Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? (52522 Views)

Is This Snake Venomous? / How Poisonous Is This? (photo) / Black Mamba: The Deadliest Snake In The World - Facts And Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by sammyj: 3:51pm On Jun 18, 2019
wink cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked Na true shocked shocked shocked
Canadanow:
Some of us just dey read comment to see if it's venomous or not and to see the name of the snake. Shey na lie? cool wink

1 Like

Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by goodnewscliff(m): 3:51pm On Jun 18, 2019
missyblissy:

Oga abeg all snakes are poisonious or venomous to me. For eg echie te ka (tomorrow is too far) a snake in Nsukka, very short, black and jumps when step up on is very dangerous snake. Abeg op beware of all snakes abeg.

The 5years i spent in Nsukka i don't usually go out at night because it seen during rainy season. If i must go out, i must have my touch light to aviod stories that touch
thaiiiinnnk u in broda shaggys voice
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by freemanbubble: 3:52pm On Jun 18, 2019
Born2Breed:

I'm maniacally bewildered by your stupidity.

I lost an aunty due to snake bite. Every snake is a threat to all humans.

Then na Dendroaspis polylepis(black mamba) bite your aunty

The black mamba was trying to defend itself from your stupid aunty
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by missyblissy: 3:54pm On Jun 18, 2019
dfrost:

That's gobe da nisa in Hausa. It's a puff adder, I guess. That snake eeeeeehhhhh embarassed cry shocked

You no need to tell me ooo. The snake wicked and bad. Chai it killed some students during my time in Nsukka. It could be avioded if only they use their touch light at night. Whether you step on it unknowingly, it will still bite you. Hmmmm... I fear that snake no be small!!
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by letout: 3:58pm On Jun 18, 2019
Lmao

you got the specie of the snake. But the later part of you saying, living with a cobra is quite harmless go to India and find out or better still buy a cobra a keep it as a pet. Nigerian Tarzan grin
freemanbubble:
Is like you are young, dumb and broke

That is called garter snake you moronn
Very harmless

To many electrons, protons, neutrons and morons in this universe

These are friendly garter snakes and different from cobra

The rate at which we kill them these days, their population will soon be threatened. Lets learn to live peacefully with these beautiful snakes. They don't bite to attack and to defend.
If you keep your cool, a human - garter snake cohabitation is very possible.

Even the cobra self they only bite to defend
Because i dey reason am why he be say if snake come meet us for house them nor dey harm us. Sometimes self you fit live with snake for two years inside house them nor go do you anything

There is no way you can be bitten by a snake in a residential building
Which means they respect us
So lets learn how to respect them
Please lets learn to live and stay with this beautiful creature called snake

Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by letout: 3:58pm On Jun 18, 2019
Lmao x

you got the specie of the snake. But the later part of you saying, living with a cobra is quite harmless go to India and find out or better still buy a cobra a keep it as a pet. Nigerian Tarzan grin
freemanbubble:

Very harmless

The rate at which we kill them these days, their population will soon be threatened. Lets learn to live peacefully with these beautiful snakes. They don't bite to attack and to defend.

Because i dey reason am why he be say if snake come meet us for house them nor dey harm us. Sometimes self you fit live with snake for two years inside house them nor go do you anything

Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by Dandsome: 3:58pm On Jun 18, 2019
goodnewscliff:
y re u people madt gan open d mouth of a live snake? or deaded snake u re right nairaland aint a place for advice

Mr ITK the picture the Op posted is the picture of a dead snake. You can open the mouth with a stick.

Okachamara!!!
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by KingOpe: 4:02pm On Jun 18, 2019
Plant lemon grass all over your compound..you will never see a snake after that. They really hate the smell

quote author=Zammzammm post=79426553]Please nairalanders i need information about this snake. The snake is very common in eti osa area of Lagos.

This is the second one that I have killed this year in my compound . There are undeveloped plot of land around my compound, I suspect that they come from there I need to know the specie, and if they are venomous and poisonous.

Thanks for anticipated assistance [/quote]
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by Sportwin(m): 4:06pm On Jun 18, 2019
Zammzammm:
Please nairalanders i need information about this snake. The snake is very common in eti osa area of Lagos.

