Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,863 members, 7,821,012 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Are Inverters Worth It? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Are Inverters Worth It? (18578 Views)

Nigerian Guys Are Not Really Worth It. And They Are Stupid,foolish Period / I Am Crushing On A Guy Here But I Still Don't Know If It Is Worth It / Is It Worth It To Look For A Soul Mate On Nairaland (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by cute75(m): 10:04pm On Jun 27, 2019
mctfopt:

Electric power P = IV where I = current and V= Voltage.

If you reduce the voltage, there is a corresponding rise in current to maintain same power.

Conversely, if you increase the voltage there is a corresponding drop in current; a principle that allows the use of small diameter wires to transmit voltages over vast distances with less drop in power.

How did this inverter circumvent this basic electric principle?

So I met him today to ask him about this question.... He said I should ask you if u have practically tried it...That you are talking theorically....though they are threshold where ur theories are true....But science has elvovle and it can be maneuvered.
Big English though..
In my own opinion I believe anything is possible... Why? I once forgot to put off my frigde(medium deep freezer) which was connected to my 5000va stabilizer.....and my inverter which is 12v/1.2kva picked both of them...and was working fine for about 30seconds....I had to quickly turn them off.
So I believe anything is possible... And theories can also be changed or maneuvered.(my opinion though)

1 Like

Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by cute75(m): 10:12pm On Jun 27, 2019
enolife2:

does this price include solar panel and solar charger?
No sir! Just inverter
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by cute75(m): 10:13pm On Jun 27, 2019
Pharmtj:
does it require ups ?
No it doesn't
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by cute75(m): 10:24pm On Jun 27, 2019
ayokellany:
can the installer work in lagos ? I think this is the most economical n efficient.
Economical indeed...I'm frugal when it comes to inverter and this inverter brings out the frugality in me.
Well I think its possible to have him in Lagos... He buys most of the raw materials he uses to build the inverter in Lagos...You would have to discuss that with him if need be.
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by mctfopt: 10:26pm On Jun 27, 2019
cute75:

So I met him today to ask him about this question.... He said I should ask you if u have practically tried it...That you are talking theorically....though they are threshold where ur theories are true....But science has elvovle and it can be maneuvered.
Big English though..
In my own opinion I believe anything is possible... Why? I once forgot to put off my frigde(medium deep freezer) which was connected to my 5000va stabilizer.....and my inverter which is 12v/1.2kva picked both of them...and was working fine for about 30seconds....I had to quickly turn them off.
So I believe anything is possible... And theories can also be changed or maneuvered.(my opinion though)

In this case, theory is same with practical. About your 1.2kva inverter handling a 5kva stabiliser is simple to explain. The 5kva inverter load may just be 10% of the rated 5kva since it's a medium deep freezer which should be about 400w. The stabilizer is not handling the full capacity of 5kva. Also a 1kva inverter can sometimes handle two times its rated capacity for short duration, say for not more than 60 seconds. It is called the surge or instantaneous power rating of the inverter. So, my friend, what you observed is electrically impossible. And I've got some experience on how some of these things work. Thank you.
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by Pharmtj: 6:03am On Jun 28, 2019
cute75:

Sorry my message is coming late....Had been busy with work. Well I bought the inverter for 45k...And the maker is base in Port Harcourt.
am based in delta and after buying it can it be waybill down to delta ?

can I install it myself ?

TV inputs is 100-240VAC can it power it ,gotv, a rechargeable fan and two energy saving bulbs?

Thanks as I await your response.

bye for now.

I intend to charge it with NEPA (6hrs daily)
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by cute75(m): 10:18am On Jun 28, 2019
mctfopt:

In this case, theory is same with practical. About your 1.2kva inverter handling a 5kva stabiliser is simple to explain. The 5kva inverter load may just be 10% of the rated 5kva since it's a medium deep freezer which should be about 400w. The stabilizer is not handling the full capacity of 5kva. Also a 1kva inverter can sometimes handle two times its rated capacity for short duration, say for not more than 60 seconds. It is called the surge or instantaneous power rating of the inverter. So, my friend, what you observed is electrically impossible. And I've got some experience on how some of these things work. Thank you.

