Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,594 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

"Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" (26717 Views)

Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination / Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. / Nigeria Nurse In USA Fights Babydaddys Mum. Why Are Nigeria Nurses Abroad Wicked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by vickyehi: 5:26pm On Jul 24, 2019
IYIMAN:

If you come to the states, you'll go through orientation lasting between 6-12 weeks, working with a preceptor, so no problem.
Yes I know about WGU and you can finish your BSN in 4 months if you are dedicated. It is a professional degree, well recognised. But if you're more interested in becoming a DNP.. You have to think of an academic Bsn program.

I spoke with a DNP program director at Binghamton university New York and the lady said they recognize WGU and a Cgpa was just a little portion of the admission process. I know lots of programs accepts WGU grads but I was concerned about their "street cred".
Their tuition is the most affordable I have seen. Obtaining by BSN for less than 4k would be nice. So I could have sufficient money for the MSN or DNP or whatever I choose to do.
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by vickyehi: 5:27pm On Jul 24, 2019
dorabel94:
Thanks Boss Iyiman for this thread. I want to ask about the academic BSN program. Which school will you recommend. I'm considering choosing between University of Texas, Arlington and Grand Canyon University for my BSN. How good are these two schools and which other school will you recommend. I'm awaiting i140 approval. Thank you sir

I am also awaiting i140 approval. Please share your timeline if you dont mind.
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by Rutherford2019: 6:21pm On Jul 24, 2019
barbiee:
I'm so grateful for this thread, it was long overdue but before I say anything if you are not abroad yet and want to know how you can immigrate as a nurse then follow the link above to the other thread where you can be guided in this process.
With that being said, I will go ahead and share my little experience in diaspora.
As some of you may already know I was on route to USA through the cgfns process but had to stop halfway due to situations beyond my control. During my time off I decided to look into the UK which turned out to be a good idea because few months after I started the process I landed here. I highly recommend this route if you are tired of waiting in Nigeria, you can go to the uk and work while you pursue your American, Canadian or Australian dream. The last time I checked there is a big difference between 10 pounds and 10 naira.

1. I had no issues with immigration, Nursing is on the shortage occupation list so it was easy. my visa was granted within 15 working days without having a visa interview. my employer paid for my visa and flights.

2. I landed in Manchester UK in April and what hit me first was not the fancy airport or buildings, nah it was the cold. My teeth were clattering and I was trying so hard not to appear shaky. it was supposed to be spring but it didnt feel like spring to me though. The cold was real but what was more real was the wind. Everyone kept saying I'm lucky i arrived this period because it was warm and I was like well maybe its warm to you but definitely not to me.

3,4. Working here is different from how we do it back home in Nigeria, we have to explain everything to the patient and get consent before carrying out any procedure. Handwashing nkor? I now carry hand lotion in my pocket because of it, another culture shock is addressing my boss with his or her name. No more sir or ma, they dont even like it when you say mr or mrs in front of their name, secondly I only noticed this when I got here, Nigerians say the word sorry a lot even when it's not necessary and up till today I'm still guilty of this. When someone gets hurt the first thing that comes out of my mouth is sorry and he/she will be like oh it's not your fault grin grin thirdly, there is no doctor yelling at you here because that is verbal abuse, everyone does what they are expected to do and not pass their job to someone else. Lastly, you are accountable for all your decisions and actions.

5. Work, make money, further education, travel etc

6. To all Aspiring Nurses, make hay while the sun shines, NMC uk has made the process of immigrating to uk easier and faster, do not waste your opportunities, stop wishing and start acting on those dreams. There is no better time to start this process than now.
Ps. I'm still going to pursue my usa registration but until that time comes, let me jejely enjoy my pounds.
More stories and pictures coming soon.
@tunjinodayoff
@incredible
Hello Barbie...
I received my DL on 27th June and got my TB certificate on 8th July..I applied for COS on 13th..
I'm still waiting for the COS...
My agency told me that it usually comes out from 11th of every month (hopefully August)..
My worry is that my police clearance certificate will expire on 9th August and that's the certificate I have been using throughout the application process..
Do I need to get a new police clearance certificate or can I use this one during my Visa application and biometric..
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by dorabel94: 6:47pm On Jul 24, 2019
My i140 was filed May 19th, got an RFE. RFE responded. Waiting for approval. With OGP.
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by fendorf(m): 9:02pm On Jul 24, 2019
dorabel94:
My i140 was filed May 19th, got an RFE. RFE responded. Waiting for approval. With OGP.
are you on OGP pre arrival group on whatsapp?
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by dorabel94: 10:31pm On Jul 24, 2019
Yes I am
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by IYIMAN: 11:05pm On Jul 24, 2019
dorabel94:
Thanks Boss Iyiman for this thread. I want to ask about the academic BSN program. Which school will you recommend. I'm considering choosing between University of Texas, Arlington and Grand Canyon University for my BSN. How good are these two schools and which other school will you recommend. I'm awaiting i140 approval. Thank you sir

Those are 2 great institutions, any of the 2 is fine. Check the grants/scholarships/Discount/loans available for each and decide.

