Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You (19787 Views)

All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria / 7 Things You Cannot Predict When Driving In Lagos / BRT Driver Faints While Driving In Oshodi, Lagos (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by AutoReportNG: 11:54am On Jul 04, 2019
Lagos, the center of aquatic splendor is full of its bubbles, opportunities, and vibes, it's a city its residents refer to as a city that never sleeps. Lagos, being a developing megacity has its ups and downs and one of its down moment is the traffic. A popular comedian says Lagosians sleep and lives in traffic, we only visit our homes to change clothes.

For someone who is new in Lagos and new in Nigeria, may find driving in Lagos to be very weird especially seeing tankers, trailers, okadas and danfos on Lagos roads. In Lagos, we idolize these folks, without them, we all will be trekking in fact within 2 weeks, the children of Israelites will look fresher than us.

A Yankee based Nigerian was in Lagos some years back and this time, he decided to drive himself across the city of Lagos but he was amazed that all the driving skills that he learned abroad are not applicable to Lagos. According to him, he said " I consider myself a decent and polite driver; however, when I got behind the wheels in Lagos, I felt my driving style completely mutate into something I couldn’t recognize… but I knew I needed it to survive. Here are some tips I picked up as a driver and passenger."

* The lines demarcating the lanes are recommendations; at best suggestions. Actually, they are opinions. It’s acceptable to ignore them. Just ignore them. If you see an opening, go for it, that’s your lane. In Lagos, you can create your own lane.

* The roads are so bad in many areas that the sight of good roads could make you want to accelerate. Go ahead and accelerate. Enjoy it while it last.

* Traffic lights are also suggestions. Red means go. Green means go. Yellow means go. Basically, just go. It’s always a pleasant surprise when a driver adheres to the traffic light.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-LrfkfXZqb4A/XR3UkJ6fobI/AAAAAAAAdTg/NhxesFh1l3AxZ0JJE58u0VaY8Ji2DWc1wCLcBGAs/s1600/CMS.jpeg[/img]

* Try not to make awkwardly long eye contact with any of the street vendors unless your intention is to purchase something. By the way, you can buy just about anything from those vendors…even a new car!

* Signaling with your hand is more effective than using your signal light.

* The majority of traffic jams are caused by drivers slowing down to avoid multiple potholes on busy roads. #fixthebadroads

* Everyone is always in a hurry and impatient because their time is apparently more important than yours. Deal with it.

* When you cut someone off just stare them down as you do it. They will respect your audacity. And it will also make you feel like the “OGA ON TOP” of the road.

* It’s safe to assume other drivers do not have insurance. In the words of one of the taxi drivers that gave me a lift: “Wetin be insurance?”

[img]https://1.bp..com/-qpqB8at2148/XR3U6tc1-II/AAAAAAAAdTo/uLlPcDkZACQUQUgq1XAg2t_JqemdO5WrgCLcBGAs/s1600/Lagos-Taxi.jpg[/img]

* Be advised that the yellow taxi buses can stop anytime and anywhere so don’t follow too closely unless you have brand new brake pads and comprehensive auto insurance.

* Expect pedestrians to cross the busy highways and freeways. Watch out for them.

* It doesn’t matter where you are going just know that there will be traffic.

* If you’re involved in a fender bender with a yellow bus taxi driver he would more than likely beg you to forgive him by lying flat on the ground. Forgive him and move on, it’s not worth the argument back and forth.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-WqkxNPhzMNk/XR3Q2C5SU8I/AAAAAAAAdTI/aVZC1ELX-RIA6pc6kzg79X2Z6Agp5c4iwCLcBGAs/s1600/Danfo%2B2.jpg[/img]

* Keep one hand on the steering wheel and the other hand next to the horn.

* Honking your horn is part of the driving culture in Lagos. It’s just a convenient way to let other drivers know that you do not trust their decision-making skills.

* The only person to trust on the road is you. Remind other drivers and pedestrians you don’t trust them by honking your horn loud and proud.

* Expect to get into screaming battles with pedestrians trying to cross the busy roads. Be careful because they may put juju on you.

* If you have any paraphernalia related to the Nigerian Police, Army, Air Force, or Military, then make sure it is displayed visibly for others to see. It will help you bypass those random police checkpoints.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-DftibVaMs9M/XR3TKDMECpI/AAAAAAAAdTY/VYuUyMR6CtohiQj4alEHTS4qSyc96IXOQCLcBGAs/s1600/Car-Sticker-Insigna-14.jpg[/img]

* There is nothing random about a random check by the police. The police officers are skilled at sizing you up as you pull up. If you do get pulled over, make sure you have some loose cash (you know why) or a lot of time to spend arguing back and forth with them about random things like showing your permit for tinted windows.

* Non-injury accidents are taken care of at the scene of the accident. In essence, there is no veering off the road. Both drivers would more than likely step out of their vehicles and engage in a screaming match in the middle of traffic.

* Okada drivers always feel they have the right of way even when it’s obvious they don’t.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-52UoUbaVPCo/XR3RZZ6MQrI/AAAAAAAAdTQ/Eqz7J0Iur_wFQLKDSa6PxVgVfsF-mbpRwCLcBGAs/s1600/Okada-on-duty-in-Lagos.jpg[/img]

* Always lock your doors and wind up your windows as you drive, especially when stuck in stop-and-go traffic at night.

