Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half (2812 Views)

Meet Man Who Won 900 Million In Bet9ja / Im Thinking Of Divorce Just Few Months Into Marriage / Man Proposes To Girlfriend On A Boat In The Middle Of A River (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by Naijabash(m): 9:28am On Jun 22, 2019
Man Who Won $80 Million Lottery in The Middle of Divorce, Ordered to Give Ex Wife Half of it

A Michigan man who won an $80million lottery while he was getting divorced has been told he must give half of his windfall to his estranged wife.

Richard Anthony Zelasko, 50, has been told he must give his estranged wife Mary Elizabeth, 48, half of the money he received because an arbitrator handling their divorce deems it marital property.

The couple from Pontiac, Michigan, were married between 2004 and September 2011, when Mary Elizabeth filed for divorce.

In 2013, while they were negotiating it, Richard won an $80million Mega Millions lottery.

After taxes and fees, he walked away with a lump sum of more than $38million.

Mary Elizabeth claims in court papers obtained by DailyMail.com that she was the breadwinner, earning between $100,000 and $120,000 throughout their marriage in her job as in advertising sales for Conde Nast while Richard earned $36,000.

The couple have three children together.

In his decision, arbitrator John Mills argued that while it was his first winning ticket, it was probably not the first ticket Richard bought during their marriage, often using their shared money to get it.

'As losses throughout the marriage were incurred jointly, so should winnings be shared jointly,' he said.

'It’s true that defendant spent $1.00 to purchase the winning lottery ticket, however the dollar spent was arguably marital money and, as such, a joint investment,' he added.

He also claimed that since their separation, Richard did not give Mary Elizabeth any financial support for their three children.

Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by Jasen1(m): 9:31am On Jun 22, 2019
Cheiiii

Which kind thing be this
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by MiaB(f): 9:38am On Jun 22, 2019
would never happen in Nigeria

Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by Poseidon000: 9:40am On Jun 22, 2019
So long he has got kids with the woman, he should man-up and cede as directed for the benefit of his kids. I don't care about the 'marital finance' twaddle the woman is yapping about.

Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by CosmicPhoenix: 9:41am On Jun 22, 2019

rubbish,assuming it was the woman that won,will the court ask her to give her husband half?

Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by Nbote(m): 9:43am On Jun 22, 2019
Lai lai oooo... We die there together
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by Artzdanielsz(m): 9:50am On Jun 22, 2019
Nawa so tax chop 42 millions. USA na scam

Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by GOFRONT(m): 9:51am On Jun 22, 2019

Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by hyperflex(m): 9:52am On Jun 22, 2019
Just kill me o
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by TANID(m): 9:56am On Jun 22, 2019
Poseidon000:
So long he has got kids with the woman, he should man-up and cede as directed for the benefit of his kids. I don't care about the 'marital finance' twaddle the woman is yapping about.
Well Say!
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by TANID(m): 9:57am On Jun 22, 2019
CosmicPhoenix:

rubbish,assuming it was the woman that won,will the court ask her to give her husband half?
I Thouth As Well.
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by TANID(m): 9:58am On Jun 22, 2019
Artzdanielsz:
Bro I Swear That Tax Na Real scam. What About If He Lost ?

Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by Kingosytex(m): 9:59am On Jun 22, 2019
certainly in the STATES, it can't happen in naija!!!

how can the woman reap where she did not sow?

sarrki what do u think?
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by TANID(m): 10:00am On Jun 22, 2019
MiaB:
would never happen in Nigeria
I Think They Do That To Save Thier Marriage, Perhaps They Get Kids Together.
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by TANID(m): 10:09am On Jun 22, 2019
Bet9ja Guy Food Don Land Gidigba For You Oya Come And Lie To Us Again But Make Sure It's With This Kind Of Amount Won ticket. grin
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by sarrki(m): 10:16am On Jun 22, 2019
Kingosytex:

sarrki what do u think?

For the kids I will do even better than half

The truth is I won’t tow divorce

Marry your friend

Tolerate her

They nag though

Put yourself if you are the father of the woman in quotes

Think of your children being tutored by a single parent or another woman or father

All this I think and let Peace reigns
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by Kingosytex(m): 10:23am On Jun 22, 2019
sarrki:

For the kids I will do even better than half

The truth is I won’t tow divorce

Marry your friend

Tolerate her

They nag though

Put yourself if you are the father of the woman in quotes

Think of your children being tutored by a single parent or another woman or father

All this I think and let Peace reigns

NICE ONE!
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by bukatyne(f): 10:37am On Jun 22, 2019
Hmmmmmmmm
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by Nobody: 10:37am On Jun 22, 2019
cheesy no wonder western men refuse to get married and prefer being single.see dem CR7 (christiano ronaldo) and co making babymamas upandan.i now undetstand CR7's fears.

Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by blujoi(m): 10:38am On Jun 22, 2019
For a man who had next to nothing and won $38m with just a $1 ticket, c’mon bro, he should be grateful to the US

Artzdanielsz:
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by youngsahito(m): 10:38am On Jun 22, 2019
Acrimony just came to my mind

Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by Nobody: 10:38am On Jun 22, 2019
Kingosytex:

srrki what do u think?
if na court marriage for naija e go happen wella
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by Tallesty1(m): 11:01am On Jun 22, 2019
In a time like this, all you need is the service of village people but I don't white folks have village people.
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by mrNEMZY(m): 11:06am On Jun 22, 2019
I don't believe this poo.

1. The divorce have already been kicked off before he got the money.
2. It's not like he got it through a business that had capital contribution from his wife.
3. It's a f**ken lottery.

I don't want to believe that this kind of case is even in contention, because it's legal robbery, but even if it is a baby lawyer can win the case for the man.

Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by hahn(m): 11:08am On Jun 22, 2019
CosmicPhoenix:

Yes. As long as she is the one earning more. Same thing is happening to Adele

Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by GlorifiedTunde(m): 11:44am On Jun 22, 2019
I don't think this is a problem if you read the story very well.

If the guy has been playing the lottery with joint money, then he should share.

The woman must have bore lots of responsibilities too while the dude was playing lottery.
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by BlackfireX: 11:46am On Jun 22, 2019
Taaaaaaaaaa.....

We die here.
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by Ekez(m): 3:34pm On Jun 22, 2019
Artzdanielsz:
my broda i just weak.
How i go take win &80 milli and go home with 38 huh
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by Naijabash(m): 7:23pm On Jun 22, 2019
:odo
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jun 22, 2019
Marriage is a scam.
If this man had remained single, this nonsense wouldn't have happened. sad

NB: Anybody who comes here to say the man wouldn't have won the lottery if he was single bla bla be ready for do frog jump. sad
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by TLE900: 7:37pm On Jun 22, 2019
Story from the gods.
Re: Man Who Won $80m Lottery In The Middle Of Divorce, Ordered To Give Ex Wife Half by Naijabash(m): 7:47pm On Jun 22, 2019
nawaoo

I Am Not Happy At All, I'm Devastated, I'm Depressed, I'm Frustrated / Response To: Ladies Avoid Yahoo Boys. / I Got My Laptop Back But She Made A Scene Of It