This is the second one that I have killed this year in my compound . There are undeveloped plot of land around my compound, I suspect that they come from there I need to know the specie, and if they are venomous and poisonous.

Thanks for anticipated assistance

Sir start rearing Guinea fowls and ducks

Watch the snakes miraculously disappear

Those birds no Deh use eyee see snake
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by drololaaof: 4:07pm On Jun 18, 2019
What are you saying venomous or poisonous? Leave the animal alone you are the one that trespass to into it territory, water loving animal living in swampy area feeding on toads and other aquatic fauna
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by naijajobx: 4:09pm On Jun 18, 2019
Oh
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by Odogwu042(m): 4:09pm On Jun 18, 2019
flowx:
Come to Badore, Addo, Thomas Estate. Just go anywhere near bush you must see this creature...

Guy you wan make I come dey fear as I dey Thomas estate.
I hate snakes tueh

1 Like

Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jun 18, 2019
Banky W comes to mind
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 18, 2019
freemanbubble:

Then na Dendroaspis polylepis(black mamba) bite your aunty

The black mamba was trying to defend itself from your stupid aunty

Bros get sense na.. there are no Black mambas in West Africa
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by freemanbubble: 4:19pm On Jun 18, 2019
Devgod:

Moronn

Only not common
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jun 18, 2019
freemanbubble:

Moronn

Only not common
you must a demented dimwit.. how then do you know she was bitten by one? You fool. Even if they can be found in West Africa. But obviously not Nigeria. Then how did your pea sized brain conclude it was a blackmamba. You piece of cum angry
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by freemanbubble: 4:34pm On Jun 18, 2019
Devgod:
you must a demented dimwit.. how then do you know she was bitten by one? You fool. Even if they can be found in West Africa. But obviously not Nigeria. Then how did your pea sized brain conclude it was a blackmamba. You piece of cum angry

You deserve a medal for being stupid
Two medals to be precise
One medal for being stupid
And the second medal should be given to you incase you lose the first one

If black mamba is not common doesn't mean one can not bite you

Such a low budget asss Moda fuckkking dumb niggarrr
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jun 18, 2019
freemanbubble:

Very harmless

You are very arrogant and rude. He posted this because he needed answers.

In some countries, there are conservation agencies to contact when you come into contact with certain reptiles, birds and animals. In the event that a suspicious and potentially dangerous reptile like the garter snake encroached on your property, you should try as much as possible to move away from it and avoid it as your action might trigger or threaten it to attack.

Do you have such in Nigeria or Lagos where the Op lives? If you know any agency and their contact details, you should post it instead of acting silly.

FYI, garter snake can be poisonous and depending on its feeding habit can be harmful to human. It’s not poisonous enough to cause fatality in human...at least there’s no evidence to that effect but imagine a baby crawling in the compound and being bitten by this snake!

1 Like

Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jun 18, 2019
missyblissy:

Oga abeg all snakes are poisonious or venomous to me. For eg echie te ka (tomorrow is too far) a snake in Nsukka, very short, black and jumps when step up on is very dangerous snake. Abeg op beware of all snakes abeg.

The 5years i spent in Nsukka i don't usually go out at night because it seen during rainy season. If i must go out, i must have my touch light to aviod stories that touch
dfrost:

That's gobe da nisa in Hausa. It's a puff adder, I guess. That snake eeeeeehhhhh embarassed cry shocked

Gobe di nisa is viper and not puff adder
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by OAUTemitayo: 4:36pm On Jun 18, 2019
Guestlander:
You are encroaching on their territory. Rather than trying to kill them perhaps you can try and release them somewhere safe.
Snakes may soon become extinct at the rate at which they are being killed.
The world will be a better place
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by freemanbubble: 4:38pm On Jun 18, 2019
gbosaa:

You are very arrogant and rude. He posted this because he needed answers.

In some countries, there are conservation agencies to contact when you come into contact with certain reptiles, birds and animals. In the event that a suspicious and potentially dangerous reptile like the garter snake encroached on your property, you should try as much as possible to move away from it and avoid it as your action might trigger or threaten it to attack.

Do you have such in Nigeria or Lagos where the Op lives? If you know any agency and their contact details, you should post it instead of acting silly.