* One-ways are more like two or three ways. If the road can fit three cars why restrict it to just one car when three cars can go multiple directions? The unapologetic perpetrators are the Okada and Keke drivers.

* Okadas are like water. They find voids in traffic, unassigned lanes, sidewalks, and just flow through. Watch out for them.

* Many drivers liter. Watch out for trash flying out of vehicles in front of you.

Lastly, avoid anything called trailers, tankers with every bit of skill in you! These guys are called the king of the road, they can bash your car, SUV and heaven won't fall. Want to have a smooth ride? The fear of tankers and trailers is definitely the beginning of wisdom.

Credit:
Ozisco

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/07/first-time-driving-in-lagos-these-25.html

75 Likes 8 Shares

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by AutoReportNG: 11:55am On Jul 04, 2019
Lagos, a place where some protocols don't exist!

Read more here

https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/07/first-time-driving-in-lagos-these-25.html

2 Likes

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by IdreamOfUnicorn(f): 11:57am On Jul 04, 2019
1.Be ready to shout your lungs out

5 Likes

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by Bizmagneto: 12:02pm On Jul 04, 2019
An average driver in Lagos no get respect, both old and young.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by passyhansome(m): 1:49pm On Jul 04, 2019
OKAT
Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by seunfly: 1:49pm On Jul 04, 2019
Ok
Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by etugba(m): 1:50pm On Jul 04, 2019
Bizmagneto:
An average driver in Lagos no get respect, both old and young.

I'm sure you're one

1 Like

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by blackslayer: 1:52pm On Jul 04, 2019
lawless society....chaos everywhere

5 Likes

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by Lovelyn451(f): 1:53pm On Jul 04, 2019
what if they don't beg you? Funny rules
Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by Lexusgs430: 1:54pm On Jul 04, 2019
Extra pocket money permanently kept in glove box............

5 Likes

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by Baroba(m): 1:54pm On Jul 04, 2019
We move the car in Naija, we don't drive it, and we wonder why people get killed daily on Nigerian death traps called roads..

4 Likes

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by JARUSHUB: 1:56pm On Jul 04, 2019
Funny.
Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by jidxin(m): 1:56pm On Jul 04, 2019
i piry u..... wit the state of things now, break the rules and face the draconish punishment.......making eye wit the street vendors really caught, are dey using jazz ni, look dem small like dz they are all ready running towards u

3 Likes

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by calculator123(m): 1:59pm On Jul 04, 2019
Lagos isn't a place where sane driving is condoned. You have to be semi-mad to survive on Lagos roads.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by deepwater(f): 2:02pm On Jul 04, 2019
lol

1 Like

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by Kurtis02(m): 2:05pm On Jul 04, 2019
Lol...

If you can drive in Lagos other states wouldn't bother you.

3 Likes

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by legendarygent: 2:10pm On Jul 04, 2019
Nice article. You said it as it really is.

5 Likes

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by computerglobal(m): 2:12pm On Jul 04, 2019
cool
Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by officialfysh(m): 2:13pm On Jul 04, 2019
There are so much rules now; I was held some days back by Lastma fo pressing Horn indecently while on traffic around Yaba... so be aware too

2 Likes

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by Hoodbilonia: 2:21pm On Jul 04, 2019
Well my 1st time cruising at lag was wen i was going to ladipo wit my niggis
We missed a bridge,thr and then at owode onirin bridge sars obtained me 10k
Aft wasting abt 1hr of my time
Well i still lit up my s.k after the 10k bribe
Bleep yall

1 Like

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by noble71(m): 2:21pm On Jul 04, 2019
26. Be ready to drive with one hand while the other will be ready to give 'Waka'

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by Gwandana: 2:33pm On Jul 04, 2019
Lwkmd no lies
Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by lasmile(f): 2:34pm On Jul 04, 2019
Nice piece
Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by Sinach0191(m): 2:40pm On Jul 04, 2019
If u can drive in Lagos u can drive anywhere in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by AreaFada2: 2:58pm On Jul 04, 2019
Lol.
Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by mrstheo(f): 3:27pm On Jul 04, 2019
Lovely write up, it's really on point.

1 Like

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by Lovelife433(m): 3:29pm On Jul 04, 2019
rubish, u need a paying job
Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by JuanDeDios: 3:49pm On Jul 04, 2019
AutoReportNG:

* Traffic lights are also suggestions. Red means go. Green means go. Yellow means go. Basically, just go. It’s always a pleasant surprise when a driver adheres to the traffic light.
Lol.
This is a gross exaggeration. Most Lagos drivers obey red light in most places.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by cosef: 3:50pm On Jul 04, 2019
Very annoying city with borderline senile people, thank God I moved out for the sake of my sanity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Time Driving In Lagos? These 25 Lagos Driving Rules Will Help You by Gboom: 4:13pm On Jul 04, 2019
Most of the car drivers in Lagos are not 100% normal including moa. I remeber the first time I drove in Ibadan I felt those drivers are too slow for my liking.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Nairalander In Kenya Can I Hustle In Kenya? / Ethiopian Airline Starts Operation In Enugu / How Can I Verify An Issued Dubai Visa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.