Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,617 members, 7,823,701 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff (11108 Views)

Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff / Zenith Bank Set To Layoff Its Staff / Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by OmoTier1(m): 1:30pm On Oct 15, 2010
@sauer : Why are Nigerians ever so difficult to deal with? Please this is not a trivial issue!

@ OP:

Please can you get the account/FACTS of this story straight so that we can help PASTE it around blogs, YOUTUBE it with a narration. Please note that the names of the BOSS(s) should be clearly stated if you are very sure of the depth of their involvement.

And to other  NL forumites, if the poster can get the FACTS out as requested, lets make the effort to have them cross checked, thereafter we can do just as He encouraged i.e. : SPREAD THE NEWS AS FAR AS IT CAN GO - just like the recent case of Arik air that got the management on the toes!

This is really such as sad story and we can all help move Nigeria forward by fighting backward fellows like these boss(s) if they are truly found wanting in this case.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by denony(m): 1:38pm On Oct 15, 2010
may her soul rest in peace
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by darqly(m): 1:49pm On Oct 15, 2010
I saw de obit in the dailies and thot how sad for someone so young to leave so soon. Never knew she was a staff of SCB. I know for a fact that organizations will pay only part of a salary during extended illness but the attitude of the leaders involved leaves much to be desired. Really sad.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by UyiIredia(m): 1:49pm On Oct 15, 2010
@ topic >> i am going to face-book it & e-mail it now >>> this is really sad  sad

my condolences though >>> know how it feels >>> late last year i lost my mum
she was a retired nurse (almost a matron b4 retiring) >>> ironic thing was how she died

a week b4 then she was assisting a fellow church member (an SOS doctor 4 that matter) whose
wife had was about to put to bed >>> >>> *the drama starts* >>>

*1 >>> she was made to wait an 1hr at LUTH after her first 'birth pangs'
*2 >>> for most part of her labour she wasn't attended to (the doctor_her husband_found out after he got in)
*3 >>> my mum & the lady's husband in question were restricted from following the lady into the labour room
*4 >>> after agonizingly waiting for 2hrs, the doctor couldn't take it he forcefully gained access (identifying himself as a doctor with his ID card)
*5 >>> the labour ended in a miscarriage (i.e the poor baby girl died)
*6 >>> the nurses (or whoever was supposed to) left the placenta retained in this woman's womb
*7 >>> the woman was lucky her doctor husband' was quick to observe this the next day_b4 anoda person 4 just die like cockroach

>>> rest assured he didn't take his wife to LUTH

>>> my mum had served a good (if i recall) 10 years or thereabout as a practicing nurse (she retired the year b4 i was born) >>> she was heartbroken to observe this in a field she loved (b4 my dad convinced her to be a full-time housewife) >>> this in part was why she chose not to go to LUTH on the Sunday her illness complicated >>> but to our church clinic (where she was treated by people she had worked with & trusted with) >>>

Man proposes God disposes

i can't raise her from the dead >>> but it's painful to see that the primary issue which surrounds her death (i.e a bad health care system) caused this young lady's death >> o ma se o sad >>> and remain unsolved in this society >>> and probably the bank had the guts to celebrate Nigeria's 50th independence (in unwarranted-for pomp) >>> as my lecturer likes to say

When leaders are foolish the people are the worse for it (sic)

