Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts (29190 Views)

IGP Orders Prosecution Of Zainab Duke Abiola Over Assault On Orderly / Four Men Gang-rape Lagos School Girl For Five Days / Yangy, Babcock Student Accused Of Raping 24 Women. He Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts by 9jaRealist: 1:05am On Jun 19, 2019
baby124:

They don’t need her as a witness, plus they have evidence she withdrew under duress. This is the state vs the boys now. By the way if the court ask you to testify and you lie or refuse. You can be arrested and jailed.

Of course, they need her as a witness because the defendants have the constitutional RIGHT to confront witnesses against them, and the state cannot introduce her written statement (a witness account) without making her available for cross-examination. Since there were only three people in there, her evidence is absolutely CRUCIAL to proving that this was not just a sexual encounter but actually rape.

Of course, any witness can be subpoenaed and every witness swears an oath to be truthful subject to the penalty of perjury, but you CANNOT force a witness to render any one particular account of events. Accordingly, as I previously noted, she has made the state’s job and burden infinitely MORE DIFFICULT (but not necessarily impossible). I hope they nail the bastards, but it won’t be easy!
>
Re: Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts by liberalchick(f): 3:48am On Jun 19, 2019
Isn’t there a tape of the crime? She didn’t witness the rape, she was passed out. This was the version I read, she woke up in the hotel room and asked the boys if they did anything to her, they said no but she wasn’t convinced so she called her brother who came to the hotel with policemen. The policemen confiscated their phones and discovered the video. There is a video of when the policemen came to the hotel and took their phones.

Along with a rape kit, I guess the state is confident they can get a conviction without her.
9jaRealist:

Of course, they need her as a witness because the defendants have the constitutional RIGHT to confront witnesses against them, and the state cannot introduce her written statement (a witness account) without making her available for cross-examination. Since there were only three people in there, her evidence is absolutely CRUCIAL to proving that this was not just a sexual encounter but actually rape.

Of course, any witness can be subpoenaed and every witness swears an oath to be truthful subject to the penalty of perjury, but you CANNOT force a witness to render any one particular account of events. Accordingly, as I previously noted, she has made the state’s job and burden infinitely MORE DIFFICULT (but not necessarily impossible). I hope they nail the bastards, but it won’t be easy!
>

3 Likes

Re: Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts by 9jaRealist: 3:51am On Jun 19, 2019
liberalchick:
Isn’t there a tape of the crime? She didn’t witness the rape, she was passed out. This was the version I read, she woke up in the hotel room and asked the boys if they did anything to her, they said no but she wasn’t convinced so she called her brother who came to the hotel with policemen. The policemen confiscated their phones and discovered the video. There is a video of when the policemen came to the hotel and took their phones.

Along with a rape kit, I guess the state is confident they can get a conviction without her.

Well, if there’s a tape it makes the state’s case stronger...
>

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts by dazzlingd(m): 5:50am On Jun 19, 2019
No rapist shall go unpunished

1 Like

Re: Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts by Born2Breed(f): 6:01am On Jun 19, 2019
Best news!!!

1 Like

Re: Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts by Ubdavis(m): 8:01am On Jun 19, 2019
If to say na just me, the word tape, would have gone into extinction... I don't need it..
Re: Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts by jaxxy(m): 8:07am On Jun 19, 2019
Do we even have any database files for criminals and offenders?
Re: Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts by Senatorlatido: 8:21am On Jun 19, 2019
Sex with a fine girl is as cheap as a bottle of coke. See the big trouble these useless guys put themselves.
Re: Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts by Nobody: 9:32am On Jun 19, 2019
D1zion:
She's being threatened by one if the guys father.the owner of the hotel & even involving her poor father in the threat that's why.but I pray justice to take its cause.

One of the suspect's father got the victim's brother arrested for allegedly vandalizing his hotel when he came to confront the said rapist. I also hear that the victim and her family have been getting threatening phone calls to drop the case.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts by Efegoma(m): 11:58am On Jun 19, 2019
What is the maximum sentence for convicted rapist ?? CASTRATION ?
Re: Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts by Triangles1(m): 10:25am On Jun 21, 2019
9jaRealist:

Are you trying to justify rape? angry
>

Don't worry, you will experience it one day when your girl will accused you of rape when love go sour.
Re: Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts by 9jaRealist: 12:43pm On Jun 21, 2019
Triangles1:

Don't worry, you will experience it one day when your girl will accused you of rape when love go sour.

If I drugged “my girl”, brought along a pal to join in and taped it, she will be RIGHT to accuse me of rape...
>
Re: Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts by Triangles1(m): 4:57pm On Jun 21, 2019
9jaRealist:

If I drugged “my girl”, brought along a pal to join in and taped it, she will RIGHT to accuse me of rape...
>

You're right in that case of your comment, then no need to argue again, let them face the chamber.

I didn't know there's a tape for this allegation.
Re: Lekki Hotel Rape: Lagos Will Continue Prosecution Of 2 Babcock Dropouts by oxypress: 5:42pm On Nov 26, 2019
This case is of public interest. Can someone give us the latest?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LUTH Fake Doctor Who Was Arrested (Photo) / Customs Intercepts 11 Vehicles Smuggled Into The Country / Nigerian Man Detained By Italian Police For Beating Wife Throws Baby From Storey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.