Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable (59129 Views)

Dissecting MKO Abiola, The Hero Of The Moment / Only Yoruba Care About Abiola, The Rest Of Us Long Moved On. / Abiola - The Mandate: Historical Timeline Around June 12. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by ExAngel007(f): 3:39pm On Jun 15, 2019
On Wednesday, President Muhammadu Buhari named the Abuja national stadium after MKO Abiola, presumed winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election.

Although this has been widely commended, the state of the stadium has left sour taste in the mouth.

The 60,000 capacity stadium is now turning to a shadow of itself, with dilapidated facilities, grass and refuse littering virtually every spot.
The stadium located not far from the FCT gate was commissioned in 2003, and estimated to have gulped a total of $360 million.

Below are pictures of parts of the stadium taken when TheCable visited the facility on Saturday morning

Dried tree branches lying just by the
stadium

Overgrown trees and grass along one of
the paths within the stadium

The football field now a shadow of itself
Flowers along dirty path unattended to
Stadium or grazing field?

No cleaner in sight when TheCable
visited the facility

Bushes encroaching into the stadium area

Just by the entrance gate

Imagine playing football on a field like
this

Untidy premises

Another part of the stadium taken over
by grasses

The stadium fence

The generator area

Even the small entrance gates are not left

more pictures here:

https://www.thecable.ng/photos-inside-the-abandoned-stadium-named-after-abiola

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by ifex370(m): 3:41pm On Jun 15, 2019
You can imagine

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Bizmagnet: 3:42pm On Jun 15, 2019
And this was named after a man that fought for true democracy? They just did a bad naming ceremoney. Abiola deserved more than that. They should just start renovation with immediate effect.

Don't be on the waiting list, get involved in the matter of business expansion.
Get a website/blog/software for your business at affordable price today.

86 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Damibiz(m): 3:42pm On Jun 15, 2019
cryDid is Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by alsudan: 3:43pm On Jun 15, 2019
They will come and tell you these are 1900 pictures, that the stadium is as clean as Barcelona’s nou camp now.

They say they are the most educated, most sophisticated, yet one Lifeless illiterate dullard from Daura is shitting on their skulls and having them enjoy it.

245 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Scatterscatter(m): 3:44pm On Jun 15, 2019
On behalf of the Yoruba community worldwide, we hereby reject the gesture made by PMB to rename this property after MKO.

Please renovate this place before extending such gesture next time.

Signed
Omoluabi Parapo

121 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Omihanifa: 3:45pm On Jun 15, 2019
Sport ministry and NFF knows what they are doing cheesy
They want the stadium to decay to the stage that when they are awarding contract for the renovations, everybody go smile and dey alright grin

176 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Blue3k(m): 3:46pm On Jun 15, 2019
At least they'll concession it. The federal government is to irresponsible to manage these assets. The stadium lagos is lobbying for is just as bad.

8 Likes

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by boman2014: 3:46pm On Jun 15, 2019
Why do we lack maintenance culture in this country?

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by muykem: 3:52pm On Jun 15, 2019
Nigeria and maintenance culture are parallel line. Only God knows how many staff employed for purpose of maintaining that stadium.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by yaki84: 3:52pm On Jun 15, 2019
Blue3k:
At least they'll concession it. The federal government to irresponsible to manage these assets. The stadium in lagos they state is lobbying for is just as bad.
Ur english is always difficult to read....

160 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Chubhie: 3:57pm On Jun 15, 2019
Happening in a state that Buhari is governor This is not phyting corruption.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by HORLADSTAR(m): 3:59pm On Jun 15, 2019
yaki84:

Sir, you wicked no be small.

111 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by professorval1(m): 4:01pm On Jun 15, 2019
Please OP these pictures do not completely reflect the true state of the stadium..

These are only the bad sides

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by ExAngel007(f): 4:03pm On Jun 15, 2019
professorval1:
Please OP these pictures do not completely reflect the true state of the stadium..

These are only the bad sides

what else do you want to see?

91 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Blue3k(m): 4:12pm On Jun 15, 2019
yaki84:

Its ok it wont kill you. Your arguments are difficult to comprehend but I forgive you. Do me same courtesy. I edited now hope ur ok now.

18 Likes

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by legitnow: 4:24pm On Jun 15, 2019
This is wat Abiola deserve.

