Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,632 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. (8348 Views)

If Peter Obi Was Sworn In, What Would Have Changed? / Pantami: "I Have Changed Several Positions Taken In The Past" / Jubril: Official Microsoft Website Buhari Palm Fingerprints Have Changed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by aolawale025: 7:57am On Jul 09, 2019
There was greatness before colonisation

1 Like

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Born2Breed(f): 8:25am On Jul 09, 2019
rookidmart:

Lmao
I'm not even religious and I never mentioned anything about any foreign deity.

You said "they're scared to return them to us in case we invoke the angry ancestral powers behind the stolen artefacts to unleash mayhem in their direction."

And I'm asking you where your so-called angry ancestral powers were when the Benin people were being ravaged by the whites from the Portuguese to the British.
Or do they keep African Time too?

If you read your history properly then you won't be here disgracing yourself... Portugal never fought the Benins neither was Benin a hunting ground for slave merchants.

1 Like

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Born2Breed(f): 8:33am On Jul 09, 2019
Racoon:
And where has civilization taken Benin City to comparable to London even after 58years of independent? Africa is just synonymous with backwardness

You would have seen it clearly if Benin was an independent nation and if Aguiyi-Ironsi with advice from Azikiwe did not come with their unitary government.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by IamAtikulate: 8:41am On Jul 09, 2019
No matter how stupid a son has been to the father, the father always run to protect the son whenever he senses danger.

Bini plays this role very well in the South, even unconsciously. This is makes me think Bini was really what the Binis are saying it was.

No matter how you insult Bini, no matter how angry bini is with other tribes in the South, when a matter of Southern solidarity arises, even when we don't expect them to show face, Bini will identify.

If Bini had taken leadership of the South after the war, it won't be messed up as yoruba moslems succeeded in creating weak spots in the southern chain.

I always respect bini and it pains me when some ignorant Igbos insult Bini. I wish they will have a country of theirs when this country break into pieces.

Kingdom of Bini.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Born2Breed(f): 8:42am On Jul 09, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
you assume too much!!!
. who told u I am either a xtain or Muslim?

This is a faceless forum,assumption is not wrong until the admin adds state of origin and religion before registration,we all will continue to assume.

BTW, if you are Moslem you may ask where was Allah when Muhammad was poisoned.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by babyfaceafrica: 8:45am On Jul 09, 2019
Born2Breed:

This is a faceless forum,assumption is not wrong until the admin adds state of origin and religion before registration,we all will continue to assume.

BTW, if you are Moslem you may ask where was Allah when Muhammad was poisoned.
assumption is wrong
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:46am On Jul 09, 2019
True. History is often a fable agreed upon. But Rossiki why do you see nothing wrong in the existence of Nigeria? If we were better off individually until some monsters forcefully joined us, why do you have issues with people like IPOB and other secessionist groups trying to strike down the western Creation?

1 Like

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Nobody: 8:48am On Jul 09, 2019
IamAtikulate:
No matter how stupid a son has been to the father, the father always run to protect the son whenever he senses danger.

Bini plays this role very well in the South, even unconsciously. This is makes me think Bini was really what the Binis are saying it was.

No matter how you insult Bini, no matter how angry bini is with other tribes in the South, when a matter of Southern solidarity arises, even when we don't expect them to show face, Bini will identify.

If Bini had taken leadership of the South after the war, it won't be messed up as yoruba moslems succeeded in creating weak spots in the southern chain.

I always respect bini and it pains me when some ignorant Igbos insult Bini. I wish they will have a country of theirs when this country break into pieces.

Kingdom of Bini.
like seriously the first day I came to nairaland i was really in support of Biafra and the Eastern region but when I started saying how "ipob" insult us like it's our fault. They call us names from witches to prostitutes, mhen I was really offended. That's why I created this moniker.

The Bini has been in support of igbos from the beginning and some miscreants online had to spoiled it.
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 09, 2019
Sapiosexuality:
True. History is often a fable agreed upon. But Rossiki why do you see nothing wrong in the existence of Nigeria? If we were better off individually until some monsters forcefully joined us, why do you have issues with people like IPOB and other secessionist groups trying to strike down the western Creation?
how do you want Bini to agree with us when you call them names online, insult their cultural leaders.