So much for me >>> i'm off
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by seyibrown(f): 2:08pm On Oct 15, 2010
rip!
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by Goldmind1(m): 2:11pm On Oct 15, 2010
I pray she was at peace with God when she was here, so that she would not continue suffering in hell. John 3:16
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by softgirl1: 2:14pm On Oct 15, 2010
WHAT A YOUNG AND VIBRANT WOMAN THAT IS JUST STARTING LIFE I PITY HER CHILD/CHILDREN AND HUSBAND IT IS VERY UNFAIR OF THIS BANK IT WILL DEFINATLY BE PUBLISH BY PRESS PLS LET DISGRACE ALL THESE WICKED ACT OF THIS CHARTERED BANK IT IS SO PAINFUL MAY HER SOLE REST IN PEACE cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
@POSTER U TOO HAVE UR FULT U WOULD HAVE COMMUNICATED TO US ON NAIRALAND WHEN SHE WAS STILL SICK BUT ALIVE AT LIST THERE ARE STILL SOME KID HEART THAT CAN DO SOMETING FOR HER, TOO BAD SHE IS DEAD NOW HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM cry cry cryDIS HAS REALY MAKE MY DAY FUNNY I REALY FEEL FOR HER KIDS COS THE DEAD DON'T FEEL PAINS AND THOSE KIDS NEED THIER MOTHER
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by Outstrip(f): 2:31pm On Oct 15, 2010
Kidney problems is on the rise in Nigeria and the US. Odly many young people in Nigeria are also dying also from liver disease. It might have something to do with the misuse of medication and even sometimes taking bad/fake medicine. I really feel for this woman and her loved ones. May her soul rest in peace. She definitely went too soon.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by joy2dworld: 2:34pm On Oct 15, 2010
employee welfare and banking in Nigeria is very different from what is practised int he outside world( we practice kangaroo banking in Nigeria). find out what the bank policy says, if Gtbank did it for a staff doesn't mean SCB WILL DO IT . their policies are different. i am an ex banker and i know for sure that for you to be flown out side the country for treatment you must be from the level of a SM (senior manager) and above, or maybe by chance you have an "esther who spoke to the king on your behalf " and you found favor
the truth is we are inhumane to our staff in Nigeria esp. in the banks . unfortunately bankers are made to sign all sort when they are employed which states all these in fine print and but we somehow expect them ( management) to change when we need them. even though the late banker was a BOM she could have been a middle level officer

may her soul rest in peace , it is very sad but may God help us all and keep us in good health .
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by juman(m): 2:42pm On Oct 15, 2010
Our leaders do not have conscience. They are like dead wood. The dead of this young woman is one of the outcome of their corruption. Our leaders should know that there will be one day the day that we will not be able to take this rubbish any more. That day will be deadly. Unless they will kill everybody. It's sooner than latter.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by tlops(m): 3:02pm On Oct 15, 2010
say-d-fact:

[size=14pt]i guess u know the meaning of killed.[/size]

except there's smtin u've not told us; my question to u is "CAN U BE A FREEDOM FIGHTER, IN HIDDING?, IF U CANT FACE THE MANAGEMENT, THEN REALLY THERE'S SOMETIN U'RE HIDING"

In concluding; May her Soul rest in Peace,

be bold, walk up to the management, die for the course if its worth it,
lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed

Well, you cantbe one man army, you'll die, thats why he needs people to join in this course, I feel for the deceased's family.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by Outstrip(f): 3:17pm On Oct 15, 2010
joy2dworld:

employee welfare and banking in Nigeria is very different from what is practised int he outside world( we practice kangaroo banking in Nigeria). find out what the bank policy says, if Gtbank did it for a staff doesn't mean SCB WILL DO IT . their policies are different. i am an ex banker and i know for sure that for you to be flown out side the country for treatment you must be from the level of a SM (senior manager) and above, or maybe by chance you have an "esther who spoke to the king on your behalf " and you found favor
the truth is we are inhumane to our staff in Nigeria esp. in the banks . unfortunately bankers are made to sign all sort when they are employed which states all these in fine print and but we somehow expect them ( management) to change when we need them. even though the late banker was a BOM she could have been a middle level officer

may her soul rest in peace , it is very sad but may God help us all and keep us in good health .

Did you miss the part were they said she was not paid her salary
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by Pethan: 3:21pm On Oct 15, 2010
Gone so soon! its a pity rest in perfect peace cry cry cry
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 15, 2010
^^
A multinational like SCB would have enlisted her staff under some sort of health insurance scheme, one would think.

