Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,517 members, 7,819,862 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) (29844 Views)

Lekki Garden, Lagos Flooded After Heavy Rain (Photos, Video) / The Deplorable State Of Roads In Imo After Heavy Rain (Photos) / Venice's Famous Canals Dry Up Due Low Tides And Lack Of Rain(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by MobilityExpress: 10:53am On Jul 02, 2019
They should change it from Abraham Adesanya to Noah Adesanya because na Noah dee handle flood grin
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by Nobody: 10:57am On Jul 02, 2019
the whole island is a mess. yet people pay millions for lands to live there. i spent 5 hours in traffic yesterday. make God fasten my visa o. need to flee
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by Nobody: 10:59am On Jul 02, 2019
livebyday:
States should be allowed to control their resource
This is my thinking
The present method doesn't seem to be working

Most governors have great intentions but it just seems maybe things are strangled at the center government
trash trash trash,how much is lagos IGR how much did lagos lose with vision scope buhahaha with lagos state( over 2 billion lost). the governors alao corner the LGA funds . so no man is of of pure heart. lasg in lagos get 150m a month. the state corners it
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by tayofrank87: 11:06am On Jul 02, 2019
Interesting
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by Nobody: 11:06am On Jul 02, 2019
Benekruku:

You are shifting goal post.

With regards to topic, I repeat again.

"So what great intentions can combat this seasonal flooding?

Cos I dont see where resource control comes into play with regards to subject matter . Or you impling resource control can stop this seasonal flooding?"

The Lekki problem is a Nigerian one - ignoring nature to foolishly urbanize endlessly. The entire Lekki-Ajah landscape is what you can a "Wet Land" - nature's natural defenses against flooding. Before environmentally ignorant Lagosians started plastering concrete everywhere, what woud have happened is that the land would have absorbed the floods into the soil.

Even worse the urbanization of that area has been largely haphazard - asides Lekki Phase 1 (which has now been bastardized), every other part of that area is unplanned - Ikate, Alpha beach, Osapa etc. Ideally, there should have been centralized infrastructure like storm-drains, and sewage-pipes - but nothing!!! Add this to the low-level of ground-water, and the implication here is that these people are literally drinking and bathing in their own shit - why else do you think every house in that axis has an expensive water filtration system?

Anyone who lives close to Alpha beach knows the ocean has been closing in every freaking year!!! And yet people are still rushing to put up expensive real-estate, and when things like this happen, everyone blames the government.

The government is VERY corrupt - YES!!! But Lagosians need to stop testing nature, cos as climate change exacerbates, these things would get much worse.

2 Likes

Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by Benekruku(m): 11:14am On Jul 02, 2019
Bagehot:

The Lekki problem is a Nigerian one - ignoring nature to foolishly urbanize endlessly. The entire Lekki-Ajah landscape is what you can a "Wet Land" - nature's natural defenses against flooding. Before environmentally ignorant Lagosians started plastering concrete everywhere, what woud have happened is that the land would have absorbed the floods into the soil.

Even worse the urbanization of that area has been largely haphazard - asides Lekki Phase 1 (which has now been bastardized), every other part of that area is unplanned - Ikate, Alpha beach, Osapa etc. Ideally, there should have been centralized infrastructure like storm-drains, and sewage-pipes - but nothing!!! Add this to the low-level of ground-water, and the implication here is that these people are literally drinking and bathing in their own shit - why else do you think every house in that axis has an expensive water filtration system?

Anyone who lives close to Alpha beach knows the ocean has been closing in every freaking year!!! And yet people are still rushing to put up expensive real-estate, and when things like this happen, everyone blames the government.

The government is VERY corrupt - YES!!! But Lagosians need to stop testing nature, cos as climate change exacerbates, these things would get much worse.

100/100

Brilliant and Detailed write up you have there. I must commend your insight.

But I disagree with your first sentence with regards to the fact that Humans have been encroaching on natures defences. Whats playing in Lagos plays in other major coastal cities of the world but this countries have planned channels to reduce the impact of heavy downpour and thats where Lagos got it all wrong. Urban planning!
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by olumalcolm(m): 11:15am On Jul 02, 2019
Mk shark no sha follow the flood. Abeg we get shark for this country
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by Abimbola198212: 11:21am On Jul 02, 2019
Wait Ambode is coming back again...
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by DeLaRue: 11:32am On Jul 02, 2019
Last year, I was in a group visiting a location behind Novare Lekki Mall (the last Shoprite on the Lekki-Epe Expressway). I had to excuse myself as we walked towards the ocean which was about 30 metres way. I just couldn't go any nearer the ocean.

