Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,369 members, 7,836,491 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable (59162 Views)

Dissecting MKO Abiola, The Hero Of The Moment / Only Yoruba Care About Abiola, The Rest Of Us Long Moved On. / Abiola - The Mandate: Historical Timeline Around June 12. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by jamace(m): 5:46pm On Jun 15, 2019
Chai, the cabal just making a mockery of democracy cheesy
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Gabriel411: 5:47pm On Jun 15, 2019
lipsrsealed

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by lilfreezy: 5:47pm On Jun 15, 2019
Kennydoc:

Abuja National Stadium is like Wembley. Who manages Wembley?

Yeah you are right. The city manages it yet again, its an organised society. And yet again, Wembley stadium has sponsorship, Wembley signed a six year sponsorship deal with EE LIMITED

2 Likes

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Grupo(m): 5:48pm On Jun 15, 2019
Bizmagnet:
And this was named after a man that fought for true democracy? They just did a bad naming ceremoney. Abiola deserved more than that. They should just start renovation with immediate effect.

Don't be on the waiting list, get involved in the matter of business expansion.
Get a website/blog/software for your business at affordable price today.

How did Abiola fight for democracy?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by antontech(m): 5:48pm On Jun 15, 2019
Jonathan gave u guys UNILAG and u protested. Pls enjoy this wonderful gift for General Buhari.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by peeps4u: 5:49pm On Jun 15, 2019
AerialMapper:
MKO Abiola Botanical National Stadium.

UNILAG was renamed after him but the sophisticated ones said the gesture was to reduce Abiola to a regional figure. They forgot some of the biggest universities are named after even more notable Nigerians than Abiola.

Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Ahmadu Bello Univeristy, Tafawa Balewa University... this was a chance to immortalise him by renaming a university after him...but they accepted an abandoned stadium and are celebrating!!!

Idiots

You're right.
If a better facility had not been named after MKO before now, being excited over Abuja stadium's naming after MKO would have been a bit acceptable.
How could we Yorubas kick against UNILAG being named after MKO and be joyous over the abandoned site as Abuja Stadium?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Extraordinaire(f): 5:50pm On Jun 15, 2019
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by CioAngels(f): 5:53pm On Jun 15, 2019
I said Unilag was more honorable than the stadium bestowed(i hope this spelling is right) on Abiola with. What a shameful sight of a stadium in Nigerian seat of power/country capital, i think pa Buhari's aides are very wicked to have recommended that stadium to him. For sure, the president did not know the condition of that stadium. What a way to give the president a bad name to crucify him. Very bad indeed.

1 Like

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by objobj: 5:54pm On Jun 15, 2019
yaki84:

Ur english is always difficult to read....

Bros u wicked. Upper cut
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 15, 2019
lilfreezy:

Well, everything is upside down in this country. As regards to comparison between Uyo and Abuja stadium, Nigeria football league matches are not been played in Abuja as no club is using it unlike that of Uyo which akwa united plays in. In addition, when the Uyo stadium was built, akpabio signed a deal with Julius berger for continuous maintainance which i believe udom renewed.

Like i said earlier, everything in Nigeria is been run upside down as states and federal government are not supposed to be running the facility. Private investors should be brought in, naming rights should be sold(dangote arena, oando stadium etc) , clubs should be privatised and not run by state government. Taking a look at epl, and laliga would give an example on how our football should be ran. See ehn, Nigeria mata don tire me cry

The problem is, if we privatised stadia in this country, the prices of tickets would go up....and people will complain about anti-people policies.

And the government takes over again.

Sports ministry gets a budget of less than 700million naira. And all of it isn't for stadium, corruption aside.
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Sunsets: 5:57pm On Jun 15, 2019
Will I say that you are shameless or ? Please which part is Camp Nou standard or even Aba Township Stadium standard? Did you see the field, the gate, the generator house? What else? May be the rooms are Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle or the Eiffel Towers or Burj Khalifa's standard.
professorval1:
Please OP these pictures do not completely reflect the true state of the stadium..

These are only the bad sides
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Awesomefred32(m): 5:58pm On Jun 15, 2019
shocked
shorts of words
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by PLATOCENTRIC(m): 5:58pm On Jun 15, 2019
[quote author=EVILFOREST post=79360930][i]Is it because MKO died long ago, that the FG named such a site as GORY as this after him...??
When they named a LIVING SITE after him, people trooped out en masse, and campaigned against it.
DON'T MIND TINUBU AND HIS COHORTS,THEY ARE JUST DECEIVING WE YORUBANS

I still prefer UNILAG to this...
We really need DELIVERANCE in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by ivandragon: 5:59pm On Jun 15, 2019
Naming UniLag after MKO was a very prestigious & noble gesture...

UniLag is located in the commercial nerve centre of the nation & is one of the mostly culturally diverse tertiary institutions in Nigeria owing to its location...

Yet it was rejected by the very people who were requesting for a befitting gesture for the man at the time...

4 Likes

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by lomprico(m): 6:01pm On Jun 15, 2019
professorval1:
Please OP these pictures do not completely reflect the true state of the stadium..