1 Like

Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by IYIMAN: 11:08pm On Jul 24, 2019
vickyehi:

I spoke with a DNP program director at Binghamton university New York and the lady said they recognize WGU and a Cgpa was just a little portion of the admission process. I know lots of programs accepts WGU grads but I was concerned about their "street cred".
Their tuition is the most affordable I have seen. Obtaining by BSN for less than 4k would be nice. So I could have sufficient money for the MSN or DNP or whatever I choose to do.

That's great. Though not all institutions accept it. Not only that the tuition is unbelievably low... You can finish in 3-4 months... People have done it.

1 Like

Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by dorabel94: 12:21pm On Jul 25, 2019
Thanks Boss �
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by vickyehi: 5:45pm On Jul 25, 2019
dorabel94:
Am guessing it was premium processing?
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by dorabel94: 5:53pm On Jul 25, 2019
Yes it was

1 Like

Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by barbiee: 8:25am On Jul 28, 2019
Rutherford2019:

Hello Barbie...
I received my DL on 27th June and got my TB certificate on 8th July..I applied for COS on 13th..
I'm still waiting for the COS...
My agency told me that it usually comes out from 11th of every month (hopefully August)..
My worry is that my police clearance certificate will expire on 9th August and that's the certificate I have been using throughout the application process..
Do I need to get a new police clearance certificate or can I use this one during my Visa application and biometric..
You will need a new PCC for visa application but make you that you keep the old one safe because you need to show it to NMC during your last document verification.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by barbiee: 9:13am On Jul 28, 2019
Storytime;
last week when I went to work I was told I will be the Nurse in charge heading my unit on 25/07 and I panicked, I thought it was too early to give me this role and I complained but everyone said I was ready except me. I kept imagining things falling apart and being clueless as to what to do but somehow I managed to stay calm on the exterior. Fast forward to that day.
I went to work early, took over and the shift started. It was stressful I wont lie trying to figure out some things on my own, I couldn't go on my break because there was so much to do and even after handing over by 8pm, I stayed an extra hour to ensure all tasks from my shift was completed.
Things I learned from this exercise
1. You will never think you are ready for that new commitment or responsibility until you start.
I didn't know I could do everything I did on Thursday so I learned to have a little more faith in myself.

2. Sometimes you need to sacrifice your personal comfort to get to your goal. In my case, I didnt go on my break meaning I didnt eat or drink the entire day because I didn't want to be behind time.

3. Be organized. Take one step at a time, dont try to do everything at once because the pressure will overwhelm you. Now that I think of it, if I was more organized who knows, I might have gone on my break.

4. Don't act like you know it all otherwise you will fail. I have worked with care assistants and the best way to gain their respect is to show them you are just like them. When you leave Nigeria please drop that 'I'm a nurse and you are a carer attitude' at the airport and be humble enough to learn from everybody irrespective of their job title or age. We work as a team here with the patient as our main focus.

5. Documentation is vital, if it wasn't documented then it was not done. Do not document first before Carrying out the task because anything can happen between those few moments.

6. Be ready to learn and unlearn some practices. Nursing abroad is all about responsibilities, you are accountable to the NMC and they have a working system here.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by Zinny18: 1:30am On Jul 30, 2019
Please how long did it take you people after passing cbt and ielts to get to UK?

Please share your timeline.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by Hadewumi: 5:35am On Jul 30, 2019
To the Uk nurses, please, Is it possible to combine work with an MSc nursing program?
If yes how easy?
Thanks
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by fendorf(m): 7:53am On Jul 30, 2019
I-140 approval is now a nightmare. People waiting for 3-8 months for 1-140 approval. Any pointer to the cause of the delay?
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by Missnonny: 6:39pm On Aug 03, 2019
Please how can a Registered Nurse migrate to USA... And which agency is more preferable, dat can sponsor u for ur Nclex.
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by fendorf(m): 8:11pm On Aug 03, 2019
Missnonny:
Please how can a Registered Nurse migrate to USA... And which agency is more preferable, dat can sponsor u for ur Nclex.
https://www.nairaland.com/2863557/nigerian-nurses-midwives-dream-working
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by Zinny18: 11:23pm On Aug 04, 2019
Missnonny:

Shearwater Health
Westway
Avant
Ogp
Kennedy etc
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by kessel: 1:33pm On Aug 15, 2019
I am in Australia and transferring my license from Nigeria is quite a process. Very costly and rigorous. It’s not a process one can just jump into.
IYIMAN:
tpiar

TheArchangel

JustHere2Oberv

tpiaobsession

gratefulme40

kessel

Paralysis

MPVGoddess

vickyehi.

Your inputs and experiences will be useful here.

Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by THUNDER4real(m): 5:47pm On Aug 15, 2019
kessel:
I am in Australia and transferring my license from Nigeria is quite a process. Very costly and rigorous. It’s not a process one can just jump into.
hi, please can you highlight to us the process involved. thanks.
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by luvissweet2f(f): 2:54pm On Aug 16, 2019
fendorf:
are you on OGP pre arrival group on whatsapp?
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by luvissweet2f(f): 3:07pm On Aug 16, 2019
dorabel94:
Yes I am
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by fendorf(m): 4:30pm On Aug 16, 2019
luvissweet2f:

Pls how do I join the group.
I'm with OGP.

send your number.
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by suzie04: 7:45pm On Aug 22, 2019
Please I need a link to nurses that are already in UK through agency sponsorship. I have offers from MSI and Xander Hendrix. I want to know the opinion of anyone that used either of these agencies? How supportive are they?
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by erico2k2(m): 9:12pm On Aug 22, 2019
barbiee:
I'm so grateful for this thread, it was long overdue but before I say anything if you are not abroad yet and want to know how you can immigrate as a nurse then follow the link above to the other thread where you can be guided in this process.
With that being said, I will go ahead and share my little experience in diaspora.
As some of you may already know I was on route to USA through the cgfns process but had to stop halfway due to situations beyond my control. During my time off I decided to look into the UK which turned out to be a good idea because few months after I started the process I landed here. I highly recommend this route if you are tired of waiting in Nigeria, you can go to the uk and work while you pursue your American, Canadian or Australian dream. The last time I checked there is a big difference between 10 pounds and 10 naira.

1. I had no issues with immigration, Nursing is on the shortage occupation list so it was easy. my visa was granted within 15 working days without having a visa interview. my employer paid for my visa and flights.

2. I landed in Manchester UK in April and what hit me first was not the fancy airport or buildings, nah it was the cold. My teeth were clattering and I was trying so hard not to appear shaky. it was supposed to be spring but it didnt feel like spring to me though. The cold was real but what was more real was the wind. Everyone kept saying I'm lucky i arrived this period because it was warm and I was like well maybe its warm to you but definitely not to me.

3,4. Working here is different from how we do it back home in Nigeria, we have to explain everything to the patient and get consent before carrying out any procedure. Handwashing nkor? I now carry hand lotion in my pocket because of it, another culture shock is addressing my boss with his or her name. No more sir or ma, they dont even like it when you say mr or mrs in front of their name, secondly I only noticed this when I got here, Nigerians say the word sorry a lot even when it's not necessary and up till today I'm still guilty of this. When someone gets hurt the first thing that comes out of my mouth is sorry and he/she will be like oh it's not your fault grin grin thirdly, there is no doctor yelling at you here because that is verbal abuse, everyone does what they are expected to do and not pass their job to someone else. Lastly, you are accountable for all your decisions and actions.

6. To all Aspiring Nurses, make hay while the sun shines, NMC uk has made the process of immigrating to uk easier and faster, do not waste your opportunities, stop wishing and start acting on those dreams. There is no better time to start this process than now.
Ps. I'm still going to pursue my usa registration but until that time comes, let me jejely enjoy my pounds.
@tunjinodayoff
@incredible
Mind, sharing ur process cos I have concerns in helping someone back in 9ja, Im in London btw
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by lovelyd89: 6:57am On Aug 23, 2019
suzie04:
Please I need a link to nurses that are already in UK through agency sponsorship. I have offers from MSI and Xander Hendrix. I want to know the opinion of anyone that used either of these agencies? How supportive are they?

I haven't heard about the other agency but I worked with MSI for my application and I can say for sure that they are very very supportive and prompt to respond to any of your enquiries. I hope this helps.
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by suzie04: 4:11pm On Aug 23, 2019
Thank you @ lovelyd89 for your prompt response. Permit me to ask if they reimbursed everything they promised and you are only paying back the salary advance and IHS?

Please which Hospital are you working? Do you know anything about Frimley?
I wouldn't mind to chat with you on suzie04@yahoo.com
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by defunk: 4:29pm On Aug 24, 2019
fendorf:
I-140 approval is now a nightmare. People waiting for 3-8 months for 1-140 approval. Any pointer to the cause of the delay?
w
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by Rene55: 6:33pm On Aug 24, 2019
Please my question is directed to Every nurses working in the UK. Pls Can A RM also apply to work in the UK same process of the IELTS, AND UK NMC CBT? Thank You. God bless Nursing Profession.
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by Arhmiee(f): 12:57am On Sep 30, 2019
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by Nobody: 10:24pm On Sep 30, 2019
barbiee:

please, what was the minimum number of years of experience required.

@tunjinodayoff
@incredible

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pictures Of Most Haunted Places In The World / 20 Dead As Dams Burst In Bahia, Brazil As Region Hit By Floods(photos, Video) / La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.