Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,379 members, 7,822,785 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos (4848 Views)

An Onicha Traditional Wedding (pictures) / Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? / Onitsha Igbo - Bia Eba Obu Na I Na Asu Igbo Ndi Onicha! Soso Ndi Onicha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha2: 11:07am On Oct 04, 2010
I have been reading a lot of articles lately about the problems in aba and the percieved usurpation of the issues by the indegenous ngwa tribe politicians and youths to agitate that other igbo groups should leave aba for them as they say they feel marginalise and cheated there.I have not been to aba to understand this.

The issue of aba is coming to light because of the crises there but it does not mean this issue is limited in aba.I have also heard of some ill feelings about Onicha indegenes towards other igbo groups because of the percieved feeling that other igbos have bought off their lands making it almost impossible to find vacant land in Onitcha.

I do not know about the Enugu scenario as concerning the Nike people against other igbos so i cannot say anything about them.However having been born and brought up in Owerri i am not too sure that is the case.Any person that knows Owerri people know that the place regarded as 'town' is the place where Owerri indegenes reside and we are honest with ourselves that place is actually probably has the best tarred roads,water running well than other parts of Owerri.

Places like Aladinma,Ikenegbu,Prefab,Federal housing, New Owerri etc are mostly occupied by by non indegenous igbo people.Now the comparing the amenites in 'town' and these other places i mentioned in feel the are about on the same level with me feeling that the roads in 'town' is much better than the other places i mentioned.Electricity availabilty is probably the same.

Also the Local Council chairman of Owerri municiplal is usually an Owerri Indegene.

Now comparing what i have enumarated about the Owerri situation compared to aba,onicha etc is there any difference?I ask this because i do not think i have evr heard an Owerri indegene complaining about Non Owerri indegenes in Owerri.In fact what The Owerri indegenes do n ot like is a situation where a plot of land is purchased within there land and later what was told to them that the land was meant for was not finally adhered to.

I have seen people calling the Ngwas who are the indegense of aba names like criminals,lazy, thieves,kidnappers etc but if i may ask where they not the people that gave out the land in the first place?So if that is the case why can't everyone calm down and find out what really went wrong for them to start thinking this way.

People that are calling them these names can they carve out portions of their land in there different local governments for non indegenes to do business?

The ngwa politicians that want to capitalize on the crises now to call on non indegenes to leave aba a la abandon property style in port harcourt are they ready to forefeit their lands they have bought in abuja, lagos and portharcourt?

I believe too that sometimes we igbos can be a bit too frontal in the way we make comments that we do not seem to understand the implications of what we say and do because we feel it is the 'truth'.The English are called the best diplomats for a reason.

Please i want honest and reasonable replys because this issue is taking a dangerous dimesion.Can their be a cosmopilatan igbo city without these issues?
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by Nobody: 11:09am On Oct 04, 2010
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by excanny: 2:23pm On Oct 04, 2010
While you may have made a point concerning the current strained relationship between the indigenous Ngwa and other Igbo occupants of Aba, i must say i disagree with you that the agitations are because of the use of lands and the business activities of non-indigenous Igbos and others  Nigerians in Aba who have contributed to the growth of the city.

A careful look at all of these crises points to the fact that the root cause is politics. Most of the Ngwa local governments have non-Ngwas as the chairmen and councillors, which is not really a problem in itself. But the resultant neglect of Ngwaland by these 'foreign' representatives is what is turning the indigenes against their visitors.

Another factor is agitation for an Ngwa leadership of Abia. Since the creation of the state in 1991, the administration of the state has been with Abia North and Abia Central, while Abia South(Ngwa-Ukwa) had been left out of the picture.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha2: 5:02pm On Oct 04, 2010
excanny:

While you may have made a point concerning the current strained relationship between the indigenous Ngwa and other Igbo occupants of Aba, i must say i disagree with you that the agitations are because of the use of lands and the business activities of non-indigenous Igbos and others Nigerians in Aba who have contributed to the growth of the city.

A careful look at all of these crises points to the fact that the root cause is politics. Most of the Ngwa local governments have non-Ngwas as the chairmen and councillors, which is not really a problem in itself. But the resultant neglect of Ngwaland by these 'foreign' representatives is what is turning the indigenes against their visitors.

Another factor is agitation for an Ngwa leadership of Abia. Since the creation of the state in 1991, the administration of the state has been with Abia North and Abia Central, while Abia South(Ngwa-Ukwa) had been left out of the picture.