These are only the bad sides

Oya show us the good sides.

2 Likes

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jun 15, 2019
CioAngels:
I said Unilag was more honorable than the stadium bestowed(i hope this spelling is right) on Abiola with. What a shameful sight of a stadium in Nigerian seat of power/country capital, i think pa Buhari's aides are very wicked to have recommended that stadium to him. For sure, the president did not know the condition of that stadium. What a way to give the president a bad name to crucify him. Very bad indeed.
peeps4u:

You're right.
If a better facility had not been named after MKO before now, being excited over Abuja stadium's naming after MKO would have been a bit acceptable.
How could we Yorubas kick against UNILAG being named after MKO and be joyous over the abandoned site as Abuja Stadium?
antontech:
Jonathan gave u guys UNILAG and u protested. Pls enjoy this wonderful gift for General Buhari.

I thought that renaiming UNILAG after MKO was a good idea

The problem was that students and staff of the university protested against the renaming. At the end of the day, GEJ listened, and the university was renamed.

Plus, most universites in Nigeria, UNILAG included are not up to standard either. Like the stadium, many parts of the university are dilapidated as well.

In my opinion, if we want better facilites, we have to pay the price for their upkeep...But whether it is raising fees for universites, or raising ticket prices for stadiums...most Nigerians would say 'we are poor' and then at the end of the day, nothing happens.

Plus, we spend less than 3 billion dollars on education, 2bn dolalrs on sport. Divided among many stadiums, sport facilites, etc, it does not amount to much.

I'm not defending Buhari, or corruption...but, name or no name...the conditon of the stadium or the university won't change. And Nigerians and their government are not ready to make the hard decisions to change it.

1 Like

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jun 15, 2019
I don’t blame them.
They are used to things like that
I thought they are EDUCATED..
How can you prefer a botanically unkempt stadium to a BRAND INSTITUTION like the UNILAG..??

The GLORY that UNILAG beholds is One in a Million.
Rather na BOTANICAL STADIUM.
This is not about TRIBAL WAR.

It demeans him, honestly...!!
ABIOLA is too sound upstairs to worth such an epic of despair.
The FG should as a matter of urgency swing into renovation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Petdagr8t(m): 6:03pm On Jun 15, 2019
This is an insult to Abiola and a humiliation to what he stands for.
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by ultimateprof: 6:03pm On Jun 15, 2019
yaki84:

Ur english is always difficult to read....
Bros take it easy abeg, kikikikikikiki see me see English.

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by RaptorF35: 6:04pm On Jun 15, 2019
fraud country lead by fraud leaders..
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by awoluyi(m): 6:08pm On Jun 15, 2019
I need a portion of the stadium to plant plantain suckers and mango. Who can help me please?

1 Like

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by 9jaRealist: 6:09pm On Jun 15, 2019
DISGRACEFUL! angry
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jun 15, 2019
awoluyi:
I need a portion of the stadium to plant plantain suckers and mango. Who can help me please?
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Make FULANI HERDSMEN no catch you there.
I learnt the BOTANICAL STADIUM dey their CATTLE GRAZING ROUTE sef....

Another wahala

2 Likes

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Jjc2000(m): 6:13pm On Jun 15, 2019
Aso Rock or National Assembly Complex would be befitting to Abiola name.
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Shinjitsu: 6:16pm On Jun 15, 2019
International thief thief =ITT

Lol

1 Like

Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Elijahnonso1(m): 6:16pm On Jun 15, 2019
This is the country we find ourselves in.
God give us freedom not to be slaves of these unbelievers.
A national stadium in the capital city of Nigeria is in this state. A giant of Africa.
We are tired of this force marriage.
May the Lord hear our prayer.
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by bewla(m): 6:16pm On Jun 15, 2019
Bizmagnet:
And this was named after a man that fought for true democracy? They just did a bad naming ceremoney. Abiola deserved more than that. They should just start renovation with immediate effect.

Don't be on the waiting list, get involved in the matter of business expansion.
Get a website/blog/software for your business at affordable price today.
lake maintenance culture in this Zoo
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jun 15, 2019
Jjc2000:
Aso Rock or National Assembly Complex would be befitting to Abiola name.
ASO ROCK should be named after the PRESIDENT that will fix this Wounded Nation.
Renaming of ASO ROCK shouldn’t be a KeKe-Napep affair.

Although “ Sai BaBa” can name it after himself grin
Re: Inside The 'Abandoned' Stadium Named After Abiola - The Cable by niyidenrele: 6:21pm On Jun 15, 2019
If PMB didn't name anything after Abiola (MKO),they will still complain ,don't know,what they (d cable)wanna proof by publishing this ,...do u want him to reverse his pronouciation,by naming the stadium after MKO ?...or proffer the solutions,give us a well respected monument that Nigerian cannot do without ,that can be named after him ,thank u

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Zakari & Alysa Wed: Governor Sule Attends Son's Wedding In The US / Tinubu Is Next - Pastor Who Predicted Death Of Patience's Mother / Amaechi Steps Out With Soldiers To Inspect Port Harcourt Airport After APC Clash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.