Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,259 members, 7,815,412 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos (4840 Views)

An Onicha Traditional Wedding (pictures) / Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent? / Onitsha Igbo - Bia Eba Obu Na I Na Asu Igbo Ndi Onicha! Soso Ndi Onicha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ifyalways(f): 9:43am On Oct 07, 2010
asha 80:

I have heard they are not happy that land is no longer available for them in onicha.I may be wrong though.

Udezue to be honest you are begining to sound like Ezeuche.
I don't think its true.
Assuming its true,they can be "unhappy" abt anything they choose to BUT as long as they are not disturbing other Igbos staying there,finito.
Not on single day have biz in main mkt being disrupted or closed cos Onichan's are unhappy,same goes for Relief,Nkpor spare parts etc and u wud hardly find a stall belonging to an Indigene.Awada,Nkpor,downtown Onitsha have been literally bought over by non-indigenes and they are living peacefully.Infact,every time theres a problem in Onitsha,trust me,its fuelled by non-indigenes.
what u heard is TOTALLY lies.
BTWN,what is "onhu onhu"?
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha80(m): 10:03am On Oct 07, 2010
ifyalways:

I don't think its true.
Assuming its true,they can be "unhappy" abt anything they choose to BUT as long as they are not disturbing other Igbos staying there,finito.
Not on single day have biz in main mkt being disrupted or closed cos Onichan's are unhappy,same goes for Relief,Nkpor spare parts etc and u wud hardly find a stall belonging to an Indigene.Awada,Nkpor,downtown Onitsha have been literally bought over by non-indigenes and they are living peacefully.Infact,every time theres a problem in Onitsha,trust me,its fuelled by non-indigenes.

Na only ngwa guys can answer that?
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by excanny: 10:31am On Oct 07, 2010
ifyalways:

I don't think its true.

I think the correct spelling is 'Ohnuhnu'. It's a term used to refer to non-Ngwa Igbos. It could also refer to all non-Igbos and things.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 12:18pm On Oct 07, 2010
Metal, I've got no issue with you. Likewise, you shouldn't have any with me. So don't start addressing me as if we have some sort of history or beef or whatever, because we don't, and I we won't. Simple. Now, to respond to your post, there are very few threads and very few posts in which I, myself have directly raised an Ngwa this or that topic; very few. All the derailing you complain about is credited to some of your Ohnuhnu brethren, more especially your Igbo "hero" Uchenna, who just loves keeping my people's name in his mouth. So don't come accusing me of something some of your fellow Ohnuhnu seem to love to do. Now, shouldn't you go searching for that Brooklyn kid to squabble with?
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by chyz(m): 12:29pm On Oct 07, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Metal, I've got no issue with you. Likewise, you shouldn't have any with me. So don't start addressing me as if we have some sort of history or beef or whatever, because we don't, and I we won't. Simple. Now, to respond to your post, there are very few threads and very few posts in which I, myself have directly raised an Ngwa this or that topic; very few. All the derailing you complain about is credited to some of your Ohnuhnu brethren, more especially your Igbo "hero" Uchenna, who just loves keeping my people's name in his mouth. So don't come accusing me of something some of your fellow Ohnuhnu seem to love to do. Now, shouldn't you go searching for that Brooklyn kid to squabble with?

You are beginning to go to far with your disrespect and insults. I suggest you tailor your words and tread softly.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 12:39pm On Oct 07, 2010
Chyz, the only person I've been insulting is Uchenna. Granted I am using somewhat of a harsh tone with the rest of you, but to call it an insult is overstretching it.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha80(m): 12:48pm On Oct 07, 2010
ChinenyeN

Learn when to use ohnunu or whatever.Mosy people who have not been to aba or lived in aba have no idea what that means.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 12:51pm On Oct 07, 2010
Alright, Asha.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by chyz(m): 1:16pm On Oct 07, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Chyz, the only person I've been insulting is Uchenna. Granted I am using somewhat of a harsh tone with the rest of you, but to call it an insult is overstretching it.

the onunu stuff has to stop.To be honest with you had this been in a aba or anywhere in igboland we'd be fighting as we speak(physically). That word is no good.dont ever use it around igbos that you dont know or are not close with.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 1:23pm On Oct 07, 2010
Ohnuhnu simply means "non-Ngwa". If you want to take it the wrong way, then that's your business.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by chyz(m): 1:29pm On Oct 07, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Ohnuhnu simply means "non-Ngwa". If you want to take it the wrong way, then that's your business.