FYI, garter snake can be poisonous and depending on its feeding habit can be harmful to human. It’s not poisonous enough to cause fatality in human...at least there’s no evidence to that effect but imagine a baby crawling in the compound and being bitten by this snake!

A snake can not bite a baby crawling even in the bush
Not to talk of a residential building you moronn

Snakes can figure out a threat immediately
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 4:48pm On Jun 18, 2019
Ikem11:

All snakes does the only different is that some venoms isn't that high. No snake doesn't have venoms and all bites
Not all snakes have venom and only 4% have venom strong enough to kill an adult human
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 4:52pm On Jun 18, 2019
Devgod:
Black mambas are native to subsaharan Africa, Nigeria inclusive
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 4:54pm On Jun 18, 2019
freemanbubble:

A snake can not bite a baby crawling even in the bush
Not to talk of a residential building you moronn

Snakes can figure out a threat immediately
A snake will strike anything it sees as a threat, whether a baby or an adult. Some people get bitten by just stepping close to a snake, they didn't really need to step ON the snake.
Did you really have to insult him to reply? That's really rude
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by Synthase(m): 4:59pm On Jun 18, 2019
adaweezy:
Nigeria is in trouble if no one can answer this question.
Bikonu how is Nigeria n trouble because of lack of the knowledge of snake Who snake epp? Who snake put food for their table?

@op
I remember back in the uni days a lecturer whose research interest was in snakes told us one can differentiate venomous snakes from non venomous ones by checking the position of their fangs, he said front fanged snakes (like in the pix someone posted above) are venomous while back fanged snakes (they ave their fangs at the back in the mouth) are not venomous... Yes, Prof. Owa said so.
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by Ohraybs(m): 5:00pm On Jun 18, 2019
Zammzammm:
Please nairalanders i need information about this snake. The snake is very common in eti osa area of Lagos.

Thanks for anticipated assistance

No oh... It's not venomous, it's the friendly type jaaare.... Cos if it wasn't venomous, u wouldn't have killed it... angry

1 Like

Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by 3rdeyeNigeria: 5:03pm On Jun 18, 2019
yungmill:
you are wrong bro not all snakes have venom I have forgotten the name of this snake it mimics a very venomous snake even in shape size and color only those who truly know them can differentiate them, yet it has no venom at all there is even a poem about them "red and yellow kills a fellow, red and black a gentle fellow, they both have the same colours but the difference is the sequence of colour pattern. And lastly because a snake isn't venomous doesn't mean a bite from said snake should be treated with levity even a shark has no venom but a bite almost inevitably gives you a serious or mild bacterial infection look it up bro

The poisonous one is coral snake - red touching yellow

The other is red touching black is not dangerous
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 18, 2019
freemanbubble:

Very harmless

He can as well engage in snake farming extracting non poisonous and poisonous venom for medical uses.
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by Tedpgrass: 5:07pm On Jun 18, 2019
missyblissy:

There is a plant you need to plant in your compound to stop snakes from coming to your compoind. My boss house is full of green plants everywhere roof, wall, garden etc but no snake. I dont know the plant but those plant sellers will the particular plant

I may be wrong--- Efirin in Yoruba
Spread the taba seeds .. at boundaries

The cat suggestion makes some sense..

Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by yungmill(m): 5:10pm On Jun 18, 2019
3rdeyeNigeria:

The poisonous one is coral snake - red touching yellow

The other is red touching black is not dangerous

You are right bro but snakes are not poisonous but may be venomous it's toads that are poisonous.
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by missyblissy: 5:23pm On Jun 18, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Gobe di nisa is viper and not puff adder

What? shocked viper shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked oluwa oooooooooooooo
Is viper part of black mamba family?
Re: Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? by Oseh1Gidigba: 5:23pm On Jun 18, 2019
Just fumigates the bush nearby with herbicides. When the environment changed, the snakes will pack out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BIG Crocodile Caught Alive In Imo At Ota-mmiri River, Ihiagwa (Photos) / See The Long Python Killed By My Cousins This Morning / Top 10 Predictions Of Notradamus(d Man Dat Saw Tomorrow)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.