Ok i can understand the issue of Aba having non Ngwa as chairmen and counciliors because of the high populattion of non ngwa indigenes but what about Obingwa,Isiala Ngwa?Are there Chairmen and councillors non ngwa too?If yes how come?Or are there high populations of non ngwa people there too?

Does aba generate its own revenue or does it wait for allocation like all other LGAS?
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ezeagu(m): 5:33pm On Oct 04, 2010
I've never heard of ill feelings towards other Igbo people by a whole towns people, that's to the people living there. sad
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha2: 5:35pm On Oct 04, 2010
ezeagu:

I've never heard of ill feelings towards other Igbo people by a whole towns people, that's to the people living there. sad

Guy are you reading press lately?As for Aba and Onicha i do not think those two are news to be honest.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 6:06pm On Oct 04, 2010
I'm guessing this is what I'm needed for. Okay, let's see. Where do I begin. . .

Well, in my honest opinion, in the case of us Ngwa and from my discussions with my elders, family and family friends, this all goes back to pre-colonization. Since before the British came, there has (from my understanding) been an "non-synonymy/distinction" mentality in Ngwa. We have a word for any and all things & people non-Ngwa, "Ohnuhnu", said to have come about as a result of our migration, and since that time, the term has been a firmly-established, regular part of our lexicon. Ngwa also developed a rather strong clan/ethnic consciousness (which still persists today, evident by Ngwa youth agitation). Now, from my understanding, it wasn't long after the British established their colonial government within Ngwa (early 1900s) that there was the agitation for Aba state (in 1915), made by Ngwa and Co. That never happened though. After that, a pattern of political sidelining began, which initially kicked off during the time of the Igbo State Union.

I was told about how Nnamdi Azikiwe had appointed an Efik woman to represent Aba province, which was a "no-no" for Ngwa and Co. There were strong objects and protests from the people of Aba province, not only regarding the Efik woman, but other political sidelining, but nothing was done about it. Instead, all that Ngwa and Co. were more or less told to do was to shut-up and comply. That's when it all firmly cemented; giving rise to such ill feelings, made all the more possible because of distinction sentiments. And the on-going marginalization that Ngwa and Co. complain about helped to perpetuate such ill feelings.

That is my understanding, from my discussions and what I gather. Others can feel free to add or take away from it, if they want. It's simply just my interpretation.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ezeagu(m): 6:10pm On Oct 04, 2010
asha 2:

Guy are you reading press lately?As for Aba and Onicha i do not think those two are news to be honest.

By press, do you mean Nigerian tabloid stories which headline useless market squabbles? If you want to show me Igbo inter-conflict, show me where the Obi of Onitsha banished or maligned other Igbo groups in and from his city, show me where the LGA of Owerre actively pushed to keep out "Non-Owerre" people from Owerre city government, the same for Aba, not some meaningless uneducated traders quarrelling over juju accusations at motor parks.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha2: 6:18pm On Oct 04, 2010
ezeagu:

By press, do you mean Nigerian tabloid stories which headline useless market squabbles? If you want to show me Igbo inter-conflict, show me where the Obi of Onitsha banished or maligned other Igbo groups in and from his city, show me where the LGA of Owerre actively pushed to keep out "Non-Owerre" people from Owerre city government, the same for Aba, not some meaningless uneducated traders quarrelling over juju accusations at motor parks.

grin

If you read my post you will actually see that the Owerre people have no issue about this.

For Onicha na for mouth i dey hear there own although they do not seem serious about it.More like occasional statement.

Aba's case seem to to be taking a dangerous dimesnion .

Look at what a colunmist wrote here

I understand that Ngwa youths are now trying to turn the activities of criminals among them into a political “agitation”. They are asking non-Ngwa people who are mostly fellow Igbos, to “leave” Aba for them.

They are now copying the Ikwerre people who, after the Igbo people built up Port Harcourt before the war, they started agitating that all non-Ikwerre people should leave the city for them.

The onset of the civil war became a great bounty, as the Federal Government rewarded them for their support by allowing them to confiscate “abandoned” property.

I understand that is what some misguided Ngwa politicians are dreaming of, a dream that will surely turn into a nightmare. Remember, in 2003, some Ngwa politicians started calling their clan “Ngwa Ethnic Nationality”, and were even insinuating, just like the Ikwerre, that they were no longer Igbos!

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/aba-a-dying-city/

I am personally the type that likes a problem been settled when it starts showing signs before it becomes a monster.