And "Nigger" just means black in german but you wouldn't want white people to call you that to your face now would you? You really fall under the Igbo stereo-type. Change!
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 1:36pm On Oct 07, 2010
I actually find that word funny. Not sure what you mean by "under the Igbo stereotype", but don't expect any changes from me.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by chyz(m): 1:42pm On Oct 07, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I actually find that word funny. Not sure what you mean by "under the Igbo stereotype", but don't expect any changes from me.

You are a hypocrite. You right consistently to fellow Igbos to change there tone, ways,and modes of thing but you come out and say "don't expect any changes from me". Your eating your own dirt.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 2:03pm On Oct 07, 2010
Every human has their "thing"; something that hits them; no matter how arbitrary it may seem to others. In instances like those I can understanding people going out of their way or behaving in ways that are otherwise unlike them, and during those times, you just have to sit back and allow them to release, just so long as they do not become a danger to themselves and others. This is such instance. As you and possibly many others have noted, I am really behaving unlike myself. This is not characteristically me. You all should know that. So, allow me this time to release. I'm no hypocrite. I'm human.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 2:22pm On Oct 07, 2010
By the way, the fellow Igbo, who I advise to mitigate themselves are those who seem to almost always stay "on". It isn't all the time that I advise mitigation.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ifyalways(f): 2:54pm On Oct 07, 2010
excanny:

I think the correct spelling is 'Ohnuhnu'. It's a term used to refer to non-Ngwa Igbos. It could also refer to all non-Igbos and things.
OK.
Thank you.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by udezue(m): 2:57pm On Oct 07, 2010
asha 80:

I have heard they are not happy that land is no longer available for them in onicha.I may be wrong though.

Udezue to be honest you are begining to sound like Ezeuche.

Please explain yourself better. Give me examples where and when I have taken my time to insult Ngwa people or display my dislike towards them.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by udezue(m): 3:45pm On Oct 07, 2010
Beneli,
U seem not to get it. U cant have it both ways. Your choice of word is very distasteful. U and Chinyen need to watch how you address people. If you came to an Igbo gathering and people were discussing issues including Ngwa I don't think you will use that word boldly especially if people knew what it meant and how you are using it. A quick slap across the face will shut you up. You are completely ignorant if you see nothing derogatory about it. I might as well put you in the same league as the ones who u say show you dislike. So mannerless. Just address individuals and don't blanket everyone under that stupidd term of yours "ohnuhnu" The hell is that? I never even knew it until u said it coz my blood aunt and cousins don't use it and don't spend their day and night boring us with "Ngwa consciousness" or whatever u wanna call it. I dont even see it as consciousness but as covered up display of dislike towards or aversion towards anything non-Ngwa.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 4:09pm On Oct 07, 2010
Udezue, it's like I told Chyz, if you want to take it the wrong way, that's your business. The expression has already been explained to you, and you're choosing to see it as derogatory. Granted though, I am using a harsh tone. Maybe that is what is affecting your interpretation.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 4:16pm On Oct 07, 2010
Although, I think I can understand how you must be feeling about the expression. Sorry if you feel that way about it, but it is what it is.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by beneli(m): 8:55pm On Oct 07, 2010
After having read Mr Udezue's post I actually bothered to call a school friend of mine who comes from the Ohafia area, who like myself schooled in Aba in the 80's.

I asked him whether, as a non-Ngwa person, who was born and brought up in Aba, he finds the term 'Onhu hu' to be offensive. He responded as I thought he would; to the best of his knowledge it has no derogatory connotations, unless of course it is now interpreted otherwise in the politically charged environment of today's Aba.

If it now has derogatory connotations, then my apologies to everyone else.

The term 'Onhu hu', as far as I am aware, comes from the story of how the progenitors of ndi-Ngwa and their siblings; specifically ndi-Mbaise came to be in their present location. The story has it that the brothers had journeyed from afar, and arriving at the banks of Imo river, decided to rest a bit and prepare something (Yam) to eat. One group who seemed to be in a hurry, decided to quickly boil their yam and get on with the journey, while the others preferred to spend more time, roasting theirs.

Unfortunately for them, the level of the river started to rise before the latter group. . .the ones that preferred to roast their yam. . .ndi onhu hu. . .were able to gather their things and cross the river. As a result, they were separated by the river from their brothers. . .the ones who had been in a hurry. . . or ndi-ngwa ngwa. . .

