the knowledge is required in the next phase of my current employment.
(Nodeded and looked expressed).
VO: who will be paying for your trip?
Me: My parents are my sponsors and I also have a merit scholarship from the university.
VO: What do your parents do?
Me: My dad is a registered electrical engineer and also an electrical engineer consultant. He owns a commercial cooking oil production plant and is also a part time lecturer in University of............... My mum is also a registered architect and a consultant. She manages both public and private real estate development. She is also the current deputy director of works department in...........
VO: Ok. Congratulations, take this paper( he offers me an A4 paper with my I20) on the paper you will see all the information you need for picking up your passport.
Me: Thank you, do have a great day.
VO: and you too.

BE ENCOURAGED

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by babs4swag(m): 4:50am On Dec 22, 2020
[I applied. Lastweek and emergency appointment got denied quote author=Friedpotato post=97308391] when did you apply and what dates are available? [/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Babygal1990: 5:14am On Dec 22, 2020
Good morning, I need advice, I applied for schools in uK and till this moment no admission yet, so I want to face US now, I have my 1st degree in surveying and geoinformatic but currently have a furniture and interior store now, thou I had worked from nov 2015 (Immediately I finished nysc) till nov 2019 . Opened my coy 2020 june .... currently looking for a school where I won’t get to write sat, gre, tofel or ielts . It is advisable to further in surveying ? If I should further in interiors will I be granted a visa? Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by zeeLady: 7:14am On Dec 22, 2020
What do you really want to do. This thing is first about you, then about strategy to acheive what you want.

Babygal1990:
Good morning, I need advice, I applied for schools in uK and till this moment no admission yet, so I want to face US now, I have my 1st degree in surveying and geoinformatic but currently have a furniture and interior store now, thou I had worked from nov 2015 (Immediately I finished nysc) till nov 2019 . Opened my coy 2020 june .... currently looking for a school where I won’t get to write sat, gre, tofel or ielts . It is advisable to further in surveying ? If I should further in interiors will I be granted a visa? Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Mumzeeo: 8:14am On Dec 22, 2020
Hello everyone, some of you asked for my transcript, I'll do my best to type out what I remember.

Date of interview: 18th December
Venue: Abuja
School: University of Houston (PHD)
Funding: Covers tuition only
Visa Denied

My interview went like this

VO: where are you going

Me: University of Houston for a PhD in Petroleum Engineering

VO: would you be going with your baby? (My baby was with me for the interview, the guy verifying the documents asked me to go back home and bring her).

Me. Yes

VO: have you ever travelled with her before?

Me: not out of the country, this would be my first time.

VO: where is your husband

Me: he's is here in Nigeria and would not be coming with us, he is in the military and presently working at the Navy headquarters

VO: have you ever worked before

Me: yes, I worked for two years but I resigned from my job about four months ago to start my PhD, I am currently done with my first semester

VO: who would care for your daughter when you go to school

Me: I have looked up the cost pre schools around university of Houston and I hope to enroll her in one on the days I have to go to school (my baby is 20months old)

VO: who is paying for your fees and expenses (something like that, cant remember the exact words)

Me: first I have a scholarship that covers my tuition, the remaining expenses will be paid by my father in law. He is a retired Admiral of the Nigerian Navy and presently the MD of a Global Spectrum Energy PLC, a shipping company that offers hipping services to offshore oil and gas companies.

VO: types endlessly and says visa will be denied for reasons stated in this paper (he passes me the green sheet)

Now I have to state that a mistake was made on my I-20 and I only noticed it a night to my interview. For funding it was stated spouse as my sponsor but all my financial documents I sent to my school showed father in law so I wonder why the mistake was made. It has been corrected now and I have a new I-20 document.

Also for my funding, only in state tuition was highlighted as the funding from my school which is about $8.7k. And the deficit $6.5k was added to my own costs to be paid by me. When I reached out to the I-20 officer in my school she said out of state tuition is not included in the I-20, please is this true especially when the school paid all my fees which amounts to 18k annually, why reflect only 8k?

Also do I take my baby for the next interview, people kept on asking why I took her, but the man verifying the documents said I should go back home and get her if now I will have to schedule another interview for het. I'm confused.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 8:33am On Dec 22, 2020
Mumzeeo:
Hello everyone, some of you asked for my transcript, I'll do my best to type out what I remember.

Visa Denied

VO: would you be going with your baby? (My baby was with me for the interview, the guy verifying the documents asked me to go back home and bring her).

