Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,353 members, 7,815,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

"Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" (26718 Views)

Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination / Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. / Nigeria Nurse In USA Fights Babydaddys Mum. Why Are Nigeria Nurses Abroad Wicked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by Nobody: 10:30pm On Sep 30, 2019
barbiee:
I'm so grateful for this thread, it was long overdue but before I say anything if you are not abroad yet and want to know how you can immigrate as a nurse then follow the link above to the other thread where you can be guided in this process.
With that being said, I will go ahead and share my little experience in diaspora.
As some of you may already know I was on route to USA through the cgfns process but had to stop halfway due to situations beyond my control. During my time off I decided to look into the UK which turned out to be a good idea because few months after I started the process I landed here. I highly recommend this route if you are tired of waiting in Nigeria, you can go to the uk and work while you pursue your American, Canadian or Australian dream. The last time I checked there is a big difference between 10 pounds and 10 naira.

1. I had no issues with immigration, Nursing is on the shortage occupation list so it was easy. my visa was granted within 15 working days without having a visa interview. my employer paid for my visa and flights.

please, what was the minimum number of years of experience required.

2. I landed in Manchester UK in April and what hit me first was not the fancy airport or buildings, nah it was the cold. My teeth were clattering and I was trying so hard not to appear shaky. it was supposed to be spring but it didnt feel like spring to me though. The cold was real but what was more real was the wind. Everyone kept saying I'm lucky i arrived this period because it was warm and I was like well maybe its warm to you but definitely not to me.

3,4. Working here is different from how we do it back home in Nigeria, we have to explain everything to the patient and get consent before carrying out any procedure. Handwashing nkor? I now carry hand lotion in my pocket because of it, another culture shock is addressing my boss with his or her name. No more sir or ma, they dont even like it when you say mr or mrs in front of their name, secondly I only noticed this when I got here, Nigerians say the word sorry a lot even when it's not necessary and up till today I'm still guilty of this. When someone gets hurt the first thing that comes out of my mouth is sorry and he/she will be like oh it's not your fault grin grin thirdly, there is no doctor yelling at you here because that is verbal abuse, everyone does what they are expected to do and not pass their job to someone else. Lastly, you are accountable for all your decisions and actions.

5. Work, make money, further education, travel etc

6. To all Aspiring Nurses, make hay while the sun shines, NMC uk has made the process of immigrating to uk easier and faster, do not waste your opportunities, stop wishing and start acting on those dreams. There is no better time to start this process than now.
Ps. I'm still going to pursue my usa registration but until that time comes, let me jejely enjoy my pounds.
More stories and pictures coming soon.
@tunjinodayoff
@incredible

please as regards the shortage occupation list ( I.e. no one above). What is the minimum years of experience required.??
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by joungblood(m): 1:11am On Oct 01, 2019
Please house, some questions, can someone who study art be a nurse? O level student, which place is the best nursing school in lagos, what's the duration and cost. And mostly is it possible for a art study o level to just go into nursing?
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by Theyoungmatron: 8:44am On Oct 04, 2019
joungblood:
Please house, some questions, can someone who study art be a nurse? O level student, which place is the best nursing school in lagos, what's the duration and cost. And mostly is it possible for a art study o level to just go into nursing?
You need sciences to study nursing. English, Maths, Biology, Physics and Chemistry.
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by joungblood(m): 1:20pm On Oct 04, 2019
Thanks for ur reply.. So u mean that there's no hope for someone that studied art to learn nursing? No back door or nothing?
Theyoungmatron:
You need sciences to study nursing. English, Maths, Biology, Physics and Chemistry.
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by Beautyaddy: 1:47pm On Oct 04, 2019
joungblood:
Thanks for ur reply.. So u mean that there's no hope for someone that studied art to learn nursing? No back door or nothing?

Huh ...What do you mean by "back door"? Fraud?
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by canadiandamsel: 7:12pm On Oct 04, 2019
joungblood:
You may register and write science subjects in GCE
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by joungblood(m): 11:11pm On Oct 04, 2019
Ok
canadiandamsel:
You may register and write science subjects in GCE
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by Theyoungmatron: 8:22am On Oct 07, 2019
joungblood:
You don't learn nursing, you study and train to be a nurse.
There is no shortcut.
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by barbiee: 5:17pm On Oct 21, 2019
Arhmiee:

Please Ma, I have a question. I just graduated from school but I have not written license exam yet due to some reasons beyond my control. I learnt that the new policy allows nurses without prior registration to now apply. Ma, pls must I use an agency to get a job in the UK or can I apply on my own.
You can apply on your own. Things are rapidly changing so I will really advice you to write the necessary exams asap especially the CBT because a new test will be Introduced in Jan 2020 and no one knows if it will be easier or more difficult.