The Ngwa say that's how they became known as ndi Ngwa (short for ngwa ngwa), while their brothers who remained on the other bank of the river were referred to as ndi onhu hu. In recent times the term has been used to refer to all people who come from outside Ngwa land and not just ndi-Mbaise.  Most Aba people would know that. But then Mr Udezue admits that he doesn't know much about Aba; which makes one to wonder why he would then bother to comment on something he knows absolutely nothing about!

On the issue of whether Ngwa people want non-Ngwas to leave Aba, I would respond that whoever introduced that angle to this thread is rather mischevious and has an evil agenda. It certainly has not come from me. And I doubt that any enlightened Ngwa person would say anything like that.

What I had raised in my earlier post was about how some of the LGA chairmen in Aba hold their non-Ngwa contractors in contempt and sometimes even resort to open derision. I then mentioned some of my own personal experiences of being a victim of anti-Ngwa sentiments and then stated that as a result of such experiences and because of such statements like;  'an Ngwa person can never be govenor in Abia state'. . .which by the way is not an invention of that airhead that prattles around Nairaland. . . I am not surprised about the apparent rise in 'Ngwa Consciousness'. . .even if such is being orchestrated and manipulated by Ngwa politicians. 

Using 'merit' as an excuse for there never having been an Ngwa Govenor in Abia state, as insinuated by Mr Udezue, is laughable. Let' not forget that this is a state where the likes of OUK and T.A.Orji have been govenors. . .

The way I see it; the Ngwa problems in abia state almost parallels the political problems of ndi-igbo in the Nigerian experiment. . .and the one who wears the shoe knows where it pinches. . .
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by chyz(m): 2:07am On Oct 20, 2010
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 4:32am On Oct 20, 2010
No demarcated lanes? shocked See how one van just carelessly drove out from behind the Mercedes and the other van on Onitsha bridge. . and the one about Aba, see accident about to happen at 0:24 (that blue van and the cyclist). Na wa.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha80(m): 10:50am On Oct 20, 2010
ChinenyeN:

No demarcated lanes? shocked See how one van just carelessly drove out from behind the Mercedes and the other van on Onitsha bridge. . and the one about Aba, see accident about to happen at 0:24 (that blue van and the cyclist). Na wa.

hehe this statement just shows you do not know much about nigeria
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 12:33pm On Oct 20, 2010
asha 80:

hehe this statement just shows you do not know much about nigeria
True. In terms of infrastructure, and other specifics, such as legality and politics, I know little to nothing.
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ezeagu(m): 1:13am On Oct 21, 2010
ChinenyeN:

If no one died then it wasn't an incident. grin cry grin
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 2:56pm On Oct 21, 2010
ezeagu:

If no one died then it wasn't an incident. grin cry grin
Chai. . Na real wa. Bia, Ezeagu, what's the deal with your signature? haha
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by matazzmagi(m): 4:23pm On Oct 21, 2010
i grew up in onitsha,the onitsha indegent felt that other igbos are taking over there land building houses development everywere most onitsha indegents dont do buisness like the other igbos but only thing onitsha people do is study law so that he or she can fight for land with the next town obosi and ogidi and nkpo, they used to say nwa onye igbo ibiaka onitsha ilako miri pump!!!!!!!
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by asha80(m): 4:39pm On Oct 21, 2010
matazzmagi:

i grew up in onitsha,the onitsha indegent felt that other igbos are taking over there land building houses development everywere[b] most onitsha indegents dont do buisness like the other igbos but only thing onitsha people do is study law so that he or she can fight for land with the next town obosi and ogidi and nkpo, they used to say nwa onye igbo ibiaka onitsha ilako miri pump!!!!!!![/b]

Another angle but how can they fight obosi,nkpor and ogidi for land when those places are not onicha?
Re: Ill Feelings Of Indegent Igbos Of Aba,onicha Etc To Other Igbos by finezlord: 4:19pm On Nov 10, 2011
is high time you guys man up and stop blaming others for your laziness. i am from OLD BENDE region and i have been waiting to hear any of you saying that we are the cause of your slavery but hence you guys canott confront your fear you will remain where you are till God knows when.but if you need the truth go and ask your forefathers why they sold out just for stock fish and a bottle of schnapps.until then i rest my case losers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ncha-ude-Black Soap / "Ọwọ́ Ọmọdé Ò Tó Pẹpẹ" - See The Real Meaning (graphic Photo) / I NEED Clarification About Ngwa Culture In Abia State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.