Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,336 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" (31066 Views)

Technology Creating New Generations Of Illiterates In Nigeria – Wole Soyinka / Soyinka Blasts Emir Of Ilorin, Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari, For Banning Isese Festival / #TwitterBan: Wole Soyinka Blasts IPOB, ESN, Calls Them Soulmates Of Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Neoteny(m): 6:57pm On Jul 18, 2019
And what is your duty to your nation in that regard?

All you ever did was introduce cultism, and for the past 30 years you've done nothing of literary repute, besides constituting yourself into a cynical academic and public menace full of criticism and no contribution to society.

Is there a greater illiterate than a pushy plane seat occupier who refused to respect the seat number on his ticket simply because his ego is bigger than his outrageous hair?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Litmus: 6:57pm On Jul 18, 2019
I don't believe Soyenka know them quite well enough; if he did, he wouldn't surreptitiously be encouraging them to rise up. Informed by what I read daily, the youth have mentally retrograded to the status of primitive ethnocentric bigots. Resorection led by them wouldn't usher in a new age of progress and prosperity but rather bloody anarchy and irrecoverable retrogression. Nigeria would be better advised to plod along, progress may be slow but at least there will be one.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by tsavde(m): 7:00pm On Jul 18, 2019
Tamasaba:
Who school help? Naso una go push youths go school. After school you go tell them say work no dey say make them go learn handwork. Nonsense. Illiteracy don take over. School dey favour people like u wey dem dey pay as visiting lecturer for different universities. U just dey talk to protect ur interest and customers(students). Without students them fire u. Nonsense

After all dis advice. c the kind of grammar wey u come write.
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by azikiweironsi(m): 7:00pm On Jul 18, 2019
kunmiiii:

Woow!! Lol....You're so unaware and oblivious that you just proved Professor Soyinka's point to the letter, makes it even more hilarious and amusing! grin

Soyinka is truly a sage!

Likewise here . I can't imagine but laughed because he just proved the Noble Laureate right.
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Adejal: 7:04pm On Jul 18, 2019
Na ur generation fail dis country

Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Tonnierichy(m): 7:04pm On Jul 18, 2019
Tamasaba:
Who school help? Naso una go push youths go school. After school you go tell them say work no dey say make them go learn handwork. Nonsense. Illiteracy don take over. School dey favour people like u wey dem dey pay as visiting lecturer for different universities. U just dey talk to protect ur interest and customers(students). Without students them fire u. Nonsense

Shut up jor
Typical!
Always the first to comment rubbish

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Adejal: 7:06pm On Jul 18, 2019
D
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by jcross19: 7:07pm On Jul 18, 2019
azikiweironsi:

Sit down there and wait for him to direct your fight to the President and CJN. Let me enlighten you if you don't know history. The man you called nonsense achieved more than you are now in his youth. They even faced with military junta. Carried out series of protests with Solarin, Gani Fawehinmi, Benibeko Ransomekuti etc.. They went to jail several times. Read his book THE MAN DIED. Of course I won't be surprise if you had never heard of it before. Youth of nowadays like yours never reads but spend hours on internet, instagram etc.
Still waiting for old generation to fight for them. What a pity. Not even understood his message before jumping to castigate him.
I heard he was the founder of pirate confraternity in UI then right! in my own opinion he should keep quiet.
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Tonnierichy(m): 7:07pm On Jul 18, 2019
SoftP:
Coming from a literate selfish old guru...

& U were so wise enough to support the dethronement of an educated man over an illiterate Mallam to rule over ur country, all because of ur selfish desire.

& That lil kid was wise enough to kick u out of his own seat,
most of y'all old men don't deserve sympathy in 9ja

Address what he said. Don't be dumb

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by chubinwa(m): 7:10pm On Jul 18, 2019
Flashyoil1:

http://saharareporters.com/2019/07/18/stop-writing-rubbish-internet-soyinka-tells-nigerian-youths
To me, education is not the the answer to a developing country like ours. Science and technology would have been a better option. Education without practical demonstration, dat one na education

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by shogsman(m): 7:11pm On Jul 18, 2019
mystic77:
I totally support his claim..isn't it the same youth's that protested about COZA over a mere allegation but cannot protest over Ruga.

Isn't it the same youth's complaining about unemployment but are busy watching bbnaija, even wasting the hard earned money they begged from family or friends to vote

Isn't it the same youth's that prefers PDP to APC and vice versa

Isn't it the same youth's who read topic without reading write-up and jump to comment... Even here on NL

Isn't the same youth that do not have a mind of there own but only repeat what a politician or celebrity says.

