Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,671 members, 7,823,897 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff (11110 Views)

Konga Lays Off 10% Of Its Staff / Zenith Bank Set To Layoff Its Staff / Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by AjanleKoko: 9:39pm On Oct 15, 2010
@just1,
I've reported your post to the admin, and it should be unlocked soon.
That should put the issue to rest i guess.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by bidemi12(m): 9:48pm On Oct 15, 2010
what are the details of her employment contract? is it the banks policy to fly their staff abroad for medical care? Are they obligated to? Much as I sympathise with the family of the deceased, nigerians are too emotional and look at issues from a weired perspective. If you have to petition then petition your legislators to make laws that will force companies to take health insurance on their staff. That is how it's done. There is no emotion when it comes to business. What you rely on are laws to protect you because every company exist to make money and shaft you at every opportunity. The sooner we realize that life is about rules, proceedures, guidlines, the law and less about emotion the better for us. Think about it, if it was the law to have insurance on staff and the bank did not, do you think we would be talking petition or lawsuit. I don't think the bank has any fault here but government for not looking out for the working class. Fracking country. Anyway, may her soul rest in perfect peace. . . . . .
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by namski(m): 9:55pm On Oct 15, 2010
Whilst very sad the story of this lady's death, the issue of fighting against the bank to me is a classical case of "a fowl being cooked in a pot; instead of the fowl picking quarel with the knife that killed it, it instead decided to bend its neck for the pot". My point here, being that whatever ill treatment we may perceive here as metted out on this poor lady was largely encouraged by the poor state of affairs in Nigeria.

@bidemi12, you are on the point.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by kevyngbash(m): 10:29pm On Oct 15, 2010
Hello brothers and sisters living abroad.

How come all you have to say about Nigeria is negative? Your contribution to every topic on nairaland ends with a 'curse' on the country,its people and govt?

Is there a food you guys are fed over there that is responsible for this?

This girl is dead and a company has both moral and social responsibility to its staff members. if everything is done by the book then our moral/social fabric will be lost.

No staff will feign kidney/serious illness. It can be verifed. So the bank should help where it can.

My 'oyibo' brothers and sisters, we blame westerners for not having complete a understanding of our society and thereby reporting half-truths the way it suits them. You people talk like the westerners sometimes.

Are you guys truely Nigerians?  I know you will say you are.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by bidemi12(m): 10:51pm On Oct 15, 2010
^^^ like I said too emotional. . . . . .
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by Arysexy(m): 11:08pm On Oct 15, 2010
Nigerian banks will never cease to amaze me, While i was with intercontinental bank, so many policies against the staff was the order of the day, Thankgod i left b4 the last straw that broke the camel's back, the staff were not allowed to form union, BOMs and BMs were demi-gods giving memoes like its love letters. i will never encourage any of my relatives to joing bank for any thing. banking job is no longer what it used to be, the inherent risk is much compared to the pay. u have to leave house as early as 4am to get to island on or before 7am, sometimes one enters one chance or meet robbers, u r a target by fraudsters if u r not careful, armed robbers that invades most banks often kill staff in the process, u r bound to develop high BP if u happen to be a marketer bc ur BM will always be on ur neck to meet his target, u hadly enjoy ur salary, u close late and get home by 10pm only to crash and get up for the next day. Mehn i thank God i survived the experience, at a point i used to get scared preparing for work cos i wouldn't know which lies to tell my BM about who and who are giving me money for the day. It was hell! u r never celebrated if u meet ur target but hell is let loose if u loose deposit. All the sacrifice is appreciated with either a sck letter or advice to re-sign if they want to sound nice. God punish them all, still burning my candle for Akingbola to be brought to book sooner with 100yrs inprisonment! May this promising star's soul rest in peace amen!
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by sessy2(f): 11:19pm On Oct 15, 2010
May her soul rest in peace. sad sad sad sad sad
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by Goldenmeda(m): 11:43pm On Oct 15, 2010
r . i. p
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by Nobody: 2:44am On Oct 16, 2010
I swear if serious GBEGE no reach the doors of this so called Elites and Politicians, they will not sit up and do the right things.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by namski(m): 8:47am On Oct 16, 2010
^^^^^ F__k off you spammer!
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by chukz4real(m): 9:49am On Oct 16, 2010
Things like this happens in almost every sector in Nigeria; Banking, Construction, E & P, Oil & Gas, etc. I blame the government and the Labour Union for not doing the right things at the right time.

