Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,849 members, 7,817,513 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? (36708 Views)

Your Experience As A Rich Or Only Rich Relative.. / I Saw A Dead Family Friend Two Years Later / What's The Biggest Gift Your Abroad Relative Has Ever Given To You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by osahon01(m): 7:29pm On Jul 03, 2019
vincent10:
Get an LA(Letter of Administration), take it to the bank and open an estate account
including death certificate
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by softy(m): 7:33pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:
First go to a probate registry in any high court, request for a letter of inquiry to mandate the bank to give the deceased account balance. This can be given to one or more family members of the deceased on presentation of relevant documents.

After getting the account balance, the probate registry would issue you a letter of administration.

You bring that letter to the bank and proceed to open an estate account linked to the deceased, you or any other family member would be signatories of the account. All you need to open such an account is 5k for a probate registry search.

The funds from the deceased account would be transferred to the estate account and you/family can do whatever you want with the funds.

The bank where I work you can get all the funds within 2 weeks at most.

PS: Funny how people are talking about next of kin and all, it doesnt matter here when it comes to this, the bank doesnt give a damn who you wrote on your account details as your next of kin, all they respect is the letter of administration brought from a probate registry by any family member. Next of kin on paper is just for formalities.

When the bank as you rightly revealed in ur last addendum know that it is a futile exercise at the long run when one fills in 'next of kin', why the compulsion and unnecessary brouhaha about it everytime one engages such document?.

IMO, it doesn't make sense
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Clean2016: 7:36pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:
First go to a probate registry in any high court, request for a letter of inquiry to mandate the bank to give the deceased account balance. This can be given to one or more family members of the deceased on presentation of relevant documents.

After getting the account balance, the probate registry would issue you a letter of administration.

You bring that letter to the bank and proceed to open an estate account linked to the deceased, you or any other family member would be signatories of the account. All you need to open such an account is 5k for a probate registry search.

The funds from the deceased account would be transferred to the estate account and you/family can do whatever you want with the funds.

PS: Funny how people are talking about next of kin and all, it doesnt matter here when it comes to this, the bank doesnt give a damn who you wrote on your account details as your next of kin, all they respect is the letter of administration brought from a probate registry by any family member. Next of kin on paper is just for formalities.

This is the right thing. Thank you
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by AmazingELixir: 7:43pm On Jul 03, 2019
glink2015:

Must you commercialize every assistance... Why can't you guide him free of charge?

grin grin

Why do you think they are called charge and bail lawyers
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by femarse: 7:52pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:

you are absolutely correct save for one detail
the court will charge you 30% of whatever is in that bank balance
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by CaptainFM1: 7:54pm On Jul 03, 2019
How do we know he wants you to withdraw money from his account even now that he's not alive Do you have any proof to that?
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by madgoat(m): 7:57pm On Jul 03, 2019
Beremx:
If you are not the next of kin then you can't do anything. The only thing you can do is to find out who the next of kin is then he or she should follow up.

Some men sha!! Why won't your wife know your pin? At least she would have been making withdrawals till money finish for account

Smh
Keep quiet.. Why should the wife know the pin? Not even my shadow can know my pin. I rather die with my money intact.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Beremx(f): 8:01pm On Jul 03, 2019
madgoat:

Keep quiet.. Why should the wife know the pin? Not even my shadow can know my pin. I rather die with my money intact.
you are really a mad goat. I understand your sentiments. grin grin

7 Likes

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Duru009(m): 8:04pm On Jul 03, 2019
Beremx:
you are really a mad[b][/b][b][/b] goat. I understand your sentiments. grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by PotatoSalad(m): 8:05pm On Jul 03, 2019
starbuck:
NEVER should you let the bank know that your brother is dead else the money go follow your brother too to the spirit world...

If he has an ATM, try as much as you can to find out the pin and make your withdrawals...