Same youth's who care less who is ther LG chairman but blame FG all there life

Same youth's who only criticize the government of other regions but care less about what is going on in there respective home, just to score cheap political goal

Same youth's will still wait for there grand father's mate to lead a protest for them

It's a shame I can't like a comment twice,you're blessed.
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Weathered: 7:11pm On Jul 18, 2019
Tamasaba:

So the essence of school or education is to get job? Looolz.
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 18, 2019
Flashyoil1:

http://saharareporters.com/2019/07/18/stop-writing-rubbish-internet-soyinka-tells-nigerian-youths

All that rubbish and hullabaloo over the plane seat was a rude awakening to the empty headed youth who have wasted their access to the Internet
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by bigtt76(f): 7:16pm On Jul 18, 2019
The Sahara reporter who posted this is one of the reason Prof Soyinka is yabbing the youths cheesy

When I decided to build my century sanctuary in the forest, I bought a second-hand diesel generator and asked someone to dig a borehole"

Flashyoil1:

Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by shogsman(m): 7:21pm On Jul 18, 2019
Neoteny:
And what is your duty to your nation in that regard?

All you ever did was introduce cultism, and for the past 30 years you've done nothing of literary repute, besides constituting yourself into a cynical academic and public menace full of criticism and no contribution to society.

Is there a greater illiterate than a pushy plane seat occupier who refused to respect the seat number on his ticket simply because his ego is bigger than his outrageous hair?
Grammars doesn't depict knowledge, you're uniformed.
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Dedetwo(m): 7:23pm On Jul 18, 2019
Flashyoil1:

Stop Writing Rubbish On The Internet, Soyinka Tells Nigerian Youths

Prof. Wole Soyinka has said that Nigerian youths are full of spunk abroad, but gas at home.

He advised them to make good use of their time and stop writing rubbish on the Internet.

Soyinka said this at the official launch of Solution 17, in Lagos, Vanguard reports.

He said, “Nigerian youths are full of spunk outside but when they are inside Nigeria, they are full of gas. We are building a generation of illiterates. They are the first to comment on the internet on issues they are ignorant about. When you talk about education, I get texts from the New Generation and can’t believe these texts are from the youth.’

The Director of the United Nations Information Centre in Lagos, Nigeria, Mr. Ronald Kayanja, recounted his experience as a student in the UK saying, “When I was studying in the UK, many of my friends were Nigerians and whenever we were uncomfortable as African students, we asked the Nigerians to speak for us.

"But when I came to Nigeria and saw the kind of life that Nigerians had accepted, I was shocked. I ask why Nigerians accept abysmal conditions with all of Nigeria’s resources”.

“Africa cannot continue to agonise over poverty, colonisation, and slavery. There is a need to wake up and do something. We cannot wait for the government. Every Nigerian is a leader. Leadership not only refers to political leadership, but a leader is a person who excels in what they do.

“The UN goals are universal and should not be split between developed and developing nations. Do not expect the UN to support you when you have not done anything.”

Kayanja stressed that the UN wanted to mobilise enough Nigerians to make changes using the template of the UN 2030 goals and SDGs adding that the focus should be on mobilising Nigerians who cannot accept to live in pathetic conditions.

Soyinka tasked Nigerian youth to be proactive in demanding their rights from the government.

He said, “The Nigerian youth schooling outside the country reminded me of what it was like to be a student in racist England in the 50s. You always wanted to have a Jamaican with you when you were in a fight because Jamaicans never understood the term, ‘surrender’.

Soyinka added, “They are waiting for Wole Soyinka to lead a march to Aso Rock. It is about time to get off your feet and stop writing rubbish on the Internet about things you do not understand. I do not know how to describe the New Generation beyond a generation of Internet trolls.

“When I decided to build my century in the forest, I bought a second-hand diesel generator and asked someone to dig a borehole. I wanted it to be self-sufficient. What I want to pass on to you is that I thought of the possibility of being self-reliant. This entails that I can come to cooperatives with others and demand things from the government by any means necessary.”

Concerning the details of Solution 17, Soyinka noted that experts have studied the model and it is important that we focus on the details. Quoting the popular phrase, he recalled that “the devil is in the details”.

Kayanja further disclosed that while Nigeria had yet to adopt the Solution 17 UN-endorsed Sustainable Development Goals proposed by the CEO and Project Director of Creative Youth Community Development Initiative, CYCDI, Mrs. Foluke Michael, it has been approved in India, Morocco, and Switzerland as a model to alleviate the major problems facing today’s society.

