Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,892 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? (36593 Views)

Your Experience As A Rich Or Only Rich Relative.. / I Saw A Dead Family Friend Two Years Later / What's The Biggest Gift Your Abroad Relative Has Ever Given To You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jul 03, 2019
starbuck:
NEVER should you let the bank know that your brother is dead else the money go follow your brother too to the spirit world...

If he has an ATM, try as much as you can to find out the pin and make your withdrawals...

Thank God my mom told me hers on her death bed because she too sabi bankers.. Ndị ohi and ndị uchu
hmm, that's payday,
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by sparog(m): 10:30pm On Jul 03, 2019
Organs:

Must you comment if you dont know? Now you allowed me waste my time to reply read and your comment, don't try that nonsense with me next time else i go come your house come COZA and DAKOLO you join!

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by vital94(m): 10:32pm On Jul 03, 2019
Go to court and obtain letter of administration
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:
First go to a probate registry in any high court, request for a letter of inquiry to mandate the bank to give the deceased account balance. This can be given to one or more family members of the deceased on presentation of relevant documents.

After getting the account balance, the probate registry would issue you a letter of administration.

You bring that letter to the bank and proceed to open an estate account linked to the deceased, you or any other family member would be signatories of the account. All you need to open such an account is 5k for a probate registry search.

The funds from the deceased account would be transferred to the estate account and you/family can do whatever you want with the funds.

The bank where I work you can get all the funds within 2 weeks at most.

PS: Funny how people are talking about next of kin and all, it doesnt matter here when it comes to this, the bank doesnt give a damn who you wrote on your account details as your next of kin, all they respect is the letter of administration brought from a probate registry by any family member. Next of kin on paper is just for formalities.

while most of what you say is right. I dont know any court that will issue a letter of administration in 2 weeks. Part of the process of issuing a letter of administration is a publication in the notice section of a national newspaper. The purpose of this is to inform the public that someone has applied as administrator of Lagbaja's estate. it is a legal requirement incase there are legitimate beneficiaries etc giving them notice to come forward. I beleive it is only if there is no contest in a certain period that the letter is issued. I dont know how this can happen in 2 weeks. Every state is different but I know it took almost 3 months just to make an amendment (additional assets) to an existing letter of administration.

You are absolutely correct on others especially the next of kin. All this nonsense people are writing about next of kin is absolute nonsense. Next of kin has no legal status and no right to the bank account, even if she is the wife...until she produces a LA. Any banker who tells you otherwise is trying to swerve you because as a banker they know it is not possible.

I dont think you need to know the bank balance to get a letter of administration, so long as you know which bank and branch the account is held. It might help you to know only because if it isnt much, then it may not be worth your effort and if you do dont declare the full sum because you will pay the govt a percentage of it. I may be wrong but in our case we only declared for one branch and used the same LA to access the accounts in 2 other branches (same bank).

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by King44(m): 10:52pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:
First go to a probate registry in any high court, request for a letter of inquiry to mandate the bank to give the deceased account balance. This can be given to one or more family members of the deceased on presentation of relevant documents.

After getting the account balance, the probate registry would issue you a letter of administration.

You bring that letter to the bank and proceed to open an estate account linked to the deceased, you or any other family member would be signatories of the account. All you need to open such an account is 5k for a probate registry search.

The funds from the deceased account would be transferred to the estate account and you/family can do whatever you want with the funds.

PS: Funny how people are talking about next of kin and all, it doesnt matter here when it comes to this, the bank doesnt give a damn who you wrote on your account details as your next of kin, all they respect is the letter of administration brought from a probate registry by any family member. Next of kin on paper is just for formalities.
helpful
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 03, 2019
BlueAir:
hes a douche already

I didn't bother to claim any property of my late mom anyway. The relatives shared it before i arrived Nigeria grin
u don't mean it, that's wickedness,at least she is ur mother, u have a say on her property.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by sylve11: 10:59pm On Jul 03, 2019
Beremx:
If you are not the next of kin then you can't do anything. The only thing you can do is to find out who the next of kin is then he or she should follow up.

