Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt (48945 Views)

Abuja Airport Shut Down As Aircraft Overshoots Runway (Pictures/Video) / Air Force Plane Suffers Tyre Burst, Overshoots Runway (Picture) / The Moment Air Peace Plane Landed At Anambra Int'l Airport (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 2:07am On Jun 23, 2019
AgreatMan:
If you think rain or mud is slippery, try snow.

There r airports in countries with like Russia, Canada, China, UK etc where they r snow but things things like this don't come up.

No excuse for failure o. That plane tire don chop, make them go replace am and resurface d tarmac. They should also check the brakes on the aircraft or perhaps, consider replacing some of their flying Dinosaurs.

Exactly what I was discussing with my colleagues today.

In Nigerian, Potholes and avoidable accidents are the only indicators that the runways need fixing.

On the other hand, greed won't allow the airline coys carry out any meaningful repairs...

Zero maintenance culture. Everything is patch and go till the inevitable happen.
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Juliearth(f): 2:54am On Jun 23, 2019
AgreatMan:

There r airports in countries with like Russia, Canada, China, UK etc where they r snow but things things like this don't come up.

No excuse for failure o. That plane tire don chop, make them go replace am and resurface d tarmac. They should also check the brakes on the aircraft or perhaps, consider replacing some of their flying Dinosaurs.

God bless you!
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Juliearth(f): 2:55am On Jun 23, 2019
amaks:
Serious. Thank God no life was lost. Passengers should be thanking God for a second chance of life. Landing is usually a dangerous phase of the flight. Do the rain contribute? Hope this will be investigated thoroughly to prevent reoccurence. And all recommendations from the investigation implemented and sustained. Not just swept under the carpet.

In a sane country, this wouldn't even happen and if it does, your last two sentences woukd suffice. My dearest country does not believe in preventive maintenance.
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:02am On Jun 23, 2019
Originalsly:

They should've shutdown the airports and delay/divert flights until weather conditions improved... that's the international practice.Guess these guys just remembered after the storm... after the accident... and decided it's better late than never.

Exactly, but trust them, no communication to customers until it was around 5pm. And they had to shutdown all operations when weather became very very ok. Meanwhile the plane wasn't actually blocking the runway as it veered off completely. Same plane was supposed to take us back to Abj. Nevertheless, thank God for the pax and entire crew.

1 Like

Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:03am On Jun 23, 2019
dingbang:
wait. So even tomorrow that is Sunday, they won't fly still?

We are still hopeful. No information yet
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:04am On Jun 23, 2019
otokx:

They should make alternative arrangements via the city airport at airforce base.

NAFBASE is like airstrip for light planes.
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:07am On Jun 23, 2019
Reference:

Probably the only functional runway and it will remain closed until the aircraft can he removed which is not an easy task in the mud.

It's really unfortunate. You needed to see their contingency management plan. Ver very poor for a supposed international Airport. Well we will improve by fire by force. Even comedian Gordons was just moving helplessly as we were all together in the mess
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:08am On Jun 23, 2019
OakPearl:

In their confused state without an iotta of an idea on what to do, they think shutting down the airspace is the wisest thing to do.

No regard for the time and schedule of the ordinary Nigerian. cry

Their contingency management plan was and still really poor....
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:10am On Jun 23, 2019
Racoon:
Feel your pain sir.I was once trapped too.God have a reason for every of our disappointment in life.

Thanks for your concerns Sir. God knows best. But the last minute grounding of entire PHC airspace was actually uncalled for.
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by sakssey23: 3:36am On Jun 23, 2019
AgreatMan:

I'm sure all these countries you just mentioned do have proper house keeping (maintenance crew) - that works 24-7.
The question we should ask ourselves - what were the airport management doing to avoid such encounters. We should have personnels clearing the runway of any debris, water-logged area etc. They have the timelines of every flight leaving and coming in.

Probably I might be wrong but then good house keeping would surely help since it rained.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by rumomonga(m): 4:17am On Jun 23, 2019
AgreatMan:

1. If a snow fall is too thin, it will be slippery.
2. If a snow fall is thick, it will have incredible grip.
3. When a thick snowfall begins to melt towards d afternoon, it will be slippery.
4. When d temperature drops further at night, snow would turn to ice. This one is worst. Your all wheel drive cannot help u. If u don't walk with tactics, u must fall. U cannot even of think of riding a bike or anything that does not have four wheels. Na skating level u dey.

Snow go make u Understand say mud na your friend.

Hydroplaning u talking about is just theory. I have given u d 4 possibilities and only point number 2 has grip.

What was his point exactly?
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Abiodunstephen(m): 5:50am On Jun 23, 2019
AgreatMan:

3. When a thick snowfall begins to melt towards d afternoon, it will be slippery.
4. When d temperature drops further at night, snow would turn to ice. This one is worst. Your all wheel drive cannot help u. If u don't walk with tactics, u must fall. U cannot even of think of riding a bike or anything that does not have four wheels. Na skating level u dey.

Hydroplaning u talking about is just theory. I have given u d 4 possibilities and only point number 2 has grip.

you are right but you instincts should tell you that,
there is a winter tyre and there is Summer tyre.
winter tyre are made for snow and Summer are made for high temperature.
but in Nigeria we don't have winter nor summer especially in southern part.
so no rain tyre until they start designing that, spare me this.
also from your previous statement, plane overshoot occur in different part of the world I had experience once in Singerpor so let stop all this it only Nigeria thing.
many thing are happening outside Nigeria that you don't know anything about.