ChinenyeN:

I'm guessing this is what I'm needed for. Okay, let's see. Where do I begin. . .

Well, in my honest opinion, in the case of us Ngwa and from my discussions with my elders, family and family friends, this all goes back to pre-colonization. Since before the British came, there has (from my understanding) been an "non-synonymy/distinction" mentality in Ngwa. We have a word for any and all things & people non-Ngwa, "Ohnuhnu", said to have come about as a result of our migration, and since that time, the term has been a firmly-established, regular part of our lexicon. Ngwa also developed a rather strong clan/ethnic consciousness (which still persists today, evident by Ngwa youth agitation). Now, from my understanding, it wasn't long after the British established their colonial government within Ngwa (early 1900s) that there was the agitation for Aba state (in 1915), made by Ngwa and Co. That never happened though. After that, a pattern of political sidelining began, which initially kicked off during the time of the Igbo State Union.

I was told about how Nnamdi Azikiwe had appointed an Efik woman to represent Aba province, which was a "no-no" for Ngwa and Co. There were strong objects and protests from the people of Aba province, not only regarding the Efik woman, but other political sidelining, but nothing was done about it. Instead, all that Ngwa and Co. were more or less told to do was to shut-up and comply. That's when it all firmly cemented; giving rise to such ill feelings, made all the more possible because of distinction sentiments. And the on-going marginalization that Ngwa and Co. complain about helped to perpetuate such ill feelings.

That is my understanding, from my discussions and what I gather. Others can feel free to add or take away from it, if they want. It's simply just my interpretation.

You know there was a thread where you asked 'i heard that non indigenes are living aba,is it true'

i wondered why you asked that question.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 6:32pm On Oct 04, 2010
asha 2:

You know there was a thread where you asked 'i heard that non indigenes are living aba,is it true'

grin True, I did ask that.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha2: 6:36pm On Oct 04, 2010
ChinenyeN:

grin True, I did ask that.

i hope you know in that discussion and context it seems you have something in mind?

sometimes it is better not to make statements or questions in some situation because it can be interpreted negatively.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 6:41pm On Oct 04, 2010
asha 2:

i hope you know in that discussion and context it seems you have something in mind?

sometimes it is better not to make statements or questions in some situation because it can be interpreted negatively.
I understand that now. The question was simply my initial reaction to everything, because I remember, for about a year plus before I had asked that question, the exodus of non-indigenes had remained a regular topic amongst many Ngwa that I know. So I felt the need to ask because that's what my mind first went to after going through that topic.

asha 2:

Can their be a cosmopilatan igbo city without these issues?
I don't know about this. I'm of the opinion that there could be, but I cannot definitively state how.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha2: 6:49pm On Oct 04, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I understand that now. The question was simply my initial reaction to everything, because I remember, for about a year plus before I had asked that question, the exodus of non-indigenes had remained a regular topic amongst many Ngwa that I know. So I felt the need to ask because that's what my mind first went to after going through that topic.
I don't know about this. I'm of the opinion that there could be, but I cannot definitively state how.

Now the issue is why was it a discussion?

what were ther thoughts?
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ezeagu(m): 6:51pm On Oct 04, 2010
asha 2:

[/b]

grin

If you read my post you will actually see that the Owerre people have no issue about this.

For Onicha na for mouth i dey hear there own although they do not seem serious about it.More like occasional statement.

Aba's case seem to to be taking a dangerous dimesnion .

Look at what  a colunmist wrote here

I understand that Ngwa youths are now trying to turn the activities of criminals among them into a political “agitation”. They are asking non-Ngwa people who are mostly fellow Igbos, to “leave” Aba for them.

They are now copying the Ikwerre people who, after the Igbo people built up Port Harcourt before the war, they started agitating that all non-Ikwerre people should leave the city for them.

The onset of the civil war became a great bounty, as the Federal Government rewarded them for their support by allowing them to confiscate “abandoned” property.

I understand that is what some misguided Ngwa politicians are dreaming of, a dream that will surely turn into a nightmare. Remember, in 2003, some Ngwa politicians started calling their clan “Ngwa Ethnic Nationality”, and were even insinuating, just like the Ikwerre, that they were no longer Igbos!

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/aba-a-dying-city/

I am  personally the type that likes a problem been settled when it starts showing signs before it becomes a monster.

Oh, you're talking about some of the Onicha people that will stand up one day and say they're not Igbo, then the next day they pretend like nothing happened? The only way these Igbo groups should be judged is through their leaders (and the support they have from their people).

