Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic (44073 Views)

Can A Diabetic Foot Be Treated Or Best Amputated? / Unripe Plantain Is A Diabetic Diet For Diabetes And Iron Deficiency / American Herbalist Sentenced To Prison After Death Of Diabetic Boy (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by beejayphako(m): 4:00am On Jun 11, 2019
Younghacka:
My Dad Is Diabetic And He Has Been Having Issues With A Choice Of Swallow.

Eba(Garri) And Loi-Loi(Fufu) Are Out Of The Equation Because Of Their High Starch Content.

He Was Using Plantain Flour But He Complained Of Constipation And He Stopped Using It. . . He Was Also Using Wheat Flour But He Stopped Due To Some Health Complications (I Think Something Concerning Blood Group O+).

Any Advice Or Experience Will Be Appreciated.

P.S: For Some Months Now He Has Not Eaten Swallow, Just Diabetic Rice And Other Food Suitable For Diabetics, But We Are Nigerians And Man Must Swallow.

PLAINTAIN . You can actually sundry it and grind it, it can be turned, like amala, and it's very nice for diabetic patients. You can get dried one in the market

1 Like

Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Nobody: 4:36am On Jun 11, 2019
Younghacka:

Eba(Garri) And Loi-Loi(Fufu) Are Out Of The Equation Because Of Their High Starch Content.

He Was Using Plantain Flour But He Complained Of Constipation And He Stopped Using It. . . He Was Also Using Wheat Flour But He Stopped Due To Some Health Complications (I Think Something Concerning Blood Group O+).

P.S: For Some Months Now He Has Not Eaten Swallow, Just Diabetic Rice And Other Food Suitable For Diabetics, But We Are Nigerians And Man Must Swallow.

He should eat eba. It has less starch. Wheat is not good for diabetic patients due to some contents that negatively affect their health. You are afraid that if he eats eba, his sugar level will rise, this is not true. I monitored my dad's when he was in hospital and I found out that he if are white rice or eba in the evening, the sugar level doesn't rise by morning when he's tested. You can try this with him and monitor the sugar level to convince you on what to do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Forex4u(m): 4:42am On Jun 11, 2019
The best for diabetic patients from experience is ijebu garri

1 Like

Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:00am On Jun 11, 2019
NoHoper:
Acha...common in jos plateau state, but you can find it in major markets in major towns in the country.

Very low glycaemic index, ideal for diabetics.
Please I Dont Know Of This Acha, Does It Have An English Name?
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:02am On Jun 11, 2019
KingLennon:
Lesson for all: know your sugar level today.
I Dread That Diabetes More Than HIV. . . It Can Limit Your Life To The Max. . .
May God Keep Us Healthy.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:05am On Jun 11, 2019
sherylbakky:
The best for him is d plaintain flour tho but as he is reacting to it, he needs to find a way of probably "mixing" it wit maybe yam flour or very little cassava flour n see how it goes.

I said very little oooo, esp if it's gonna be cassava flour.

PS : If the hospital he's using has Dietetics department, it's better he visit d department anyway. This is what happens when people think Doctors "are all in all".
Thanks. . . Plantain Is The Best When It Comes To Control Of The Blood Glucose Level, But For His System's Reaction, I Think We'll Try The Oathmeal, Maybe We'll Return To Plantain Someday.

1 Like

Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:07am On Jun 11, 2019
kaykay1980:
Try unripe plantain floor then ask your Doctor for drugs that help soften his bowel for easy discharge
Okay, Thanks.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:10am On Jun 11, 2019
mrvitalis:

None of those those are high carb

Try coconut flour ,almomd flour , vegetable flours maybe be expensive but its worth it
Okay, Thanks.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:11am On Jun 11, 2019
[quote author=yeancahwunmi post=79204907][/quote]
I Think We'll Try This, Thanks.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:13am On Jun 11, 2019
ekensi01:
@younghacka get wheat mix it with yam floor.
Will The Yam Flour Not Increase His Blood Glucose Level?

1 Like

Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by femi4: 5:13am On Jun 11, 2019
Younghacka:

Amala all the way

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:17am On Jun 11, 2019
Regiomontanus:
Must he eat swallow? In life, you can't always have things your way. Certain situations demand that you adjust whether you like it or not. Let him forget about swallow. If he doesn't eat swallow, will he die?
He Has Been Without Eating Swallow For Months Now, I Pity Him Though Cos I Cant Imagine Myself Not Eating Swallow For A Month. . .
His Diet Is Already Limited Considering He Does Not Eat Yam, Bread, Rice, Garri Etc. . .
So The Swallow Will Really Help His Already Limited Diet, Thanks.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by emexc11(m): 5:18am On Jun 11, 2019
Guinea corn (dawa) should be his best option. It's glycemic index is not high and it mops the bad cholesterol from the system.