I was shocked by how low-lying our location and the entire area up to Lekki-Epe Expressway was, in relation to the ocean. The ocean was literally above me, by at least 3 metres . This means the day this aggressive ocean surges, everything along its path up to and beyond Lekki Epe expressway could be under a huge body of water in no time. The threat is real and the result could be unprecedented in terms of loss of life.

Just thinking of the worst case scenario in the event of a deadly ocean surge in that area is horrifying. And nobody, not least the government, seem to have taken notice.
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by abbey621(m): 11:46am On Jul 02, 2019
DeLaRue:
Last year, I was in a group visiting a location behind Novare Lekki Mall (the last Shoprite on the Lekki-Epe Expressway). I had to excuse myself as we walked towards the ocean which was about 30 metres way. I just couldn't go any nearer the ocean.

I was shocked by how low-lying our location and the entire area up to Lekki-Epe Expressway was, in relation to the ocean. The ocean was literally above me, by at least 3 metres . This means the day this aggressive ocean surges, everything along its path up to and beyond Lekki Epe expressway could be under a huge body of water in no time. The threat is real and the result could be unprecedented in terms of loss of life.

Just thinking of the worst case scenario in the event of a deadly ocean surge in that area is horrifying. And nobody, not least the government, seem to have taken notice.

You must have really gone deep behind Novare, I mean really deep for you to see the actual ocean. Areas close to the Expressway or the mall are safe but you see those building along Atican beach and the coastal line, it's only a matter of time before mother nature does her thing.
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by DeLaRue: 11:51am On Jul 02, 2019
A potential solution is the extension of the ocean barrier being built at Eko Atlantic all the way to Ajah.

If you have seen some trucks carrying huge pieces of rock along Lagos-Ibadan expressway into Lagos, those rocks are destined for the Eko Atlantic ocean barrier. They've been building the barrier for several years now, and I believe they have only built 8km of it. It's a very expensive project. Can Lagos State afford to extend it all the way to Ajah? If no, then one can only predict that most of Ajah face a real risk of falling into the sea. It may take 50 years, but if the current pattern continues, there will be trouble.
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by Nobody: 11:55am On Jul 02, 2019
livebyday:

I did address it maybe not clearly enough for that I apologise.

Here is what i.mean

With the states directly controlling their resources they can address things like erosion, flooding and other infrastructural engineering needs obviously.

And with the states directly controlling their resources the governors can be held accountable.

Remember they have been saying that government didn't approve that part or the budget or they claim as usual that it's a federal road so they can't do anything. This excuse has been.used for decades by corrupt politicians.

Trust me when I say a decentralized government with resource control will actually force all.pokitcians seeking government office.to sit up

For example imagine a governor in yobe knows no federal allocation is coming , who must look within to create wealth, which would.imvolve , mining, agriculture and such if one isn't a sound.economical strategist one would see this task as daunting and trust me Nigeria would not have so many political.parties running during the elections anymore

Only state with natural resources would be hotly contested

But at the end resource control would give birth to a new generation of Nigerian leaders who are all.educated and think outside the box

The present system of government will not do this

Northern politicians generally don't want this because the areas with crude oil will pull far ahead of those without, economically.

Yet the biggest shame on them is the fact that even with the extant (equitable?) sharing regime, the average northern state is decades behind the south, in terms of economic and human resource development. They created hundreds of extra local governments to favour themselves and attract federal funds to their region yet they've simply pissed all that money away.
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by DeLaRue: 12:04pm On Jul 02, 2019
abbey621:

You must have really gone deep behind Novare, I mean really deep for you to see the actual ocean. Areas close to the Expressway or the mall are safe but you see those building along Atican beach and the coastal line, it's only a matter of time before mother nature does her thing.

Actually, depends on what you call deep. The ocean is probably less than 2000 metres (2km) from Novare. 2kms of low-lying flat land is no barrier for a raging ocean. Standing less than 30 metres from the ocean, I could see Monastery, a landmark in that axis. Monastery is probably not more than 500m from the shopping mall.