3 Likes

Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Jbcmotive(m): 6:03am On Jun 23, 2019
AgreatMan:

@AgreatMan says hydroplanning is a theory. grin grin grin What a World.

1 Like

Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Jbcmotive(m): 6:06am On Jun 23, 2019
Stallion2019:

Exactly what I was discussing with my colleagues today.

In Nigerian, Potholes and avoidable accidents are the only indicators that the runways need fixing.

On the other hand, greed won't allow the airline coys carry out any meaningful repairs...

Zero maintenance culture. Everything is patch and go till the inevitable happen.

@stallion2019 meaningful maintenance before meaningful repairs. Their culture? 'If it isn't broken why fix it?'
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by emezuo17: 6:32am On Jun 23, 2019
PatrioticNaija:
We all are still stranded in PHC because of this incident. All flights in/out of PHC were cancelled. I am missing my family already..........
. It is well, thank God you are alive, you will still see your family,� what the worst had happened.
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 6:33am On Jun 23, 2019
drunk pilots.
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Topshow4real: 6:59am On Jun 23, 2019
Eeyah! These ones no go near aeroplane again embarassed
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by otokx(m): 7:42am On Jun 23, 2019
PatrioticNaija:

NAFBASE is like airstrip for light planes.

Light planes that cab sit 30 - 40 people at least can still go some way.
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by otokx(m): 7:43am On Jun 23, 2019
Any update if the airport has reopened, the rain this morning appears to be heavy and all over Greater Port Harcourt
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by dingbang(m): 8:06am On Jun 23, 2019
PatrioticNaija:

We are still hopeful. No information yet
ok
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by dingbang(m): 8:11am On Jun 23, 2019
quentin06:
drunk pilots.
dont say that.
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by 9icetoo(m): 8:16am On Jun 23, 2019
AgreatMan:

There could be a lot of reasons, poor visibility, faulty radar equipment on the part of the airport, faulty instrument landing support equipment on the part of the airport, hydroplaning (this is fact not theory),
faulty reverse thrusters on the aircraft, error on the part of the pilots etc. Wait for the AIB to conclude their investigations and give us the result. And FYI, planes have overrun tarmac in the USA, Japan, china, Canada, France and UK. It is not unusual.

1 Like

Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by 9icetoo(m): 8:23am On Jun 23, 2019
Originalsly:
Hmmm...interesting. Rainfall was concentrated in the area.... couldn't the pilot circle until the storm subsided?...or was he low on fuel?... With such rain... there is usually high winds ... was shear a factor?...which usually result in planes skidding off the strip?.. Heavy rains mean low visibility... were there lights on the runway to guide the pilot?... if not ...maybe he misjudged the strip. Is there good drainage for the rains to quickly run off... or was it all flooded? The good thing is... there is enough room for the plane to safely come to a stop. They need to investigate and take corrective actions.
Exactly the sort of questions we should be asking. Not to say it won't happen abroad or hydroplaning is a theory.

Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by zakir007(m): 8:38am On Jun 23, 2019
Jarus:
The airline has been having too many incidents in recent times. Not good for it.

And that scares some of us that use it up to 4 times a month, including yesterday.
Had same thoughts some days back on my way from lagos back to Abuja on June the 11th. Flight was for 8:15am but was shifted to 2pm (I heard the national assembly guys chartered the plane for their activities in abuja). After boarding, it took them a long time to take off as a result of bringing additional people on board who I'm suspecting were originally for 11am flight. They overloaded that plane and it was the scariest flight of my life. We had difficulty landing.
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by mariobobby(m): 8:47am On Jun 23, 2019
Design your brand logo for as low as #1,500. What's app 07032164422

Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 9:03am On Jun 23, 2019
dingbang:
ok

9am now...... everyone still stranded and......
Up till now the aircraft has still not been removed

Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Mannarich: 9:19am On Jun 23, 2019
Sometimes it's good to appreciate what we have,and I think that Airline deserve some respect looking back to the history of their operation till date, maybe we should continue to pray for more improvement instead, thanks for your concern anyway.quote author=AgreatMan post=79578552]If you think rain or mud is slippery, try snow.

No excuse for failure o. That plane tire don chop, make them go replace am and resurface d tarmac. They should also check the brakes on the aircraft or perhaps, consider replacing some of their flying Dinosaurs.[/quote]
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by manlawal(m): 10:00am On Jun 23, 2019
AgreatMan:

who told you things like this font come up in USA China and the rest?
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by Flashlaundry(m): 10:38am On Jun 23, 2019

At Flash Laundry, we take care of your laundry needs. We offer Home Service and pick up and delivery in Lagos. >08081154939<
Re: Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt by dingbang(m): 12:20pm On Jun 23, 2019
PatrioticNaija:

9am now...... everyone still stranded and......
Up till now the aircraft has still not been removed
I came there in the morning and I had to go to RTC to use bus to abuja. I'm at owerri road linking to anambra now. I sent them an email for refund anyways.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Journey From Accra To Lagos By Road. / Flood Takes Over Okota Area In Lagos (photos) / Relocating To Gambia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.