Be that as it may, we can't really expect private employers of labour to step in and take responsibility in these areas where our nation has failed us. The healthcare system of this country is messed up even when you have the money to pay, let's not even go in the direction of the NHIS in this case. I know this sounds callous but it's the ugly truth, we should look inwards as Nigerians, instead of piling all the blame on the deceased's employers; keep in mind the fact that those companies are in business to turn a profit, first & foremost.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by buzugee(m): 3:46pm On Oct 15, 2010
what was the ailment that killed her ? whats the name of the disease ?
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by buzugee(m): 3:54pm On Oct 15, 2010
Outstrip:

Kidney problems is on the rise in Nigeria and the US. Odly many young people in Nigeria are also dying also from liver disease. It might have something to do with the misuse of medication and even sometimes taking bad/fake medicine. I really feel for this woman and her loved ones. May her soul rest in peace. She definitely went too soon.
too much odekun and star and gulder is why many nigerians have liver disease. and too much meat and protein is why they have kidney disease. protein produces a lot of urea which is taxing on the kidney.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by zoraro(m): 3:59pm On Oct 15, 2010
ziddy:

^^
keep in mind the fact that those companies are in business to turn a profit, first & foremost.
The profit that they make is it not for other humans? So there staffs/workers can die as long as the owners/share holders have profits to share?
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 15, 2010
You took that out of context you twerp
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by kemisuga(f): 4:50pm On Oct 15, 2010
:-x
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by joy2dworld: 5:06pm On Oct 15, 2010
Outstrip:

Did you miss the part were they said she was not paid her salary

@ outstripe, she was paid half salary . that is obtainable in Nigerian banking ( esp. if u have a wicked boss) when u have stayed away from your desk for more than a 3 months then when you stay away for more than 6months they will take a decision either you are asked to resign or rendant redundant. the unrest in the banking industry too doesn't help matters as regards people's jobs
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by joy2dworld: 5:08pm On Oct 15, 2010
i meant render redundant
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by juman(m): 5:10pm On Oct 15, 2010
Nigerians always surprise me. People should let our leaders know that their bad governance killed the young woman. Kidney problem is not big problem in today's world, even in third world countries. But dying country like Nigeria, any disease may kill person like fly.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by just1(m): 5:13pm On Oct 15, 2010
From SCB CEO

Dear Colleagues,

I am aware of the tragic circumstances of Funke Alaka’s untimely demise. My deepest sympathies go to all her family, friends, and colleagues.

I have personally looked into the facts surrounding her death.

Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria provides staff with a choice with regard to health care insurance plans. The plan that Funke chose was ready to cover 100% of her medical costs and also to arrange for visas for her and her husband in order for her to obtain the necessary medical treatment in India.

Once HR was belatedly advised of her illness, it immediately contacted her insurance company. Having received her medical report, her insurance company then swiftly arranged all the necessary logistics for her medical care in the appropriate Indian hospital, within three weeks of notification.

In addition, I confirm that at no time were her salary or benefits reduced.

It is tragic that Funke’s health did not permit her to travel to receive the treatment that had been rapidly arranged for her. We have all lost an outstanding colleague and a dear friend.

This case does highlight the need for all staff to be aware of HR health care policies and procedures in order for them to fully utilize the benefits that Standard Chartered’s health care insurance provides. I attach below the link which had been previously circulated by HR to the policy.

I have asked for a new committee to partner with HR to undertake a comprehensive review of our existing medical options. Secondly, I have also tasked the HR team to undertake a systematic review on the education that all staff are provided on our health care policies, procedures and benefits on which you will receive more information.

Again, my deepest sympathies to all who knew Funke Alaka.

Kind regards,

Christopher
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by just1(m): 5:17pm On Oct 15, 2010
FROM SCB CEO

Dear Colleagues,

I am aware of the tragic circumstances of Funke Alaka’s untimely demise. My deepest sympathies go to all her family, friends, and colleagues.

