Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,771 members, 7,817,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance (8117 Views)

My Trip To Singapore - Detailed Info About Singapore / Plane Forced To Make Emergency Landing After Passenger Refused To Stop Farting ( / Passenger Bus Falls Into Sinkhole As Calabar/Ikom Highway Divides Into Two. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by AUTOJOSH1: 10:12pm On Jun 10, 2019

In one way or the other, you must have come across a manifest used for the various modes of transportation. Every passenger is expected to provide some basic information for proper documentation using the manifest.

A passenger manifest is a document listing passengers and crew of a ship, aircraft, or vehicle. It contains some basic information about the passengers.

Putting down the details of passengers on a manifest is an acceptable practice all over the world. When crashes occur, victims are easily identified. It also makes sorting easy for the issue of compensation arises.

As we all know, it is a common practice for some passengers not to put down their real names and other required information. Perhaps they are not comfortable doing that.

There is a possibility that many of the people already declared missing are lying unconscious in some hospitals or the bodies are frozen in some hospital morgue or buried in mass graves as unidentified victims of road traffic crashes. This might be the outcome when passengers don’t provide useful information in the manifest.

When accidents occur, owners of transport, in conjunction with the government agencies, are able to contact the relations of victims, for them to know the victims whereabouts and render the necessary help or take on certain responsibilities. This is possible with the aid of a manifest.

Inaccurate or no passenger data on the manifest may result to the following:

Difficulty of identification of accident victims
Congestion of hospitals and mortuaries by unidentified victims, at great expenses to the governments at all levels.
Lack of proper medical attention for accident victims.
Security problems of sorting out issues of missing persons.
Pains and agonies of families of missing persons.

In a bid to avoid or minimize the above problems, he Federal Road Safety Commission working with other Stakeholders in the transport industry introduced the PASSENGER MANIFEST into the road transport system. The National Road Traffic Regulations, 2004 mandates commercial vehicle operators on inter-city or town movements to operate Passengers manifest.

Below is the usefulness of an accurate passenger manifest:

Early /Easy identification of accident victims and quick contact with their next of kin to ensure adequate medical care and treatment.
Improves general road traffic crash data, which is capable of determining new measures to sanitize the sector by the FRSC.
Monitoring of vehicle owners for quick clearance and contact in times of accidents.
Enhances quick clearance/ recovery of dead victims by their relatives.

Passengers are advised to desist from providing fictitious names. Correct information on the passenger manifest is for the benefits of all, especially the passengers. Here is an example. In a situation when a passenger is unconscious after involvement in crash. He won’t be able to disclose his names or the contact persons.

Please, the next time you would be traveling with a public transport, ensure you correctly put down your full names, contact addresses, telephone numbers and next of Kin or persons to be contacted in case of an accident. Doing this does not mean you’re inviting crashes or disaster.

Source: https://autojosh.com/passenger-manifest-road-transport/

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by chukwuibuipob: 10:40pm On Jun 10, 2019
sad
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by chukwuibuipob: 10:41pm On Jun 10, 2019
embarassed
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by SmallmebigGod: 12:22am On Jun 11, 2019
Nice write up.

I once stole a ladies number from the passengers manifest. What happened after is a story for another day wink smiley

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by Gsteve01(m): 6:56am On Jun 11, 2019
I don't even sign it because the driver will just squeeze it somewhere.
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by mctfopt: 6:59am On Jun 11, 2019
SmallmebigGod:
Nice write up.

I once stole a ladies number from the passengers manifest. What happened after is a story for another day wink smiley

angry

1 Like

Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by sotall(m): 7:01am On Jun 11, 2019
Waiting for Danfo to provide passenger's manifest

1 Like

Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by balonaija(f): 7:05am On Jun 11, 2019
na wahala...
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by speaktome(m): 7:22am On Jun 11, 2019
SmallmebigGod:
Nice write up.

Chai!
I thought na only me did that thing ooo grin grin grin
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by Offpoint1: 7:35am On Jun 11, 2019
Without the write up i know
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by sapientia(m): 7:36am On Jun 11, 2019
I have been doing that correctly since 1998

1 Like

Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by Harrynight(m): 7:37am On Jun 11, 2019
SmallmebigGod:
Nice write up.

I'll like to hear the remaining part of the story sir

1 Like

Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by Femziecarlos(m): 7:55am On Jun 11, 2019
Michael4567:
See below
For your mind this one na fixed match
Wetin we no go see again for Naija¿
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by BuildingEngr: 7:58am On Jun 11, 2019
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by arantess: 7:59am On Jun 11, 2019
Is this not a no-brainer?

1 Like

Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by NwaJozi: 8:15am On Jun 11, 2019
We been knew
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 11, 2019
SmallmebigGod:
Nice write up.

lol unleash the story here!�
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by balonaija(f): 9:36am On Jun 11, 2019
I don't believe this.
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by Mcreloaded(m): 9:52am On Jun 11, 2019
Some passengers don't like to put their real name and phone numbers because they are opportunistic thieves who after stealing from a passenger pocket or bag will alight at the nearest bustop with a stolen item and also knowing that have written fake name and phone number.

Also the space for writing phone number should be wider to accommodate phone number and also with space of address and name of next of kin.

This government should be serious with this document as most times the space is not large enough to complete names, address,name of next of kin and phone number of next of kin and passenger.

1 Like

Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by XwhY(m): 11:02am On Jun 11, 2019
SmallmebigGod:
Nice write up.

Meaning you stole the next of kin's number. Cos the passengers number will not be on the manifest

1 Like

Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by Replay07(m): 11:15am On Jun 11, 2019
XwhY:

Meaning you stole the next of kin's number. Cos the passengers number will not be on the manifest
True
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 11:24am On Jun 11, 2019
XwhY:

The guy was obviously lying cheesy grin Make we hail am sharp guy ni
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by SmallmebigGod: 3:59pm On Jun 11, 2019
XwhY:

Nope, it used to include both phone number of the passenger and that of their next of kin
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by XwhY(m): 4:14pm On Jun 11, 2019
SmallmebigGod:

Nope, it used to include both phone number of the passenger and that of their next of kin

Ok then
Re: Detailed Explanation Of ‘passenger Manifest’ & Its Importance by decrownprince(m): 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2019
XwhY:

Some manifest has provision for your own number. I remember when I was traveling from Gombe to Sokoto, we stop at Kano for break, after about 30minutes two passengers could not be found. The driver then produced a copy of the manifest and stated calling attendant. Wen the discovered who were missing, we called their number provided on the manifest for them to come back.

(1) (2) (Reply)

British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London / NANS Denies Reports of Planned Protest on Third Mainland Bridge / Dead Body Found In Arik Air

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.