2 Likes

Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:25am On Jun 11, 2019
soloehis:
First what type of diabetes? My mum was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes but there is this drug my brothers in Germany always buy for her yearly that enables her eat every thing..for the type of food I think you should have it processed yourself so u can be sure of the content.. U can get bunch of unripe plantain peel and slice, then put it in the sun to dry after that u grind it..try it and u will see the difference
Type 2. . . Thanks.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:27am On Jun 11, 2019
Fejok01:
Buy oatmeal swallow. It's actually good for diabetics. And pls, look for a nutritionist, they will be able to plan his diet.

I Will Get The Oatmeal Today. . . Then We'll See A Nutritionist ASAP.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:29am On Jun 11, 2019
legabosh:
Rayna Roasted Oat Flour is the best swallow for Diabetic patient .it helps to regulate Blood sugar ,Blood pressure and fight against bad cholesterol. Therefore, it is tested and trusted,I would suggest you look for the Rayna Oat product. I am sure that your daddy will be happy with you forever. Try it and thank me later
I Will Look For It In The Supermarket Today, Thanks.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:31am On Jun 11, 2019
J111333:
Farina will be good for him. It's like pounded yam, that's what my uncle eats.
He Eats Farina From Time To Time. . .
But It Can't Be Eaten As A Swallow. Thanks.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:32am On Jun 11, 2019
Phut:

Use coconut flour. It has virtually zero carb content and so will not raise the blood sugar. You would have to mix the coconut flour with a thickner such as psyllium husk, in order to get it to have the fufulike consistency. Psyllium husk will have added benefit for your Dad since it is high fiber and is taken to prevent constipation/make a person have regular bowel movements.
Can I Get These From A Supermarket?
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:34am On Jun 11, 2019
Please Forward Your Mail To Wisdomgbaranbiri@gmail.com
@ ofornwa, Princewillizuna
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:36am On Jun 11, 2019
Oluwakemisolami:
From experience, u can get 2 pieces of unripe of unripe plaintain to 1 slice of yam and pound it together. Let him eat it with enof vegetables. Thats what i give my dad cos he also complained abt wheat and d rest. Just gv it a try.
Thanks, But Will The Yam Not Increase The Blood Glucose? My Dad's Sugar Level Is Quite Unstable.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:38am On Jun 11, 2019
18wheeler:
Maybe he should try acha. A localcereal found mostly in parts of plateau and southern kaduna areas. Low in sugar and high in fiber. I don’t know the name in English but it’s most recommended for diabetics. Look for it and study it well. Then seek professional advise before applying. I’m sure it’ll work. It has for many I know. Good luck.
Thanks.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:41am On Jun 11, 2019
SweetCunt97:
Cabbage Swallow. They make swallow out of cabbage.. Kindly research how it's done.
Okay. I Will.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:43am On Jun 11, 2019
Adinije:
Op, Try coconut flour swallow, eggplant swallow, cabbage swallow.

You will process them yourself. You will also need a binder, e.g psyllium husk, chia seed.

For better understanding, search for videos on how to make these foods on YouTube.

Okay. I Will Do Just That, Thanks.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Nobody: 5:45am On Jun 11, 2019
Jmk9292:
Try wheat

Lol. Bad advice grin

What's different about wheat? It is still 100 Percent carbohydrate.

1 Like

Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:45am On Jun 11, 2019
cescky:

My brother in addition to the foods..my suggestion may attract abuse but trust me...and dig into what i say.

Get Kenneth haggin books especially on faith and find how him and thousands of other have been healed of terminal diseases and death...just google and you will see free copies...even in in christ embassy more life threatening ailments are always wiped out..as you dig on the right food dig on thesr as well, you wont regret.

Its written your father is healed already..just read my recommendation and learn how your dad can appropriate it.all the best
Thanks For This Suggestion, There Is Nothing God Cannot Do.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:50am On Jun 11, 2019
Eco2580:

Qoute me if u didnt get it (Couscous) there, I will send some u.
I Will Really Appreciate. I Will Check Supermarket Today If I Can Get It.
How Can I Contact You, Here's My Email: wisdomgbaranbiri@gmail.com
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Nobody: 5:50am On Jun 11, 2019
Visit a Dietician
Younghacka:

Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:51am On Jun 11, 2019
quadraheem:

Let him try Camel milk powder and see the wonder.
You can get in touch with me on 08027356122
okay, Thanks.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by johntolu: 5:56am On Jun 11, 2019
Younghacka:

Please I Dont Know Of This Acha, Does It Have An English Name?

Glycaemic Index and Load of Acha (Fonio) in Healthy and Diabetic Subjects.