There is this multinational (Italian) Oil & Gas Construction company in Nigeria with all of its department been headed by Italians, They don't care about your welfare as long as you are not Italian, the only term they know how to pronounce without mistake in English language is 'SACK!'. Speak Italian with them and get sacked!, Follow their instructions even if they are wrong or get sacked!, train an Italian for 3 months and be his subordinate or get sacked! Death or alive, nothing concerns the company!
'Nigeria no good, everything Alibaba, , I speak I don't like!". Transfer him to Angola or UAE and all heaven will be let loose!

What is the big deal about Angola (An African country like Nigeria?)

Well, there is an unconfirmed report that Angola and UAE governments has a labour law that stipulates that no foreign worker can head their citizens (national) in any department been the company multinational or local.

What about Nigeria? Hmmm, this is our dear country where a carpenter in Italy, Lebanon, India, etc (provided they have a white skin, with or without academic qualification) comes to Nigeria to become a Construction Manager, Chief Engineer, Operations Manager, etc.

A country where multinationals companies are empowered by the government of the day (politicians) to stop their employees from forming any association by all means.

In summary: Give me constant electricity and I will be my own boss!
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by Ibomade1: 10:25am On Oct 16, 2010
So sad and she is just too young. R.I.P
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by truly: 12:24pm On Oct 16, 2010
zamalel:

I took time to visit the Head Office of this Bank today, spoke with some friends (I work around their H/O and an acquittance to at least 3 of the staff) It is quite unfortunate that what is being spread is unwholesome lies, malicious fabrications and selfishly crafted falsehood to taint some individuals and the organization.

I have a strong feeling that the masterminder is an insider, probably disgruntled and so determined to have a pound of flesh one way or the other, perhaps an ex-staff who feels unfairly treated.

Facts gathered in my short visit.

1. I was surprised to peruse the deceased staff statement of account, there was no denial nor reduction of staff pay at any point, her pay was constant at least from Jan to Sept as contained in the statement I saw. Why would some one quote that she was either on half pay or off pay in the past 3 months.

With due respect, the bank gave you access to another person's account?
while you are not the administrator or trustee of her estate?
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by real4jesus: 12:59pm On Oct 16, 2010
Arysexy:

Nigerian banks will never cease to amaze me, While i was with intercontinental bank, so many policies against the staff was the order of the day, Thankgod i left b4 the last straw that broke the camel's back, the staff were not allowed to form union, BOMs and BMs were demi-gods giving memoes like its love letters. i will never encourage any of my relatives to joing bank for any thing. banking job is no longer what it used to be, the inherent risk is much compared to the pay. u have to leave house as early as 4am to get to island on or before 7am, sometimes one enters one chance or meet robbers, u r a target by fraudsters if u r not careful, armed robbers that invades most banks often kill staff in the process, u r bound to develop high BP if u happen to be a marketer bc your BM will always be on your neck to meet his target, u hadly enjoy your salary, u close late and get home by 10pm only to crash and get up for the next day. Mehn i thank God i survived the experience, at a point i used to get scared preparing for work cos i wouldn't know which lies to tell my BM about who and who are giving me money for the day. It was hell! u r never celebrated if u meet your target but hell is let loose if u loose deposit. All the sacrifice is appreciated with either a sck letter or advice to re-sign if they want to sound nice. God punish them all, still burning my candle for Akingbola to be brought to book sooner with 100yrs inprisonment! May this promising star's soul rest in peace amen!

i tot i was the only one who was almost going craze? thank God i was rescued, and the bank chiefs just seats on the money anf Jollof away.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by madeworite(f): 3:47pm On Oct 16, 2010
@ Zamalel

Na God go punish you with all your so called stated facts /lies
How can the bank give you access to someone (a staff for that matter) private information?
Your facts has exposed you and I suspect you are one of the people that delayed/starved the deceased of good treatment in India
It is no hidden fact that corporate governance is lacking in naija banks, so am not surprise with what happened in SCB
For you to come and spit all these lies online, I bet you need to find the ladies grave and beg for forgiveness or else you have mistakenly curse yourself for life.