An average Bini person don't like Nigeria seff, we see Nigeria as a country drawing us backward so don't think Bini are among the people enjoying ""one Nigeria".

I dare you to list any meaningful thing Edo people has again from Nigeria, nothing. Not even federal jobs or political position.

But when some ipob miscreants start insulting the Bini people, you don't expect them to side with igbos after the insults
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Born2Breed(f): 8:53am On Jul 09, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
assumption is wrong

Give it time, it will sink.
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by babyfaceafrica: 8:54am On Jul 09, 2019
Born2Breed:

Give it time, it will sink.
never
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by IamAtikulate: 8:55am On Jul 09, 2019
Born2Breed:

You would have seen it clearly if Benin was an independent nation and if Aguiyi-Ironsi with advice from Azikiwe did not come with their unitary government.
This is unlike Bini. The binis I know have pride and don't blame people for their woes.

The British punitive raid was what broke bini. It so pathetic how every Nigerian blames Igbo for their woes.

Unitary government that didn't last beyond 6 months? Under regionalism you guys were lumped with other tribes during the pre-unitary era, but today, you have a state that is almost purely Edoiod, what have you guys achieved?

I am really disappointed, I don't know Edo is also this lowly.

Without the war, we would have been over 20 years more advanced than we are today but we don't blame anybody.

We don't blame Ijaws for the abandon property policy, we don't blame Yorubas for the 20 pounds policy and the blockade that killed 3 million people, we don't blame Middle Belt for the role they played during the war and we don't blame the North for the role they played during the war.

Today, we only blame the North for leveraging their political positions to enforce systematic marginalization even many years after the war and Yorubas for supporting them, but we don't blame any for any developmental issue in the East.

1 Like

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by IamAtikulate: 9:03am On Jul 09, 2019
Igbobyblood:
like seriously the first day I came to nairaland i was really in support of Biafra and the Eastern region but when I started saying how "ipob" insult us like it's our fault. They call us names from witches to prostitutes, mhen I was really offended. That's why I created this moniker.

The Bini has been in support of igbos from the beginning and some miscreants online had to spoiled it.
An Igbo man will NEVER attack you unless you poses some significant threat to you.

That is just us.

It is either someone is impersonating Igbo, someone impersonating Bini attacked the Igbo or the Igbo is just plain ignorant.

There are only two people we defend aggressively on Nairaland, Ijaws and Edos but unfortunately, there are more Edos impersonating Igbo monikers than vice versa.

We respect Edos more than Yorubas and Hausas combined, it is a #FACT

3 Likes

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Nobody: 9:03am On Jul 09, 2019
IamAtikulate:

This is unlike Bini. The binis I know have pride and don't blame people for their woes.

The British punitive raid was what broke bini. It so pathetic how every Nigerian blames Igbo for their woes.

Unitary government that didn't last beyond 6 months? Under regionalism you guys were lumped with other tribes during the pre-unitary era, but today, you have a state that is almost purely Edoiod, what have you guys achieved?

Without the war, we would have been over 20 years more advanced than we are today but we don't blame anybody.

We don't blame Ijaws for the abandon property policy, we don't blame Yorubas for the 20 pounds policy and the blockade that killed 3 million people, we don't blame Middle Belt for the role they played during the war and we don't blame the North for the role they played during the war.

Today, we only blame the North for leveraging their political positions to enforce systematic marginalization even many years after the war and Yorubas for supporting them, but we don't blame any for any developmental issue in the East.
you are asking what the Edo people has achieved?.

First of all it's unfair to compare us with the 3 big tribes(Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba), they have like 10 times our population, compare us with other minorities and see what we have achieved.

The igbos get to have 5 states even when Edo state is bigger than Anambra, Enugu and abia combined.

Why couldn't the government create a separate region for the Edo people?.

The Bini speaking people will have 1 state
The Esan speaking people will have 1 state
The afemai will have 1 state
The urhobo will have 1 state.

It will be called the Midwest region, let's see if it won't overtake most regions in Nigeria today
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Born2Breed(f): 9:08am On Jul 09, 2019
IamAtikulate:

I don't want to go digging up archives,but there are several post on here and elsewhere where the Igbos blamed others for their woes.