Can we really take anything serious from aggressive 'young people' in Aba with the anarchy the city has become? Whoever these touts are talking about people should leave "their land" should be discredited by every sensible non-mad Igbo person there with a reasonable knowledge of history, even Port Harcourt. Did Aba and Port Harcourt industrialise independently or was it not with the influx of other Igbo groups into the cities and most importantly Enugu's coal industry leading to the mapping of the railway through their lands? These people should sit down.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 7:01pm On Oct 04, 2010
Well, their thoughts? Some just want non-indigenes to give way (not necessarily leave though) and stop politically marginalizing Ngwa & Co. Others are fed up with Ohnuhnu presence and want an exodus. Most, to nearly all disagree with the current Abia arrangement, and everyone just wants their land to be their land again, because to them, they don't feel like the area is respected as "their land".
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha2: 7:19pm On Oct 04, 2010
ezeagu:

Oh, you're talking about some of the Onicha people that will stand up one day and say they're not Igbo, then the next day they pretend like nothing happened? The only way these Igbo groups should be judged is through their leaders (and the support they have from their people).

Can we really take anything serious from aggressive 'young people' in Aba with the anarchy the city has become? Whoever these touts are talking about people should leave "their land" should be discredited by every sensible non-mad Igbo person there with a reasonable knowledge of history, even Port Harcourt. Did Aba and Port Harcourt industrialise independently or was it not with the influx of other Igbo groups into the cities and most importantly Enugu's coal industry leading to the mapping of the railway through their lands? These people should sit down.

i understand what you are saying but this issue should not be waved away just like that as doing so it might be a monster over our heads.

ChinenyeN:

Well, their thoughts? Some just want non-indigenes to give way (not necessarily leave though) and stop politically marginalizing Ngwa & Co. Others are fed up with Ohnuhnu presence and want an exodus. Most, to nearly all disagree with the current Abia arrangement, and everyone just wants their land to be their land again, because to them, they don't feel like the area is respected as "their land".

My question is this?the Lga chairmen of Obingwa,Isiala ngwa,ukwa ngwa are they not ngwa men?

Like i have said before probably the only man who gave aba a facelift is non ngwa and is not even from abia.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ezeagu(m): 7:44pm On Oct 04, 2010
ChinenyeN:

What should the Nike and Ngwo people do then? Or even the Ikwerre? Not even forgetting the small ethnic groups in Lagos. You can't attach tribal affiliations to a cosmopolitan city. In developed countries, indigenous peoples are only concerned with making sure the city knows its boundaries and that their rural life is not tampered with. How are the Ngwa people being disrespected with their land?
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by excanny: 10:59pm On Oct 04, 2010
asha 2:

Ok i can understand the issue of Aba having non Ngwa as chairmen and counciliors because of the high populattion of non ngwa indigenes but what about Obingwa,Isiala Ngwa?Are there Chairmen and councillors non ngwa too?If yes how come?Or are there high populations of non ngwa people there too?

Does aba generate its own revenue or does it wait for allocation like all other LGAS?
asha 2:

Ok i can understand the issue of Aba having non Ngwa as chairmen and counciliors because of the high populattion of non ngwa indigenes but [b]what about Obingwa,Isiala Ngwa?Are there Chairmen and councillors non ngwa too?[/b]If yes how come?Or are there high populations of non ngwa people there too?

I've made some couple of calls to confirm the other Ngwa L.G.As. When i get the confirmations from my friends, i'll inform you. But i'll for now work with the known fact on the Aba L.G.As.

Personally, I appreciate the presence of non-Ngwas in Aba, and so do many Ngwas too. They have contributed a lot, especially the entrepreneurs and i will not like to see any disrespect towards them by my people. But this is where the problem lies:

Those traditional
rulers are the people who sold
the indigenous people for
pittance making the area to be
represented by non-indigenes in
many elective posts and these
non-indigenes have no interest
of their constituency at heart
because there is not their native
area, so they can afford to leave
the constituency in a mess as
they will surely return to their
native area one day. It is only in
Aba that non-indigenes are
elected to elective posts in the
whole of Nigeria and the
traditional rulers are the major
facilitators of this because they
sell their conscience to the
highest bidder.
This writer is sure that Dr. Okorie
(Macro) who took over from
G.C. Duru as the chairman of the
local government did something
for those hungry people
parading themselves as
traditional rulers. One always
sees those traditional rulers
hanging around at the Aba
South Local Government
Secretariat, looking for one
favour or the other from the
chairman and other principal
officers of the council.
What role are those traditional
rulers playing to warrant their
receipt of those vehicles, material
and monetary gifts? None,
virtually none other than
working against the interests,
wishes and aspirations of their
subjects, and helping in making
"Aba The City of Dung"! The
money used in purchasing those
vehicles every successive
chairman of the local
government gives away to those
men of low virtues calling
themselves "Ndi Eze" and other
gifts they receive, could go a
long way in solving one problem
or the other that would benefit
all the people of the area. The
chairman takes care of those
traditional rulers and goes to
"sleep" as he has settled the
"royal representatives" of the
people and is then insulated
from criticisms for non-
performance, because, the royal
fathers' "insurance" covers him