Me. Yes

Me: he's is here in Nigeria and would not be coming with us, he is in the military and presently working at the Navy headquarters

Me: yes, I worked for two years but I resigned from my job about four months ago to start my PhD, I am currently done with my first semester

Me: I have looked up the cost pre schools around university of Houston and I hope to enroll her in one on the days I have to go to school (my baby is 20months old)

VO: who is paying for your fees and expenses (something like that, cant remember the exact words)

Me: first I have a scholarship that covers my tuition, the remaining expenses will be paid by my father in law. He is a retired Admiral of the Nigerian Navy and presently the MD of a Global Spectrum Energy PLC, a shipping company that offers hipping services to offshore oil and gas companies.

VO: types endlessly and says visa will be denied for reasons stated in this paper (he passes me the green sheet)

Now I have to state that a mistake was made on my I-20 and I only noticed it a night to my interview. For funding it was stated spouse as my sponsor but all my financial documents I sent to my school showed father in law so I wonder why the mistake was made. It has been corrected now and I have a new I-20 document.

Also for my funding, only in state tuition was highlighted as the funding from my school which is about $8.7k. And the deficit $6.5k was added to my own costs to be paid by me. When I reached out to the I-20 officer in my school she said out of state tuition is not included in the I-20, please is this true especially when the school paid all my fees which amounts to 18k annually, why reflect only 8k?

Also do I take my baby for the next interview, people kept on asking why I took her, but the man verifying the documents said I should go back home and get her if now I will have to schedule another interview for het. I'm confused.

The problem really is your sponsor. You mentioned a different person to what you already stated on the visa application. If your husband is buoyant enough, you could just put him in the application because he’s in the best position to be your sponsor. If not, your father in law is enough. Be sure to not digress from what is on your application form. For your funding, you don’t have problem with that. You were considered an in-state student. You should reschedule and please stick to what’s on your confirmation page when you are being interviewed again. You have a strong case to be considered a visa. Please reschedule.

It is okay to go with your kid. That’s the best thing you can do else, you will be asked questions like “who will take care of your kid when you are gone and your husband is far away”

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Digbick: 9:26am On Dec 22, 2020
Please what is the solution to the issue of no records?
Note: the receipt number entered is correct.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ugomnaanny: 9:58am On Dec 22, 2020
zeeLady:
What do you really want to do. This thing is first about you, then about strategy to acheive what you want.

would like to further in interiors , would I b granted a visa?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Muleriders: 10:20am On Dec 22, 2020
richdopeboi:
Hi Guys please I need some help a cousin of mine is trying to study in the USA but he got degree in agriculture engineering but finished with third class I just need advice on schools to apply to and what he needs to do please someone to help me and show me how I don’t mind paying a token for the details .

1. He should Get a student copy of his transcript, it doesn't have to be official.

2. Use the free wes evaluator tool on wes website to evaluate your transcript to 4.0 (US scale). It's completely free

3. Get back to me or quote me on this thread on your outcome. If your evaluated grade is between 2.2/4 and 2.5/4, you stand a better chance for a "conditional admission" in masters level if you can back it up a little with high GRE score. I will be waiting your your evaluation outcome.

Warm regards

10 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by osadestiny: 10:26am On Dec 22, 2020
Please my people is it possible for me to fill another ds-160 form because I wanted to make a little change on it and my interview is next week.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by GeoOla25(m): 10:40am On Dec 22, 2020
osadestiny:
Please my people is it possible for me to fill another ds-160 form because I wanted to make a little change on it and my interview is next week.
You can make changes before 72 hours to your interview
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by osadestiny: 10:52am On Dec 22, 2020
GeoOla25:

You can make changes before 72 hours to your interview

Where can I make the changes because I know that I have submitted the ds-160 form and there is no way for me to make changes except if I am filling another ds-160 form, the reason why I wanted to make some changes is because on my ds-160 the place they asked who is sponsoring the trip. I went to put my name there so I was thinking it was just only the flight ticket they met but on my I-20 it state that my family will provide the expenses that is my parents, so I will be using my dad’s bank statement. So I do not if that will cause any problem to me because I placed my name on the person sponsoring the trip. Please I want to know what I can do in this position. Thank you all.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Paragontek: 11:23am On Dec 22, 2020
Good morning all.
Visa Approved in Abuja yesterday. Transcript soon!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by FutureSenator: 11:38am On Dec 22, 2020
Paragontek:
Good morning all.
Visa Approved in Abuja yesterday. Transcript soon!