I have personally looked into the facts surrounding her death.

Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria provides staff with a choice with regard to health care insurance plans. The plan that Funke chose was ready to cover 100% of her medical costs and also to arrange for visas for her and her husband in order for her to obtain the necessary medical treatment in India.

Once HR was belatedly advised of her illness, it immediately contacted her insurance company. Having received her medical report, her insurance company then swiftly arranged all the necessary logistics for her medical care in the appropriate Indian hospital, within three weeks of notification.

In addition, I confirm that at no time were her salary or benefits reduced.

It is tragic that Funke’s health did not permit her to travel to receive the treatment that had been rapidly arranged for her. We have all lost an outstanding colleague and a dear friend.

This case does highlight the need for all staff to be aware of HR health care policies and procedures in order for them to fully utilize the benefits that Standard Chartered’s health care insurance provides. I attach below the link which had been previously circulated by HR to the policy.

I have asked for a new committee to partner with HR to undertake a comprehensive review of our existing medical options. Secondly, I have also tasked the HR team to undertake a systematic review on the education that all staff are provided on our health care policies, procedures and benefits on which you will receive more information.

Again, my deepest sympathies to all who knew Funke Alaka.

Kind regards,

Christopher
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by lovejo(m): 6:51pm On Oct 15, 2010
standard chartered belongs to south africa, so they dont value life over there as we value life here. may her gentle souls rest in perfect peace.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by andyanders: 6:59pm On Oct 15, 2010
AS YOU CAN SEE, THERE ARE LOTS OF ENVY IN THE BANKING SECTOR IN NIGERIA BECAUSE THE WAY BANKS OPERATE HERE IN NIGERIA IS NOT THE WAY THEY OPERATE IN OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD. BANKS ARE BEEN OVER STAFFED IN NIGERIA AND BECAUSE OF THIS, MOST OF THEM GET INVOLVED IN SOME FETISH THINGS TO KEEP THEIR JOB. DON'T BE SURPRISED THAT THE SO CALLED GUY THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE HER IMMEDIATE BOSS, MUST HAVE BEEN THE COURSE OF HER DEATH." envy" MAYBE HE IS TRYING TO COVER SOME DEALS UNKNOWN, HENCE HIS ACTION. WHAT WILL IT COST A BANK TO SEND HER FOR PROPER MEDICAL TREATMENT TO INDIA? NOTHING.

MAYBE AS A MARRIED WOMAN AND A YOUNG LADY, SHE MUST HAVE BEEN FACING SEXUAL HARASSMENT UNKNOWN TO ANYONE AND THE GUY WANTED TO GET HER OUT OF HIS WAY.

can you immagine such a young woman. May God grant her family the furtitude to bear this great loss.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by larimo(m): 7:55pm On Oct 15, 2010
My God! cry

I remember seeing this young lovely face in the dailies and I said to myself "Why? She's so young, " cry cry cry

Above all, may her soul rest in the hands of our great God.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by Reference(m): 8:24pm On Oct 15, 2010
Well in this case you have to find out what the company's health insurance/assurance policy is. For one the managers you list may not be empowered to raise such funds for such an unfortunate issue. They may take the matter to HQ for instance and the chap up there just shrugs his shoulders. You know how times are with most  banking jobs hanging by a thread. Another fact is that if it cannot be proven to be a job related incident some of these establishments will not respond appropriately. So I think you ought to find out if her rights were breached within the bank's setup. Do not be swayed by the notion that these institutions are cozy nests. They are not. The harsh reality of business in Nigeria will make them act strangely.

What I cannot understand is how a private initiative can be stifled by that so- called manager. His name should be the firs on the charge sheet. Typical Nigerian ceremony before action. Everything must be in a song and dance. When will we ever change.