And to your other question? Yes, Aba generates it's own income from the Ariaria Market, the second largest market in West Africa after Onitsha.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 11:05pm On Oct 04, 2010
Asha, I don't know about the LGA chairmen.

Ezeagu, I'm not sure what you're getting at with the Nike, Ngwo or Ikwerre people, but regarding the issue of the feeling that the area is not respected as "their land", my very first response should be give you some sort of understanding.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 11:14pm On Oct 04, 2010
I'll go and look into the issue of LGA chairmen.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by beneli(m): 12:24pm On Oct 05, 2010
The issue of non indigenes of ala Ngwa becoming LGA chairmen, is mostly an Aba thing.

Isiala Ngwa North and South LGA's, for instance, have always had chairmen from those areas.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha80(m): 12:30pm On Oct 05, 2010
beneli:

The issue of non indigenes of ala Ngwa becoming LGA chairmen, is mostly an Aba thing.

Isiala Ngwa North and South LGA's, for instance, have always had chairmen from those areas.

Now those Lgas how are they faring?the chairmen who have always come from ngwa are they developing the area with the allocated money or are the embezzling it like others?
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by beneli(m): 1:41pm On Oct 05, 2010
^^^

To be honest, they are 'embezzling it (the allocated money) like others'!

The sense I get, from members of my extended family who occasionally go about soliciting for contracts from some of those LGA chairmen, is that the indigenes are being 'marginalised' from partaking in the obscene carnival of resource-squandering that goes on at those Local Government offices-at the expense of salaries, development etc obviously and to the knowledge of the state governor, who gets his share! One of my cousins who now prefers to look for contracts outside of the state, says that the indigenous contractors are treated with such open contempt and derision that that that sense of being occupied by 'outsiders' continues to be re-enforced. And from all indications, seem to be getting more intense.

So it's difficult not to see why things are getting so heated up!

The pervading attitude, which i don't necessarily subscribe to, now seems to be; IF the money meant for development of the community must be misappropriated, then let the indigenes do the misappropriating! Unfortunately even in those LGA's where the 'indigenes' are in control of the 'resources', it's still only a powerful clique, who are hands in gloves with the rest of the criminals (like TA Orji, OUK etc) and who use OUR money to feed their insatiable appetites. They send their families abroad to live in the various properties they have bought in the UK and the USA, send their children to private schools abroad, and then use the leftovers to try to consolidate on their political ambitions by buying cups of rice and garri to distribute to the impoverished lesser human beings that make up the population of their run down LGA's!

This is a thing of shame.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha80(m): 3:46pm On Oct 05, 2010
beneli:

^^^

The sense I get, from members of my extended family who occasionally go about soliciting for contracts from some of those LGA chairmen, is that the indigenes are being 'marginalised' from partaking in the obscene carnival of resource-squandering that goes on at those Local Government offices-at the expense of salaries, development etc obviously and to the knowledge of the state governor, who gets his share! One of my cousins who now prefers to look for contracts outside of the state, says that the indigenous contractors are treated with such open contempt and derision that that that sense of being occupied by 'outsiders' continues to be re-enforced. And from all indications, seem to be getting more intense.