Some men sha!! Why won't your wife know your pin? At least she would have been making withdrawals till money finish for account

Smh

sometimes, it is better you just keep quiet. grin cool
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by BlueAir: 11:06pm On Jul 03, 2019
dancok:
u don't mean it, that's wickedness,at least she is ur mother, u have a say on her property.
I understand but with the eternal grief. I have no use or interest for those things. ..I give it to them smiley
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jul 03, 2019
My final advice (if you are genuine and the wife as you say is really not savy and it's not that you are trying to commandeer your late brother's estate) is to make sure the wife is also an administrator in the letter of administration, she can then grant you power of attorney to act on her behalf. That way there is a paper trail that she is party to everything, even though you are the one doing the work.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by nathpope(m): 11:35pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:

Gbayi
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by OfficialSam(m): 12:08am On Jul 04, 2019
starbuck:
NEVER should you let the bank know that your brother is dead else the money go follow your brother too to the spirit world...

If he has an ATM, try as much as you can to find out the pin and make your withdrawals...

Thank God my mom told me hers on her death bed because she too sabi bankers.. Ndị ohi and ndị uchu

Do not mislead people please. No bank or staff can temper with a deceased funds. At least, that's what banks statements are meant for. It will certainly indicate date, time and branch of any transaction.

OP do not try anything silly if you don't have your late brother's ATM card and his pin. You may end up being prosecuted for financial fraud. Go to a court within the jurisdiction your brother passed on. Proceed to their probate and apply for a LETTER OF ADMINISTRATION. They will give you a letter to the bank so you can access the balance.

Finally, you and his wife can apply to become the administrators of his estate. When the legal paper is ready, the court shall take five to ten percent of brother's account balance.

Be guided and let no novice mislead you, else you will get your fingers burnt while trying to play smart.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Respect55(m): 12:18am On Jul 04, 2019
Activate offline mobile banking transfer Use the last 6 digits of his atm and the line he used for alerts.

Second option, use the atm to fund a bet9ja account and input the 6 digits otp pin that will be sent to his alert line. Deb withdraw the money afterwards.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by OfficialSam(m): 12:31am On Jul 04, 2019
rufdan:
1, Death certificate
2, two next of kin
3, the account details
4,go to the bank , from there they will tell you , go court(high court)
5,the next of kin must have passport photographe
6,in the court, they will direct you where to get the necessary forms to fill.
7,after that procedure, the court will give you some document to the bank.
8,the bank will pay the money to the court.
9,the court will take 10 percent out of the total money.
Have a nice day.

Well scripted. Your head get oil grin
You never still tell am say him fit wait for more than one year, the letter never ready sef. grin

Op you better keep extra cash for lobbying o. Probate staff are so corrupt.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by davillian(m): 1:09am On Jul 04, 2019
xynerise:

Dude, I am doing this for the wife's sake. Don't be a douche
Oga Ade,
She should go get a letter of administration
If the husband did not write a will.
It's a long process but that's the only way
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Stan232: 1:41am On Jul 04, 2019
Chinese aza are available. Rate at 25%.whatsapp me on08168152166
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Funjosh(m): 4:03am On Jul 04, 2019
Hmmmmmmm..
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by cococandy(f): 4:04am On Jul 04, 2019
Sorry for your loss @xynerise

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Unrated900(m): 6:28am On Jul 04, 2019
Now you want to take over his money now

What was your impact in his life when he was alive

Now he is dead you want to start pursuing that money,you won’t get the money.
Family is the worst enemy in life

They can do anything to bring you down and enjoy your wealth

Say no to polygamous home

#my kids and wife are my next of Kin#
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Unrated900(m): 6:30am On Jul 04, 2019
[quote author=xynerise post=79909608]Please guy, before I start chasing shadows trying to recover the money in my late brother's bank account, I would like to know the steps to take. Until his death, he lived in the northern part of Nigeria where the bank is also located.

1. Do I have to travel to his bank location to make necessary procedures or I can do that elsewhere where the bank has a branch?

2. What are the procedures?

Thank you for your assistance

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Holamic: 6:51am On Jul 04, 2019
nlanded:

Thanks.... Very educative
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by sneak3(m): 7:35am On Jul 04, 2019
xynerise:
Please guy, before I start chasing shadows trying to recover the money in my late brother's bank account, I would like to know the steps to take. Until his death, he lived in the northern part of Nigeria where the bank is also located.

1. Do I have to travel to his bank location to make necessary procedures or I can do that elsewhere where the bank has a branch?