In the DS-160 form, the question of "Person/Entity paying for your trip"

Does the trip means cost of study in USA or just the flight ticket and other expenses?

@fairheart
@all
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by quasarJose: 12:22pm On Dec 22, 2020
zeeLady:
Where you going without your daughter innitially? Do you you have other children you are leaving behind? Your hubby in Nigeria? MSc or Phd ? Any funding?

Good day.. Can you help me look into my SOP?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by osadestiny: 1:00pm On Dec 22, 2020
FutureSenator:

Does the trip means cost of study in USA or just the flight ticket and other expenses?

@fairheart
@all

I think that is exactly the question I was asking before please can we help in this.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by chibertha(f): 1:53pm On Dec 22, 2020
Go with your baby and also apply for her F2 too be sure to update your 1-20 to include her.
University of Houston should have a day care center for students and other staff, ask them.
There are a lot of day care around the city though expensive.

Mumzeeo:

Visa Denied

Me. Yes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by chibertha(f): 1:59pm On Dec 22, 2020
Total expenses which includes but not limited to
Fees
Return ticket
Accommodation
Etc

FutureSenator:

@fairheart
@all

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lordsagna: 2:23pm On Dec 22, 2020
Good afternoon Nlanders, I want to ask some questions pls pardon my naivety. I'm a year one chemical engineering student but I've got passion for medicine nd I wanna study it in the US but I'm from a lower social class, so what I wanted to ask is can I take SAT exam to get a fully funded scholarship to study a medical related course in the US nd later ,maybe be after graduating get a direct entry to study medicine?
And also what is the cost of writing SAT?
are all these dilemma up there possible?
PS: I'm nineteen years.

all opinions are accepted.
thanks

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:44pm On Dec 22, 2020
Lordsagna:
Good afternoon Nlanders, I want to ask some questions pls pardon my naivety. I'm a year one chemical engineering student but I've got passion for medicine nd I wanna study it in the US but I'm from a lower social class, so what I wanted to ask is can I take SAT exam to get a fully funded scholarship to study a medical related course in the US nd later ,maybe be after graduating get a direct entry to study medicine?

thanks

It's almost impossible for lower social class to study medicine in the US. It easier doing the medicine in Nigeria and then doing USMLE after

Medicine in the USA Is supper expensive for everyone. That one degree that nobody is exempted from the high cost. Scholarship will go only so far that you rarely see full ride all the way

However if you want to try, you can and SAT is about 50k naira range

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lordsagna: 2:58pm On Dec 22, 2020
LagosismyHome:

It's almost impossible for lower social class to study medicine in the US. It easier doing the medicine in Nigeria and then doing USMLE after

Medicine in the USA Is supper expensive for everyone. That one degree that nobody is exempted from the high cost. Scholarship will go so far that you rarely see full ride all the way

Thanks for your response ma'am, there is no need trying if the possibility of getting what I wanted is zero.
LagosismyHome:

Medicine in the USA Is supper expensive for everyone. That one degree that nobody is exempted from the high cost. Scholarship will go so far that you rarely see full ride all the way

Thanks for your response ma'am, there is no need trying if the possibility of getting what I wanted is zero.
LagosismyHome:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:10pm On Dec 22, 2020
Lordsagna:

How academically sound are you ... if you are then with life you never know. Never say never

Some have made it however few and however challenging the road it....so yes some few made it to the finishing line

However the decision is for you alone to make

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lordsagna: 3:16pm On Dec 22, 2020
LagosismyHome:

How academically sound are you ... if you are then with life you never know. Never say never

Some have made it however few and however challenging the road it....so yes some few made it to the finishing line

However the decision is for you alone to make

okay ma'am, I'll try it out maybe luck will smile at my side. thanks for the encouragement.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by zeeLady: 3:22pm On Dec 22, 2020
ugomnaanny:
would like to further in interiors , would I b granted a visa?

One option is get admission in a field related to your first degree in a school rhat also offer the furniture degree (which you truly want to do) and then when you get there, you switch programmes.

A second option is seeking for admission in what you really want to do (furniture). But you will have to develop a persuasive reason for the switch at the embassy.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by zeeLady: 3:26pm On Dec 22, 2020
Lordsagna:

thanks

Cost wise, its always better to do medicine in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (751) (752) (753) (754) (755) (756) (757) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.