That's by the way, with the amalgamation there was no way Benin would have attained the desired glory Independently. We were only added to the west pre-independence after independence we were on our own with our kith and kin. Mid-West was the youngest region that would have grown to be the envy of the country today if that dream wasn't aborted by the coup and other events that took place.

The unitary government was not six months like you erroneously stated. It has been on for 55yrs now if I'm not mistaken.

We are not blaming anyone, I only answered the question our friend Racoon threw up there truthfully.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 09, 2019
IamAtikulate:

An Igbo man will NEVER attack you unless you poses some significant threat to you.

That is just us.

It is either someone is impersonating Igbo, someone impersonating Bini attacked the Igbo or the Igbo is just plain ignorant.

There are only two people we defend aggressively on Nairaland, Ijaws and Edos but unfortunately, there are more Edos impersonating Igbo monikers than vice versa.

you are right. A newly made moniker created a topic https://www.nairaland.com/4866877/edo-state-should-capital-south-south and the moderator moved it to front page, the op of the thread started insulting ijaw and tried to turn it into Igbo bashing thread. Both the ss and igbos started insulting the binis, guess which tribe the op didn't insult? Yoruba and the moderator that moved it is a Yoruba Man(myndd).

Till today the op of the thread is still inactive but the deed have already been done
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by IamAtikulate: 9:16am On Jul 09, 2019
Igbobyblood:
you are asking what the Edo people has achieved?.

First of all it's unfair to compare us with the 3 big tribes(Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba), they have like 10 times our population, compare us with other minorities and see what we have achieved.

The igbos get to have 5 states even when Edo state is bigger than Anambra, Enugu and abia combined.

Why couldn't the government create a separate region for the Edo people?.

The Bini speaking people will have 1 state
The Esan speaking people will have 1 state
The afemai will have 1 state
The urhobo will have 1 state.

It will be called the Midwest region, let's see if it won't overtake most regions in Nigeria today
Like I said, we respect Edo and will always but someone blaming Ndi Igbo's 6 months unitary government for any developmental issue they have is totally unacceptable.

We know the roles Edo played during and after the war and we are happy with them. No sane Igbo man insults Edo unless they are trolling.

I can resurrect and mention you in about 5 anti-Edo threads so that you would read for yourself how Ndi Igbo fight to defend Edo.

The only place we disgree with Edo is in Gele gele and Eka and it is more about sentiment than objectivity.

If I am asked to break this country into just 4, I will give all Edoid including Ijaw a separate country and return all their lands in the South to them, of course, Biafra will top the list, MB + Southern Kaduna will have theirs and the Lord Protectors of one Nigeria, Yorubas would be lumped with Arewa.

I believe Edo needs a separate country to reach their full potentials and they are not our enemy and will never be.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Born2Breed(f): 9:17am On Jul 09, 2019
Igbobyblood:
you are right. A newly made moniker created a topic https://www.nairaland.com/4866877/edo-state-should-capital-south-south and the moderator moved it to front page, the op of the thread started insulting ijaw and tried to turn it into Igbo bashing thread. Both the ss and igbos started insulting the binis, guess which tribe the op didn't insult? Yoruba and the moderator that moved it is a Yoruba Man(myndd).

Till today the op of the thread is still inactive but the deed have already been done

Wow!!! You still have this thread, I unfollowed it after discovering the intent of the op.

But the gullible ones fell for the bait. Although it actually displayed the age long hidden mindset of some people we have always got their back.
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 09, 2019
Born2Breed:

Wow!!! You still have this thread, I unfollowed it after discovering the intent of the op.

But the gullible ones fell for the bait. Although it actually displayed the age long hidden mindset of some people we have always got their back.
I read every single post on it, the op is a Yoruba person, I'll stake my money the mod is behind the moniker.

I've seen lots of threads, they will claim to be from Edo but don't know about Benin history, they will use their monikers to be insulting igbos or south south people.

I always ask why use Edo as bait? What do you people gain from this evil

1 Like

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 09, 2019
IamAtikulate:

Like I said, we respect Edo and will always but someone blaming Ndi Igbo's 6 months unitary government for any developmental issue they have is totally unacceptable.

We know the roles Edo played during and after the war and we are happy with them. No sane Igbo man insults Edo unless they are trolling.

I can resurrect and mention you in about 5 anti-Edo threads so that you would read for yourself how Ndi Igbo fight to defend Edo.