Bro I asked you if u have practicalized it....u're are still telling me you I've got experience.... I don't have experience in electricity but I know GOOGLE....which I found out that current can drop with an increase in resistance...I=V/R.....I will have to let go of this argument cause I myself have mathematically solve and practicalized some impossible theories in my field of expertise...Biko go google go do research....Thanks!

Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by Pharmtj: 11:06am On Jun 28, 2019
cute75:

Bro I asked you if u have practicalized it....u're are still telling me you I've got experience.... I don't have experience in electricity but I know GOOGLE....which I found out that current can drop with an increase in resistance...I=V/R.....I will have to let go of this argument cause I myself have mathematically solve and practicalized some impossible theories in my field of expertise...Biko go google go do research....Thanks!
pls respond to my questions, thanks
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by cute75(m): 12:41pm On Jun 28, 2019
Pharmtj:
pls respond to my questions, thanks
Yes ..I am sure he can..U can contact him...He is from Delta state, but base in Port Harcourt...Blessing-09065876888....please NOTE that this is just an inverter... U will need to buy a battery to connect it...Quantan, Luminous , Ritar ,prag are good batteries.
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by Pharmtj: 2:46pm On Jun 28, 2019
cute75:

Yes ..I am sure he can..U can contact him...He is from Delta state, but base in Port Harcourt...Blessing-09065876888....please NOTE that this is just an inverter... U will need to buy a battery to connect it...Quantan, Luminous , Ritar ,prag are good batteries.
thanks
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by ayokellany: 4:30am On Jul 01, 2019
cute75:

Economical indeed...I'm frugal when it comes to inverter and this inverter brings out the frugality in me.
Well I think its possible to have him in Lagos... He buys most of the raw materials he uses to build the inverter in Lagos...You would have to discuss that with him if need be.
pls I do not mind can you share his contract
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by cute75(m): 4:08pm On Jul 02, 2019
ayokellany:
pls I do not mind can you share his contract

Blessing-09065876888
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by micki1: 2:14pm On Jul 04, 2019
Please where did you get the battery?
tosinet:
I don’t even have up to your budget to invest on solar yet and I’m already using one as I just hate generators.

My setup:

500w solar inverter-6000 (led tv 32”, laptop, havit speaker with whoofer, energy saving bulbs etc.)

Battery charger- 6000 (10A battery charger)

100ah battery- 25000 (Uk used but battery health is still 100%) there’s more info on batteries if needed like lithium batteries which are lighter and stronger. Also 200ah battery for the type I bought is 45k.

Cable for connection and other little connectors- 5000

Total- N47000

Based on loads I use at a time, it last a minimum of 5 hours, and if I’m on laptop only which is 85w, I’ve used it for more than 8hours and it did not run down.
In my area we have at least 4hours light in a day and if the phcn supply is not faulty, my 100ah gets charged within same period.
For me to have guaranteed light on my solar setup throughout the day, I need a 250-300w solar panel which is like 45-50k at Alaba market and 30A Charge Controller which is like 6-10k depending on source.

Don’t mind me I’m a DIY kind of person and it fascinates to

There are many DC appliances like (dc iron 6000, dc blender 13000, dc fan 10000, dc freezer, dc cooker, dc water pump, dc air conditioning etc) that you can buy now and it can be connected directly to your battery for usage.

I’m available if you have questions.
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by Meklex(m): 9:34pm On Jul 04, 2019
tosinet:
I don’t even have up to your budget to invest on solar yet and I’m already using one as I just hate generators.

My setup:

500w solar inverter-6000 (led tv 32”, laptop, havit speaker with whoofer, energy saving bulbs etc.)

Battery charger- 6000 (10A battery charger)

100ah battery- 25000 (Uk used but battery health is still 100%) there’s more info on batteries if needed like lithium batteries which are lighter and stronger. Also 200ah battery for the type I bought is 45k.