@ Poster
It will be worthwhile you let us have the names of the so called big madams so we can deal with SCB in appropriate manner.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by surveycash(m): 4:01pm On Oct 16, 2010

Really sad
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by bruffy: 7:34pm On Oct 16, 2010
Only God can truly punish Gamalel for all the lies. May you bury all your children yourself. If that is what you wish the parents of the deceased, may the same fate befall you. Shame on you
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by epentium: 7:51pm On Oct 16, 2010
@ madeworite, Thank you for your concern. The management know these guys. Daily they have been sending mails and counter mails. They simply are confused. At the right time, we would reveal the names of these guys. We are giving them the benefit of doubt. They are amaze, may be very soon they would begin to sack all her friends/colleagues in the system. We are not deterred. They have called us cowards, but we are not moved. One thing we know is that these guys should be punished. Whatever, kind of punishment would do, not matter how severe or little. They have wasted a life, a mother, a daughter and a wife. At the right time, we would release these names. With over 6000 viewers in less than 1 week, we expect to do enough to get the management to act. Thank you ALL for your support.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by epentium: 8:08pm On Oct 16, 2010
@ Zamalel, You obviously think Nigerians are fools. Obviously not the Nigerians on Nairaland. You think you can deceive us. Please tell us more lies. May your end be like hers.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by lekside44(m): 9:35pm On Oct 16, 2010
bidemi12:

what are the details of her employment contract? is it the banks policy to fly their staff abroad for medical care? Are they obligated to? Much as I sympathise with the family of the deceased, nigerians are too emotional and look at issues from a weired perspective. If you have to petition then petition your legislators to make laws that will force companies to take health insurance on their staff. That is how it's done. There is no emotion when it comes to business. What you rely on are laws to protect you because every company exist to make money and shaft you at every opportunity. The sooner we realize that life is about rules, proceedures, guidlines, the law and less about emotion the better for us. Think about it, if it was the law to have insurance on staff and the bank did not, do you think we would be talking petition or lawsuit. I don't think the bank has any fault here but government for not looking out for the working class. Fracking country. Anyway, may her soul rest in perfect peace. . . . . .

sure, yhis is the type of question that should be asked in the first case. many organisation try to save cost and there is a cclear policy on bills they pay on health issues. if the cause of health problem does not result from their own job hazard, bro you are on your own, expect from minor cases like malaria, typhoid,,
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by Nobody: 10:48pm On Oct 16, 2010
wow what a pain full loss for the family, my heart is so heavy , ******ahhhhh crying so deep  hhh******** but hey thank you madeowrite you took my words from me , lol zamalel thinks Nigerians here on nairaland are fools and are not intelligent w.t.f. pls give us the names of the madams so we can do justice to them ,i so much hate bank jobs with passion.Never i mean never will i go near it gooosh suffering and smiling
Only God knows if bankers are living or they are surviving,

And again to[size=13pt] zamalel[/size] you are such a coward for condescending so low to tell us cheap lies, i believe you  are part of the culprits, i pray u aren't cos if u are mmmmmmm am really sorry for your sorry backside. , mhen nairaland koni gba e mo oh
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by james1(m): 10:27am On Oct 17, 2010
May her soul rest in peace.
The foreign companies operating in nigeria have different policie's here for Nigeria oil companie's rarely place Nigeria professional's where they place european or american's and you will find out that both men are equally qualified.
As for the activitie's of these companie's,government has the power's to decide how it citizen's be treated.the blame rest squarely at the door step of the ministery of the interior.
They it was that should protect the interest of Nigeria's here.anyone with contact in that ministery?
Thanks to those of you who have been giving this happen stance publicity.please keep at it.
It is possible that someone high Up in the bank or a clique exist's that hate the late lady's gutts;otherwise how doe's one explain that a person that has risen to managerial level can be treated like that?
If she gets this cold treatment,what happen's to the lower cadre,the cleaner's?
We must learn to realign our way's and re-cast our mentalitie's,if the job don't treat you well,it is not worth keeping.
Yes,employment is not rampant,that doe's not mean one kill's oneself trying to keep one.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by toloz: 2:48pm On Oct 17, 2010
'obaz' n tunde, if u dey so sure about your info why no present am to managemnet. if na tru i sure say dey go sack the bosses,
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by james1(m): 3:14pm On Oct 17, 2010
Should this matter get all the real publicity,true,those that acted in complicity will be dealt with accordingly.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by toloz: 4:35pm On Oct 17, 2010
James1. that's d problem. e-pentium and v-wealthy na staff wey dey use nairaland hide and lie lie. the poor girl family even dey complain say who tell people dey no get money. another problem be say me i be staff for SCB and i know e-pentium and v-wealthy well well. should i tell management? nairalanders, please advise, if management know so i know they fit sack me and i know wan loose my job.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by Ranoscky(m): 7:42am On Oct 18, 2010
^^
je kpala akwu ta'a nwoke'm.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by deeplo(m): 10:27am On Oct 18, 2010
i dont know what to do to help so i just post this on a bbc website, http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2010/10/biodiversity_lost_or_missing.html#postcomment

We nigeria need to rise up and make this country better. This act is very bad, kai!
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by mooyguy(m): 7:25pm On Oct 19, 2010
It is indeed a sad story and i feel for the family of the late. I imagine what the management has to say to the direct boss he should be sacked imeediatley because he is not a gopod manager
1. someone is not at work and it was not reported for such a condition.
2. The HR claiming ignorance of such issue is outragoeus - no aaccountability or record of staff on duty.