17 Likes

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by horlahwaley(m): 4:27pm On Jun 15, 2019
sad angry
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by juvewalex(m): 4:30pm On Jun 15, 2019
Why is NFF and sports ministry always taking super Eagle's match away from the national stadium in Abuja even NPF or whatever top six should be held at the national stadium hence, it won't deteriorate like this. They have left Uyo stadium now and moved to Asaba stadium with horse race pitch. $360m is wasting away just like that ,how I wish I could denounce myself being a Nigerian. The stadium ought to be hosting IAAF tournament evey year.

19 Likes

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by lilfreezy: 4:31pm On Jun 15, 2019
Blue3k:

Its ok it wont kill you. Your arguments are difficult to comprehend but I forgive you. Do me same courtesy. I edited now hope ur ok now.

Are you sure you edited it well ? Read it again grin grin

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by lilfreezy: 4:33pm On Jun 15, 2019
juvewalex:
Why is NFF and sports ministry always taking super Eagle's match away from the national stadium in Abuja even NPF or whatever top six should be held at the national stadium hence, it won't deteriorate like this. They have left Uyo stadium now and moved to Asaba stadium with horse race pitch. $360m is wasting away just like that ,how I wish I could denounce myself being a Nigerian. The stadium ought to be hosting IAAF tournament evey year.

Well, everything is upside down in this country. As regards to comparison between Uyo and Abuja stadium, Nigeria football league matches are not been played in Abuja as no club is using it unlike that of Uyo which akwa united plays in. In addition, when the Uyo stadium was built, akpabio signed a deal with Julius berger for continuous maintainance which i believe udom renewed.

Like i said earlier, everything in Nigeria is been run upside down as states and federal government are not supposed to be running the facility. Private investors should be brought in, naming rights should be sold(dangote arena, oando stadium etc) , clubs should be privatised and not run by state government. Taking a look at epl, and laliga would give an example on how our football should be ran. See ehn, Nigeria mata don tire me cry

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by don88(m): 4:44pm On Jun 15, 2019
ExAngel007:
On Wednesday, President Muhammadu Buhari
named the Abuja national stadium after MKO
Abiola, presumed winner of the June 12, 1993
presidential election.

Although this has been widely commended, the
state of the stadium has left sour taste in the
mouth.

The 60,000 capacity stadium is now turning to
a shadow of itself, with dilapidated facilities,
grass and refuse littering virtually every spot.
The stadium located not far from the FCT gate
was commissioned in 2003, and estimated to
have gulped a total of $360 million.

Below are pictures of parts of the stadium
taken when TheCable visited the facility on
Saturday morning

Dried tree branches lying just by the
stadium

Overgrown trees and grass along one of
the paths within the stadium

The football field now a shadow of itself
Flowers along dirty path unattended to
Stadium or grazing field?

No cleaner in sight when TheCable
visited the facility

Bushes encroaching into the stadium area

Just by the entrance gate

Imagine playing football on a field like
this

Untidy premises

Another part of the stadium taken over
by grasses

The stadium fence

The generator area

Even the small entrance gates are not left

more pictures here:

https://www.thecable.ng/photos-inside-the-abandoned-stadium-named-after-abiola

lalasticlala Mynd44
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by lilfreezy: 4:46pm On Jun 15, 2019
I hate it when someone quotes the entire article just because they wanna comment undecided

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Lovelive: 5:20pm On Jun 15, 2019
yaki84:

You dey make me laffooo...

1 Like

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Aarenasbaba(m): 5:22pm On Jun 15, 2019
Abiola no go happy with this in heaven self

2 Likes

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by MVLOX(m): 5:23pm On Jun 15, 2019
This is where dey stored those stoves that Oga Jona imported from SA

7 Likes

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by myfan: 5:23pm On Jun 15, 2019
Why is it that nothing works in this country?

4 Likes

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 15, 2019
This is what was used to deceive some people from a particular region.

Hahaha

I'm a northerner by the way.

8 Likes

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jun 15, 2019
Is it because MKO died long ago, that the FG named such a site as GORY as this after him...??
When they named a LIVING SITE after him, people trooped out en masse, and campaigned against it.

I still prefer UNILAG to this...
We really need DELIVERANCE in Nigeria.

30 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Kiki Osinbajo Steps Out In Gucci Outfit (photos) / Pictures From Burial Of Hassan Ahmed, Army General Murdered In Abuja / President Emmanuel Macron Speaks Pidgin English Better Than Some Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.