Cable for connection and other little connectors- 5000

Total- N47000

Based on loads I use at a time, it last a minimum of 5 hours, and if I’m on laptop only which is 85w, I’ve used it for more than 8hours and it did not run down.
In my area we have at least 4hours light in a day and if the phcn supply is not faulty, my 100ah gets charged within same period.
For me to have guaranteed light on my solar setup throughout the day, I need a 250-300w solar panel which is like 45-50k at Alaba market and 30A Charge Controller which is like 6-10k depending on source.

Don’t mind me I’m a DIY kind of person and it fascinates to

There are many DC appliances like (dc iron 6000, dc blender 13000, dc fan 10000, dc freezer, dc cooker, dc water pump, dc air conditioning etc) that you can buy now and it can be connected directly to your battery for usage.

I’m available if you have questions.
please I want an inverter too. How can I go about it?
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by olaolu11(m): 2:16am On Jul 05, 2019
I used luminous 900 vac, leoch 100ah for over 4 years charging with ibedc and generator. I just bought solar panels(4×150watts @90K) and a 200ah mercury battery(90K). I got Y-branch connectors(6K) from ali express and 40amp pwm charge controller(7K) from ali express too. I used pumping machine cable for the wiring. It is a DIY connection. I got all information online especially on quora(download the app on playstore, register and post your questions. Answers will come from experts from all over the world).

PS: To experts and installers in the house, why is my solar charge controller reading fluctuating between 0.2 and 4.5? I have installed only 3 of the panels in parallel; i expect at least 8amps from each to total 24 but i am getting only 4.5 max. I have asked questions ad realised i did all as i ought. I am being told i should change cable(wire) to 6awg because of distance(5m from panel to wall, 8m up and another 10m to charge controller; total being about 25m). The recommeded 6awg cable is sold 75K at alaba, lagos. I cant afford that now. But i see people use the type of wire i used(1.5mm ie 12awg) successfully.
Anyone with suggestion? Thanks

1 Like

Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by olaolu11(m): 2:42am On Jul 05, 2019
With your budget, i will suggest luminous inverter 900vac or 1.5vac(kva) and mercury battery(90K on june 30) contact mercury direct to order online. It is sold 83K and shipment is 3K. I only discovered the site after i bought my battery. I must say you will need at least a 150watt solar panel with it to eliminate nepa/genarator. These things are not as expensive as people make them if you get it direct without all these middlemen installers. Just buy and pay installation cost. Mine was DIY after extensive reading online.

PS: i do not know if this post violates rule 6 of nairaland. I am not a courier for any business/ organisation, i am only helping out someone solve a problem. Thanks
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by olaolu11(m): 2:52am On Jul 05, 2019
Pharmtj:

TV inputs is 100-240VAC can it power it ,gotv, a rechargeable fan and two energy saving bulbs?

bye for now.

Pharmtj:

bye for now.

It will do the work perfectly well. And you can do the installation if you know a little bit about electricity and/or are willing to learn.
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by olaolu11(m): 3:01am On Jul 05, 2019
BoboKush:

Ooooops nt sure I knw the name of the battery offhand
Ge mercury elite battery for 83K

1 Like

Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by olaolu11(m): 3:49am On Jul 05, 2019
cute75:

Blessing-09065876888

This the whatsapp no?
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by tosinet(m): 5:59am On Jul 05, 2019
micki1:
Please where did you get the battery?
I did a search on Jiji and connected with the seller. It was a used/refurbished battery and the battery health is at 100% capacity.
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by tosinet(m): 6:12am On Jul 05, 2019
Meklex:
please I want an inverter too. How can I go about it?

It depends on your need in term of loads you want to carry, your budget etc.

There are solar shops around that can help with your design and installation but if you want DIY, it involves a bit of tweaking and technical knowledge.