Article in Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology 5(1):117-122 · April 2011 with 1,341 Reads
Cite this publication

Janet O. Alegbejo
9.34Ahmadu Bello University
D.A. Ameh
William Ogala
25.48Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital
Salisu Ibrahim
16.93Umaru Musa Yar'adua University Katsina

Abstract
Acha or Fonio is a popular cereal consumed by the diabetics' subjects and it contributes substantially to the total food intake of the diabetic subjects in Nigeria. It has become very expensive as the only major acceptable carbohydrate food and therefore it is necessary to determine its glycaemic index and load of Acha among the Type II diabetic and healthy control subjects. Ten volunteer Type II diabetics and seven healthy subjects consented for the metabolic studies. Fifty grams available carbohydrate of Acha (Digitaria exilis Stapf) meal and okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L Moench) soup was used as test food while 50 grams of glucose served as the reference food. The blood glucose responses were used to calculate the area under the blood glucose curve (AUC) to determine the glycaemic index of the meal. The percentage of carbohydrate in the meal multiplied by glycaemic index was equal to glycaemic load. The glycaemic index in Type II diabetics and healthy subjects were found to be 49 and 35 respectively. The glycaemic load of Acha meal was 17.5 for control groups and 24.5 in Type II diabetic subjects. The Glycaemic index (GI) of Acha meal is low in both Type II diabetics and healthy subjects. The glycaemic load of the Acha (D exilis ) meal is just enough for control and high for the Type II diabetic subjects. The GL could explain why despite the consumption of Acha by Type II diabetic their blood glucose could not be controlled because they regularly consume it in their homes more than the portion size served in this research. Therefore, it is necessary to adjust the quantity of Acha (D. exilis) meal consumed by diabetics' subjects.

COPIED from the website of ResearchGate.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 5:59am On Jun 11, 2019
telecomtaio1:
Speaking from recent experience (2months ago) My blood sugar rose to 389 (21.6), I was given Daonil 5mg and Metformin 500mg, after a week of no improvement, the prescription was changed to Diamicron 60mg and metformin 1000/ 2times daily. after few days there was improvement, but started having constipation and indigestion. I was asked to buy vitamin B12 supplement (Alphabetic) 2800 naira. since then, it stop and my blood sugar is back to normal range of 4.5 for a month and now.

Fistly let me ask if metformin tablet was prescribed for him, , if he does, that is the cause of the constipation. it has side effect after some time. Plantain flower is the best form of swallow he can take. try to google the side effect of metformin tablet and read further. However, metformin is supposed to be taken with vitamin b12 supplement for diabetic patient (Alphabetic multivitamin ) preferable for diabetic patient. inbox me your number at telecomtaio1@gmail.com lets talk more better.
As At Yesterday Night, His Blood Sugar Level Was Above 22. . . He Takes Metformin 1000mg And Glimepiride 2mg Twice Daily.
But He Is Currently In The Hospital And The Doctors Placed Him On Insulin Which Is Not Helping Matters. Thanks For Your Concern, I've Sent You A Mail.
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Mutemenot(m): 6:01am On Jun 11, 2019
Buy water yam from the local market, peel n slice to small sizes . Sun it to dry well then blend ... Make it similar way you make pando yam... it 'll help him alot
Re: Which Swallow Would You Recommend For A Diabetic by Younghacka(m): 6:06am On Jun 11, 2019
hafsatadebisi:
Is he on insulin injections? If yes, how many times a day does he take the injection? How many IU does he take a day? Does he have hypertension? You know, hypertension and diabetes usually go hand in hand. Please he should not take wheat, a diabetic patient shouldn't take that. He can take fufu, it's very nice. People don't know this but, fufu is far far better than wheat. He shouldn't eat too heavy, fruits and vegetables should be contained in his meals. He should also try to exercise( this is very very important), he should make sure that he at least does something that will make him sweat( this is very important). With these he can even take virtually any normal food that we all eat. Please garri or eba is bad oo, it tends to increase the blood sugar level. Also, having Accu Check(instrument for measuring blood sugar level) is very important, so you can monitor the blood sugar level and also know the things you take that increases it so as to minimize such.
He Usually Takes Metformin And Glimepiride, But He's Currently In The Hospital And He Is Placed On Insulin 10 IU Three Times Daily Which Is Not Helping. As At Last Night, The Sugar Level Was 22+.
He Is Hypertensive. He Has Accucheck For Glucose Monitor And Andon For Heart Rate Monitor. He Takes Fruits And Vegetables. But He Can't Excercise Much For Now Due To Pains In His Legs. Thanks For Your Concern.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Medical Facts Picture Series / 8 Usual Habits That Are Dangerous For Your Brain / 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.