Thank God my mom told me hers on her death bed because she too sabi bankers.. Ndị ohi and ndị uchu
Creepy
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by okoroemeka(m): 8:09pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:

this is the accurate procedure to follow,but be ready the letter of administration will not be ready in less than 6 months,you will also be required to paste the information on your LGA gazzette for 1 month and you will pay 10% of the money in the deceased account,go with death certificate and other relevant documents,I don't know if it still delayes like when I did my late mum's ,it took close to 6-7 months before it finally came out.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by owila4luv(m): 8:19pm On Jul 03, 2019
are you the next of kin if yes go to any of the bank branches and they will tell the needful
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by newtral01(f): 8:22pm On Jul 03, 2019
I wish its dat simple d way u explain it.. GTbank since 2017 av not transfer d money to the estate account. Na court go settle our matter.

quote author=nlanded post=79910790]First go to a probate registry in any high court, request for a letter of inquiry to mandate the bank to give the deceased account balance. This can be given to one or more family members of the deceased on presentation of relevant documents.

PS: Funny how people are talking about next of kin and all, it doesnt matter here when it comes to this, the bank doesnt give a damn who you wrote on your account details as your next of kin, all they respect is the letter of administration brought from a probate registry by any family member. Next of kin on paper is just for formalities.[/quote]
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Drumigba(m): 8:29pm On Jul 03, 2019
Are you his next of kin? The next of kin will have to go to the bank and will require the death certificate to show the account owner is actually late. You will have to go to federal high court, probate department and they will tell you the documentations required. It actually depend on the states as the state will take a certain percentage of the said money.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by credon: 8:32pm On Jul 03, 2019
xynerise:
Please guy, before I start chasing shadows trying to recover the money in my late brother's bank account, I would like to know the steps to take. Until his death, he lived in the northern part of Nigeria where the bank is also located.

1. Do I have to travel to his bank location to make necessary procedures or I can do that elsewhere where the bank has a branch?

2. What are the procedures?

Thank you for your assistance

The next of kin
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by jidxin(m): 8:33pm On Jul 03, 2019
sassysure:

If your parents are alive, it's better to pursue the case on their behalf as that's more legitimate and sure.

If he is married, the wife or children.

Any branch of the bank can do. If they can't handle it, they will tell you were to go to.
There is a department that handles such. They will tell you what to do. Each bank may have diff procedure. It usually take time

It will be outright illegal and criminal. Your parent cannot... Now d next of kin will be entitled and its by applying for letters of administration at the high court
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by jidxin(m): 8:34pm On Jul 03, 2019
newtral01:
I wish its dat simple d way u explain it.. GTbank since 2017 av not transfer d money to the estate account. Na court go settle our matter.

quote author=nlanded post=79910790]First go to a probate registry in any high court, request for a letter of inquiry to mandate the bank to give the deceased account balance. This can be given to one or more family members of the deceased on presentation of relevant documents.

well said I was about to say same

But the court will not give LOA to just d family members without considering the wife nd children first

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 03, 2019
jidxin:

It will be outright illegal and criminal. Your parent cannot... Now d next of kin will be entitled and its by applying for letters of administration at the high court

Parents are legal if there is no wife or child.
Simple. The way children are legal if the parents are deceased.
In this case, he will act with the parents consent.
If there were next of kin, I don't think he will be here.

Seems u are a lawyer. Lawyers sef cheesy grin
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by unrose14(f): 8:50pm On Jul 03, 2019
[quote author=xynerise post=79909608]Please guy, before I start chasing shadows trying to recover the money in my late brother's bank account, I would like to know the steps to take. Until his death, he lived in the northern part of Nigeria where the bank is also located.

1. Do I have to travel to his bank location to make necessary procedures or I can do that elsewhere where the bank has a branch?

2. What are the procedures?

Thank you for your assistance

It's not that difficult you wants to. First, if you are not the his next of kin, you will need to get an affidavit standing as his next of kin, its between 100-500 NGN depending on your location.

Then, proceed to the Probate Registry/Section of a Federal High Court and request for a Letter of Administration, it's should be around 10,000NGN or so.
This amount covers newspaper publication.
Once it's ready, they will call you to go pick the LOA and the copy of the newspaper.

Then, you take it to the bank, they will open and estate account for you, where they will transfer the balance in your late brother's account.