2. What are the procedures?

Thank you for your assistance

The family should do letter of administration, it's clearly state who the next of kin is and submit same to any of the bank's branch nearest to you. Usually the balance in the deceased account will be transferred to the next of kin if he already has an account or will be made to open an account.. note that the transfer to next of kin account will only be made after the bank has done independent verification of the letter of administration from Court and acknowledged by the bank's legal department.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by xynerise: 8:08am On Jul 04, 2019
Unrated900:

Stop smoking weed
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Johnseli(m): 8:21am On Jul 04, 2019
nlanded:

What if one does not know the account details of the deceased?
What are the likely procedures to be taken?
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by salt1: 8:30am On Jul 04, 2019
roman1755:
When my elder brother died, we couldn't get the atm pin after serious search. I have to come up with the idea of downloading the bank mobile on his phone, I logged into the app and registered with the atm card. I clicked for transfer and an one time password (otp) was sent to his mobile number. I continously used the otp as they were been sent to transfer 680k out of the account. The remaining 200 naira I used it to recharge my line. I was lucky the app registration didn't require physical visit to the bank. I purposely didn't want to mention the bank involved

Nigerians are sharp

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by yemolee2001(m): 9:44am On Jul 04, 2019
I am looking for how to withdraw my father's money from his account too after his death. Although we know his password but unfortunately his ATM expired few days to his death. The money is not up to 500k and he did not legally married to his wives but I am his next of kin. The bank is first bank.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Aminushehu996: 9:57am On Jul 04, 2019
crackhouse:
yahoo boy spotted.
Just because I decided to help,I'm a Yahoo boy grin
crackhouse:
yahoo boy spotted.
Just because I decided to help,I'm a Yahoo boy
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Mummymahdi(f): 9:59am On Jul 04, 2019
xynerise:

The wife was saying she doesn't have access to his assets neither the pin to his credit card. She is a bit naive in things like this so I want to get involved too.

In this case u need to help her, my sisters husband that is a Dr. Died leaving her with 4kids no body know any of his laptop pin or credit cards, he only has sisters. Even to access his phone no body eras able to , he was trading bitcoin, he once told her it could run inyi millions when sold but no one could access it. Now come see suffering, we charge ourselves some amount to pay the kids school fees while she work hard and feed from her salary

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by stevestifler(m): 12:30pm On Jul 04, 2019
when i did mine, it took a whole year.. probate can really be annoying and full of delay. then you have to be the person stated in the will before it will be released to you, and you also have to forfeit 10 percent of it to the government.
nlanded:

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by stevestifler(m): 12:32pm On Jul 04, 2019
God bless you for saying the truth...

isthatso:

while most of what you say is right. I dont know any court that will issue a letter of administration in 2 weeks. Part of the process of issuing a letter of administration is a publication in the notice section of a national newspaper. The purpose of this is to inform the public that someone has applied as administrator of Lagbaja's estate. it is a legal requirement incase there are legitimate beneficiaries etc giving them notice to come forward. I beleive it is only if there is no contest in a certain period that the letter is issued. I dont know how this can happen in 2 weeks. Every state is different but I know it took almost 3 months just to make an amendment (additional assets) to an existing letter of administration.

You are absolutely correct on others especially the next of kin. All this nonsense people are writing about next of kin is absolute nonsense. Next of kin has no legal status and no right to the bank account, even if she is the wife...until she produces a LA. Any banker who tells you otherwise is trying to swerve you because as a banker they know it is not possible.

I dont think you need to know the bank balance to get a letter of administration, so long as you know which bank and branch the account is held. It might help you to know only because if it isnt much, then it may not be worth your effort and if you do dont declare the full sum because you will pay the govt a percentage of it. I may be wrong but in our case we only declared for one branch and used the same LA to access the accounts in 2 other branches (same bank).
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by TrendyNwendy: 5:44pm On Jul 04, 2019
starbuck:

Seconded!. You can even slot his SIM card in a phone, use the banks ussd codes to check the balance and make transfers

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by rhemadhee(m): 6:23pm On Jul 04, 2019
This might help, I experienced that when my mum passed on. If the deceased has a will, the executor(s) on the will (someone whose name is on the will) can approach the bank for the money. They will pay them.

If there is no will, the deceased died intestate(without will. Letter of administration is very important (LOA). Go to the high court or use a lawyer, lawyer will charge you more based on the balance in the accounts. But if you go yourself, You will spend money but lesser. It takes six month to process LOA. Good luck
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by tinaisnowonline: 10:35am On Jul 05, 2019
Who is the next of kin on the account? if it is the wife then you need to take her to a lawyer to get a probate letter. go to the bank and find out the amount in the account and who is the next of kin. you will present a death notification to the bank as well. the lawyer will charge you a fee. do it the right way

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Missing Housewife Found In A Hotel As A Prostitute / Sisters Weep At The Grave Of Their Brother Who Was Buried On His Birthday. PICS / These Photos Of A Young Mother And Her Child Has Got People Talking

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.