Basic components for a solar setup are;
-Inverter
-Solar Panel
-Solar Charge Controller
-Battery

It now depends on the scale of your setup to meet your consumption needs.
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by Meklex(m): 6:37am On Jul 05, 2019
tosinet:

It depends on your need in term of loads you want to carry, your budget etc.

There are solar shops around that can help with your design and installation but if you want DIY, it involves a bit of tweaking and technical knowledge.

Basic components for a solar setup are;
-Inverter
-Solar Panel
-Solar Charge Controller
-Battery

It now depends on the scale of your setup to meet your consumption needs.
I asked o. And they quoted 350k for a 1kva inverter and 200ah battery with three 150w solar panels and other things. I just want to power my regular standing fan, phone, laptop and bulb.
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by tosinet(m): 8:09am On Jul 05, 2019
[code][/code]
Meklex:
I asked o. And they quoted 350k for a 1kva inverter and 200ah battery with three 150w solar panels and other things. I just want to power my regular standing fan, phone, laptop and bulb.

You can go for a DIY by acquiring the components yourself and get an installer to install for you.

If your load is not more than;
-Normal standing fan not industrial fan
-Laptop
-energy saving bulbs i.e white bulbs

A 500w Solar inverter will carry the load but you can go for a 1000w Solar inverter incase u want to add led tv, decoder or other devices.

500w Solar inverter 6-7k
1000w inverter 12-15k

Solar Charge Controller 30-50A- (3k-7k)

You can get the two items cheaper on aliexpress website.

Then you need solar panel for charging your battery unless you have another source to charge your battery.

For 100ah battery you need 250-300w solar panel while you need 400-450w for 200ah battery. It will determine how fast your battery will charge. Also, having solar panel ensures you have power throughout the day while your battery will power your need in the night.

Depending on your location, for instance if you’re close to alaba in Lagos, components are cheaper.

100ah battery
Used- 20k+/-
New- 35k+/-

200ah battery
Used- 40k +/-
New- 75k +/-

300w solar panel- 40k-70k
250w 35k-60k
200w 28k-50k
150w 20k-30k

So components depend on your location and quantity you are buying.

2 Likes

Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by cashflowpc(m): 8:40am On Jul 05, 2019
tosinet:
[code][/code]

You can go for a DIY by acquiring the components yourself and get an installer to install for you.

-Laptop

A 500w Solar inverter will carry the load but you can go for a 1000w Solar inverter incase u want to add led tv, decoder or other devices.

500w Solar inverter 6-7k
1000w inverter 12-15k

Then you need solar panel for charging your battery unless you have another source to charge your battery.

For 100ah battery you need 250-300w solar panel while you need 400-450w for 200ah battery. It will determine how fast your battery will charge. Also, having solar panel ensures you have power throughout the day while your battery will power your need in the night.

Depending on your location, for instance if you’re close to alaba in Lagos, components are cheaper.

100ah battery
Used- 20k+/-
New- 35k+/-

200ah battery
Used- 40k +/-
New- 75k +/-

250w 35k-60k
200w 28k-50k
150w 20k-30k

How can one get original panels ? That's my fear majorly for DIY.
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by micki1: 12:01pm On Jul 05, 2019
Can you give me the guy's contact?
tosinet:

I did a search on Jiji and connected with the seller. It was a used/refurbished battery and the battery health is at 100% capacity.
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by tosinet(m): 12:30pm On Jul 05, 2019
micki1:
Can you give me the guy's contact?

1 Like

Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by cute75(m): 4:31pm On Jul 07, 2019
olaolu11:

This the whatsapp no?
0703 634 4934 for WhatsApp and calls
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by cute75(m): 11:12pm On Jul 07, 2019
tosinet:
[code][/code]