NB. This is something you can do yourself, if you involved a lawyer, they will just make money from you.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by unrose14(f): 8:54pm On Jul 03, 2019
okoroemeka:
this is the accurate procedure to follow,but be ready the letter of administration will not be ready in less than 6 months,you will also be required to paste the information on your LGA gazzette for 1 month and you will pay 10% of the money in the deceased account,go with death certificate and other relevant documents,I don't know if it still delayes like when I did my late mum's ,it took close to 6-7 months before it finally came out.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by gafaardy(m): 8:55pm On Jul 03, 2019
1.You don`t need to go to his state of residence
2.You need to get a lawyer who will guide you appropriately base on the applicable law of your state of choice.For instance if it is Oyo State it depends on the account balance if it is less than #500,000 your lawyer will file small estate application at the magistrate court and once the order is served on the bank and it verified its veracity the bank will pay to you if it is more than
#500,000 you will have to apply for a letter of administration through from the probate registry
You can contact me for further guidance

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by uniquesilverzy92: 9:00pm On Jul 03, 2019
You have to get a court order dear depending on the amount we are talking about.
Contact me on uniquen66@gmail.com.
But the application has to be made by the wife
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by barristerbiodun(m): 9:19pm On Jul 03, 2019
One of the first things you need to confirm is if your brother died testate (with a Will). You can make enquiries if you know if he one before he died. And i'm sure if he did, the lawyer will have written to all stakeholders by now depending on the time specified for the Will to be read.

On the other hand, if he died intestate (without a will), the only other way you or any other member of his family can lawfully administer his property for the benefit of beneficiaries is by obtaining Letter of Administration. Letter of Administration will usually be issued to family members of close blood affinity viz-a-viz spouse, brothers, sisters, parents, children, uncles, nieces, nephews, etc.

All you need is a minimum of 2 persons to stand as administrators. For fairness and equity, include the wife in the proposed administrators and have a lawyer apply to the probate registry within the jurisdiction in which he died. Most important, get a lawyer to further advise you properly and assist you professionally to guide you through the procedure.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Simpubozz(m): 9:24pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:

What are the likely documents that would be required to Process the letter at the Probate Registery??
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by EngrMilly(m): 9:28pm On Jul 03, 2019
You'll definitely have to do a lot of running around by yourself , if you want the probate letter within 3-6 months.
Trust me most lawyers will want to rip you off, don't go down this path.You can always get reliable information which the lawyers will provide about the process from the help desk in every probate office or get a staff that handles files in the probate office( best shot) to carry you along each stage.
I started the process for getting a probate letter for my late dad few weeks back, and I have passed the Publication stage already. The first week was really stressful though because, I was either at the probate office or the bank.
NB: You'll spend time and money.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Sensenan: 9:34pm On Jul 03, 2019
There's no much grammar on this. Just go to the probate section of state high court where the account is domiciled and the will guide you. With there advice and guidance you may not need a lawyer to get the letter of administration.
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by EngrMilly(m): 9:38pm On Jul 03, 2019
Get these to start the process
1. Death certificate of the deceased from National Population commission ( not from any hospital )
2. National ID or Voter's card or both Administrators
3. Passports of the deceased and administrators
4. Age declaration of the deceased or birth certificate
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by enemyofprogress: 9:51pm On Jul 03, 2019
BlacSmit:
Leave the money for his wife and children (if any) Its not yours!
so he can't assist them to recover the money or you think everyone is like you?
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by emmanuelpopson(m): 9:52pm On Jul 03, 2019
nlanded:

that all..gaskia... there is nothing to add or detract.. follow this comment and you will have the money but its take some months. like 3-5 months before the LoA would be Ready..
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by yetunsbay(m): 9:56pm On Jul 03, 2019
onyxo76:
You will need a lawyer to help you apply for a letter of administration from the court to take to the bank, the funds will now be moved into an estate account which can now be accessed by a would be signatory but its a process that can take a while, you will also pay 10 percent of the total amount in the accounts to the state treasury before the letter of administration is released to you
lol...forget lawyer joor
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by yetunsbay(m): 9:56pm On Jul 03, 2019
emmanuelpopson:

that all..gaskia... there is nothing to add or detract.. follow this comment and you will have the money but its take some months. like 3-5 months before the LoA would be Ready..
if he can spend within a month LOA is out
Re: How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? by Alejobs: 10:00pm On Jul 03, 2019
If you go in a hurry, coming back may be slow and painful

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

"7 Truths About Marriage You Will Not Be Told" / If You Were Their Mom, What Would Be Your Decision On This Issue? / Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.