1 Like

Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by barbiee: 5:19pm On Oct 21, 2019
Igbasonproff1:

please as regards the shortage occupation list ( I.e. no one above). What is the minimum years of experience required.??
You no longer need to get experience after your nursing school, NMC has removed that requirement. Now you can apply as soon as you finish nursing school

2 Likes

Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by barbiee: 5:32pm On Oct 21, 2019
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by barbiee: 5:39pm On Oct 21, 2019
Rene55:
Please my question is directed to Every nurses working in the UK. Pls Can A RM also apply to work in the UK same process of the IELTS, AND UK NMC CBT? Thank You. God bless Nursing Profession.
yes you can apply to be a midwife in the UK, it's the same process. Just Indicate on the application form on your NMC portal that you are applying for midwifery and register for CBT midwifery
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by barbiee: 5:41pm On Oct 21, 2019
erico2k2:

Mind, sharing ur process cos I have concerns in helping someone back in 9ja, Im in London btw
I went through the same process every nurse has to go through
IELTS
CBT
OSCE.
What are your concerns?

1 Like

Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by barbiee: 5:42pm On Oct 21, 2019
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by barbiee: 5:45pm On Oct 21, 2019
Hadewumi:
To the Uk nurses, please, Is it possible to combine work with an MSc nursing program?
If yes how easy?
Thanks
Yes it is possible but you will have to inform your employer so that they can work around your schedule
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by siwajus: 8:48pm On Oct 21, 2019
Do I need to evaluate my nursing degree result also and how do I go about it
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by siwajus: 8:50pm On Oct 21, 2019
DID u do these exam OSCE in Nigeria or it was when u get there
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by finfol007(m): 4:43pm On Oct 25, 2019
IELTS
CBT are both done in Naija while OSCE is done in the uk. @barbie chat me up on whatsapp...
siwajus:

DID u do these exam OSCE in Nigeria or it was when u get there
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by Luchiano54: 10:43pm On Nov 02, 2019
You really did justice to this topic. Thank you so much,Barbiee
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by barbiee: 11:22pm On Nov 03, 2019
Luchiano54:
You really did justice to this topic. Thank you so much,Barbiee
Thanks
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by barbiee: 11:25pm On Nov 03, 2019
finfol007:
IELTS
CBT are both done in Naija while OSCE is done in the uk. @barbie chat me up on whatsapp...
CBT was done in Nigeria. OSCE can only be done in selected centers in the UK.
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by IYIMAN: 2:41am On Nov 04, 2019
Barbiee, kudos

2 Likes

Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by barbiee: 10:08am On Nov 04, 2019
IYIMAN:
Barbiee, kudos
Thanks

1 Like

Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by finfol007(m): 9:38am On Nov 07, 2019
Nice video, very cool. misplaced your number. Missed chatting with you.

barbiee:
[url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzl_qfg7c_w
Hi Fam, I just uploaded a video on youtube explaining the step by step process of starting and completing your registration as a Nurse in the UK using the new NMC process that was introduced on the 7th of Oct. Please check it out and feel free to ask your questions. Please dont forget to LIKE, SHARE, COMMENT and SUBSCRIBE.
I love you all.

@finfol007 xup?
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by THUNDER4real(m): 10:41pm On Dec 09, 2019
For nurses in usa..

Most agencies pay for one month rent and give them some stipend on arrival.

my question:

Does anyone that has migrated successfully as an agency nurse, know the minimum amount a nurse should have before traveling to U.S to enable the nurse settle down??
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by Holocene(m): 10:29pm On Dec 13, 2019
Is shearwater in Nigeria? I know some Philipino nurses who use the agency
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by fendorf(m): 6:39am On Dec 14, 2019
THUNDER4real:
For nurses in usa..

Most agencies pay for one month rent and give them some stipend on arrival.

my question:

Does anyone that has migrated successfully as an agency nurse, know the minimum amount a nurse should have before traveling to U.S to enable the nurse settle down??
7k-10kUSD
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by THUNDER4real(m): 8:53am On Dec 14, 2019
fendorf:
7k-10kUSD
Thanks, that is much my friend. I wonder what the money will be used for? After Nclex and everything, u will start saving towards about N3.5 mill??
That my initial question, if well answered by nurses that are already there will help upcoming nurses that are planning to migrate to U.S .
Re: "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" by fendorf(m): 9:20am On Dec 14, 2019
THUNDER4real:
Thanks, that is much my friend. I wonder what the money will be used for? After Nclex and everything, u will start saving towards about N3.5 mill??
That my initial question, if well answered by nurses that are already there will help upcoming nurses that are planning to migrate to U.S .
that was what ogrady Peyton told us to bring along.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pictures Of Most Haunted Places In The World / 20 Dead As Dams Burst In Bahia, Brazil As Region Hit By Floods(photos, Video) / La Campagne Tropicana - What's Your Experience?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.