-Laptop

500w Solar inverter 6-7k
1000w inverter 12-15k

100ah battery
Used- 20k+/-
New- 35k+/-

200ah battery
Used- 40k +/-
New- 75k +/-

250w 35k-60k
200w 28k-50k
150w 20k-30k

This inverter you are quoting 7k, is it modified sinewave inverter? If it is....then its not safe for some electronics, I have seen nairalanders complaining about their electronics getting bad because of modified sinewave inverters. I will advice you do a proper research before recommending modified sinewave inverter.
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by Deicide: 11:36pm On Jul 07, 2019
My own question is that do this things have expiring date? And how long do they last?
Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by tosinet(m): 8:57am On Jul 08, 2019
cute75:

This inverter you are quoting 7k, is it modified sinewave inverter? If it is....then its not safe for some electronics, I have seen nairalanders complaining about their electronics getting bad because of modified sinewave inverters. I will advice you do a proper research before recommending modified sinewave inverter.

Please don’t misquote me...I never said the 7k inverter or modified sine wave inverter is good for all electronics or appliances.

Modified sine wave inverters which are much more cheaper than pure sine wave inverters are perfectly safe for devices that uses “dc current” like laptop, decoders, rechargeable devices etc. It is also safe for led tvs as they have inbuilt diodes and capacitors that convert AC current to DC current.

So if you are powering devices like led tv, decoder, game console, energy saving bulbs, rechargeable fan, laptop etc. Its perfectly safe to use modified sine wave inverters.

Note I also said dc appliances like iron, blender, cooker, freezer, air conditioners, water pump etc. are now available in the market and it’s interesting to know that these devices are connected directly to the battery and not through an inverter.

For those with available resources that want to power “AC appliances” they already own with an inverter, you have to use a type of inverter called pure sine wave inverter. They can safely power AC and DC appliances.

There are inexhaustible information about renewable energy usage online and new infos come up everyday to change the way we view and use energy.

1 Like

Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by tosinet(m): 9:10am On Jul 08, 2019
Deicide:
My own question is that do this things have expiring date? And how long do they last?

Most solar panels have a warranty of not less than 20 years so if there cells are not physically damaged then you are good to go.

Good batteries will last you a minimum of three years after which they have to be replaced. Ensure you use charge controllers to avoid over discharging your batteries.

Inverters have to be used with a bit of calculations so as not to damage them. First you have to know the total wattage of the devices and appliances you want them to power, then you should note the inverter’s peak power to help you know if they can power your appliances with surge power.
Appliances like fridge, freezer, air conditioner, water pump etc. will draw a lot of power when starting up before settling down to their specified watt usage.

1 Like

Re: Are Inverters Worth It? by cute75(m): 3:47pm On Jul 09, 2019
tosinet:

Please don’t misquote me...I never said the 7k inverter or modified sine wave inverter is good for all electronics or appliances.

Modified sine wave inverters which are much more cheaper than pure sine wave inverters are perfectly safe for devices that uses “dc current” like laptop, decoders, rechargeable devices etc. It is also safe for led tvs as they have inbuilt diodes and capacitors that convert AC current to DC current.

So if you are powering devices like led tv, decoder, game console, energy saving bulbs, rechargeable fan, laptop etc. Its perfectly safe to use modified sine wave inverters.

Note I also said dc appliances like iron, blender, cooker, freezer, air conditioners, water pump etc. are now available in the market and it’s interesting to know that these devices are connected directly to the battery and not through an inverter.

For those with available resources that want to power “AC appliances” they already own with an inverter, you have to use a type of inverter called pure sine wave inverter. They can safely power AC and DC appliances.

There are inexhaustible information about renewable energy usage online and new infos come up everyday to change the way we view and use energy.
I am very sorry to have Mosquito you...But experience they say is the best teacher....I have been to other nairaland post and I have seen first hand, people complaining bitterly about Modified inverters ......I know it is okay for DC appliance like DC fans , laptop and chargers. But it dangerous for AC appliances like AC fans and TVs....A lot of us has little experience about these fact...That's why I threw more light on MODIFIED INVERTERS....once more I'm very very sorry for mosquitoing you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Women Want Partners Who Are 8in Taller Than Them / Marriage Isn't Hard Africans Made It So(opinion) / Lady Share Her Before Photo As A Muslim And Now Photo As A Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.