Any attempt to change the status quo by means necessary shall be branded tribalism. The people should not look farther than January 15, 1966 coup.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by TemmyT002(m): 7:25pm On Jul 18, 2019
He advised them to make good use of their time and stop writing rubbish on the Internet.

I saw the above statement first.
I thought about it and realised that Nigeria is in trouble.
Writing rubbish online is now a virus that has overwhelmed the youths.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by 9jabull: 7:31pm On Jul 18, 2019
Soyinka & Obj should lead the protest against Buhari because they campaigned for him in 2015, how can he change now & want the youth whom he deceived some of them to lead the protest.

Anyway Nigerian youths has no ball to do that only IPOB can.

All hail Biafra.
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Tamasaba: 7:37pm On Jul 18, 2019
pansophist:

Smart idiot. You are exactly the kind of unproductive youth he is referring to. You wrote in pidgin, to shield yourself from being expose as a dimwit incapable of eloquently expressing yourself in English, and you think we wont see through it. Lazy youth
being expose indeed. Oga you no fit stand me for English.
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Trottle: 7:39pm On Jul 18, 2019
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Neoteny(m): 7:42pm On Jul 18, 2019
shogsman:

Nope

I'm in my undies right now

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by plaindealer: 7:44pm On Jul 18, 2019
shogsman:

...it depicts ignorance, illiteracy, irrational and illogical mindset. It's a major defect and poor foundation.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by MOHSHESHI(m): 7:46pm On Jul 18, 2019
ednut1:
Even with the generation of educated people from his era . Wetin we gain
tell am joor
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Gforce2019: 7:47pm On Jul 18, 2019
mystic77:
I totally support his claim..isn't it the same youth's that protested about COZA over a mere allegation but cannot protest over Ruga.

Isn't it the same youth's complaining about unemployment but are busy watching bbnaija, even wasting the hard earned money they begged from family or friends to vote

Isn't it the same youth's that prefers PDP to APC and vice versa

Isn't it the same youth's who read topic without reading write-up and jump to comment... Even here on NL

Isn't the same youth that do not have a mind of there own but only repeat what a politician or celebrity says.

Same youth's who care less who is ther LG chairman but blame FG all there life

Same youth's who only criticize the government of other regions but care less about what is going on in there respective home, just to score cheap political goal

Same youth's will still wait for there grand father's mate to lead a protest for them

*Same youth will Still wait for their *grandfather's mate to lead a protest for them.
(You are part of the youth Soyinka is talking about...see mistakes.....)
God will help you also.
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by plaindealer: 7:47pm On Jul 18, 2019
Btw, we know the usual ignorant and poor knowledge the Prof opined about, Igbos and their kind.
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Aidejay(m): 7:48pm On Jul 18, 2019
SoftP:
& U were so wise enough to support the dethronement of an educated man over an illiterate Mallam to rule over ur country, all because of ur selfish desire.

wow your words are as idiotic as the night is dark
Last I remember is that there was an election, you know that thing where people go out to vote and be voted for. Some decided to seat at home some decided to contest positions on their beds and now it's soyinkas fault
I can't wait to see what u will achieve with your pathetic life
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jul 18, 2019
I have not heard any truer word since this year.
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Olusheyi1(m): 7:59pm On Jul 18, 2019
I seee
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Ugosample(m): 8:02pm On Jul 18, 2019
Tamasaba:

there is a HUGE difference between schooling and getting a proper education

they are not the same

many in NiggerArea went to school

but very few are educated in the real sense of it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by adekolaelect(m): 8:12pm On Jul 18, 2019
SoftP:

Election's lost hangover is still disturbing this one grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by mystic77(m): 8:18pm On Jul 18, 2019
Gforce2019:

*Same youth will Still wait for their *grandfather's mate to lead a protest for them.
(You are part of the youth Soyinka is talking about...see mistakes.....)
God will help you also.
That was auto-correct..
Re: Wole Soyinka Blasts Youths "Nigeria Is Building A Generation Of Illiterates" by Ladygenny: 8:20pm On Jul 18, 2019

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ignore Asari Dokubo At Your Own Peril, Bashir Tofa Warns FG / Atiku Appoints Dino Melaye, Daniel Bwala As Campaign Spokespersons / Peter Obi Commends The Nigerian That Mounted The Lp's Flag On Mount Kilimanjaro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.