The only place we disgree with Edo is in Gele gele and Eka and it is more about sentiment than objectivity.

If I am asked to break this country into just 4, I will give all Edoid including Ijaw a separate country and return all their lands in the South to them, of course, Biafra will top the list, MB + Southern Kaduna will have theirs and the Lord Protectors of one Nigeria, Yorubas would be lumped with Arewa.

I believe Edo needs a separate country to reach their full potentials and they are not our enemy and will never be.
you are right in some areas but you need to come to Edo to learn about ika people.

That's what get most igbos confused, they think all ikas are the same but they aren't. The ones in igbanke bear names like nosa, odion, Osama etc while some have a mixture of igbos and Edo.

About gelegele, the ijaw are settlers their lifestyle is revolved around the ocean so they settle there. They have even apologise to the oba and they have accepted their status.

Do you even know most ijaw areas around river and bayelsa states speak edoid language? What if we start claiming those areas they won't agree
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by IamAtikulate: 9:29am On Jul 09, 2019
Igbobyblood:

I respect Elders and as I long as I live, Edo is an Elder and I would feel safer having Edo assume leadership of the entire south.

I am a party man to the core, if I am to have my way, I would advise PDP not to field a candidate against Obaseki.

He is rebuilding Edo and a strong Edo is what we need to strengthen the South. The yorubas are more interested in holding power than strengthening the South.
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Favor99(m): 9:33am On Jul 09, 2019
IamAtikulate:

That is just us.

Thanks bro I really appreciate this. We love, admire and respect Igbos a lot, so it’s not easy at all when we see insults coming from Igbos online.
It would be real nice if we could all unite and put aside our differences smiley
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 09, 2019
IamAtikulate:

I respect Elders and as I long as I live, Edo is an Elder and I would feel safer having Edo assume leadership of the entire south.

I am a party man to the core, if I am to have my way, I would advise PDP not to field a candidate against Obaseki.

He is rebuilding Edo and a strong Edo is what we need to strengthen the South. The yorubas are more interested in holding power than strengthening the South.

if you know what PDP did in Edo state for 10 years you'll understand the reason Edo State is the only APC state in south south Nigeria.

Obaseki second term is non negotiable
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by seunmsg(m): 9:36am On Jul 09, 2019
onez:
I'm becoming more confident that yoruba Obas have their ancestry from Benin kingdom. They may be probably renegades from Benin Royal family. I wish a DNA study can be done on it.

Benin Obas till date are actually Yorubas. The present Benin royalty was founded by Eweka I, a direct son of Oranmiyan. Oranmiyan founded the great Oyo empire before returning to reign as the sixth Ooni of Ile Ife.

1 Like

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Nobody: 9:37am On Jul 09, 2019
seunmsg:

Benin Obas till date are actually Yorubas. The present Benin royalty was founded by Eweka I, a direct son of Oranmiyan. Oranmiyan founded the great Oyo empire before returning to reign as the sixth Ooni of Ile Ife.
undecided ah please not again.

Answer this question please.

Why would Benin people go to Ile Ife to ask for a king?
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by seunmsg(m): 9:42am On Jul 09, 2019
blackpanda:

Lubbish ancestral boosit

They won't return anything cos immediately it lands on our shores it will bevstolen and resold back to them

Let them return what they stole from us first. If we decide to steal the artifacts and sell back to them, that’s understandable. It would be that we sold what belong to us. As it stands now, we never gave them those artifacts and we sold it to them. They should return what they stole.
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by IamAtikulate: 9:46am On Jul 09, 2019
Igbobyblood:
you are right in some areas but you need to come to Edo to learn about ika people.

That's what get most igbos confused, they think all ikas are the same but they aren't. The ones in igbanke bear names like nosa, odion, Osama etc while some have a mixture of igbos and Edo.

About gelegele, the ijaw are settlers their lifestyle is revolved around the ocean so they settle there. They have even apologise to the oba and they have accepted their status.

Do you even know most ijaw areas around river and bayelsa states speak edoid language? What if we start claiming those areas they won't agree
Like I said, it is more about sentiment than objectivity.

A lot of Igbos believe that Igede are Igbos, they answer Igbo names, resemble Igbo, eat Igbo food, inter-marry and we have been running with that mentality.