May her soul rest in peace. In her condition she was born into a wrong country at a wrong time. I lost a close relation who was at studying in a health institution. She passed away after a painful and prolonged battle with illness. Was very amazed then. How could you die while studying in what was Nigeria's foremost teaching hospital.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by zamalel: 8:47pm On Oct 15, 2010
I took time to visit the Head Office of this Bank today, spoke with some friends (I work around their H/O and an acquittance to at least 3 of the staff) It is quite unfortunate that what is being spread is unwholesome lies, malicious fabrications and selfishly crafted falsehood to taint some individuals and the organization.

I have a strong feeling that the masterminder is an insider, probably disgruntled and so determined to have a pound of flesh one way or the other, perhaps an ex-staff who feels unfairly treated.

Facts gathered in my short visit.

1. I was surprised to peruse the deceased staff statement of account, there was no denial nor reduction of staff pay at any point, her pay was constant at least from Jan to Sept as contained in the statement I saw. Why would some one quote that she was either on half pay or off pay in the past 3 months.

2. There was no 3 months fund raising activity organized for this cause to raise funds. Most of the staff got aware of the deceased illness barely a week and half before her demise.

3. I also gathered that deceased family did not quite get better diagnosis of  what ailment she had even though for a stretch of about 3 months she was reported as getting tired easily. she asked to be off work in July and to resume Aug.

5. Some close workmate who were aware visited and the husband confirms that  arrangement was underway to fly her out. I asked if HR was made aware but the feedback was not clear.

6. I also gathered that her immediate work colleague, out of their volition opted to support their colleague by buying her ticket fare. I asked if the family showed any sign of being in need for help but response was that funds availability was not a constraint at any time.

I will visit again and explore options of chatting with their HR Head and the bank's image maker. I understand the MD sent a broadcast to all staff clarifying what truly transpired. Possibly, I wish to get the MD message and the deceased statement of account and share (might be tough though) A worthy course of this nature needs to be approached openly and addresses. Hiding under some veil to make unsubstantiated statement wont help. This questions integrity of accounts

May God be with the family of the deceased and give them comfort.

I will revisit.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by JBL316: 8:48pm On Oct 15, 2010
expecting the outcome of your investigation, good job
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by zamalel: 9:02pm On Oct 15, 2010
Further to earlier a/c.

I was also informed that the boss being accused only recently learnt of the plan to fly her out and the intention to raise 500k to support her air tkt fares but involved more hands to raise over 3m and send same to her branch within 4 days of being aware.

Her branch colleagues called to go give her the chq but learnt embassy demanded her physical presence even if it means staying in the car.

I will get more facts but whoever is commenting should get 1st hand information, I have and I will re-corroborate when am able to speak with thier HR and their Image maker.

Who ever has valid proof should be able to ask their HR directly rather than spread selfishly originated falsehood, I'm still shocked realising that the deceased salary was never cut - I saw the statement.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by mohid(m): 9:19pm On Oct 15, 2010
zamalel:

Further to earlier a/c.

I was also informed that the boss being accused only recently learnt of the plan to fly her out and the intention to raise 500k to support her air tkt fares but involved more hands to raise over 3m and send same to her branch within 4 days of being aware.

Her branch colleagues called to go give her the chq but learnt embassy demanded her physical presence even if it means staying in the car.

I will get more facts but whoever is commenting should get 1st hand information, I have and I will re-corroborate when am able to speak with thier HR and their Image maker.

Who ever has valid proof should be able to ask their HR directly rather than spread selfishly originated falsehood, I'm still shocked realising that the deceased salary was never cut - I saw the statement.

nice one.i agree banks in Nigeria are slave drivers but the truth should never be compromised for sentiments.I actually know of a bank staff currently trying to raise 8 million to go abroad 4 a similar operation.Contributions have been running for about 2 months but target has still not been met.Question is ,isnt the bank morally responsible to fund such an operation for their staff.

(1) (2) (3) (4)

What's Your Current Challenge At Your Place Of Work? / In One Sentence Describe Your Boss. / Can Anybody Give Us Info On Institute Of Chatered Secretaries And Administraton

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.