I will say categorically that the management of SCB has really hired wrong guy fro the work of the man who has 1. delayed the fund and also did not report this to the HR and if it was reported to HR and the HR has deliberately came to the assistance of the deceased, the organistaion totally in a mess and should be question by the world human right body.

I will finally say this is personal. It is an act of cruelty.

I wil advise my fellow bankers do your best to take care of yourself first i have learnt alot of lesson.
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by holydante(m): 4:33pm On Oct 20, 2010
hello Guys;

I sincerely believe the aim of this post of the sad demise of a promising young lady is to bring to light the inhuman and barbaric work conditions that Nigerians are subjected to in their various place of work and possibly trigger a reactionary series of events that could help assist in making working conditions better for existing and yet-to-die-helpless-working-folks

*granted that scb is a profit making organisation (scb Nigeria's staff cost to income ratio is less than 30% - one of the lowest you can get in the industry), the implication (apologies to Tu-face) is that the cost allocated to staff salaries and welfare is infinitesimal, if in doubt, pleas check their last years financials.

*Is it morally right for a corporate entity to earn its wealth in isolation of the welfare of its staff who sweat blood day and night to help it post the amazing profits it declares to the group on yearly basis. The lady in question gave her entire working career to scb,if she had been a top management staff or one of the many o'yes loyalists of the 'indicted bosses' , will she have been left out this way to die a lonely death?

*@ James1, its a foreign owned bank albeit, but it is Nigerians that occupy the top positions in the country although the country MD is a white, but to the best of my knowledge he is just a figurative and ceremonial head. its our fellow black Nija heads that run the place.

*@ Zamalel et al, i respect your right to hide under a pseudonym and spread falsehood(you should know better than lie against the soul of a deceased girl of 30 years); its apparent you are a staff and possibly one of the bosses or a crony of the  affected bosses. so you 'a stranger' walked into standard chartered Ahmadu Bello way and had audience with its HR head and also a late staffs account details was shown to you? you must simply be a Shakespearean minstrel living in the 21st century, you cannot pull the wool over our eyes on this issue. The facts of the matter is clear

*Gross negligence to show human sympathy to a dedicated loyal staff in dire need of medical assistance
*The banks HR especially the arm that handles its consumer banking staff is grossly incompetent and a rubber stamp unit, who could not even account for the whereabouts of its own staff or the reason for the cut in her salary
*the over bearing attitude of her so called direct boss or line manager to single handedly determine the fate of this poor lady as regards her salary issue, delay in handing out contributed sympathy funds to her and so many other issues begging for answer.

e-pentium  does not need to go see the management with facts, the fellow did well to bring this to light, it is left for the humane ones with the milk of human kindness among them to tackle the rot in its consumer banking arm and am positive that something is in the offing, Surely the chickens will come home to roost on this issue and you will shamefully like the ostrich bury your head in the sand.

I respectfully rest my case for now
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by toloz: 6:59pm On Oct 20, 2010
e-pent and v. if U no report yurself, I go tell. Chariots, how una go lie and u tink God no go ponish u. Ma man (No 2), u supoze respect yurself with your little beauties, cool
Re: A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff by Ericmanuel: 6:25pm On Oct 21, 2010
Hello guys,

I am with the 'TRUE CRIME' - NIGERIA'S PRIME CRIME NEWSPAPER.  We publish complaints of the public. We will forward complaints to the appropriate authorities and press for a thorough and impartial investigation.

This particular sad story needs to get to the appropriate quarters, as a result, I am beckoning on anyone who has vital information regarding this to grant me a full interview.

I would also ask that the initial reporter of this story please get across to me ASAP.

Please send all information to me on e.truecrime@gmail.com or call me directly on 07025045607.

Look out for the paper on Monday at the news stands

Yours truly

(1) (2) (3) (4)

What's Your Current Challenge At Your Place Of Work? / In One Sentence Describe Your Boss. / Can Anybody Give Us Info On Institute Of Chatered Secretaries And Administraton

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.