I traveled to Igede and I spoke with lots of their elders and they me they are Edo and their kings still pay homage to Edo but because of closeness to the Igbos, they assimilated Igbo culture.

I was disappointed but I have to accept who they say they are.

They clearly told me that because they can't move back to Edo, should the country divide, they rather join Biafra than Arewa but we must give them a state.

About Ika, I was told Ika is Igbo and I have never been to Ika.

Till then, I will always take them as Igbo until I visit and verify because they manifest many things Igbo.

You don't have to blame us, we have this culture of "Onye anuna ube nwanne, gba oso". I will translate it roughly as "be your brothers' keeper"

About Gele gele, it is purely Ijaw-Edo matter. We are just trolling.
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by IamAtikulate: 9:51am On Jul 09, 2019
Igbobyblood:
if you know what PDP did in Edo state for 10 years you'll understand the reason Edo State is the only APC state in south south Nigeria.

Obaseki second term is non negotiable
I don't care about what PDP did, I am only concerned about a strong south.

We trust Obaseki and he is not disappointing.

PDP didn't do those evil as a party, but individuals in PDP did.
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Nobody: 9:51am On Jul 09, 2019
IamAtikulate:

Like I said, it is more about sentiment than objectivity.

A lot of Igbos believe that Igede are Igbos, they answer Igbo names, resemble Igbo, eat Igbo food, inter-marry and we have been running with that mentality.

I traveled to Igede and I spoke with lots of their elders and they me they are Edo and their kings still pay homage to Edo but because of closeness to the Igbos, they assimilated Igbo culture.

I was disappointed but I have to accept who they say they are.

They clearly told me that because they can't move back to Edo, should the country divide, they rather join Biafra than Arewa but we must give them a state.

About Ika, I was told Ika is Igbo and I have never been to Ika.

Till then, I will always take them as Igbo until I visit and verify because they manifest many things Igbo.

You don't have to blame us, we have this culture of "Onye anuna ube nwanne, gba oso". I will translate it roughly as "be your brothers' keeper"
only I understand, there are many people that claim Edo origin.

There's is this Benin social group, they will release a map of all people that claim Benin ancestry on the 20th if this month. I know it will cause many insults to the Bini's but the truth can't be hidden.

They even visited degema people in river state, their king welcome them and say degema are from Edo. The problem is these degema people dresses like the ijaw and have eze as king title.

I love what the present oba is doing, trying to unite them into a common front.

But the main problems are the uniformed Igbos grin, they will call us land grabbers and Yoruba slaves
Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by seunmsg(m): 9:52am On Jul 09, 2019
Igbobyblood:
undecided ah please not again.

Answer this question please.

Why would Benin people go to Ile Ife to ask for a king?

Because Ife is the source of mankind. Yoruba, Igbo, Edo, etc all lived in Ile Ife before they migrated to found different kingdoms. Benin was in chaos after the fall of the Ogiso dynasty. They needed a blue blood to restore normalcy and it was only logical that they asked the Ife royalty to send a prince to rule the city. In those days, there was no silly and egoistic war of tribes like we have today.

Beyond your questions though, you can’t argue against the fact that Oranmiyan was a Yoruba man. You also cannot argue against the fact that he was the father of Eweka. And you can’t deny the fact that the present Benin royalty are descendants of Eweka. We cannot change or rewrite history.

1 Like

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by Nobody: 9:54am On Jul 09, 2019
You can watch the videos on YouTube.

Now imagine if we start claiming part of river and bayelsa states as Edo nation, won't that bring hate to us?

Re: Benin Versus London - How Times Have Changed. by IamAtikulate: 9:55am On Jul 09, 2019
Favor99:

Thanks bro I really appreciate this. We love, admire and respect Igbos a lot, so it’s not easy at all when we see insults coming from Igbos online.
It would be real nice if we could all unite and put aside our differences smiley
We know who our enemies are and Edos are never one.

We still owe Edo and Ndi Igbo pay their debt.

Only foolish indomie generation Igbos would forget the roles Edo played during and after the war and even before colonial periods.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Nullifies LASTMA Powers To Impose Fine On Offenders / Special Adviser To Enugu Governor Dies Of Food Poisoning / Nigeria To Stop Fuel Importation By 2019 – Kachikwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.