Thinking about it again, it seems the mall and the immediate area including the Lekki Epe expressway sit on a small elevation, which might offer some protection. However, everything up to Monastery is very vulnerable, I think.
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by alphaNomega: 12:15pm On Jul 02, 2019
Moments like these makes you wan to buy that proper SUV
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by abbey621(m): 12:44pm On Jul 02, 2019
DeLaRue:

Actually, depends on what you call deep. The ocean is probably less than 2000 metres (2km) from Novare. 2kms of low-lying flat land is no barrier for a raging ocean. Standing less than 30 metres from the ocean, I could see Monastery, a landmark in that axis. Monastery is probably not more than 500m from the shopping mall.

Thinking about it again, it seems the mall and the immediate area including the Lekki Epe expressway sit on a small elevation, which might offer some protection. However, everything up to Monastery is very vulnerable, I think.

The mall is more than 5km from the ocean, even monastary is more than 1km, I think the only people truly in danger are those on Atican and Okun Ajah.
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 02, 2019
Nbote:
Na now Islanders go hear am... D rainy season is here again... I wonder what those areas behind Abraham Adesanya would b like in dis season

Places like sango etc are complete rivers
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by emmychina: 2:47pm On Jul 02, 2019
]Too bad

Did the fish sculpture at that junction swim?
X
I saw d fish swimming down to ogombo town.
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by armadeo(m): 5:10pm On Jul 02, 2019
livebyday:
States should be allowed to control their resource
This is my thinking
The present method doesn't seem to be working

Most governors have great intentions but it just seems maybe things are strangled at the center government

One state governor used billions to bury dead people with funds from the central government.

They are all the same smash and grab criminals. It will only enrich the state government and not the federal.

Do you think the federal government isnt aware of all the embezzlements going on? Think again.
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by armadeo(m): 5:12pm On Jul 02, 2019
livebyday:

Here's my thinking

If a state controls it's resources , then it knows best where to allocate it , there won't be this thing of getting federal approvals to fell structures that block certain path ways for water

One can build state run power plants , redesign entire local governments and push for better security structure within the state

Now each state would be forced to focus on building infrastructure that addresses their needs

For instance why would the governor of Niger state build a diamond conservatory when there are not diamonds in niger state ?

The federal uses funds as it pleases ? Another example is this ruga thing, it's not bad in a sane country but why build it outside regions where cattle rearing isn't their staple

A decentralized government would remove the inconsistency in the country

If my state enforces Sharia law that means I can't have alcohol companies there in hence they won't pay me taxes

As it stands Nigeria uses funds raised in certain states to fund other states whose governor do nothing

Look at Bornu, that state has been comatose and the governor receives federal allocation monthly for doing nothing

Half his citizens are in IDP camps , he doesn't bother as he believes it's the federals job to stop bokoharam

A decentralized government would make the politicians sit up

Hence each state will use only what they can.genrrate within and receive a token from the little repatriated to the central purse monthly by the states
Just my two cents

Om the long term this makes sense but the governors are all crooks so it wont still change anything
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by AngelicBeing: 5:56pm On Jul 02, 2019
anonimi:

Since longest time ago and SanwoOlu continues the stealing by proxy for the grandmaster of looting.

Hahaha, leave Tinubu jare, he is the Emperor extraordinaire of lagos Kingdom, and he will continue to eat amala, bokoto, shaki, fried chicken and turkey plus Hennessey forever, Ambode refused to give Nkwobi and Hennessey to Tinubu, and Tinubu used koboko laden with chilly pepper to flog Ambode out of power, Sanwolu will loot but he will settle Tinubu with a minimum.of 10 billion naira monthly, and Tinubu will give me my cut of 1 billion naira monthly, know your way no be curse jare grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by makavele: 6:39pm On Jul 02, 2019
DeLaRue:

500m lol
See how you are confidently spewing rubbish . .
The mall to the monastery is about 3km,
Re: Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) by christinme224(m): 8:40pm On Jul 02, 2019
I am a living witness.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane / Two Trains Collide In Agege, Lagos / Driver Runs Away As Container Falls And Break Man's Leg On Lagos Road. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.