The pervading attitude, which i don't necessarily subscribe to, now seems to be; IF the money meant for development of the community must be misappropriated, then let the indigenes do the misappropriating! Unfortunately even in those LGA's where the 'indigenes' are in control of the 'resources', it's still only a powerful clique, who are hands in gloves with the rest of the criminals (like TA Orji, OUK etc) and who use OUR money to feed their insatiable appetites. They send their families abroad to live in the various properties they have bought in the UK and the USA, send their children to private schools abroad, and then use the leftovers to try to consolidate on their political ambitions by buying cups of rice and garri to distribute to the impoverished lesser human beings that make up the population of their run down LGA's!

ok
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by excanny: 5:55pm On Oct 05, 2010
beneli:

^^^

[b]The pervading attitude, which i don't necessarily subscribe to, now seems to be; IF the money meant for development of the community must be misappropriated, then let the indigenes do the misappropriating![/b]Unfortunately even in those LGA's where the 'indigenes' are in control of the 'resources', it's still only a powerful clique, who are hands in gloves with the rest of the criminals (like TA Orji, OUK etc) and who use OUR money to feed their insatiable appetites. They send their families abroad to live in the various properties they have bought in the UK and the USA, send their children to private schools abroad, and then use the leftovers to try to consolidate on their political ambitions by buying cups of rice and garri to distribute to the impoverished lesser human beings that make up the population of their run down LGA's!

I dont quite agree with you on this one.

With the way things are going now, no indigenous L.G chairman will be tempted to mismanage public funds. If he does so, he does so at his own peril because sooner or later the indigenous youths will come down on him with their might.

The monies accruing to Aba South L.G.A alone is more than what the remaining 16 L.G.As are getting combined, so the city of Aba deserves something better than what it is now.

If the non-indigenous representatives are not working in line with that goal because of the contempt they have for their hosts, then it's time they take the back seat.

Aba must get what it deserves and this is non-negotiable.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by beneli(m): 8:16pm On Oct 05, 2010
excanny:

With the way things are going now, no indigenous L.G chairman will be tempted to mismanage public funds. If he does so, he does so at his own peril because sooner or later the indigenous youths will come down on him with their might.

The monies accruing to Aba South L.G.A alone is more than what the remaining 16 L.G.As are getting combined, so the city of Aba deserves something better than what it is now.

If the non-indigenous representatives are not working in line with that goal because of the contempt they have for their hosts, then it's time they take the back seat.

I think the bolded is the sentiment of most Ngwa people.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha80(m): 4:14pm On Oct 06, 2010
excanny:

Well i think this is now a mindset thing of elites on both sides.To chop money.

The way we run our lgas and states in nigeria is also a big problem.Allocation!

Also just to point out that the man to give aba the greatest facelift in its history was a non indigenous ngwa or even abia man.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by excanny: 4:36pm On Oct 06, 2010
asha 80:

Well i think this is now a mindset thing of elites on both sides.To chop money.

The way we run our lgas and states in nigeria is also a big problem.Allocation!

Also just to point out that the man to give aba the greatest facelift in its history was a non indigenous ngwa or even abia man.

Yes, you are correct. Mr. Sam Mbakwe(a non-indigene) did a good job on Aba. He's is fondly remembered by all.

If his types had always been around, Aba would have not been in flames now.

Like i said earlier, there's nothing wrong with non-indigenes taking up elective positions. It's only when you betray public trust that people starts remembering where you come from.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by udezue(m): 4:47pm On Oct 06, 2010
Aba belongs to all.

There is no evidence that Aba will be better if just Ngwa ppl were in charge. The last time I checked they are not handing out freebies to non natives. Everyone is contributing. Only morons will start pointing out that this and that corrupt Chairman or whatever is not Ngwa once he messes up. Do u also point out that the ones performing well are not Ngwa? Just elect good people to lead. Its this attitude that kept the Ikwerre of Rivers in political wilderness for a long time.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha80(m): 4:50pm On Oct 06, 2010
udezue:

Aba belongs to all.

There is no evidence that Aba will be better if just Ngwa ppl were in charge. The last time I checked they are not handing out freebies to non natives. Everyone is contributing. Only morons will start pointing out that this and that corrupt Chairman or whatever is not Ngwa once he messes up. Do u also point out that the ones performing well are not Ngwa? Just elect good people to lead. Its this attitude that kept the Ikwerre of Rivers in political wilderness for a long time.

But the have Ameachi now or have their attitude changed?
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ezeagu(m): 4:53pm On Oct 06, 2010
asha 80:

Does that makes sense?
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by udezue(m): 4:54pm On Oct 06, 2010
asha 80:

Obviously many non Ikwerre like the Ndoni, Etche,  and non-natives now trust them enough to elect an Ikwerre man or he Amaechi did a good job serving everyone not just Ikwerre and isnt beating his chest all day to prove he is Ikwerre.

The type of attitude I get from some of these people turns me off.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Babies Are Named On The Eight Day / Why Do Hausa Men (aboki) Bend Down Like Women To Piss? / Interesting Facts About The 15th Century

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.